00:00
00:00

Voting System Overhaul Proposal

53,477 Views | 412 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-18 13:22:33

Yays! Commenting without rating will be helpful for when you want to comment on bugs in the game without giving a full review...or having to PM the developer.

It looks really good in my opinion. I like that you're able to hide the score. Also the XP-progress bar could be a great motivator. I'm down for this. :)

Edit: Being able to edit reviews is awesome too!

Oops, double post.. I'm drunk..

Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-18 21:51:31

Woah woah wait up, give me a second here. If this goes through, will it be impossible to vote on a submission without reviewing it? Because that would be a really bad idea.

Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-18 22:31:01

At 1/18/15 09:51 PM, Wardsmith wrote: Woah woah wait up, give me a second here. If this goes through, will it be impossible to vote on a submission without reviewing it? Because that would be a really bad idea.

No, they're still separate, just in the same area. You can do one without the other.

Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-19 01:32:31

At 1/18/15 10:31 PM, mattanderson776 wrote:
At 1/18/15 09:51 PM, Wardsmith wrote: Woah woah wait up, give me a second here. If this goes through, will it be impossible to vote on a submission without reviewing it? Because that would be a really bad idea.
No, they're still separate, just in the same area. You can do one without the other.

Great, thank you.

At 1/19/15 01:32 AM, Wardsmith wrote:
At 1/18/15 10:31 PM, mattanderson776 wrote:
Great, thank you.

I hope this doesn't mean votes will be hidden, zero bombers will be all over that :/ I won't be happy till we smoke them out and people stop 5'ing their own songs, this would squash that and bring balance.

New Piercing Lazer album "The Other Side Chronicles" coming June 8th to Itunes, BandCamp, and other digital stores!

BBS Signature

Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-19 03:04:59

Oh hell yeah! the voting system definitly needs a good modernization program to get it up to date. Far as I know, Newgrounds has had the same voting system in place since it was first introduced years ago..glad to see its getting some attention...as it currently is...it could be worse...but I'm glad to see the folks at the top paying attention and trying to improve it on their own initative....that fact and the constant stream of content is whats kept me coming back since I first discovered the site way back when.

Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-19 03:20:38

I think the voting system works fine the way it is.

my sig has fighters in it bitches

BBS Signature

Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-19 05:02:26

will the whole weekend thing be individually based around users' own timezone or just the U.S time zones, if that's the case I think that would be a little unfair to people who are not in the U.S

BBS Signature

Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-19 05:12:17

i think this idea is awesome

Jesus Saves!!

My Instagram Art

Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-19 09:40:50

this is one of the better ideals in updates I have seen. Now if you could somehow fix it where we could report stolen material again without abuse being a problem. In the portal like old times.

old people say lol; and we still use these }{

BBS Signature

Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-19 09:54:22

At 1/19/15 01:54 AM, RealFaction wrote:
I hope this doesn't mean votes will be hidden, zero bombers will be all over that :/ I won't be happy till we smoke them out and people stop 5'ing their own songs, this would squash that and bring balance.

Well according to the OP, seems like all votes will be tracked to ensure that 1 user gets 1 vote per entry. I'm assuming they'll be using the same algorithm they use to enforce the 1 vote per day rule (IP). So even if you get 0-bombed, you'll get 0-bombed like once per every user that wants to 0 bomb you (which I'm assuming is like one or two max). So it's still a pretty big improvement over the system we have now where you can vote on a piece once every day.

Also users should not be allowed to vote on their own entries. I've accidentally zero-bombed my own pieces when I'm clicking too fast. Herp.

Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-19 11:56:04

Bout damn time really. I have always thought a single vote rule was needed. Just look at the audio portal and all the daily votes used to push things around without actually reflecting the true quality of the submission.

BBS Signature

Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-19 14:34:58

Count me in for the collar! :D

Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-19 15:31:23

At 1/19/15 09:54 AM, CypressDahlia wrote: Also users should not be allowed to vote on their own entries. I've accidentally zero-bombed my own pieces when I'm clicking too fast. Herp.

That could easily be circumvented by alt accounts. On a better note, if you could update your rating like was suggested, that would allow you to fix your problem, so that's a good thing at least.

Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-19 15:36:23

At 1/12/15 05:11 PM, TomFulp wrote: However, if you edited your vote, that would presumably log the new XP. So suddenly there's this desire to go through and edit all your votes whenever you level up... Maybe that is something we would just automatically do, when you level up it would go through your voting history and update according... Might feel cool to know when you level up, you elevate every vote you ever made.

At least do this. Just occurred me how messed up the voting power would be in this system and came running scared to this topic... I'm already missing so much voting more than once when going back to cool submissions, ruining the voting power would be the last straw.

Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-19 18:45:43

At 1/19/15 03:31 PM, mattanderson776 wrote:
That could easily be circumvented by alt accounts. On a better note, if you could update your rating like was suggested, that would allow you to fix your problem, so that's a good thing at least.

Having an Alt account doesn't change your IP address, though.

Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-19 19:42:59

At 1/19/15 06:45 PM, CypressDahlia wrote: Having an Alt account doesn't change your IP address, though.

True, but you can just use a proxy, use your phone's network, or connect to someone else's network. Not saying that just because there are ways around something is a reason for not putting it in though. Using someone's IP address would be a little restrictive if you have a brother or something with an account, or a friend goes over to your house. I don't think they should be penalized in a way for not using a different IP.

Voting on your own content is dumb, and probably could be disabled from the account that published the content without any major backlash, but it just doesn't seem to be that big of a deal really since everyone will only get one vote. The only thing that could cause a problem would be with the voting power, and if that ever got reworked to give higher levels more power I would say yeah, go ahead and disable voting on your own submission from your account.

Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-19 20:43:43

At 1/19/15 09:54 AM, CypressDahlia wrote:
At 1/19/15 01:54 AM, RealFaction wrote:
Well according to the OP, seems like all votes will be tracked to ensure that 1 user gets 1 vote per entry. I'm assuming they'll be using the same algorithm they use to enforce the 1 vote per day rule (IP). So even if you get 0-bombed, you'll get 0-bombed like once per every user that wants to 0 bomb you (which I'm assuming is like one or two max). So it's still a pretty big improvement over the system we have now where you can vote on a piece once every day.

...that's already happening, that won't change a thing. It's once every 24 hours already as it is....the point of a system change is so we can get more fair votes. They already track the votes per user. That's already enforced....:/. It's not an improvement unless we smoke them out by forcing the votes to be shown with a review. That way if someone wants to be a prick, IP ban.

New Piercing Lazer album "The Other Side Chronicles" coming June 8th to Itunes, BandCamp, and other digital stores!

BBS Signature

Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-19 22:25:31

Since we're talking about new scoring system

How about authors cannot vote for their own works.

Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-19 23:03:50

At 1/19/15 10:25 PM, Abracadabra123 wrote: Since we're talking about new scoring system

That's a good idea. That's actually why zero bombers exist so I heard for some people. Some zero bombers who have come out said they 0'd people's works because right when the artists upload their song, they would rate 5 to get it to the top to be more noticed. Not surprisingly, those artists vote 0 on a lot of top artists to knock them down to get up there in their place. It's sad. So really, I understand why zero bombers exist. There's those fighting against the egotistical artists, and those who just do it to get their songs higher on the lists. It's sad.

However, in some cases, it's just trolls being jerks to try and get reactions out of people. I really hope the new voting system doesn't allow self-song voting and doesn't hide ratings so we can ban the people who aren't truly a part of this community, those who are selfish need to get out of NG.

BBS Signature

Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-20 03:13:02

All existing score data will be backed up but no longer used. Review scores will become the new existing score data.

The score that shows in your review is the same score as your vote, there is just one location on the page to enter you score.

You can hide your score or submit a review without a score (many people are anti-scoring).

Would this mean you could no longer search via voting score but by reviewing scores? I mean I guess but, there are tons of submissions that are scored really high right now that only have a few reviews. Wouldn't that make it harder to find some of the good content? I could see it helping those that already have a following but it seems that it would raise the glass ceiling for newer users rather than promote a stronger community. Many users want to vote and be done with it rather than take up a portion of their time to earn a pittance of exp.

Now perhaps I've got the whole thing wrong, but that's the way it came off to me.

Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-20 08:14:46

At 1/19/15 10:25 PM, Abracadabra123 wrote: Since we're talking about new scoring system

but how else do you suggest i could have got one of my clock day submissions into the top 20 of all time?

Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-20 09:26:27

At 1/19/15 08:43 PM, RealFaction wrote:
...that's already happening, that won't change a thing. It's once every 24 hours already as it is....the point of a system change is so we can get more fair votes. They already track the votes per user. That's already enforced....:/. It's not an improvement unless we smoke them out by forcing the votes to be shown with a review. That way if someone wants to be a prick, IP ban.

Sadly it's untrue that votes are being recorded. Votes are just being linked to an IP address. What the vote is (whether it's a 0, 1, 3, 5) is not kept track of and the username that submitted the vote is not kept track of. It's only recorded whether or not an IP address submitted a vote within the last 24 hours. That's why mods really can't do anything about 0 bombing right now because there is no precise way to tell who's submitting what votes, simply who voted within the last 24 hours.

