Be a Supporter!

Voting System Overhaul Proposal

  • 47,601 Views
  • 420 Replies
Respond to this Topic
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 1999
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 20
Game Developer

Quick news: @Troisnyx is organizing a Newgrounds 20th Anniversary Collab! Respond in that thread if you'd like to participate!

My MAGFest talk was moved to 12pm on Sunday, Jan 25th. Come and say hi! Current NG attendees.

Voting System Overhaul Proposal

Please respond with feedback!

The new voting system will be universal for all Portals (games, movies, audio, art).

You will gain 2 XP for each vote, with a max of 10 XP daily.

On weekends you will be able to log up to 20 XP daily.

XP is logged instantly, no more five vote minimum requirement.

All existing score data will be backed up but no longer used. Review scores will become the new existing score data.

Users can only vote once on each piece of content and can edit that vote whenever they want.

The score that shows in your review is the same score as your vote, there is just one location on the page to enter you score.

You can hide your score or submit a review without a score (many people are anti-scoring).

Combined voting and reviewing box, default appearance.

What you see after voting.

What you see when you click the review text field.

What you see after submitting your review.

Once you write a review, it always appears above the other reviews on the page, so you can see what you wrote and edit (or delete?) if desired.

Let me know your thoughts on this plan!


Nightmare Cops, the game JohnnyUtah, Spazkid and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
Voltus
Voltus
  • Member since: Jul. 10, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Musician

sounds fine! Finally you can get some xp in the audio portal as well! exciting!


Voltus' Soundcloud
Newest Track: Dirac Sea
If you want me to Review one of your pieces, just send me a PM ;)

RB
RB
  • Member since: Mar. 17, 2014
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Melancholy

Cool. I may enter the collab!
I think it would be pretty awesome to change the voting system.


till we overdose

Gianni
Gianni
  • Member since: Oct. 9, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Voice Actor
Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-12 09:35:12 Reply

At 1/12/15 09:27 AM, TomFulp wrote: You can hide your score or submit a review without a score (many people are anti-scoring).

As one of them, I'm extremely in favor of this. This overhaul sounds great.


BBS Signature
DjGubkafish
DjGubkafish
  • Member since: Dec. 11, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Blank Slate

So are you saying that voting will be replaced by the starts above the review?

I think it makes things easier for newcomers so its a good idea . When i first came here I thought review score was the same as voting .

Also are you saying that we can edit our reviews and votes or just votes? I think we should not be able to do that cuz people gona troll

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 1999
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 20
Game Developer
Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-12 09:42:09 Reply

At 1/12/15 09:35 AM, DjGubkafish wrote: Also are you saying that we can edit our reviews and votes or just votes? I think we should not be able to do that cuz people gona troll

The plan is to allow review edits but we could log all previous review content. There are cases where developers fix issues with their games and reviewers would like the opportunity to update their review based on that.


Nightmare Cops, the game JohnnyUtah, Spazkid and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
Sectus
Sectus
  • Member since: Feb. 15, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 27
Writer

I'm guessing that it will work the same as the forum post system, or perhaps with a shorter time you can edit.

Or maybe I'm wrong, I dunno. I just don't really think it is a good idea to allow for review edits.

EDIT: @TomFulp - Is the flagging system still going to be the same, or is that going to be changed at all to reflect the new system?


[Report Rule-Breaking Portal Submissions] - [I don't actually have a personality]

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 1999
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 20
Game Developer
Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-12 09:44:05 Reply

At 1/12/15 09:42 AM, Sectus wrote: I'm guessing that it will work the same as the forum post system, or perhaps with a shorter time you can edit.

Or maybe I'm wrong, I dunno. I just don't really think it is a good idea to allow for review edits.

If we decide long-term editing is bad, we COULD try doing the 15 minute window and just allow a long-term score edit option to reflect a change of opinion.


Nightmare Cops, the game JohnnyUtah, Spazkid and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
Ciullo-Corporation
Ciullo-Corporation
  • Member since: Oct. 1, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Game Developer
Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-12 09:44:28 Reply

In short the voting widget on sidebar will be removed, the old rating will be the starting base for the new score and to submit a new vote you have to write a review?
It seems good, people will give/receive more feedback than just n.n stars...

