You got a lot better!
Almost everything I had to criticise about the gameplay in the first part was far better here.
I will read through my first review again and check if whether or not you improved in this part.
- I could distinguish the characters a lot better. Most characters had their own colour scheme and their own unique way of attacking ( One threw a Shuriken while another was throwing dust for example) great improvement! Well the spells could still look a bit more spectacular but overall good!
- The fights felt more dynamic, as mentioned above, the new attack animations helped a lot. The background improved a bit even though they still look plain. Especial the one in the caves is boring to look at. I would also reommend to work on the size of the enemies. Most of them look very small and weak. If you take a look at for example Final Fantasy 6 most enemies are far bigger then the character, making them look more challenging. I do still see a lot of room for improvement here.
- The levels felt a bit more lively. I still do not like the many empty houses as well as the locked backdoors. I always think there could be something useful behind one of these doors. However I do understand that most people do want to lock the doors to their bedrooms or whatever is behind these doors. Another small step forward with room for improvement.
- Leveling was a lot better, enemies dropped useful stuff more often and the characters learned useful spells more often. Keep it up like this!
- Collecting money was also a lot better, thank you for making items buyable and useful!
Saving finally works, another big plus point.
I did however find another minor bug. Kyte always kept reapearing in the Inn with the same dialogue, however it did not annoy me.
As in the last game the sound, music and story were good and you slightly improved them. Keep the function of talking to squad mates up, I already liked the idea in the first part.
Overall a far better game. Try to make the combats a bit faster paced, try to create more lively terains and make spells more useful ( For example the healing spells was useless for me).
4/5 and 8/10, I am looking forward for part 3!