00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Jmurr12 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Drawing Tablet 11 and FLASH JAM!

26,167 Views | 122 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Flash Forward Jam

This week @Dungeonation made a big donation, asking us to host a Flash Jam. We’re still putting together some promo materials but the Flash Forward Jam is a go!

Update: This Jam has been extended through the end of February!

Jam Requirements:

• Make something interactive with Flash, either a game or interactive movie, which could include an animation collab with a cool menu interface, or something with decisions / alternate endings.

• Make it with ActionScript 2 and confirm it works via Ruffle before publishing. You will see a “Test with Ruffle” link on your preview page. Ruffle is what we use to run Flash on NG without the Flash plugin, you can read more about it below!

• Upload any time in January or February and tag it “Flash-Forward-Jam” to participate!

Flash is being officially removed from browsers at the end of this month, so we’re gonna surprise everyone with a bunch of new Flash stuff in the new year, running in browsers and even on mobile. Note, if you want your work to run well on mobile, be sure your buttons have a large click space to capture finger taps.

Game Prizes:

1st - $720 + Interview with @TheInterviewer

2nd - $600

3rd - $500

4th - $350

5th- $150

6th - $100

Movie with Interactive Element Prizes:

1st - $200+ Interview with @TheInterviewer

2nd - $150

3rd - $100

Best Mobile-Friendly Entry: $100 Bonus, regardless of placement.

If anyone wants to chip in to boost prizes, use the donation option on the Supporter page and PM me a heads up you donated towards the Flash Jam! Current sponsors are @BerzerkStudio $1,500, @Dungeonation $570, @SrPelo $100, @Squidly $100, @53xy83457 $100, @wetzelpretzel $100, @Piggybank12 $75, @Urichov $60, @Xinxinix $50, @AKA-38CAUTION $10, @LittleLuckyLink $5, anonymous $200 and myself with $100!

Flash Forward Jam promo art by @zattdott!

iu_228905_1.jpg

Best of December Game Prizes

On the topic of prizes, the Game of the Month prize pool for December will be bigger than usual thanks to a holiday donation from @AnonymousAlchemist! Winners will be announced in our Best of December post and include games made in any web-friendly format. The prizes:

1st - $250

2nd - $100

3rd - $100

4th - $100

If you’ve been sitting on a web game or know someone who has, get it up on NG this month!

Today’s Drawing Tablet Recipient

Today’s tablet recipient is @MaximumNightmare!

MaximumNightmare has been struggling with an old tablet that barely works anymore. They are hoping to create more art and animation with a tablet that loves them!

Today’s Featured Flash (without Flash)

Chainsaw the Children celebrated it’s 18th birthday yesterday! This game was the introduction of Dad from Dad ‘n Me, which is almost ready to make its Ruffle debut. This was also a pre-Behemoth team-up between myself and @DanPaladin!

If you’re a game programmer who needs an artist or an artist who wants to make a game, don’t hesitate to reach out to someone on NG! Tons of great partnerships have formed here, even to this very day with games like Friday Night Funkin’.

About the Drawing Tablet Giveaway

Newgrounds is hosting a 2020 Drawing Tablet Giveaway, inviting artists to apply for the chance to receive a drawing tablet. Applications are still open, however you must be US-based (tablets are sent directly from Amazon) and your chances will greatly improve if you have examples of your art or animation here on Newgrounds.

We’ve received generous donations from @Egoraptor, @AnonymousAlchemist, @SinclairStrange, @RonDMC, @SaucySaucepan, @Afro-Ninja, @Jonas, @NCH, @Sabtastic, @Squidly, @MSGhero, @Rarykos, @Straqt, @kleinerjunge, @DevAesthetic, @NickSenny, @MrChambers, @53xy83457, @AKA-38CAUTION and @Wegra. As a result, this will be our biggest tablet giveaway ever!

About Flash Preservation

Most of the content shared on NG nowadays isn’t Flash; you can share your HTML5 games and any sort of original animation you’ve made in video format, as well as art, music, voice reels and podcasts. As the original Flash Portal we also host a lot of classic and occasional new Flash content.

Newgrounds sponsors the development of Ruffle.rs, to run Flash content in the browser without Flash. Flash will be removed from browsers at the end of the year but thanks to Ruffle, we can enjoy Flash forever! Ruffle doesn’t support everything yet, which is why we have Newgrounds Player as a desktop fallback until it does.