ChazDude
ChazDude
  • Member since: Jun. 20, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 08
Artist
Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-12 09:47:31 Reply

At 1/12/15 09:44 AM, TomFulp wrote:
If we decide long-term editing is bad, we COULD try doing the 15 minute window and just allow a long-term score edit option to reflect a change of opinion.

I think a 15 min window would prevent any abuse.


The word 'tosser' is tossed around a lot these days.
For newbies . Art advice . Feel free to follow (up to you I suppose)
£$€!

BBS Signature
adaline
adaline
  • Member since: Feb. 13, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Musician

Love the idea; seems to be geared to get people to provide feedback over the content they're scoring that's more than just a number.

I will say, though, that the part that I'm not really getting is the extension on the weekends.

At 1/12/15 09:27 AM, TomFulp wrote: You will gain 2 XP for each vote, with a max of 10 XP daily.

On weekends you will be able to log up to 20 XP daily.

XP is logged instantly, no more five vote minimum requirement.

First of all, there's the international time zone issue, which shows that it's primarily designed by and meant for people in the US/Canada (primarily the audience here, but still), but also it would give people the incentive to respond on the weekend over a weekday.

Another issue with the whole notion of XP guiding the incentive to review is that after a user hits 10 reviews on a day, or 20 on the weekend, they no longer have any guided incentive to continue reviewing. This also doesn't really cement the incentive to create quality reviews, rather, just reviews. Instead, I think one good idea would be to take a cue from Reddit on this particular issue and make the number or percentage of "People find this review helpful!" votes on a particular review determine the effect of the review on the user's XP and entirely remove the XP cap. The result would be that users would have an inherent incentive to: a) write reviews, but also b) write quality reviews. The total helpful reviews the user makes could be a statistic on their profile as well.

Sectus
Sectus
  • Member since: Feb. 15, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 27
Writer
Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-12 09:49:41 Reply

At 1/12/15 09:47 AM, ChazDude wrote: I think a 15 min window would prevent any abuse.

Well, see, in the case that someone wants to fix up opinion pieces and grammar in past reviews, I can understand that. Perhaps we can implement a system where the person only has around 10 or 15 minutes total for each review, and any time they start editing a review, the 15 minutes starts counting down again. This way, they can edit their review as many times as needed, but they only have a universal 15 minutes to use.


[Report Rule-Breaking Portal Submissions] - [I don't actually have a personality]

BBS Signature
123mine123
123mine123
  • Member since: Mar. 7, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Artist
Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-12 09:49:44 Reply

Sounds really good!
I hope we can also get XP on votes at at the Art and Audio portal too though.


:3

Maltor-Sever
Maltor-Sever
  • Member since: Jan. 31, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 37
Blank Slate
Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-12 09:49:54 Reply

so the idea , if I understand correctly is that you are forcing the user to write up a review on the flash in order to be able to vote on it?, as it is you have implemented the system so that we actually have to watch a flash before being able to vote on it . this sounds like a needless change , also what about our levels and B/p ?, will they still have effect ?, you know you might as well get rid of those actually, and make it so that all users have the same level and voting power.


The Darkside of the force offers great power and strength

BBS Signature
Voltus
Voltus
  • Member since: Jul. 10, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Musician
Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-12 09:50:52 Reply

At 1/12/15 09:47 AM, ChazDude wrote:
At 1/12/15 09:44 AM, TomFulp wrote:
If we decide long-term editing is bad, we COULD try doing the 15 minute window and just allow a long-term score edit option to reflect a change of opinion.
I think a 15 min window would prevent any abuse.

if its possible, i think it would be nice if you could change your score/review each time the developers update their game.


Voltus' Soundcloud
Newest Track: Dirac Sea
If you want me to Review one of your pieces, just send me a PM ;)

Radaketor
Radaketor
  • Member since: Dec. 31, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 33
Movie Buff
Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-12 09:51:06 Reply

At 1/12/15 09:27 AM, TomFulp wrote: The new voting system will be universal for all Portals (games, movies, audio, art).

Awesome!

You will gain 2 XP for each vote, with a max of 10 XP daily.

