00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

gabmaster5 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

2020 Retrospective

6,852 Views | 59 Replies
Respond to this Topic

2020 Retrospective 2020-12-31 10:47:41

I updated the NG history to include the remainder of 2020 and instead of re-inventing the wheel, I’ve copy and pasted it in this post as a retrospective. I’m not sure if that makes me efficient or lazy! I did end up adding additional thoughts in the first reply, after hitting the character limit for this post.

This would be a good time to note your favorite NG happenings of 2020, in case the history needs additional updates. My writing isn’t very elegant due to all the information I’m dumping out; hopefully I’ll improve it over time.

2020 Retrospective

We kicked off the new decade with a campaign to transition Newgrounds away from third party ads, with an emphasis on the Supporter upgrade.

In January we celebrated Pixel Day and announced a Phaser Game Jam, using the free Phaser game development framework.

Ruffle Flash emulation was introduced on select Flash content, with more and more classic content crossing over with each incremental update. If you’re a fan of Flash preservation, consider becoming a Ruffle sponsor!

In March, COVID-19 triggered a global pandemic and many communities went into lockdown. During this first month, we updated the private messaging system to be mobile friendly, kicked off a HaxeFlixel Game Jam, with the theme "Alone, Together" and hosted a Shelter in Place Art Jam.

In April we introduced Stripe payments for our Supporter upgrade and updated this Wiki layout to look better on mobile. We also hosted a Talking Pet Animation Jam!

May included Pico Day and the Musk Jam; an animation jam inspired by Elon Musk.

In June we hosted a Persona 4 art contest.

July introduced back-to-back video watching in our playlists, collections and search, with a test of our new video player. We also launched our Neo Geo Jam.

In August, @MindChamber hosted Robot Day, @Sevi hosted the Music Inspired Art contest, @NickConter hosted a NEAR DEADline art contest, the Clock Crew celebrated Clock Day, @Xinxinix hosted a pARTy contest and @TheNewgroundsPodcast hosted a Summer Block Party! It's cool to see the community step up to host so many events all at once.

@Krinkels hosted Madness Day in September and we announced our Among Us Jam, inspired by the huge success of Among Us. Among Us creators @PuffballsUnited, @ForteBass and @Aemu all have history on NG and were interviewed by TheNewgroundsPodcast!

September also saw the release of the infamous Final Fantasy VII Collab. Bring a raincoat!

We capped September with the formal launch of our new video player, with a wider layout, 4K support and frame by frame scrubbing.

In October, Ruffle achieved a milestone where Flash games made with AS2 now have working medals and high scores. We celebrated our annual Halloween Spooktacular and made ongoing improvements to the new video player.

@JohnMontoya hosted a SNES Music Contest with celebrity judges and @Troisnyx hosted a Worst Song Competition after the event went on a five year hiatus.

@Spadezer wrapped up the final round of the annual Audio Deathmatch.

In November we kicked off another drawing tablet giveaway. This time we solicited support from the community and raised almost $4,000!. As of the end of the year, 51 tablets have been shipped out and 37 have been announced via daily news posts. Each daily post includes a featured Flash game that is now running without Flash thanks to Ruffle. The daily posts will continue in 2021!

@Cleod-9 hosted a Fraymakers Art Contest, to coincide with the Fraymakers Kickstarter. The Kickstarter was an insane success, raising $364,922 after an initial goal of $46k. The art contest also had lots of beautiful entries.

November 1st marked the debut of Friday Night Funkin’, one of the most popular games in the history of Newgrounds. This has been especially exciting because web games haven’t been too popular over the past decade, ever since the Flash scene imploded. FNF is doing a lot to make web games cool again and will no doubt inspire a new generation of artists and devs. It’s also a dream collab, with @ninjamuffin99, @KawaiSprite, @PhantomArcade and @evilsk8r having all met on NG.

I can’t gush about games without also noting the Milk Bar Lads, who made Bonkers and Dead Estate, two of my favorite games of 2020. They are also major contributors to making web games cool again.

In December we updated the movie and game hubs, to utilize larger thumbnails, watch movies back-to-back and browse by specific before / after date ranges. We intend to update the video player with things like in-player voting and reviews, which would also be good additions to our in-page audio player.

@GeoKureli, @BrandyBuizel and @NickConter teamed up with an army of artists, musicians and developers to create the greatest ever Tankmas ADVENTure. Every day we were treated to new art, new music, new games, movie premiers and costumes to wear. So much love went into this event and it elevated the entire site.

