00:00
00:00

Voting System Overhaul Proposal

53,438 Views | 412 Replies
Respond to this Topic

At 1/12/15 10:58 AM, Little-Rena wrote: Underdog is an award for a movie/game that didn't stand out. Low score vs Most favourites?
I also assume this doesn't change the current blam/protect system?

Yeah !!!

Being a game maker is My ambition And 'tis the starting !!!!!!

Games|Animation|Music|Art

BBS Signature

Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-12 22:56:42

But... I'll miss the Pico heads.

Good.

Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-12 23:00:27

I've been meaning to give feedback on more content. Hopefully this will help me develop good habits.

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.

Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

All existing score data will be backed up but no longer used. Review scores will become the new existing score data.

Whoh, this is gonna set the audio portal on fire, they have been asking for this for like 10 years. Though I do wonder what the purpose of votes are at all if reviews are what matter.

Thumbs up though. Sounds good to me.

Come join music competitions on Chips Compo and hang on our Discord!

Good artists copy. Great artists get banned from the Audio Portal.

BBS Signature

Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-12 23:03:53

At 1/12/15 09:27 AM, TomFulp wrote: The new voting system will be universal for all Portals (games, movies, audio, art).
You will gain 2 XP for each vote, with a max of 10 XP daily.
XP is logged instantly, no more five vote minimum requirement.
Let me know your thoughts on this plan!

For wanting to keep my current level icon this wouldn't be good for me since I use the needing to vote 5 times to be able to still vote on some stuff but not have the experience from doing so since I avoid ever hitting 5. With this change it would mean even voting once would give some experience which would end up eventually getting rid of the best level icon available that wouldn't take years of constant voting to get, which would be kind of irritating since been trying to keep it for as long as possible.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Let's Player, Artist, NekoMika's Legacy!

BBS Signature

Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-12 23:23:10

Something I think I forgot to mention: I think having Underdog as high score vs low views would make sense, since something with few views didn't get very noticed but the few who did notice it really appreciated it, and getting Underdog would then put that submission in a place with the other portal awards where it would get additional exposure, which should probably be the purpose of Underdog imo.

Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-12 23:46:27

Finally!
So stoked!!

Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-12 23:55:28

Not sure if it's been addressed yet, but are you going to do anything about users who make a bunch of alt accounts to abuse the voting system to take down stuff they don't like?

http://richard.newgrounds.com/reviews/
He admits to doing exactly that in his recent movie reviews, for example.

I think it should be a perma-bannable offense.

Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-13 00:09:22

I'm surprised we never got points for the audio and art portals.

I would rather see us get 40 points a day (10 per portal) and a few extra levels tacked on.

Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-13 00:09:32

Hallelujah! About time

Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-13 00:11:02

I like the partial credit for voting on a few submissions. Ability to edit reviews also good. Reviews without having to rate, also nice. Times change, I remember when we would rate individual elements of the submission, before it became one. Everyone was score-happy.

I like the idea of being able to get extra EXP, as some of us do a LOT of voting. Getting EXP for voting in the other Portals makes sense. Editing reviews could be helpful.

As for the rest of it, I must admit that the proposed system is quite confusing. :\

Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-13 03:34:20

At 1/12/15 11:23 PM, artistunknown wrote: Something I think I forgot to mention: I think having Underdog as high score vs low views would make sense.

Yeah, I think this is better.

Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-13 04:12:29

I knew there was going to be some type of 20th anniversary stuff!

Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-13 04:43:10

At 1/12/15 09:32 AM, Voltus wrote: sounds fine! Finally you can get some xp in the audio portal as well! exciting!

I vote more on music than I do video. So I'm definitely a fan!

Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-13 05:40:29

2 thumbs up here!

Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-13 05:53:17

sounds good and fair. yeah, i'd like to experience this new leveling change.

Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-13 05:53:31

At 1/12/15 11:23 PM, artistunknown wrote: I think having Underdog as high score vs low views would make sense, since something with few views didn't get very noticed but the few who did notice it really appreciated it, and getting Underdog would then put that submission in a place with the other portal awards where it would get additional exposure

I like the sound of this idea.