Also awesome!

On weekends you will be able to log up to 20 XP daily.

It will take some time to get used to but hey, 10 extra XP is probably worth it.
Will we be able to see how much more XP we can deposit that day?


"Till one day, that lion gets up and tears the shit out of everybody."

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 1999
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 20
Game Developer
Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-12 09:51:13 Reply

At 1/12/15 09:48 AM, vartan wrote: Another issue with the whole notion of XP guiding the incentive to review is that after a user hits 10 reviews on a day, or 20 on the weekend, they no longer have any guided incentive to continue reviewing. This also doesn't really cement the incentive to create quality reviews, rather, just reviews. Instead, I think one good idea would be to take a cue from Reddit on this particular issue and make the number or percentage of "People find this review helpful!" votes on a particular review determine the effect of the review on the user's XP and entirely remove the XP cap. The result would be that users would have an inherent incentive to: a) write reviews, but also b) write quality reviews. The total helpful reviews the user makes could be a statistic on their profile as well.

The review isn't required to get XP - just voting gives you XP and the review is optional. Making the review required for XP would likely result in lots of "cool!" and "ok" reviews. NG reviews are actually good and helpful compared to other websites so we're hoping it stays that way.


Nightmare Cops, the game JohnnyUtah, Spazkid and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 1999
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 20
Game Developer
Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-12 09:52:28 Reply

At 1/12/15 09:48 AM, vartan wrote: I will say, though, that the part that I'm not really getting is the extension on the weekends.

The time zone issue is a concern, hard to say if we could do much about that. Site activity is generally heavier on weekends and people have more time to check stuff out, which is why the double XP concept seems like it could be fun and boost activity even more.


Nightmare Cops, the game JohnnyUtah, Spazkid and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 1999
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 20
Game Developer
Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-12 09:52:47 Reply

At 1/12/15 09:49 AM, 123mine123 wrote: Sounds really good!
I hope we can also get XP on votes at at the Art and Audio portal too though.

That's the plan!


Nightmare Cops, the game JohnnyUtah, Spazkid and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
adaline
adaline
  • Member since: Feb. 13, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Musician

At 1/12/15 09:51 AM, TomFulp wrote: The review isn't required to get XP - just voting gives you XP and the review is optional. Making the review required for XP would likely result in lots of "cool!" and "ok" reviews. NG reviews are actually good and helpful compared to other websites so we're hoping it stays that way.

That totally clears it up! I guess my only concern is the boosted weekend cap. Seems rather arbitrary.

EDIT:

At 1/12/15 09:52 AM, TomFulp wrote: The time zone issue is a concern, hard to say if we could do much about that. Site activity is generally heavier on weekends and people have more time to check stuff out, which is why the double XP concept seems like it could be fun and boost activity even more.

In a way, though, by that logic, why limit the XP on weekdays? What's the link between XP and site traffic, and why have such a cap depend on site traffic?

FinaLee
FinaLee
  • Member since: Nov. 4, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Audiophile
Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-12 09:54:36 Reply

I like it! Stops the hardcore zero bombers, encourages reviews, and double XP weekends! What's not to love?


BBS Signature
LDAF
LDAF
  • Member since: Mar. 8, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-12 09:54:46 Reply

Just some thoughts:

- Good to finally see the portals getting a universal voting system instead of Games/Movies giving EXP and not Audio and Art.

On weekends you will be able to log up to 20 XP daily.

This is a nice little touch for people who're busy during the week.

All existing score data will be backed up but no longer used. Review scores will become the new existing score data.

Just a little confused by what this means, exactly. Let's say a submission has a score of 3.0, but the reviews (currently) average out to 7.0. Would this mean that the new score for the submission is 7.0?

- The drafts look fine and all, but I think it would just be a damn shame to lose the Pico voting icons; they've been around for so long that I'm positive a lot of people are nostalgic for them. I know that it'd be awkward to have them work on a scale of 0-10 (since they're currently 0-5), but maybe this shitty MS Paint-style mockup could show what I'm trying to get across:

http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/ee0d0ce02fe96517532c34707863932b

In this case, the user would be voting a score of 7. Obviously the 0-5 written on the icons would be changed, and there'd probably have to be better visual communication, but I hope it gets the idea across.

