00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

KiToDaAra just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Phaser Jam Winners!

17,410 Views | 19 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Phaser Jam Winners! 2020-02-21 13:45:54

This past month we hosted a Phaser Jam here on Newgrounds!

Phaser is a free, open-source, desktop and mobile HTML5 game framework created by @PhotonStorm, who also made Cat Astro Phi here on Newgrounds.

@PsychoGoldfish created some tutorials for the jam and beyond, such as Getting Started with Phaser, Animating Sprites with Phaser as well as buttons and user input. He also made a Phaser Jam preloader and a post-Jam tip guide for sounds on mobile.

The jam offered $100 prizes for the top three games and we’ve added two $50 honorable mentions to include all the judges’ favorites. Shout out to @PsychoGoldfish, @PhotonStorm and @PhantomArcade for judging assistance.

Here the winners!

1st Place - $100

Blooming is a difficult game but worth the journey! If you get stuck on the platforms before the title screen, note that tapping jump vs holding jump will help avoid bumping your head.

2nd Place - $100

Infinity Dungeon is a good opportunity to dungeon crawl on mobile. It gets repetitive but the concept is solid.

3rd Place - $100

Closing In is a gripping high score challenge, where the closing walls create a genuine feeling of suspense.

Honorable Mention - $50

Sarah is a point and click mystery with a surprising conclusion.

Honorable Mention - $50

“Hey! I just need some bread” has the makings of a decent brawler, right down to double tapping to run. Would be fun to see it expanded further beyond the jam.

Runner-Ups

Horizon 6 has interesting controls but they can feel a bit awkward.  Shooting stuff is fun and the faux 3d classic arcade look is hot as hell.

Daxolissian System is a lot of fun when you get the hang of it, although it remains tricky to maneuver as things get harder.

Hoisted is a nice play on the platform golf genre. We could see this being especially endearing with a highly animated protagonist and more elaborate explosions. 

Intergalactic Exterminator is a decent horizontal shooter with great visuals and a lot of potential to be expanded on.

Biker Hero is simple but plays fast and feels good. Art isn't the greatest, but works great with the sound effects.

Arcade Shooter Mix is a WASD+mouse shooter with progression and good path-finding enemies. It ultimately becomes repetitive but has a solid foundation.

Dog Bark is an interesting idea that takes a minute to figure out. Running around the spinning planet is cool but ultimately leaves you wanting more excitement.

Subby plays like Flappy Bird with reverse gravity and better art.

Feed & Evolve is a simple click defense game with a novel evolve mechanic.

Roadside Boardin' is an infinite runner that can have some cruel randomness. Also note that you jump on release vs press, if that’s causing any confusion.

Halloween Run looks, sounds and feels like a polished mobile game but the hitboxes can be a bit tricky.

Under Wife is a simple avoider game with a cute premise.

Fortify is a neat concept with cool physics but the collision feels unforgiving.

Cloud Ball is a basic bounce game but the cloud is cute.

Thank you everyone who participated in the Phaser Jam! The goal of jams like this is to encourage people to try different tools and frameworks, or stretch their legs with frameworks they already know. We all think and create in different ways and being exposed to a variety of tools is a great way to find the one that works best for you. We hope everyone had fun and learned some stuff as a result of the jam! You also gave us a bunch of cool games to play, which is always appreciated.

iu_95574_1.png

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Phaser Jam Winners! 2020-02-21 14:04:58

At 2/21/20 01:45 PM, TomFulp wrote: 3rd Place - $100

//www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/748078

Closing In is a gripping high score challenge, where the closing walls create a genuine feeling of suspense.

I don't know what to say... Thank you! I was really happy with the response to this game, all of the reviews meant a lot to me. I'm glad I decided to take a chance on this Jam, I was pretty scared and out of my element going into it. I do 100% intend to continue using Phaser going forward, it is an excellent framework, and I would encourage anyone who is curious about it to give it a shot even though the jam is over.

I've already said it before, but I just want to extend another public thank you to @PsychoGoldfish for posting the tutorials and providing that jumping-off-point for Phaser. It was a huge help.

Response to Phaser Jam Winners! 2020-02-21 14:12:04

So much good work from up and coming game devs, can't see where they go from here!

Click the Squid -> 🦑

Response to Phaser Jam Winners! 2020-02-21 15:49:17

Oh dear.

I still can't believe it.