@Xinxinx hosted a Secret Santa Art Trade that resulted in 377 pieces of art! I don't think there was ever a better December in the entire history of NG.

Throughout the year, Newgrounds received numerous quality-of-life improvements, fixing bugs and improving functionality. All these little changes add up over time! It has been a joy to watch Ruffle get better every day, too, supporting more classic Flash with each update.

Ok, that’s it for the retrospective! Does it need more emotion and reflection on the meaning of life? Probably. I wrote more thoughts in the first reply below.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to 2020 Retrospective 2020-12-31 10:47:53 (edited 2020-12-31 11:15:13)

It IS weird that today is technically the last day of Flash. From what I’m hearing, it might actually work in Chrome until January 12th; we’re all just sorta waiting to see what happens over the next few weeks. Are any of you going to attempt to run Flash in a browser well into 2021? If so, I’m curious to hear how that goes, if it keeps working or if it vanishes.

I feel like Newgrounds has done just about everything that can be done; introducing Swivel in 2011 to convert classic animations to video (you’re welcome YouTube), adding support for HTML5 games in 2012, building our own desktop player to launch Flash off NG and still earn medals and high scores, then finally sponsoring Ruffle to keep Flash running in the browser. 

All this while adapting our layout to mobile - I even beat Pico on my phone yesterday, after increasing the touch size on some buttons. There’s an iOS issue preventing small fonts from working on iPhones; Safari is the new IE, not keeping up with web standards and holding everything back. Some day in 2021, those fonts will magically appear.

We ran into many obstacles this decade but gradually we’re overcoming them. I feel like no one notices progress in the moment but now would be a good time to take a step back and look at NG! We’re rolling into 2021 with no ads on most pages and a lot of the best animation, art, music and games on the web, with classic content increasingly preserved for the future.

By the end of 2021, if all goes well we’ll have even less ads, more of the best stuff and more classic content preserved, with new features and events that will improve the site in ways I can’t quantify in the current moment. One of these days we might stop fighting to keep our head above water and actually swim a few laps. I hope you all stick around to swim with us! Or maybe that’s the wrong way to look at it, maybe we’re all swimming right now.

Community News

@meatcanyon is releasing Monster Lab Episode 1 this Sunday, January 3rd. What a great way to kick off the new year!

With the end of Flash looming, @The-EXP felt pressure to port his classic IndestructoTank to a mobile platform. So he’s released it for the Gameboy!

Both the Flash and Gameboy versions run in the browser, that’s pretty cool.

We have some new 2020 retrospective posts from littlbox, Troisnyx, midgetsausage, SevenSeize, ProsciuttoMan, AnimatedAF, RealGDJK and YariGrafight.

I never make enough use of our blog tag search; for example here are all posts tagged 2020.

@HavryloThePigeon is organizing an NG New Year Party! Go read how to participate.

Tankmas ADVENTure is still giving gifts! Today’s gift is new art by @Sevi.

The Tablet Giveaway and Featured Flash without Flash will continue tomorrow!

January Events

NG is hosting a Flash Forward Jam. We’re gonna surprise people with a bunch of new interactive Flash creations, running in browsers this January thanks to Ruffle, after Flash has been officially removed. Over $2,600 in prizes!

Pixel Day will be January 23rd and there will be prizes for the best animation, games, art and music. If you are down to sponsor Pixel Day, use the donation option on the Supporter page and PM me a heads up you donated towards game prizes.

Current Pixel Day sponsors are @JohnnyGuy $200, @AnonymousAlchemist $200, @SrPelo $100, @SantaSeven $100, @1DarkVoid $75, @53xy83457 $50 and @Wegra $10, with NG tossing in $400 to bring the current prize pool to $1,135; almost triple what it was last year, with room to grow.

Ok I’m done, have a Happy New Year! This evening I’ll be swinging by my local brewery to pick up a “champagne-like Belgian golden ale, highly carbonated, dry and full of fruit notes. Dry hopped with Citra and Hallertau Blanc, it’s the perfect toasting beer to ring in the new year.”

BBS Signature

Response to 2020 Retrospective 2020-12-31 10:53:00

At 12/31/20 10:47 AM, TomFulp wrote: I updated the NG history to include the remainder of 2020 and instead of re-inventing the wheel, I’ve copy and pasted it in this post as a retrospective. I’m not sure if that makes me efficient or lazy! I did end up adding additional thoughts in the first reply, after hitting the character limit for this post.