All in all, this doesn't seem like a bad idea! I think this'll work out well.


Are you MAN enough to click this?!

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 1999
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 20
Game Developer
Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-12 09:55:17 Reply

At 1/12/15 09:49 AM, The-Eternal-Abyss wrote: so the idea , if I understand correctly is that you are forcing the user to write up a review on the flash in order to be able to vote on it?, as it is you have implemented the system so that we actually have to watch a flash before being able to vote on it . this sounds like a needless change , also what about our levels and B/p ?, will they still have effect ?, you know you might as well get rid of those actually, and make it so that all users have the same level and voting power.

We may need to figure out how to make this more clear. Reviewing is not required to vote. You can vote on something, or you can review something, or you can do both.

The current system is weird because we have a vote bar in the left column and then a second vote bar for the review in the right column. We want to get it down to one vote bar while also solving all our other long-standing problems.


Nightmare Cops, the game JohnnyUtah, Spazkid and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 1999
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 20
Game Developer
Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-12 09:55:34 Reply

At 1/12/15 09:50 AM, Voltus wrote: if its possible, i think it would be nice if you could change your score/review each time the developers update their game.

That's a good idea, we could try that!


Nightmare Cops, the game JohnnyUtah, Spazkid and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 1999
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 20
Game Developer
Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-12 09:55:59 Reply

At 1/12/15 09:51 AM, Radaketor wrote: It will take some time to get used to but hey, 10 extra XP is probably worth it.
Will we be able to see how much more XP we can deposit that day?

Good point, we should include a note for that.


Nightmare Cops, the game JohnnyUtah, Spazkid and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
Zornuzkull
Zornuzkull
  • Member since: Mar. 28, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Movie Buff
Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-12 09:57:06 Reply

I always wondered why art and audio didn't provide experience...
Overall I approve if it will encourage more people to visit the art and audio portal...
There are a lot of good artists and musicians not getting heard or seen...


All our ignorances bring us closer to annihilation... Sig by Illicit...
나는 흑룡이다. 我是黑龙 ฉันเป็นมังกรดำ ഞാൻ കറുത്ത ഡ്രാഗൺ ആണ് tôi là con rồng đen ខ្ញុំជានាគខ្មៅ

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 1999
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 20
Game Developer
Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-12 09:58:17 Reply

At 1/12/15 09:53 AM, vartan wrote: In a way, though, by that logic, why limit the XP on weekdays? What's the link between XP and site traffic, and why have such a cap depend on site traffic?

I guess another thought behind it is that it would "feel" special; knowing you have a limited window to get more XP would make it more compelling / exciting to take advantage of the window, vs having the same window 365 days per year.


Nightmare Cops, the game JohnnyUtah, Spazkid and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
Maltor-Sever
Maltor-Sever
  • Member since: Jan. 31, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 37
Blank Slate
Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-12 09:58:37 Reply

At 1/12/15 09:55 AM, TomFulp wrote:
The current system is weird because we have a vote bar in the left column and then a second vote bar for the review in the right column. We want to get it down to one vote bar while also solving all our other long-standing problems.

you are talking about the stars that i can give to a flash right now in the current review system, you are saying that those would become the new voting 0 1 2 3 4 5 buttons ? or remain as stars and act like the voting buttons


The Darkside of the force offers great power and strength

BBS Signature
Voltus
Voltus
  • Member since: Jul. 10, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Musician
Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-12 10:01:07 Reply

At 1/12/15 09:55 AM, TomFulp wrote:
We may need to figure out how to make this more clear. Reviewing is not required to vote. You can vote on something, or you can review something, or you can do both.

an idea would be to have a small "tutorial" when the update hits. say you have a dummy page with a lot of tooltips, which shows users the different possibilities to scoring/reviewing something.


Voltus' Soundcloud
Newest Track: Dirac Sea
If you want me to Review one of your pieces, just send me a PM ;)

LucidShadowDreamer
LucidShadowDreamer
  • Member since: Dec. 23, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 18
Musician
Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-12 10:02:22 Reply

Hmm... Change is always weird, but I think I can get used to this. The new system sounds fine to me :)