Thank you so much, I thought I could reach the position of honor, but I would never have believed the first place.

I'm sorry for everyone who found the game frustrating.

Unfortunately, by testing the game alone, I don't have the slightest conception about its difficulty, as it is easy for me.

Thank you again.

Response to Phaser Jam Winners! 2020-02-21 15:56:34

At 2/21/20 03:49 PM, HealliesGames wrote: Thank you so much, I thought I could reach the position of honor, but I would never have believed the first place.
I'm sorry for everyone who found the game frustrating.
Unfortunately, by testing the game alone, I don't have the slightest conception about its difficulty, as it is easy for me.

This was the same issue we ran into with Alien Hominid on consoles... The closer you are to it, the easier it seems, so you try to make it a challenge and it ends up being brutal for everyone else. Reviews on NG are really useful for that - each of the updates you made really smoothed out some of the more difficult aspects.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Phaser Jam Winners! 2020-02-21 21:30:08

But I liked the brutality of the original release of Blooming!

At least I can be like the old fart who says "Back in my day we couldn't move vertically when we used blue flowers, and the coin jugs fired twice as fast. And I got my ass kicked a LOT until I got gud and kicked ITS ass! Those were the days..."

But srsly congratulations to all the winners, and thanks to PhotonStorm for creating such a great framework and thanks again to PsychoGoldfish for helping out all the devs!

My newsfeed has random GameDev tips & tricks

Response to Phaser Jam Winners! 2020-02-22 02:45:18

I just got prize first time in my life. This totally made my day. Thank you so much.

Response to Phaser Jam Winners! 2020-02-22 03:09:16

Congratulations to all who won, and well done to everyone who participated.

Just another NG user.

Thanks, @COOLZONE17500 for the cool signature.

BBS Signature

Response to Phaser Jam Winners! 2020-02-22 03:19:59 (edited 2020-02-22 03:21:52)

Congratulations to all the winners of the jam!!! Blooming really is an outstanding game and deserves the first place, however, the others are awesome as well!

Response to Phaser Jam Winners! 2020-02-22 10:16:24

I am sorry I could not participate this time

Response to Phaser Jam Winners! 2020-02-22 13:53:33

Some pretty fun stuff floating around the mix here.

Congrats to the winners!

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to Phaser Jam Winners! 2020-02-22 15:12:04

Congrats to all those who won.

Response to Phaser Jam Winners! 2020-02-23 04:20:16

At 2/21/20 09:05 PM, TheGameFan2020 wrote: @TomFulp Do You Want Newgrounds Private Messages Page To Be Update To Mobile Friendly For This Year?

Not to be rude but why do you have to write every word with a capital letter .

She/They, 19., I draw sometimes.

Support me on ko-fi, it helps!

BBS Signature

Response to Phaser Jam Winners! 2020-02-23 12:44:23

At 2/22/20 10:16 AM, xXRileydaoneXx wrote: I am sorry I could not participate this time

There will definitely be more jams in the future, Phaser or otherwise, so you'll get another chance! They're a really fun community-wide activity, so I would definitely encourage you to give it a shot when the next one rolls around!

Response to Phaser Jam Winners! 2020-02-24 06:37:18 (edited 2020-02-24 06:37:23)

At 2/22/20 03:12 PM, Little-Rena wrote: Congrats to all those who won.

...and may those who lost all fare all the better in the next great NG tournament!

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to Phaser Jam Winners! 2020-02-25 03:37:37

Congratulations to everyone who entered, regardless of your placing :) We will add all of the entries onto the Phaser site over the coming months. I'm very pleased with the turn-out and quality of games here, so my thanks to @TomFulp and @PsychoGoldfish for making it (finally!) happen.

Response to Phaser Jam Winners! 2020-02-25 12:40:02

At 2/22/20 10:16 AM, xXRileydaoneXx wrote: I am sorry I could not participate this time

There's always next time!

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to Phaser Jam Winners! 2020-02-26 18:18:05

I will! expect me in there

Response to Phaser Jam Winners! 2020-02-26 19:14:38

And here's me thinking that this was a promotion to create games and movies that involved the use of phasers...

Response to Phaser Jam Winners! 2020-02-27 13:32:00 (edited 2020-02-27 13:33:57)

Congrats to the Game Jam winners! Closing In has this fun simplicity to the gameplay, which I look for in these indie games.

• Dimension Lord