00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TheADHX just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Iunno, wizards or something?

7,319 Views | 89 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Iunno, wizards or something? 2020-04-28 12:34:20

Aight so I rather like these wizard dudes I've been making, based on Pokemon types and type combinations, and have wanted to share them on Newgrounds for a while, but also kinda set my standards rather high for what I do and don't post to the Art Portal, so they ended up not getting on here up til now because I kinda forgot the forums existed until recently.

I'll be trying to update this topic daily with all the ones I've done so far, with some (hopefully) fun insight on each of them, and then after that it'll slow down and I'll update it whenever I do another one. There are still over a hundred left to do so if I do all of them this whole thing will take a while to be finished.

(By the way, while I know it somewhat defeats the purpose of posting them here, I'm linking to the Twitter thread because I think Newgrounds might(?) convert them to jpegs and I don't know how to ensure it doesn't, unlike on Twitter)

Anyway, here are the first three, though after this first post I'll be doing one at a time:

iu_115806_4374220.png

So this one is Fire type, though in this case and this case only that was decided I after I drew them. The original inspiration, as detailed in the thread, is that author/rogue twitter user Sam Sykes posted a couple of tweets on the topic of wide-brimmed wizard hats and how they are cooler than wizard hoods and so should be celebrated more. So I made this, and it may well still be the most impressive in terms of wide-brimmedness that the hats in this collection have gotten, though the rest of the design may be the most plain.

iu_115807_4374220.png

Water type, because I enjoyed making the first one, and wanted an excuse to do another, so decided to do the three starter types, not initially having plans to do more than that. Having done the first with just two colours I decided to keep that pattern and have done for the rest of the set. Had I known I would've started doing type combinations I'm sure I would've tried harder to make this one stand out a bit more conceptually, but I think they look fine, and the patterns were fun. One interesting detail is that I later tried to not have any lines I drew have open ends, a rule which I broke beforehand with the other two of these three, but not for this one.

iu_115808_4374220.jpg

There was only one starter type remaining, and I think I might actually like this one the most out of the three, as their design is more evocative of plants than the others are of their respective types, what with the brim shaped like a flower and the leaf patterns all over. Big, big cuffs on this one, probably the biggest of the whole series.

So that's all for today, hope you enjoy them. If not, ok.

Response to Iunno, wizards or something? 2020-04-29 05:22:04

Hey it's the day after I posted the first one of these, so here we go.

iu_116042_4374220.png

This one is Ghost type. I didn't initially have any plans for which one I'd do after the first three, but someone who saw me doing them is a big fan of Ghost types, and was like "Yo, could you do a Ghost type?" so I went "Sure." and here we are. Two eyes, for the first and potentially only time in this entire collection, and they're in the wrong places. This one actually had a later correction after the first time I posted it in the thread, because, as you may notice, all the shadows have a little line a bit outward from the edge, and when I initially posted this fella I forgot to include that line.

A'ight. Day 3. Here we go.

iu_116515_4374220.jpg

This is Dragon type. You can tell by the wings, I think. I think this is one of the cooler designs overall, because I was having fun playing with the basic shape of the wizard with the wide-brimmed hat. I believe this one is in fact now too wide for me to post to Twitter, after they changed their requirements for what is and isn't saved as a png, so that's a pretty impressive hat, especially considering the relative size of the wearer. I remember a pal of mine, a massive nerd about dragons, enough to once have corrected me on something being an Amphiptere rather than a wyvern, told me that he found this one disappointing, and then I told him to turn the image upside-down whereupon he was like that's pretty neat actually, though he still liked my later part-Dragon entry more.

Response to Iunno, wizards or something? 2020-04-30 11:25:16

These are really cool, I hope you keep developing and building on them. I'd be excited to see them placed in an envrionment!

Response to Iunno, wizards or something? 2020-04-30 13:05:31

At 4/30/20 11:25 AM, EtyZips wrote: These are really cool, I hope you keep developing and building on them. I'd be excited to see them placed in an envrionment!

I do feel like doing something along those lines whenever I get to making a big compilation image. Thanks.

Response to Iunno, wizards or something? 2020-05-01 05:32:52

Hey, it's day four, and a whole new month on top of that. Wow. Here's another dude.iu_116770_4374220.jpg

This is Rock type. I was going for a general stalactites motif, and attached a few crystals to them for extra flare. One of the biggest ones as far as I can recall, probably the biggest there was at the time, which I thought was fitting for this type. I kinda wish I'd put a bit more effort into the necklaces n belts n such but there's not much to be done about it now. I do like the colours for this one quite a bit.