BBS Signature

At 1/12/15 09:27 AM, TomFulp wrote: All existing score data will be backed up but no longer used. Review scores will become the new existing score data.

Users can only vote once on each piece of content and can edit that vote whenever they want.

The score that shows in your review is the same score as your vote, there is just one location on the page to enter you score.

I don't get it. So, now, instead of just voting for submission I have to write a review each time I want to vote? The only thing this system will do is make A LOT of stupid reviews. If I got it right - it would be better to leave possibility to vote without reviewing the submission. By the way, Newgrounds is international portal, I mean, for me, for example, English is not mother-tongue, so it is not so easy to review everything you'd like to vote for.
Other ideas are great.

Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-13 06:28:17

[em]: Voting System Overhaul Proposal

Please respond with feedback!
Users can only vote once on each piece of content and can edit that vote whenever they want.[/em]

This is good. For years I've been wondering why they allowed to multi-vote on the same submission in the first place.

[em]: Combined voting and reviewing box, default appearance.

What you see after voting.

What you see when you click the review text field.

What you see after submitting your review.[/em]

Still looks too much like Ebay / Aliexpress feedback page to me. I've always though Newgrounds was more professional that you'd have more bells and whistles to pimp your review. Just stars and a box is a little mainstream.

As for the 20 exp / weekend and removing the minimum, I'll live with those. Just never had difficulties with the way it was either.

I am the Cell in your GengerTown.

BBS Signature

yeah whatever major change is being proposed just do it

BBS Signature

Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-13 07:13:04

How does voting power get calculated?
Does the vote power for a submission lock in on the first vote, or does it get updated each time the score is changed?

Comment chain on reviews would solve a lot of concerns, like users using reviews as replies, co-author replying, and enables discussion.

Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-13 08:09:37

The new voting system will be universal for all Portals (games, movies, audio, art).

Great news!

You will gain 2 XP for each vote, with a max of 10 XP daily.

I assumed that's how it is.

On weekends you will be able to log up to 20 XP daily.

Never keen on this idea, why would a weekend be more valuable then another day. the only day you could get 20XP was when you made an account and signed up for the news letter.

XP is logged instantly, no more five vote minimum requirement.

maybe having a tick box option for it to be deposited instantly as some users don't want to change icons but still vote?

All existing score data will be backed up but no longer used. Review scores will become the new existing score data.

Unsure how that will make things look, but will be interesting to see.

Users can only vote once on each piece of content and can edit that vote whenever they want.

Makes sense.

The score that shows in your review is the same score as your vote, there is just one location on the page to enter you score.

makes sense, why would you vote something low and review high (or the other way around)

You can hide your score or submit a review without a score (many people are anti-scoring).

Again will have to see how it looks.

BBS Signature

Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-13 08:49:55

At 1/12/15 11:55 PM, NeonSpider wrote: Not sure if it's been addressed yet, but are you going to do anything about users who make a bunch of alt accounts to abuse the voting system to take down stuff they don't like?

http://richard.newgrounds.com/reviews/
He admits to doing exactly that in his recent movie reviews, for example.

I think it should be a perma-bannable offense.

Wow. What a dick.

Agreed. The voting system is undermined when users create alts with the intention of disproportionately affecting a submission's score. What's the point of gaining levels when you gain far more of a voting advantage with 3 level 30 accounts than you would with one level 60?

When I've seen something pass through the portal which was obviously pushed through by a spam crew or some guy with several alts, I could vote two or three days in a row in an attempt to bring the score to something reasonable. Now that you only get one vote, this is no longer possible. I can imagine that a lot of users will decide to create voting alts to increase their scores now, and there's nothing I can do now besides give my one vote and move on.

It also may be a good idea to give a slight boost to the affect levels have on voting power. The larger the difference between a level 1 voting power and a level 60, the less users are going to gain from creating voting alts.

