00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

markololohands just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Fraymakers Kickstarter Art Contest

25,654 Views | 80 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Introducing the Fraymakers Kickstarter Art Contest on Newgrounds!

iu_196424_1238791.jpg

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mcleodgaming/fraymakers-the-infinitely-replayable-indie-platform-fighter

Wait, what's Fraymakers?

Fraymakers is the fully modular, full-featured indie platform fighter announced today from McLeodGaming, the studio behind the Super Smash Flash fangames. Fraymakers features a playable cast from indie gaming classics, in addition to a massive selection of guest assists from a broad selection of other sources (The NG Tankman is one of them!). The game is also being released alongside a companion software called FrayTools, a custom Flash-like application used by the dev team to create the game's content. With FrayTools you'll be able to expand the game with your own characters, assists, stages, modes and more with ease!

iu_196426_1238791.jpg

For more info please check out our Kickstarter campaign.

You can also wishlist Fraymakers on Steam.

The Challenge:

• Choose one of two categories to enter: Pixel Art or Non-Pixel
  • Create artwork featuring one or more of the confirmed characters from the cast of Fraymakers (pictured below)
  • Submit your work to the Art Portal with the tag FraymakersKS by Friday, December 11th, 2020

iu_196425_1238791.jpg

Playable cast pictured left to right: Welltaro (Downwell), Orcane, (Rivals of Aether), Ultra Fishbunjin 3000 (Slap City), The Watcher (Slay the Spire), Octodad (Octodad: Dadliest Catch), CommanderVideo (BIT.TRIP)

iu_196427_1238791.png

Assist cast pictured left to right: Aine (Renaine), Captain Viridian (VVVVVV), Josef (Machinarium), Peppino (Pizza Tower), Lea (Cross Code), The Bard (Wandersong), Nikandreos (Apotheon), Ape (Ape Out), Shopkeeper (Downwell), Rockman (FTL: Faster Than Light), Tankman (Newgrounds), Lady Luck (Dicey Dungeons), The Silent (Slay the Spire), Fancy Pants Man (Fancy Pants Adventures), The Kid (I Wanna Be They Guy), Pizza (Chicory), Birthday (King of the Hat), Diogenes (Getting Over It with Bennett Foddy)

Other Rules:

• Only one entry per person
  • No NSFW please!
  • No additional entries will be accepted after the deadline
  • Entries in the Pixel Art category must be digital and not feature mixed mediums*

* Note that Non-Pixel submissions can be just about any medium - digital painting, fine art, pencil drawing, you name it - as long as it features at least one of the characters from the playable or assist roster of Fraymakers it's fair game! Just note that to qualify for the Pixel Art category, the artwork must be digital and fully pixelated. That means no mixing mediums together (e.g. pixel art character on top of a painted background). 

What are the prizes?

The Fraymakers team will act as judges of each submission, and the winners will be awarded as follows: (Prizes sponsored by McLeodGaming)

• Best Pixel Art - $100 and 1 digital copy of Fraymakers
  • Best Non-Pixel - $100 and 1 digital copy of Fraymakers
  • Top 3 Pixel Art Runner-ups - 1 digital copy of Fraymakers each
  • Top 3  Non-Pixel Art Runner-ups - 1 digital copy of Fraymakers each

When will winners be announced?

The winners will be announced on Monday, December 14th, 2020. At that time we will showcase the winning entries on the BBS and reach out to winners for contact information to deliver any monetary prizes right away. Steam keys for Fraymakers will be distributed upon Early Access launch of the game.

Any questions?

Let me know! I'll be keeping an eye on this thread throughout the contest to respond to any questions or concerns.

Response to Fraymakers Kickstarter Art Contest 2020-11-18 19:28:10

Bonus: If you include a certain orange knight in your entry you'll immediately become my favorite person.

Click the Squid -> 🦑

Response to Fraymakers Kickstarter Art Contest 2020-11-18 19:29:52

Cool!

Nub

BBS Signature

Response to Fraymakers Kickstarter Art Contest 2020-11-18 19:34:31

Soooo..

Rivals of aether except it's a traditional fighting game..?

CAW!

BBS Signature

At 11/18/20 06:35 PM, Cleod-9 wrote: Introducing the Fraymakers Kickstarter Art Contest on Newgrounds!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mcleodgaming/fraymakers-the-infinitely-replayable-indie-platform-fighter

The closest thing to Newgrounds Rumble 2

Response to Fraymakers Kickstarter Art Contest 2020-11-18 20:08:37

neat

BBS Signature

Response to Fraymakers Kickstarter Art Contest 2020-11-18 20:16:31

This is a really cool idea, best of luck to everyone who's gonna participate!

Response to Fraymakers Kickstarter Art Contest 2020-11-18 20:18:44

So is this like MUGEN but actually balanced? Also, the potential for this to become a meme fighting game is enormous.

Count me in!

Response to Fraymakers Kickstarter Art Contest 2020-11-18 20:47:09

At 11/18/20 08:18 PM, Mitchelf wrote: So is this like MUGEN but actually balanced? Also, the potential for this to become a meme fighting game is enormous.
Count me in!