Ruffle was created by @Mike as an open-source alternative to the Flash plug-in, free of all the legacy problems associated with Flash. Lots of smart people have gotten involved with the project and you can sponsor it with money or help as a Rust developer.

For the remainder of the year, I’ll be making regular posts highlighting both drawing tablet winners and classic Flash content that is now supported by Ruffle.

Community News

@Cleod-9 is hosting a Fraymakers Art Contest!

@Xinxinix is hosting a Secret Santa Art Trade!

@Everratic is hosting a Video Game Music Challenge!

Be sure to play Tankmas ADVENTure every day this month to collect all your gifts!

@Andyl4nd just released a great new loop!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Drawing Tablet 11 and FLASH JAM! 2020-12-04 11:34:49

@Andyl4nd is a gift

His work is inspiring me to revive a certain project that might make its debut in the Flash Forward Jam, if I can find the time for it 👀

Click the Squid -> 🦑

Response to Drawing Tablet 11 and FLASH JAM! 2020-12-04 13:04:06

Heck yeah, I love the idea of returning back to Flash.

Response to Drawing Tablet 11 and FLASH JAM! 2020-12-04 13:12:05

VERY excited to see what comes out of this :D

BBS Signature

Response to Drawing Tablet 11 and FLASH JAM! 2020-12-04 13:15:58

I have some interesting ideas for the main entry. BTW check out this quick test dress up I've just made.

BBS Signature

Response to Drawing Tablet 11 and FLASH JAM! 2020-12-04 13:59:33

Could an entry be made for both Pixel Day and the Flash Forward Jam? Or do they have to be separate?

It's time to get pissed off.

Response to Drawing Tablet 11 and FLASH JAM! 2020-12-04 14:11:19

Thank you Tom!! Happy to see NG thriving!

Response to Drawing Tablet 11 and FLASH JAM! 2020-12-04 14:18:35

At 12/4/20 01:59 PM, Master-X wrote: Could an entry be made for both Pixel Day and the Flash Forward Jam? Or do they have to be separate?

I’m gonna say YES, you can participate in both with one entry on the 23rd!

BBS Signature

Response to Drawing Tablet 11 and FLASH JAM! 2020-12-04 14:20:17

At 12/4/20 01:15 PM, CzySzy wrote: I have some interesting ideas for the main entry. BTW check out this quick test dress up I've just made.
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/773454

One suggestion - try larger click areas on the buttons, so they are easier to tap on mobile! This goes for all Flash games with mobile in mind.

BBS Signature

Response to Drawing Tablet 11 and FLASH JAM! 2020-12-04 14:42:05

I just said this on the other Flash Jam post, but if anyone needs weird electronic music I'm down to help.

BBS Signature

Response to Drawing Tablet 11 and FLASH JAM! 2020-12-04 14:50:06

Can I upload my game in December?

signature by jackho

BBS Signature

Response to Drawing Tablet 11 and FLASH JAM! 2020-12-04 15:24:35

January eh?

Response to Drawing Tablet 11 and FLASH JAM! 2020-12-04 15:40:30

Genuinely curious to see how people are going to get past Ruffle's limitations

(They're there.)

In the very least this will be a great showcase of mobile games done with flash for your phone.

BBS Signature

Response to Drawing Tablet 11 and FLASH JAM! 2020-12-04 16:08:19

I don't think Ruffle is too limited to make something legit... I played through almost all of Abobo's Big Adventure the other day via Ruffle.

I think I might try something weird/experimental for this jam.

Response to Drawing Tablet 11 and FLASH JAM! 2020-12-04 16:08:43

Does anyone even remember how to code in AS2 anymore? Legitimately curious how fierce the competition is going to be.

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.

Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

Response to Drawing Tablet 11 and FLASH JAM! 2020-12-04 16:16:47

At 12/4/20 02:20 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 12/4/20 01:15 PM, CzySzy wrote: I have some interesting ideas for the main entry. BTW check out this quick test dress up I've just made.
One suggestion - try larger click areas on the buttons, so they are easier to tap on mobile! This goes for all Flash games with mobile in mind.

what if my target audience is specifically people with skinny fingers on mobile?

also first post

None

BBS Signature

Response to Drawing Tablet 11 and FLASH JAM! 2020-12-04 16:26:29

At 12/4/20 04:08 PM, Kwing wrote: Does anyone even remember how to code in AS2 anymore? Legitimately curious how fierce the competition is going to be.