Response to Iunno, wizards or something? 2020-05-01 07:18:11

do you take Wizard requests?

A distant engine of hate is stirring....

Illustration | Animation

BBS Signature

Response to Iunno, wizards or something? 2020-05-01 07:54:43

At 5/1/20 07:18 AM, Template88 wrote: do you take Wizard requests?

Not at the moment, though if your request happens to involve a Pokemon type combination and the designing of a wizard inspired by said type combination I'll get to eventually.

Response to Iunno, wizards or something? 2020-05-01 08:42:20

At 5/1/20 07:54 AM, Urichov wrote:
Not at the moment, though if your request happens to involve a Pokemon type combination and the designing of a wizard inspired by said type combination I'll get to eventually.

Oh yes, I figured. Fighting/Ghost would do, for me.

A distant engine of hate is stirring....

Illustration | Animation

BBS Signature

Response to Iunno, wizards or something? 2020-05-01 10:01:44

At 5/1/20 08:42 AM, Template88 wrote:
At 5/1/20 07:54 AM, Urichov wrote:
Oh yes, I figured. Fighting/Ghost would do, for me.

(:

Response to Iunno, wizards or something? 2020-05-02 05:11:46

It be day 5 here we go again:

iu_117184_4374220.jpg

This is fairy type. Apparently I decided to not give them shoes so who knows what variety of insidious sexy creature could potentially be dwelling underneath the pink and...uh, beige, maybe. Tan? Could be tan. Or straw, perhaps. Anyway, when I think Fairy type, therefore fairies, I think of the shifty kind that tricks you into odd propositions to their benefit, i.e. the fun kind, in my opinion, so I tried to convey that with this design. I think this one might have ended up looking a little flat, in retrospect, but I do still really like this particular colour scheme, mainly because not many similar ones have shown up since in this series.

Response to Iunno, wizards or something? 2020-05-03 06:23:53

Well, my internet has done went and committed sudoku on me, which will be the state of things until the 8th, so if on any of the next few days I am caught not updating this thread, you know the reason why.

Anyway, day 6:

iu_117535_4374220.png

This is Dark type. At the time the meme about a rantsona folding its arms was still somewhat relevant but the connection was entirely unintentional. This is one of the more popular of the ones I've posted, for whatever reason. Maybe it's the power of edge. The folded arms probably gave me trouble, as I have had experiences with folded arms giving me trouble so I don't see why this would be any different. I personally think this one is just a little bit generic but if people like it then they like it.

Response to Iunno, wizards or something? 2020-05-04 05:18:06

Well my internet has certainly gotten worse, so my fingers, it seems, were not crossed enough, but regardless, here we go on day 7:

iu_117791_4374220.jpg

This is Steel type. I think this one had been in mind as soon as I decided to do all 18 types, which is not especially impressive since it could be considered rather obvious, but I didn't initially plan for this blue-faded-gold colour palette, which I'm quite happy with, since if I'd done them in just grey and darker grey this one might've ended up looking super generic. I think I could've put them in a more interesting pose but then again, that goes for most of the early ones.

Response to Iunno, wizards or something? 2020-05-05 05:44:56

Connection has yet to improve, and I think it's making Newgrounds do weird stuff in response so hopefully this post doesn't do anything strange. Day 8:

iu_118082_4374220.png

This is Ground type. You can tell because they're on the ground. I recall I went to the library while working on this one, and for some part of the process I ended up using a mousepad (as opposed to the mouse which I usually use) for some reason I can't recall. Either I forgot my mouse or it ran out of battery. Anyway I rather like this one, though I think it's a bit generic. I think it just sorta pops, with the colours n the pose n the angle n stuff. Think it's kinda funny that this ended up being one of the smaller images when I envision this lad is being one of the biggest of these wizards.

Response to Iunno, wizards or something? 2020-05-06 06:17:23

Only one more day after today that I have to deal with the internet being stupid*. Anyway, here's day 9:

iu_118391_4374220.png

I've actually posted this same one on Newgrounds dot com before, in the description of this drawing that the outfit appeared in, and I probably used it in that drawing on account of being very fond of it. At the time, this was probably my favourite, between the colours bein super sharp n such, the pose being quite a bit more dynamic than any of the preceding ones, and it just having more personality to it than most of the previous designs, with the headband and the belt to show that this, truly, no joke, not even kidding, is a wizard who punches things. I remember I wrote when I originally posted this on Twitter that there was some Dragonball inspiration, but I've forgotten quite how it manifested. I think I was trying to do an outfit somewhat reminiscent of Piccolo's but what with the having of sleeves and other such factors I don't know if it comes across all that much.