While I can't speak for the balance aspect of MUGEN, it's certainly a close comparison!

Response to Fraymakers Kickstarter Art Contest 2020-11-18 21:06:35

Really looking forward to this game! If there's ever a music contest, I'll put my all behind it. Can't wait to see what people submit for this!

Response to Fraymakers Kickstarter Art Contest 2020-11-18 21:10:39

You dare challenge me mortal?

quitting.

BBS Signature

Response to Fraymakers Kickstarter Art Contest 2020-11-18 21:22:16

At 11/18/20 07:28 PM, squidly wrote: Bonus: If you include a certain orange knight in your entry you'll immediately become my favorite person.

Castle Crasher guy is in this?!!?

Response to Fraymakers Kickstarter Art Contest 2020-11-18 22:14:40

At 11/18/20 09:22 PM, BrandyBuizel wrote:
At 11/18/20 07:28 PM, squidly wrote: Bonus: If you include a certain orange knight in your entry you'll immediately become my favorite person.
Castle Crasher guy is in this?!!?

Brandon.

Click the Squid -> 🦑

Response to Fraymakers Kickstarter Art Contest 2020-11-18 23:48:34

This is some cool shit my friend

(>'-')>

Response to Fraymakers Kickstarter Art Contest 2020-11-19 00:00:44

The Mcleod team making gold again

Response to Fraymakers Kickstarter Art Contest 2020-11-19 00:59:05

Congrats on reaching that first stretch goal! Looks like you're well on your way to the second one too.

Response to Fraymakers Kickstarter Art Contest 2020-11-19 04:07:33

Wow! Looks awesome! And what do I spot on the Steam page? Proper Linux support? Radical. 🐧

Response to Fraymakers Kickstarter Art Contest 2020-11-19 04:16:39

does mixed media include animation? im going to start my entry assuming it does, but i thought i might as well ask.

Response to Fraymakers Kickstarter Art Contest 2020-11-19 04:32:39

Holy FUCK YES

Flash Mugen with the best character cast of any fighting game??????

I'm H Y P E A S F U C K

Response to Fraymakers Kickstarter Art Contest 2020-11-19 07:11:53

At 11/19/20 04:07 AM, DaemonPlus wrote: Wow! Looks awesome! And what do I spot on the Steam page? Proper Linux support? Radical. 🐧

If my eyes don't deceive me it uses Godot so yay, Linux!

"Hold me Gently, Kiss me Plenty!"

BBS Signature

Honestly am loving it and thinking of joining the competition. However, why no Behemoth rep?

Response to Fraymakers Kickstarter Art Contest 2020-11-19 08:10:27

I'm a simple person. I see a picture of Ultra Fish Bunjin 3000 and I want to join the fun

Cool nice to see another fighting game with indie characters

Response to Fraymakers Kickstarter Art Contest 2020-11-19 13:33:48

By the way folks, it's been asked if placing a pixel portrait on a stylized backdrop for clarity would still qualify for the Pixel Art category. The answer is YES, as long as the background doesn't contribute significantly to the foreground it will still qualify as Pixel Art (we would judge based on the foreground in this case). The rule against mixed mediums is primarily to avoid the simple act of adding pixel art to your entry from automatically qualifying it as pixel art to be fair to those explicitly entering that category.

Response to Fraymakers Kickstarter Art Contest 2020-11-19 13:40:58

At 11/19/20 04:16 AM, gatekid3 wrote: does mixed media include animation? im going to start my entry assuming it does, but i thought i might as well ask.

As long as it can be submitted to the art portal it will be accepted!

Response to Fraymakers Kickstarter Art Contest 2020-11-19 14:21:07

Not sure if this has been addressed yet, but what about collaborations between artists? Would that count as an entry?

Response to Fraymakers Kickstarter Art Contest 2020-11-19 15:11:55

iu_196736_4221225.jpg

Kind of like a Newgrounds version of MUGEN. Lol, that engine was so much fun. Please make it so you can have custom opening/ending cut-scenes.

:( no I wish I kept all my old fighter files :(

MUGEN developer website

Response to Fraymakers Kickstarter Art Contest 2020-11-19 16:29:26

At 11/18/20 07:39 PM, RareKirby wrote:
At 11/18/20 06:35 PM, Cleod-9 wrote: Introducing the Fraymakers Kickstarter Art Contest on Newgrounds!

The closest thing to Newgrounds Rumble 2

Fuck yes. About time someone brought that up.

Hope it doesn't become like one of those failed indie smash-likes.

Shut up and take my

Response to Fraymakers Kickstarter Art Contest 2020-11-19 22:36:24

At 11/19/20 02:21 PM, KhageTPO wrote: Not sure if this has been addressed yet, but what about collaborations between artists? Would that count as an entry?

If you do a collaboration that would count as one entry between the two of you, and you wouldn't be able to submit another entry solo. So if you won you would have to split the reward.