00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Bruemeister just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Shelter in Place Art Winners

9,725 Views | 39 Replies
Respond to this Topic

To encourage self-isolation and reward creativity, last month we hosted a Shelter in Place Art Jam! In total there were 205 entries. @IvanAlmighty, @PhantomArcade, @Spazkid, @JohnnyUtah and myself have now selected our favorites and decided the winners:

1st - 5th: $50 Each

The Luis Award: 

Luis is being awarded his own category with a Starr Restaurant Gift Card. The Starr Restaurant group in Philadelphia is having a buy one get one free deal for gift cards so I’ve bought one and will give Luis the bonus card. When the restaurants reopen we’ll grab dinner and drinks, or just a lot of drinks. If you have favorite restaurants in your area, check to see if they are selling gift cards during the downtime!

Runners-up:

Thank you everyone who participated in the jam! It was a lot of fun seeing how each of you interpreted your home / workspace. 

Speaking of home workspaces...

Covid-19 Relief Information

@pftq sent me some info that may be useful for self employed artists who have been impacted by the coronavirus shutdown.

The Covid-19 Economic Injury Disaster Loan is a $10k forgivable loan, meaning under certain conditions you don’t need to pay it back:

• Paid sick leave to employees unable to work due to the direct effect of COVID-19.
  • Maintain payroll
  • Increased costs due to supply chain disruption
  • Rent or mortgage payments
  • Repaying obligations that cannot be met due to revenue loss

The Paycheck Protection Program is a potentially larger forgivable loan, for up to two months of your average monthly payroll costs from the last year plus an additional 25% of that amount. You will owe money when your loan is due if you use the loan amount for anything other than payroll costs, mortgage interest, rent, and utilities payments over the 8 weeks after getting the loan.

Definition of payroll costs include:

• Salary, wages, commission (not to exceed $100,000)
  • Cash tips or equivalent
  • Vacation, parental, family, medical or sick leave
  • Severance or separation pay and any retirement benefit
  • Group health care benefit pay including insurance premiums
  • State and local tax on the compensation of employees

More information for self employed individuals can be found here.

I also included some less mainstream food delivery options in yesterday’s post, if you’re having a hard time getting groceries delivered.

Smiling Friends

This week Adult Swim ran a pilot for @psychicpebbles and @MichaelCusack’s show, Smiling Friends! @RomeoJR and myself had voice cameos and @Oney did some music and animation. 

Animation production was by Yotta, an animation studio started by @jakeganz and @TomaMoto that includes lots of animators from NG, like assistant director @jaxxy@PaperbagAnimator and @Gregzilla. Background artists included @zeedox and @BLITZWUFF. @IvanAlmighty and @RWappin did assist animation, too!

Don't hesitate to PM me if you've been left out on that list and want to get plugged in.

People are already making lots of Smiling Friends fan art, it would be exhilarating to see it get picked up as a series!

iu_107382_1.jpg

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Shelter in Place Art Winners 2020-04-03 10:49:16

Congratulations to winners!

Response to Shelter in Place Art Winners 2020-04-03 10:56:20

I was really hoping one of the winners would've been either pixelated (Luis doesn't count) or a darker approach to the shelter-in-place theme, but seeing the winners, I understand why they were chosen based on practicality, art style, and theme consistency alone.

Can't say I'm surprised @StaggerNight won a spot.

Love the update on helping self-employed artists find financial aid during these tough times-- it can't be overstated enough.

Also, shout out to LITERALLY EVERYONE who's made fanart of Smiling Friends! It's so enjoyable to look at! I got to check out a few snippets of the show because of all the hype, and I was blown away by its premise and execution. Check out psychicpebble's latest news post where he goes into explicit detail about his love for Newgrounds and the causality of depression-based mindsets that help inspire the show's original script. It's all thanks to you guys!

*xin laugh*

Response to Shelter in Place Art Winners 2020-04-03 10:57:01

We really enjoyed looking at these pieces. I don't get into many of the art competitions, but these were great to check out. I highly recommend it if somebody hasn't looked at them yet.

Congrats to the winners!

Really was a lot of involvement with this one, a few I thought would really have a shot at the top yet they're nowhere near... all amazing though. Particularly tough competition during pandemics hmm.

The latest: Hexa #98 (Jun)

BBS Signature

Response to Shelter in Place Art Winners 2020-04-03 11:15:30

These are great, congratulations to all

first? First.

| It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose|||Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel.||||

BBS Signature

Response to Shelter in Place Art Winners 2020-04-03 11:39:57

Those are some banging winners! I had a lot of fun participating and hope that despite not winning, you found something about it to appreciate!

Response to Shelter in Place Art Winners 2020-04-03 11:43:48

W00t thanks so much guys!!

This jam was a blast! it was cool to check out the variety of rooms, and also some of the more unique interpretations.

Also, just focusing on drawing a room with a bunch of detail for a while was a pretty good distraction for these days.

BBS Signature

@staggernight did an outstanding job. My favorite by far. Congrats to the winners!

My unfinished WIP. I was too slow!

(>'-')>

Response to Shelter in Place Art Winners 2020-04-03 12:04:03

Well deserved winners, congrats! I also really want to see that pilot now.

BBS Signature

Response to Shelter in Place Art Winners 2020-04-03 12:21:23

At 4/3/20 10:15 AM, TomFulp wrote: To encourage self-isolation and reward creativity, last month we hosted a Shelter in Place Art Jam!

This was the most successful art jam ever IMO. Congrats to everyone who won!