* Well, I say one more day, but there's still over thirty of these lil guys to go so my internet could still stop working again at some point next month if it is wont to do so.

Response to Iunno, wizards or something? 2020-05-06 09:25:16

Pretty cool brah.Will some of them wildly wary or will all of them have similar motifs?Also,what made you come up with such an idea?Also pitching in a Genetic or Missing.NO type just because.

BBS Signature

Response to Iunno, wizards or something? 2020-05-06 09:34:59

At 5/6/20 09:25 AM, phenorax wrote: Pretty cool brah.Will some of them wildly wary or will all of them have similar motifs?Also,what made you come up with such an idea?Also pitching in a Genetic or Missing.NO type just because.

Some of them later on are a lot more distinct but the thing that's absolutely remaining consistent is that they all have wide-brimed pointy hats. The original inspiration was Sam Sykes, an author I used to follow on Twitter, tweeted that he held strong opinions on the matter of the traditional pointy hat being objectively superior wizard design to the far less interesting big hood, and I rather agreed with that so made the first one. After posting the first one, I noticed or realised or what have you that the colour scheme felt a lot like a Fire-type Pokemon, and then kept making things according to Pokemon types from there.

A Missing No. wizard could be interesting. but I've never heard of a Genetic Pokemon before. Is that something from one of the spinoffs?

At 5/6/20 09:25 AM, phenorax wrote: Pretty cool brah.Will some of them wildly wary or will all of them have similar motifs?Also,what made you come up with such an idea?Also pitching in a Genetic or Missing.NO type just because.

Thank you.

Some of them later on are a lot more distinct but the thing that's absolutely remaining consistent is that they all have wide-brimed pointy hats. The original inspiration was Sam Sykes, an author I used to follow on Twitter, tweeted that he held strong opinions on the matter of the traditional pointy hat being objectively superior wizard design to the far less interesting big hood, and I rather agreed with that so made the first one. After posting the first one, I noticed or realised or what have you that the colour scheme felt a lot like a Fire-type Pokemon, and then kept making things according to Pokemon types from there.

A Missing No. wizard could be interesting, but I've never heard of a Genetic Pokemon before. Is that something from one of the spinoffs?

At 5/6/20 09:36 AM, Urichov wrote:

A Missing No. wizard could be interesting. but I've never heard of a Genetic Pokemon before. Is that something from one of the spinoffs?

It´s Mew and Mewtwo.The idea is that it´s because of experimentation the clothing and wizard are one,meaning a amalgamation of flesh and cloth fiber with some unnatural angles to add to the uncanny horror of the design.At least that´s what i think off when i think of it.

BBS Signature

Response to Iunno, wizards or something? 2020-05-06 09:44:43

At 5/6/20 09:40 AM, phenorax wrote: It´s Mew and Mewtwo.The idea is that it´s because of experimentation the clothing and wizard are one,meaning a amalgamation of flesh and cloth fiber with some unnatural angles to add to the uncanny horror of the design.At least that´s what i think off when i think of it.

Ah I see now. That also sounds interesting. Maybe I'll do it. I'll have plenty of time to decide with over a hundred of the main type combinations still remaining.

Response to Iunno, wizards or something? 2020-05-06 09:46:44

At 5/6/20 09:44 AM, Urichov wrote:
At 5/6/20 09:40 AM, phenorax wrote: It´s Mew and Mewtwo.The idea is that it´s because of experimentation the clothing and wizard are one,meaning a amalgamation of flesh and cloth fiber with some unnatural angles to add to the uncanny horror of the design.At least that´s what i think off when i think of it.
Ah I see now. That also sounds interesting. Maybe I'll do it. I'll have plenty of time to decide with over a hundred of the main type combinations still remaining.

Yeh, from what i see you have your work cut out for you.Well good luck bustin´yo ass drawing all them wizzerds,i will periodically check on the project from time to time.

BBS Signature

Response to Iunno, wizards or something? 2020-05-06 09:49:32

At 5/6/20 09:46 AM, phenorax wrote: Yeh, from what i see you have your work cut out for you.Well good luck bustin´yo ass drawing all them wizzerds,i will periodically check on the project from time to time.

Thanks brah.

