00:00
00:00

Voting System Overhaul Proposal

53,385 Views | 412 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-14 15:15:21

At 1/14/15 01:52 PM, krazysquirrel05 wrote: I just have one concern though, no matter what we, are "not" going to loss our current Level influence and ranking correct?
/

Correct!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-14 15:53:21

I'll just straight say that it being universal is an objective improvement. Seriously objective. As well as the option to submit a scoreless review. And the one vote per media piece. All on board. Great job, guys.

What I am confused on is the "Review data will become the new Score data" section. Do you need to submit a review for your vote to count (and if so, what's the point of voting)? I mean, even typing it out seems a stupid question, but you never know.

If this has already been answered in the thread, just don't answer and I'll eventually muster up the motivation to read the whole thread.

Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-14 16:43:39

So my old reviews will have their scores removed, but I'll be able to go back and give them a new rating, which will count towards the movie/game's new score?

Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-14 17:00:20

At 1/14/15 04:43 PM, yetanotherjohn wrote: So my old reviews will have their scores removed, but I'll be able to go back and give them a new rating, which will count towards the movie/game's new score?

Old reviews would retain their scores, that would be your official vote for the submission. You'll have the option to edit that vote if you want.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

My thoughts are Newgrounds is getting worse and worse every time I come back. This is a terrible idea. The voting system was the best on the internet and now you want to take it from us? Multiple reviews let you show how passionate you were about an entry, and I didn't see any mention about changing how higher leveled peoples votes count for more. Hopefully that's not changing?

Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-14 17:06:56

At 1/12/15 11:55 PM, NeonSpider wrote: Not sure if it's been addressed yet, but are you going to do anything about users who make a bunch of alt accounts to abuse the voting system to take down stuff they don't like?

http://richard.newgrounds.com/reviews/
He admits to doing exactly that in his recent movie reviews, for example.

I think it should be a perma-bannable offense.

LOL One of those is on one of my old flashes. What an asshole.

As for the system I like it, but I think more should be done to increase the quality of reviews like maybe a word requirement.

Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-14 17:49:06

At 1/12/15 09:27 AM, TomFulp wrote:
The new voting system will be universal for all Portals (games, movies, audio, art).

That helps.

You will gain 2 XP for each vote, with a max of 10 XP daily.

Sweet.

On weekends you will be able to log up to 20 XP daily.

Yes!!!

XP is logged instantly, no more five vote minimum requirement.

That was sort of implied by the 2 XP/vote

All existing score data will be backed up but no longer used. Review scores will become the new existing score data.

Interesting.

Users can only vote once on each piece of content and can edit that vote whenever they want.

Fair enough.

The score that shows in your review is the same score as your vote, there is just one location on the page to enter you score.

Cool.

You can hide your score or submit a review without a score (many people are anti-scoring).

Like that idea.

Combined voting and reviewing box, default appearance.

Okay.

Once you write a review, it always appears above the other reviews on the page, so you can see what you wrote and edit (or delete?) if desired.

I'd say leave the deleting to the mods, but editing is good.

Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-14 18:49:46

I love it! Please don't get rid of the old school voting bar though. Find some use for it.

Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-14 19:00:24

What about giving extra XP for under judgement stuff? I mean it would encourage people to actually watch/play those submissions...

fu

Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-14 19:43:04

At 1/14/15 07:00 PM, StalkerGuy wrote: What about giving extra XP for under judgement stuff? I mean it would encourage people to actually watch/play those submissions...

I think getting the save and blam points are worth voting for the under judgement pieces, since they eventually increase your voting power.

I prefer the current model by far. There's not that many submissions I care about voting on, so if I had to suss out new submission to accrue experience I probably wouldn't bother.

Honestly, voting on a select number of movies is the only reason I come here every day. If I could only vote on a movie once I'd show up maybe twice a month to upvote one of my friends' flashes, but that's all.

E: Though I will say that gaining +2 exp. for every vote, to a maximum of 10 or 20 a day, is a good idea.

I'll Eat Your Face

BBS Signature

Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-14 21:46:17

I like it.
Fuck being able to vote multiple times on your own movies and 0 bombing.
Now you need to EXPLAIN the 0.

BBS Signature

Really excited to see a MAJOR change to Newgrounds -> Now just get rid of the level icons from the forum layout. Or at least give users the option to disable seeing all those freaking icons. DOWN WITH 'class="level-xx-g1"'~

BTW When is all this voting change happening

BBS Signature

Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-14 21:59:39

I'm definitely good with this. Time constraints. The 5 vote requirement has discouraged my vote.

Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-14 22:15:09

I'm all for it, sounds absolutely fantastic!

Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-14 23:32:35

Nothing like a shake up.
Can a 0 vote still be made?

R.I.P LIVECORPSE

Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-14 23:37:11

I'm gonna take a stab in the dark but i guess past votes and reviews don't count towards the new overhaul?
Also, heading to magfest as well; here's to less broken windows this year!

Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-14 23:41:12

I don't feel like looking back through the whole thread to see if this has been asked, but will there finally be a way to sort reviews for content? I'd like to be able to sort reviews based on score, user opinions (helpful or not helpful), and length (to sort out the actual reviews from the one-sentence "I liked this" stuff).

Check out my profile for random comments and... pretty much nothing else!

Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-15 02:24:00

Big Thumbs up.Especially that we can edit reviews

Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-15 10:00:43

I wonder how these changes will affect the all-time best lineup.

http://www.newgrounds.com/movies/browse/min_score/0#sort:score

Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-15 10:41:43

At 1/12/15 09:27 AM, TomFulp wrote: Voting System Overhaul Proposal

Please respond with feedback!

Looks good to me. I'll have bittersweet (who am I kidding, more like bland) memories of 0-bombing something, but I'm honestly glad it's going away.

Is there a plan to do anything at level 60, regarding new levels, or capping it at whatever #1 is sitting at (old style)? Giving more xp on the weekends will just hasten people through the leveling process. Not that that means anything, anymore. There are so many level 60s.

I cannot wait! But I'm a bit sad to see "WOOT!!! All my 5 R belong to this!" disappear.

Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-15 11:06:07

How are people going to get "Review Crew Pick" now? Surely that requires the votes and reviews to be counted as seperate?

You should just make "0" votes include a forced review.

Like think about what a "0" vote actually means. it literally means "this does not belong in the portal". For something to be rated that absolutely low you'd need a good, constructive reason, otherwise it's just shameless ego-bashing on artists. This would also discourage constant 0-bombing as the 0-bomber would both a.) have to write a review every time and b.) would have to make their identity known, so a person who only submits 0-votes can be easily dealt with by staff.

And yes, I am saying people should be discouraged from giving 0 ratings but not 5 ratings. Too often are 0 ratings used to discourage a certain type of content or subject matter from appearing in the portal, versus actually being a fair assessment of skill or quality ("hurr that girl has a dick, I'm gonna give it a 0 even though I gave the version with a vagina a 5 and the content is 99% identical"). Oppositely, a 5 rating is a POSITIVE way to ENCOURAGE artists to post more of a certain type of subject matter or content. Kevin Smith said it best.

Discourage an artist, you get absolutely nothing back, ever.

Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-15 11:23:35

At 1/15/15 11:08 AM, CypressDahlia wrote: You should just make "0" votes include a forced review.

Like think about what a "0" vote actually means. it literally means "this does not belong in the portal". For something to be rated that absolutely low you'd need a good, constructive reason, otherwise it's just shameless ego-bashing on artists. This would also discourage constant 0-bombing as the 0-bomber would both a.) have to write a review every time and b.) would have to make their identity known, so a person who only submits 0-votes can be easily dealt with by staff.

I like the idea of this, but I've got a feeling it won't work in practise. I think people would then resort to 1-bombing, and the blam/protect system in the movie/game portals is likely to suffer from users unwilling to leave an explanation about why something is garbage.

BBS Signature

Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-15 11:31:30

Yeah I feel what you're saying.

I just feel like if you're going to say someone's work is trash, you should be willing to explain it. 0-bombing something is a show of strong distaste or disdain for the person or their work. Metaphorical slap in the face. It should have an explanation behind it.

Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-15 11:44:22

At 1/15/15 11:31 AM, CypressDahlia wrote: I just feel like if you're going to say someone's work is trash, you should be willing to explain it. 0-bombing something is a show of strong distaste or disdain for the person or their work. Metaphorical slap in the face. It should have an explanation behind it.

Yeah, and I can get behind that idea. I think that this would work in the art or audio portals, where the vote doesn't determine whether a submissions live or dies, and scouted stuff should be unlikely to get 0 votes.

BBS Signature

Response to Voting System Overhaul Proposal 2015-01-15 11:47:55

I would prefer the system to stay the same. However, if it changes I will do my best to stay on top of the best B/Pers.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

At 1/12/15 09:27 AM, TomFulp wrote: ...
Voting System Overhaul Proposal

Please respond with feedback!

The new voting system will be universal for all Portals (games, movies, audio, art).
Let me know your thoughts on this plan!

Sounds great, no, excellent! The ability to edit a score/review would definitely be useful!

Will "old scores" be mixed with the new scores for the total average? Or how will it work?

The only thing I would suggest differently would be that the review and score are required together. This would eliminate 0-bombing, and force the user to actually have to say something with their score. If they say something very abusive, and/or 0-bomb anyway (for example, the review just says ".", or something equally unsubstantial, but the score says 0/5 or 5/5, etc.), then a moderator can be pointed in their direction and swiftly take action.

If nothing else, the ability to edit whenever you want would give much needed control to the users, take a good workload off of moderators (deletion requests) so that they have time to focus on other things, and I think that would definitely be a nice, welcome addition to the reviewing system. Especially with games that change frequently, and for reviewers that promise they will re-review the game later on if the creator makes updates.

If it causes issues with spam, then one could try adding an "edit history" to each review, so that if someone is clearly abusing the edit feature to troll/flame/etc, then action can also be taken for the abuse.

I dunno, what do you guys think of my suggestion(s)?

Hi