While we're on the subject, has the formula for voting power ever been released? I know that rank gives a +%x increase to voting power, but it seems that the base voting power depends on the total XP rather than the level, and I'm not sure to what extent it affects it.

To be honest,i don't like the color of the XP bar. I hope you will be able to choose between a few colors because as of right now,i think its looks quite ugly.
Also,i'm not a fan of the whole 'vote only once' thing either,especially now that i see that people can abuse that feature by making alt accounts. It kind of reminds me of Youtube,where all these annoying fucks (From gaming channels to music "artists",they all do it) who make alt accounts,like their comment over and over and comment on it with the same blunt crap like "OMG so talented!!!" or "really good". It's annoying,and i hope that that won't happen here in a different sort of way.

The rest looks fine though.

Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-13 09:23:55

At 1/12/15 09:42 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 1/12/15 09:35 AM, DjGubkafish wrote: Also are you saying that we can edit our reviews and votes or just votes? I think we should not be able to do that cuz people gona troll
The plan is to allow review edits but we could log all previous review content. There are cases where developers fix issues with their games and reviewers would like the opportunity to update their review based on that.

Im digging it.. Plenty of times Ive posted a hasty review on a first impression only to wish I could revise it because I began to enjoy a game or even a movie... Amazon is pretty flexible this way and it seems to work well.

At 1/13/15 07:13 AM, Jin wrote: Comment chain on reviews would solve a lot of concerns, like users using reviews as replies, co-author replying, and enables discussion.

This. Personally i would LOVE to be able to actually REPLY to someone in the comment section.
My only fear is that that might up the amount of trolling and insults (Believe me,i've been on Youtube and DevianTARD long enough to know what i'm talking about) so that should be something to be looking after aswell.

Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-13 09:48:22

instead of fucking with the vote system (Which is fine by the way) why not ohhhh I don't know.... maybe get that Lit Portal up and maybe a functional chat? if you think this is gonna bring in people by tweaking the vote system your delusional.

Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-13 09:57:02

At 1/13/15 09:26 AM, dutchiscool wrote:
At 1/13/15 07:13 AM, Jin wrote: Comment chain on reviews would solve a lot of concerns, like users using reviews as replies, co-author replying, and enables discussion.
This. Personally i would LOVE to be able to actually REPLY to someone in the comment section.

well technically couldnt you do this by just updating your comment with an @dutchiscool? personally I wouldn hate to see long winded fighting in the comment section. and even if its civil discussion, someone could always just make a forum post about it id imagine

Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-13 10:15:27

At 1/12/15 07:39 PM, RealFaction wrote: I kind've wish animators would hit the reset button to say 7 or 8 years ago back when I saw the most interesting stuff. There's still interesting stuff, but the stuff back then was totally different. Animators now focus too much on lackluster parodies or random stupid faces, or obnoxious loud humor, which is annoying and isn't funny anymore. It was only funny when Egoraptor did it, then people made it an unfortunate trend of ick. Too many Game Grumps cartoons, that needs to stop.

There are people around here who have the potential to be the next big comedy talent, if they don't give up before everyone else starts appreciating them.

More people just try to get attention nowadays but theres some good original ideas, but now most of the time, it's too much like a competition. I miss the days when most of them did what they wanted to and we ended up having better stuff. It makes me wonder what made people change and resort to this.

I blame YouTube for most of this.

PS: @TomFulp , what if we had a "like" button like a heart button with text by it to say "like this post" or something for certain posts in threads like these? It would be helpful for feedback to know what people like and don't like. That could help build Newgrounds too. Basically, say you have a post and like some forum threads, you could give it a thumbs up and it could say "+11 thumbs" to see how many people liked someone's post/reply. Some forums have this and it's quite useful.

We want to add a Like button on blog posts and if we get that going we might as well add it to forum posts too. The fact is people love feedback and "micro-interactions" that show you people are reading your stuff even when they aren't saying anything back.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature