00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Bruemeister just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

New Video Player!

17,585 Views | 102 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Our new video player is live!

The video player now fills the browser window and will shrink to remain at the top of the screen when you scroll down.

If you don’t want the video player to follow you when you scroll, click the gear button and disable the “Fix to Top” option. You can also toggle Titles in this menu, which is useful when watching playlists.

If you prefer the traditional video size, click the size button to the right of the gear icon and choose the middle option. Medium size with Fix to Top disabled will give you the traditional viewing experience.

The new video video player includes arrow buttons for frame by frame scrubbing, to examine individual frames of animation. This system currently assumes 24fps; we need to log framerates before we can make it dynamic for each video.

You can also now watch videos in 4K when available! Here are some:

To accommodate dynamic width, we’ve removed site skins from video pages. We’ll likely continue this trend with content pages moving forward, so content has more room to breath and doesn’t have to compete with the wall art.

Some more cool videos to watch big:

How do you like it?

iu_173849_1.jpg

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to New Video Player! 2020-09-29 12:33:32 (edited 2020-09-29 12:36:18)

At 9/29/20 12:20 PM, TomFulp wrote: Our new video player is live!
How do you like it?

i think its an invasion of my privacy for people to be able to go through each one of my frames! Also first post.

I'm looking forward to this video player becoming more robust with age, ive been thinking of annotations and stuff for my older stuff. People often ask me what i was thinking or what commentary i have on some of my older stuff, it would be neat to down the road capture it and get some time capsule stuff to it.

Good jorb, all involved.

None

BBS Signature

Response to New Video Player! 2020-09-29 12:33:56 (edited 2020-09-29 12:37:59)

Holy shit, cool. It's nice that when you pause a video, there's nothing that obscures the screen anymore.

BBS Signature

Response to New Video Player! 2020-09-29 12:37:39

At 9/29/20 12:33 PM, CzySzy wrote: Holy shit, cool. BTW, I think it would be nice to have an option not to have the player stay at the top of the screen the whole time.

Click the gear button and disable "Fix to Top." You can also adjust the size by clicking the button to the right of that.

iu_173819_1.png

BBS Signature

Response to New Video Player! 2020-09-29 12:37:41

A very welcome change!

I especially like that you can now pause without the screen getting darkened, that's more than handy.

Cartoonist lad, occasional BBS poster and all-round human hailing from the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

NOTICE: Anyone caught posting A.I. 'art' on Newgrounds.com will have their balls ripped off and flushed down the toilet.

BBS Signature

Response to New Video Player! 2020-09-29 12:38:48

At 9/29/20 12:37 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 9/29/20 12:33 PM, CzySzy wrote: Holy shit, cool. BTW, I think it would be nice to have an option not to have the player stay at the top of the screen the whole time.
Click the gear button and disable "Fix to Top." You can also adjust the size by clicking the button to the right of that.

Yeah, I've just noticed that there is this menu. xD I edited the original post.

BBS Signature

Response to New Video Player! 2020-09-29 12:40:22

Not too shabby! Could use a bit more "Newgrounds flavor" Kinda like how it looked with the first video player

Sig by @Brokendeck

BBS Signature

Response to New Video Player! 2020-09-29 12:44:01

Finally I can invade Luis' privacy and look at his frames

CRACKEGGS 2 COMING 2026

Response to New Video Player! 2020-09-29 12:44:34

Oh, and I thought that visualizations would return to the audio player again, as in Winamp...

Response to New Video Player! 2020-09-29 12:47:48

At 9/29/20 12:44 PM, C211 wrote: Oh, and I thought that visualizations would return to the audio player again, as in Winamp...

We'd like to get audio visualizers going again, just been tough to get to there on the list.

BBS Signature

Response to New Video Player! 2020-09-29 12:47:54 (edited 2020-09-29 12:48:04)

Just noticed it when clicking on Extinction Party for the 15th time. Now that the old player is dead, I can shit on it super hard. Every time I went to adjust the volume it would pause the video and mute it regardless where I clicked!

I'm into this video player 200%.

Response to New Video Player! 2020-09-29 12:49:44

At 9/29/20 12:47 PM, Copperama wrote: Just noticed it when clicking on Extinction Party for the 15th time. Now that the old player is dead, I can shit on it super hard. Every time I went to adjust the volume it would pause the video and mute it regardless where I clicked!
I'm into this video player 200%.

Nice to know the little improvements are appreciated!

BBS Signature

Response to New Video Player! 2020-09-29 12:54:36

It's nice to come to a video site with a new set up and it's just; clean, easy to follow, and functioning (at least on desktop). Playlist set up is nice.

Response to New Video Player! 2020-09-29 12:56:35

At 9/29/20 12:54 PM, Warlord-of-Noodles wrote: It's nice to come to a video site with a new set up and it's just; clean, easy to follow, and functioning (at least on desktop). Playlist set up is nice.

Happy to see the No Evil playlist! I've almost created a series page for that numerous times in the past but have always sorta been holding out for the day the playlist system becomes robust enough to replace the old series and collections system. There's a lot of cool stuff we want to do in that space.