This would be a good time to note your favorite NG happenings of 2020, in case the history needs additional updates. My writing isn’t very elegant due to all the information I’m dumping out; hopefully I’ll improve it over time.

2020 Retrospective

We kicked off the new decade with a campaign to transition Newgrounds away from third party ads, with an emphasis on the Supporter upgrade.

In January we celebrated Pixel Day and announced a Phaser Game Jam, using the free Phaser game development framework.

Ruffle Flash emulation was introduced on select Flash content, with more and more classic content crossing over with each incremental update. If you’re a fan of Flash preservation, consider becoming a Ruffle sponsor!

In March, COVID-19 triggered a global pandemic and many communities went into lockdown. During this first month, we updated the private messaging system to be mobile friendly, kicked off a HaxeFlixel Game Jam, with the theme "Alone, Together" and hosted a Shelter in Place Art Jam.

In April we introduced Stripe payments for our Supporter upgrade and updated this Wiki layout to look better on mobile. We also hosted a Talking Pet Animation Jam!

May included Pico Day and the Musk Jam; an animation jam inspired by Elon Musk.

In June we hosted a Persona 4 art contest.

July introduced back-to-back video watching in our playlists, collections and search, with a test of our new video player. We also launched our Neo Geo Jam.

In August, @MindChamber hosted Robot Day, @Sevi hosted the Music Inspired Art contest, @NickConter hosted a NEAR DEADline art contest, the Clock Crew celebrated Clock Day, @Xinxinix hosted a pARTy contest and @TheNewgroundsPodcast hosted a Summer Block Party! It's cool to see the community step up to host so many events all at once.

@Krinkels hosted Madness Day in September and we announced our Among Us Jam, inspired by the huge success of Among Us. Among Us creators @PuffballsUnited, @ForteBass and @Aemu all have history on NG and were interviewed by TheNewgroundsPodcast!

September also saw the release of the infamous Final Fantasy VII Collab. Bring a raincoat!

We capped September with the formal launch of our new video player, with a wider layout, 4K support and frame by frame scrubbing.

In October, Ruffle achieved a milestone where Flash games made with AS2 now have working medals and high scores. We celebrated our annual Halloween Spooktacular and made ongoing improvements to the new video player.

@JohnMontoya hosted a SNES Music Contest with celebrity judges and @Troisnyx hosted a Worst Song Competition after the event went on a five year hiatus.

@Spadezer wrapped up the final round of the annual Audio Deathmatch.

In November we kicked off another drawing tablet giveaway. This time we solicited support from the community and raised almost $4,000!. As of the end of the year, 51 tablets have been shipped out and 37 have been announced via daily news posts. Each daily post includes a featured Flash game that is now running without Flash thanks to Ruffle. The daily posts will continue in 2021!

@Cleod-9 hosted a Fraymakers Art Contest, to coincide with the Fraymakers Kickstarter. The Kickstarter was an insane success, raising $364,922 after an initial goal of $46k. The art contest also had lots of beautiful entries.

November 1st marked the debut of Friday Night Funkin’, one of the most popular games in the history of Newgrounds. This has been especially exciting because web games haven’t been too popular over the past decade, ever since the Flash scene imploded. FNF is doing a lot to make web games cool again and will no doubt inspire a new generation of artists and devs. It’s also a dream collab, with @ninjamuffin99, @KawaiSprite, @PhantomArcade and @evilsk8r having all met on NG.

I can’t gush about games without also noting the Milk Bar Lads, who made Bonkers and Dead Estate, two of my favorite games of 2020. They are also major contributors to making web games cool again.

In December we updated the movie and game hubs, to utilize larger thumbnails, watch movies back-to-back and browse by specific before / after date ranges. We intend to update the video player with things like in-player voting and reviews, which would also be good additions to our in-page audio player.

@GeoKureli, @BrandyBuizel and @NickConter teamed up with an army of artists, musicians and developers to create the greatest ever Tankmas ADVENTure. Every day we were treated to new art, new music, new games, movie premiers and costumes to wear. So much love went into this event and it elevated the entire site.

@Xinxinx hosted a Secret Santa Art Trade that resulted in 377 pieces of art! I don't think there was ever a better December in the entire history of NG.

Throughout the year, Newgrounds received numerous quality-of-life improvements, fixing bugs and improving functionality. All these little changes add up over time! It has been a joy to watch Ruffle get better every day, too, supporting more classic Flash with each update.