I have been wondering, should we open it to everything even if some entries will need to use our desktop player? I like the idea of it all working in the browser.

BBS Signature

Response to Drawing Tablet 11 and FLASH JAM! 2020-12-04 16:28:46

At 12/4/20 04:08 PM, BoMToons wrote: I don't think Ruffle is too limited to make something legit... I played through almost all of Abobo's Big Adventure the other day via Ruffle.

I think I might try something weird/experimental for this jam.

Ruffle also runs Dad n Me really well except for the dynamic audio, which is also why The Room hasn’t switched over, plus a quirk with some palette change rendering order.

I’m also hoping to come up with something fresh and interesting - want it to feel like it’s moving ahead with Flash, vs a throwback.

BBS Signature

Response to Drawing Tablet 11 and FLASH JAM! 2020-12-04 17:24:19

FLASH JAM?! Yes! What a way to celebrate a legend! If anyone needs voices in their game or animation, hit me up! I would love to help out! :D

You need a voice? I got plenty for ya! :D

BBS Signature

Response to Drawing Tablet 11 and FLASH JAM! 2020-12-04 17:25:09

Super cool idea!

Response to Drawing Tablet 11 and FLASH JAM! 2020-12-04 18:03:33

I'm going to dust off @Mindchamber for this shit...

Response to Drawing Tablet 11 and FLASH JAM! 2020-12-04 18:22:13

This will be great, it's gonna be interesting to see the reactions of the people that are convinced flash and Newgrounds will dissappear this month. Also if anyone of y'all need some electronic/techy/weird music check me stuff out and see if you like what you see (or hear, rather).

Response to Drawing Tablet 11 and FLASH JAM! 2020-12-04 19:16:59

Mr. Fulp can my flash be pr0n?

Response to Drawing Tablet 11 and FLASH JAM! 2020-12-05 02:39:35

Flash to the future:

Response to Drawing Tablet 11 and FLASH JAM! 2020-12-05 08:39:51

i have a feeling i might have inspired a new wave of dressup games, im so eager to see what everyones spin on the genre will be!! :D

hi :)

BBS Signature

Response to Drawing Tablet 11 and FLASH JAM! 2020-12-05 08:41:09

At 12/4/20 02:20 PM, TomFulp wrote:

hey tom one question!

is it possible to make a dressup in As2 working for mobile too?

(i kno nothin of programmin dont roast me too hard!!)

BBS Signature

Response to Drawing Tablet 11 and FLASH JAM! 2020-12-05 09:08:38

At 12/5/20 08:41 AM, MKMaffo wrote: hey tom one question!

Yup, you should be able to pull it off! What version of Flash are you using? Maybe I could make a template file and test it on mobile, too.

BBS Signature

Response to Drawing Tablet 11 and FLASH JAM! 2020-12-05 09:14:36

At 12/5/20 09:08 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 12/5/20 08:41 AM, MKMaffo wrote: hey tom one question!
Yup, you should be able to pull it off! What version of Flash are you using? Maybe I could make a template file and test it on mobile, too.

Cs6!

Was planning to convert the other one too!iu_204592_6884537.gif

BBS Signature

Response to Drawing Tablet 11 and FLASH JAM! 2020-12-05 09:27:12

At 12/5/20 09:14 AM, MKMaffo wrote: Was planning to convert the other one too!

I made a template FLA that can get the job done!

In that file, I have two shirts in the "Clothes" layer. Each shirt is a movieclip and inside that movieclip, the shirt art is a button. That button has code that says to startdrag when you press it and stopdrag when you release it.

To add clothing you can basically duplicate that shirt movieclip, then duplicate the shirt button inside of it to create a new item. There are different and better ways to do all this but it should get the job done! Trying not to get too fancy with it.

You can try this preview to see it on desktop and mobile.

BBS Signature

Response to Drawing Tablet 11 and FLASH JAM! 2020-12-05 10:08:09

Just great. This flash jam emerges after I have decided to stop making flash games next year.