That's why Tom's new system will be a huge improvement as users will be directly linked to their score.

Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-20 09:34:14

At 1/19/15 07:42 PM, mattanderson776 wrote:
True, but you can just use a proxy, use your phone's network, or connect to someone else's network. Not saying that just because there are ways around something is a reason for not putting it in though. Using someone's IP address would be a little restrictive if you have a brother or something with an account, or a friend goes over to your house. I don't think they should be penalized in a way for not using a different IP.

These are kind of outlandish scenarios. And those places would only get one vote, too. Even if a person were to use 3 different access points to vote on their own work...it would only amount to 3 permanent votes. And think about the effort you'd have to go through just to make 3 votes. And your friend or brother or whatever probably isn't going to feel penalized for being unable to vote on something on Newgrounds. One person being unable to vote on one submission is not going to ruin a community, but our current voting system if un-changed just might.

Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-20 09:40:03

At 1/20/15 08:14 AM, jonthomson wrote:

but how else do you suggest i could have got one of my clock day submissions into the top 20 of all time?

Improve your movies.

The one thing I think I'd greatly miss with this proposed update is that classy assortment of Voting bars with a cast of popular NG characters. That bar has personality, and clearly lets a user know what they are voting via both number and motivational message. Without either numbers or text, a score is a very subjective thing, but as the score system in itself is bound by certain rules (such as 0-1 for blam & 2-5 for protect) those simple descriptions are a pretty useful guide, are worded in a fun way; just feel like one of those elements that add character to the place. The stars, in contrast, feel a bit generic and bland... really not sure I like the idea of having them replace that much more aesthetically appealing/charismatic bar that's been such a prominent part of this place the past decade(s)!

Maybe you could have both elements remain, and have the vote count as one regardless of how you vote, via the bar or via stars? If you don't use the review space immediately, the vote could be shown in star format when you do, and be easy to change along with the review, at that point in time? I like the side-bar/left-side placement of the current voting bar too, feels like the optimal spot... though that might be just a habit.

Love the idea of an EXP gain bar to motivate level increases, but IMO it looks a bit chunky in the draft, would be nice with something more subtle, and level up animations/messages/transition things would be awesome! And how about having an option in user profiles to enable that vault page you used to see every time you'd deposited your daily 10 EXP? Could be turned off by default so people only see it if they want to, was a pretty nice reward.

Love the 2x weekend EXP idea too, and the one-vote per submission. And lack of submissions voted on to fulfill your daily quota.

As for old votes being discarded and review votes starting to count... I guess that's the only way of correcting any currently zero-bombed submissions, with users no longer able to up-vote wrongly scored submissions themselves if the pruposed change comes into play. Seems like a scary move discarding all old votes like that... but does seem like the best way to progress! And with backups of all old votes it'd be reversable if it for some reason doesn't work out so well. Overall really excited about these new changes, but do hope you consider keeping those Pico bars! Not just for sake of nostalgia, but usability too.

Check out the NRC / Hexa #54 (Jun)

BBS Signature

Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-20 12:40:41

At 1/12/15 09:27 AM, TomFulp wrote: Quick news: @Troisnyx is organizing a Newgrounds 20th Anniversary Collab! Respond in that thread if you'd like to participate!

My MAGFest talk was moved to 12pm on Sunday, Jan 25th. Come and say hi! Current NG attendees.

Voting System Overhaul Proposal

Please respond with feedback!

The new voting system will be universal for all Portals (games, movies, audio, art).

You will gain 2 XP for each vote, with a max of 10 XP daily.

On weekends you will be able to log up to 20 XP daily.

XP is logged instantly, no more five vote minimum requirement.

All existing score data will be backed up but no longer used. Review scores will become the new existing score data.

Users can only vote once on each piece of content and can edit that vote whenever they want.

The score that shows in your review is the same score as your vote, there is just one location on the page to enter you score.

You can hide your score or submit a review without a score (many people are anti-scoring).

Combined voting and reviewing box, default appearance.

What you see after voting.

What you see when you click the review text field.

What you see after submitting your review.

Once you write a review, it always appears above the other reviews on the page, so you can see what you wrote and edit (or delete?) if desired.

Let me know your thoughts on this plan!

I think this is a great idea. It'll give us a chance earn XP in our own pace without worrying about whether or not it'll be cashed in or not. That, and it'll make everyone want to rate more submissions which will give artists more feedback and a more accurate rating. Great idea! I'm down!

Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-20 19:40:57

Fine by me.