Ok, that’s it for the retrospective! Does it need more emotion and reflection on the meaning of life? Probably. I wrote more thoughts in the first reply below.

A lot has happened, but on 2021, I hope to host my own collab/contest. Dunno what what they'd be about yet, but I want it to be something that anyone can enjoy.

Response to 2020 Retrospective 2020-12-31 10:59:14

2020 was a unanimously crappy year as far as COVID goes but Newgrounds made it a very special year for me and I bet a lot of us. 2021’s looking bright.

I also realized my end of year post was just 2021 plans and not a 2020 retrospective. Ah well. X_X

BBS Signature

Response to 2020 Retrospective 2020-12-31 11:01:48

At 12/31/20 10:53 AM, EpithetSoup wrote: A lot has happened, but on 2021, I hope to host my own collab/contest. Dunno what what they'd be about yet, but I want it to be something that anyone can enjoy.

yeah I wanna do more NG collabinating crap in 2021 too. Since I’m more involved with the site now y’gotta, right? :D

BBS Signature

Response to 2020 Retrospective 2020-12-31 11:06:53

At 12/31/20 11:01 AM, Dungeonation wrote:
At 12/31/20 10:53 AM, EpithetSoup wrote: A lot has happened, but on 2021, I hope to host my own collab/contest. Dunno what what they'd be about yet, but I want it to be something that anyone can enjoy.
yeah I wanna do more NG collabinating crap in 2021 too. Since I’m more involved with the site now y’gotta, right? :D

Damn right!

Response to 2020 Retrospective 2020-12-31 11:08:32

i imagine it will just continue living, you'll just get warnings to not continue or whatever. I still use an old version of windows xp on my old compu, it says im unprotected but it still works perfectly fine.

also first post of 2021.

None

BBS Signature

Response to 2020 Retrospective 2020-12-31 11:16:32

Still enyoing this site every day. And Newgrounds kept getting better and better. So it was a good year. Thanks for everyone contributing!

BBS Signature

Response to 2020 Retrospective 2020-12-31 11:21:35

At 12/31/20 11:01 AM, Dungeonation wrote:

Hell yeah dude

https://38cautionzone.com

Ko-fi (Commission/Donation)

BBS Signature

Response to 2020 Retrospective 2020-12-31 11:36:35

Goodbye Flash... we'll see you on the other side

Response to 2020 Retrospective 2020-12-31 11:45:00

2020 has been crazy. There have been a lot of ups and downs.

There has been so much happening that I forgot that certain things even happened this year. I forgot the Phaser Game Jam happened this year. Sometimes, I actually think you could have a short history class just on the year 2020.

Let's all have a happy 2021!

BBS Signature

Response to 2020 Retrospective 2020-12-31 11:53:11

Well looking back, for me personally 2020 was an alright year. But for Newgrounds, it was fantastic, despite on what was happening to the world due to the flu.

Also about the player (not the ruffle), I will volunteer to see on what happens with the browsers if I play any games after and during January 1st, I might give it a try and see on what happens.

SM/AMA/FAQs (Now both are ready, well sort of) My shortcuts

BBS Signature

Response to 2020 Retrospective 2020-12-31 12:15:56

Happy New Year to everyone! I really hope that I can contribute some good stuff to the site in 2021. Anyway, I visited Newgrounds every day in 2020 and had a great time here. I remember when the art section was introduced I was a bit sceptical but this year it was the place that I looked at the most! So much awesome stuff there. Also, Newgrounds is still my favorite site on the net and I'm excited to see how it will evolve in the upcoming years! And now I'll drink a beer. Cheers!

Response to 2020 Retrospective 2020-12-31 12:33:25

I don't have Flash Player set to automatic updates, so they'll take it away from me kicking and screaming. Hoping for ubiquity of Ruffle or a Firefox add-on to re-allow SWF support sooner rather than later.

BBS Signature

Response to 2020 Retrospective 2020-12-31 12:58:30

My Favorite parts of 2020 NG were : Makin my account, Pico Day, and us all surviving. Several things to keep Flash semi-alive even after the End Of Life, (Ruffle, Flashpoint, etc.) Were also great!

"bunzo"

BBS Signature

Response to 2020 Retrospective 2020-12-31 12:58:58

At 12/31/20 12:58 PM, SanswichNG wrote: My Favorite parts of 2020 NG were : Makin my account, Pico Day, and us all surviving. Several things to keep Flash semi-alive even after the End Of Life, (Ruffle, Flashpoint, etc.) Were also great!