Response to Iunno, wizards or something? 2020-05-07 05:53:36

Day 10. Last day of slow internet, so this one feels weirdly appropriate.

iu_118725_4374220.png

Electric type. I remember originally the colour palette was going to have like some yellow, but I didn't like how it looked so changed it to cyan. As I would discover much, much later, [nearly ten months later, in fact, (I took several breaks, I'm not just incredibly slow)] in the second most recent design, which is number 42 I think, the solution to keep the yellow in there would've been to make it a very light yellow, bordering on white, but I think this solution was equally valid. I think this one is sort of a tipping point, after which the designs would slowly start getting a lot more distinctive. Them go nyoom.

Response to Iunno, wizards or something? 2020-05-07 05:57:33

At 4/29/20 05:22 AM, Urichov wrote: Hey it's the day after I posted the first one of these, so here we go.

This one is Ghost type.

Seems the image didn't upload properly, or got deleted somehow, so I'm posting it again, and hopefully there are no weird issues this time.iu_118726_4374220.png

Response to Iunno, wizards or something? 2020-05-08 07:24:37

What with having suddenly much more powerful internet connection I lmost forgot to update today, but I didn't so yay. Day 11:

iu_119037_4374220.png

Poison type. I like this one rather a lot. Looks super shifty, which was what I was going for so I'd classify this one as an absolute success on that front. Bit less interesting in terms of posing than the last couple, though, and the vials of poison they have strapped on them are kinda hard to distinguish as being what they are. And the shoes look just a bit weird. And I don't think I would have the purple edges on the coat if I were to do it now. So I think you can tell from all the nitpicks that this one's maybe one of the less technically well-realised, but I still think it's fun. If I ever am given a reason to redraw this one I'm sure it'll look better then.

Response to Iunno, wizards or something? 2020-05-09 06:49:13

Hey, it's day uhhh twelve, it would seem. If there's any day I'm most likely to forget about this I guess it's tomorrow.iu_119363_4374220.jpg

This is Psychic type. This one is quite weird, though I think I like it more now than I did at the time. I recall doubting whether or not I should go with this colour scheme, but as you can see I ultimately decided that I would. While, as I have already said, this one is weird, and I enjoy the hanging spheres of mysterious purpose, I do think if I were to design this one now I'd find something weirder which I would enjoy more. Both of the combinations I've done thus far that involve Psychic type I find a lot more enjoyable, so I guess look forward to those in...three weeks, to get to the later one.

Response to Iunno, wizards or something? 2020-05-10 07:42:15

If there's any day I'm most likely to forget about this I guess it's tomorrow.

I didn't my dudes. I'm doing good. Day 13:

iu_119798_4374220.jpg

Love this little dude. Had a lot of fun designing and drawing them. I actually pulled out the 3D tools for this one, since the hat brim is so ornate that I didn't want to eyeball it. The frost-like patterns were a fun time, as were the other patterns, and I'm realising as I write this that this one only actually has two types of pattern on it which I think is

pretty neat. Also for the first time there is no indication as to what their hands might be doing (assuming, of course, that they have any hands to be doing anything with) so that sticks out from the rest up to this point. This one had a shared degree of popularity with the Dark type one, but I like it quite a bit more.

Response to Iunno, wizards or something? 2020-05-10 08:07:53

I really like these and as well how they are based off of Pokemon types! With the electric type wouldn't that one be more yellow than blue?

Response to Iunno, wizards or something? 2020-05-10 08:12:59

At 5/10/20 08:07 AM, Swabs wrote: I really like these and as well how they are based off of Pokemon types! With the electric type wouldn't that one be more yellow than blue?

The original intent was yellow, actually, but when I went for a traditional yellow I didn't like the look of it, so I went with blue since a lot of media gets by fine with blue electricity. There's actually one way later down the line that's part-electric where I did use yellow in approximately the way I was originally intending.

At 5/10/20 08:12 AM, Urichov wrote:
At 5/10/20 08:07 AM, Swabs wrote: I really like these and as well how they are based off of Pokemon types! With the electric type wouldn't that one be more yellow than blue?
The original intent was yellow, actually, but when I went for a traditional yellow I didn't like the look of it, so I went with blue since a lot of media gets by fine with blue electricity. There's actually one way later down the line that's part-electric where I did use yellow in approximately the way I was originally intending.

That make sense, in the Pokemon world I would assume that would be water or ice type. Can't wait to see the next one! Hands down though my favorite one is the psychic type one.