Response to Shelter in Place Art Winners 2020-04-03 12:46:56

Congratulations to all the winners. Keep it up.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Shelter in Place Art Winners 2020-04-03 13:19:47

man, Smiling Friends was hilarious, I really do hope it gets picked up, that would be a huge win for a creator originating from Newgrounds, and would be exciting as hell

Tom you voiced the boyfriend guy right? That part got me fuckin good

Come on down to Fulpstation, baby

BBS Signature

Response to Shelter in Place Art Winners 2020-04-03 13:48:54

At 4/3/20 01:19 PM, Snackers wrote: man, Smiling Friends was hilarious, I really do hope it gets picked up, that would be a huge win for a creator originating from Newgrounds, and would be exciting as hell

Ya that was me!

BBS Signature

Response to Shelter in Place Art Winners 2020-04-03 16:05:58

Congrats to all the winners, but especially @Luis for the most sought after price! Many tried, but I never saw it coming he'd win.

BBS Signature

Response to Shelter in Place Art Winners 2020-04-03 16:28:06

AY! Thanks for praises I guess. I loved this contest especially and what others drew for it. There were some awesome creative ideas. I will see you guys around.

Response to Shelter in Place Art Winners 2020-04-03 17:10:50

I told you guys that I wouldn't win this, and I was right. I consider going into this counting on myself losing was a win win scenario. Either I was right, or I got money. I can't lose either way. Congratulations to the winners though.

And presto, it's kirbo

Response to Shelter in Place Art Winners 2020-04-03 17:57:22

i was wondering why in the art portal there where this strange pics

saw Smiling Friends and o man it is good

thank you for introducing it to us

Response to Shelter in Place Art Winners 2020-04-03 18:06:43

At 4/3/20 05:57 PM, davidpuralocura wrote: i was wondering why in the art portal there where this strange pics

hurry up and get out of here corona!

I want to be back in bars and restaurants. Also congrats to all the winners and participants! It was a fun thing to work on. Kudos to Ivan and his quick thinking.

also first post.

None

BBS Signature

Response to Shelter in Place Art Winners 2020-04-03 19:08:34

At 4/3/20 06:06 PM, Luis wrote:
At 4/3/20 05:57 PM, davidpuralocura wrote: i was wondering why in the art portal there where this strange pics

I want to be back in bars and restaurants. Also congrats to all the winners and participants! It was a fun thing to work on. Kudos to Ivan and his quick thinking.

also first post.

luis let’s do a zoom happy hour with your two favorite NG people

BBS Signature

Response to Shelter in Place Art Winners 2020-04-03 20:37:55

At 4/3/20 01:48 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 4/3/20 01:19 PM, Snackers wrote: man, Smiling Friends was hilarious, I really do hope it gets picked up, that would be a huge win for a creator originating from Newgrounds, and would be exciting as hell

Ya that was me!

I was wondering that too lol! Grats for that Tom :)

And of course GRATS to all the amazing artists who won and participated, it was really fun!

Response to Shelter in Place Art Winners 2020-04-03 21:12:20

Thanks Tom and the rest of the Newgrounds crew! I had a lot of fun participating and hope to see everyone who entered return for this year's Pico Day art contest as well, I think I have a pretty good idea for my entry!

As for Covid-19 relief, you may be eligible to receive temporary unemployment benefits depending on your state. I know here in Jersey they have laid out options related to the current state of affairs to specify your reason for filing, such as your place of employment having its operations temporarily ceased due to Covid-19, so be sure to check!

Response to Shelter in Place Art Winners 2020-04-03 22:17:50

my boys Coby and Chips top 2 hell yeah great job boys. also congrats to all the other winners this art contest cool

sicko mode

BBS Signature

Response to Shelter in Place Art Winners 2020-04-03 23:41:21

At 4/3/20 07:08 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 4/3/20 06:06 PM, Luis wrote:

also first post.
luis let’s do a zoom happy hour with your two favorite NG people

I was going to invite you on a discord call tomorrow evening

None

BBS Signature

Response to Shelter in Place Art Winners 2020-04-03 23:48:07

Wow so many great entries! Didn't see the first place piece till now, it's excellent, great work from the judges! Congratulations to all the winners and participants! Stay safe.

Response to Shelter in Place Art Winners 2020-04-04 03:32:37

Congratulations to the winners!!! Some outstanding art there!

Response to Shelter in Place Art Winners 2020-04-04 05:20:07

Hey I did what I could do but at least I participated.

Response to Shelter in Place Art Winners 2020-04-04 08:25:57

At 4/4/20 05:20 AM, mile667 wrote: Hey I did what I could do but at least I participated.

Yeah, same here. I feel relieved actually to have seen the results.

Response to Shelter in Place Art Winners 2020-04-04 10:58:13

Ayyyyyy!!

Runner-up ain't half bad, much thanks!

Congrats to everyone, this was a really fun way to bring people together and make the most out of these weird and whacked out times

I've been around since the start of time (kinda)

BBS Signature

Response to Shelter in Place Art Winners 2020-04-04 11:41:59

At 4/3/20 12:01 PM, Zhon wrote: @staggernight did an outstanding job. My favorite by far. Congrats to the winners!

My unfinished WIP. I was too slow!

Ah well there's always next year!

Or... maybe not with this one, hopefully not...

At 4/3/20 11:39 AM, Dingalow wrote: Those are some banging winners! I had a lot of fun participating and hope that despite not winning, you found something about it to appreciate!

Nothing like a little good extra exposure with these isolation contests at least!

The latest: Hexa #98 (Jun)

BBS Signature