Happy New Years!

"bunzo"

BBS Signature

Response to 2020 Retrospective 2020-12-31 13:06:05

I love Newgrounds <3

Have a nice day!

Response to 2020 Retrospective 2020-12-31 13:16:15

I don't think it needs to be in the history page, but since the interview with the Among Us creators was included, I figure I'll add this. For anyone interested in Fraymakers, NGP also interviewed two of the Devs for it as well.

Long live Newgrounds.

Response to 2020 Retrospective 2020-12-31 13:33:52

Everything about in NG in 2020 has been amazing, if not for the pandemic or simply because of it we've had monumental growth as a platform and as a community. I hope everyone stays safe in 2021 and I hope NG continues getting stronger even as flash "dies"

Response to 2020 Retrospective 2020-12-31 13:45:09

At 12/31/20 12:15 PM, Wiesi wrote: Happy New Year to everyone! I really hope that I can contribute some good stuff to the site in 2021. Anyway, I visited Newgrounds every day in 2020 and had a great time here. I remember when the art section was introduced I was a bit sceptical but this year it was the place that I looked at the most! So much awesome stuff there. Also, Newgrounds is still my favorite site on the net and I'm excited to see how it will evolve in the upcoming years! And now I'll drink a beer. Cheers!

dude, give me a beer, youre not getting away that easily.

also first post again.

None

BBS Signature

Response to 2020 Retrospective 2020-12-31 14:05:55

Somehow, despite Flash being closer to dead than it has ever been, it feels more alive than it's ever been in the last decade. The "spirit" of Flash is coming back in a big way. And I can't wait to see what comes in 2021. It's really only going up from here, and I mean that not in a "oh we're in the bottom now" sense but a "the seeds have been planted, and boy are we starting to see them sprout."

Here's to the new year!

Click the Squid -> 🦑

Response to 2020 Retrospective 2020-12-31 14:16:00

It's rad reading all the stuff that got done here and I kinda feel bad about my lack of involvement. Hopefully I'll do more next year. Also, I don't see a mention of the voice acting collab here, seems like a bit of an oversight.

Response to 2020 Retrospective 2020-12-31 14:51:05

I feel like newgrounds helped me get through a truly crappy year.

The people, the content---- it kept my mind in a positive, fun place, and out of a dark and scary place.

I mean it when I say, had I not been part of this community this year, I might not have made it through this year.

| It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose|||Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel.||||

BBS Signature

Response to 2020 Retrospective 2020-12-31 14:54:29 (edited 2020-12-31 14:54:58)

Even though 2020 was a shitty year, there’s no doubt that this was an AMAZING year on Newgrounds. So much creativity came from it and so many creators blossomed. Positivity did prevail over negativity in this bastard year. Thank you for giving us this platform to grow and thrive, Tom. Long live Newgrounds and cheers to 2021!!!

You need a voice? I got plenty for ya! :D

BBS Signature

Response to 2020 Retrospective 2020-12-31 15:05:39

At 12/31/20 10:47 AM, TomFulp wrote: It IS weird that today is technically the last day of Flash. From what I’m hearing, it might actually work in Chrome until January 12th; we’re all just sorta waiting to see what happens over the next few weeks. Are any of you going to attempt to run Flash in a browser well into 2021? If so, I’m curious to hear how that goes, if it keeps working or if it vanishes.

Honestly, I'm still gonna use .swf to upload my animations here. It's just that I prefer it more.

Have a super mario day :)

BBS Signature

Response to 2020 Retrospective 2020-12-31 15:20:56

I think you're forgetting an essential submission Tom.

sicko mode

BBS Signature

Response to 2020 Retrospective 2020-12-31 15:28:04

Rest in peace flash

1996-2020

don’t be sad it’s ending be happy it started

Pixelday2021

Response to 2020 Retrospective 2020-12-31 15:31:53 (edited 2020-12-31 15:32:10)

Hmm, I think I should be Ruffle! Sponsor. I'm into that Flash preservation idea. Thanks for the heads up.

Response to 2020 Retrospective 2020-12-31 15:35:14

At 12/31/20 03:20 PM, ninjamuffin99 wrote: I think you're forgetting an essential submission Tom.

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/746858

The precursor to Pifa!

BBS Signature

Response to 2020 Retrospective 2020-12-31 15:57:19

I wrote my first year-end recap, are you happy ow @TomFulp?

https://psychogoldfish.newgrounds.com/news/post/1134796