BBS Signature

Response to New Video Player! 2020-09-29 13:08:26

Never seen a video player put frame scrubbing so front and center like that, UI wise. Really does say a lot about how Newgrounds isn't just for enjoying animation, but also appreciating and learning from it c:

Click the Squid -> 🦑

Response to New Video Player! 2020-09-29 13:12:23

At 9/29/20 01:08 PM, squidly wrote: Never seen a video player put frame scrubbing so front and center like that, UI wise. Really does say a lot about how Newgrounds isn't just for enjoying animation, but also appreciating and learning from it c:

I should note you can also use the < and > keys!

BBS Signature

Response to New Video Player! 2020-09-29 13:23:15

Anyway to revert to the old player? Frankly I think it looks awful

Response to New Video Player! 2020-09-29 13:29:33

At 9/29/20 01:23 PM, jonthomson wrote: Anyway to revert to the old player? Frankly I think it looks awful

Is your biggest issue with the UI elements, or the missing site skin, or is it related to the size and how it stays at the top of the screen (which can be disabled)?

BBS Signature

Response to New Video Player! 2020-09-29 13:48:32

I just noticed I´ve been browing NG at 125% zoom on chrome for like 3 years because I thought the feed took way to little space, so at first the fill screen button didn´t do anything, then I reset the zoom settings to 100%. I may now start browsing NG without the magnification.

NEW PLAYER`S GREAT LOVING THE FRAME SCRUBBING AND CLEAN PAUSE YES

Any chance we get keyboard shortcuts?

Response to New Video Player! 2020-09-29 14:05:22

At 9/29/20 01:48 PM, PegasuTV wrote: I just noticed I´ve been browing NG at 125% zoom on chrome for like 3 years because I thought the feed took way to little space, so at first the fill screen button didn´t do anything, then I reset the zoom settings to 100%. I may now start browsing NG without the magnification.

You can use < and > to frame scrub. What other shortcuts would you like? Spacebar to toggle pause?

BBS Signature

Response to New Video Player! 2020-09-29 14:06:06

At 9/29/20 12:47 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 9/29/20 12:44 PM, C211 wrote: Oh, and I thought that visualizations would return to the audio player again, as in Winamp...
We'd like to get audio visualizers going again, just been tough to get to there on the list.

I'm sorry it won't be soon, but it was such a top until 2017!

Response to New Video Player! 2020-09-29 14:07:45

Very cool, I like being able to go read comments with the video still playing. Frame scrubbing is also SUPER cool and unique to NG (for good reason with the emphasis on animation).

Response to New Video Player! 2020-09-29 14:34:30

Ah shit that's fucking awesome! Now bring back the backgrounds when you play music, Tom.

I really don't know what to put on here.

Response to New Video Player! 2020-09-29 14:48:03

nice improve video player. I like to add video player subtitle for disability people.

Response to New Video Player! 2020-09-29 14:48:59

At 9/29/20 02:05 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 9/29/20 01:48 PM, PegasuTV wrote: I just noticed I´ve been browing NG at 125% zoom on chrome for like 3 years because I thought the feed took way to little space, so at first the fill screen button didn´t do anything, then I reset the zoom settings to 100%. I may now start browsing NG without the magnification.
You can use < and > to frame scrub. What other shortcuts would you like? Spacebar to toggle pause?

Oh the < and > is great, I thought I tried it and it didn´t work, weird, maybe it wasn´t "focused"? I think that´s the main one! spacebar could be nice but not as essential I´d say. Newgrounds has been delivering crazy good stuff lately!

Response to New Video Player! 2020-09-29 14:51:08

Hell yea, loving mobile, will check on desktop later!

Response to New Video Player! 2020-09-29 15:13:48

At 9/29/20 02:48 PM, PegasuTV wrote:
At 9/29/20 02:05 PM, TomFulp wrote:
Oh the < and > is great, I thought I tried it and it didn´t work, weird, maybe it wasn´t "focused"? I think that´s the main one! spacebar could be nice but not as essential I´d say. Newgrounds has been delivering crazy good stuff lately!

Right now clicking play isn't focusing it, you gotta click the player after it starts - that will be getting addressed.

BBS Signature

Response to New Video Player! 2020-09-29 15:17:50

At 9/29/20 02:48 PM, Thedanyy59 wrote: nice improve video player. I like to add video player subtitle for disability people.

This is on our wishlist too, we've been looking into it.

BBS Signature

Response to New Video Player! 2020-09-29 15:19:56

Frame by frame is a godsend, finally I can analyze every cartoon like a loser. Also another thing, being able to pause without the whole video goin grey and having the pause button in the middle is something I've been dying for since forever, that was always the most annoying thing for me cuz it made it way it harder to pause cartoons for reference

Im pumped!

Come on down to Fulpstation, baby

BBS Signature

Response to New Video Player! 2020-09-29 15:51:05

It doesn't work at all in both outdated Chrome and outdated Firefox, whereas the old player did. Normally websites have some tolerance for users without the latest browser version, as dropping support altogether is overkill. Nobody's saying IE6, but Firefox 52 and Chrome 61 aren't that extreme to support and almost everything still works well in them. They were some of the last browser versions to support Flash properly for one reason or another.