Respond to this Topic
AragornTheBeautiful
AragornTheBeautiful
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 13th, 2004 @ 04:55 PM Reply

Know whats funny? This rant was inspired by a thread some kid created, talking about a site that ripped off newgrounds. Everybody talked shit on that kid, but now that Tom is complaining everybody is suddenly agreeing with him...

CHAOSKILLER
CHAOSKILLER
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 13th, 2004 @ 05:33 PM Reply

okay this is what u can do if newgrounds and everything aout it had a copyright b4 this site existed u can sue them!! TAKE ALL THEIR MONEY!! AND SHUT THEIR SITE DOWN!! as an example to all other copycat portals that newgrounds was the first flash portal and should remain the only FLASH PORTAL!!!

Dark-Felony
Dark-Felony
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
G-Prime5
G-Prime5
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 13th, 2004 @ 06:37 PM Reply

There are many copy cat sites of ng, but not to worry, because this is by far the best site of this nature. Congratulations on making an awesome site that can never be duplicated. And always remember, the copy is never as good as the original.

DaShitz
DaShitz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 13th, 2004 @ 08:17 PM Reply

thats preatty much exacly so NG didnt copy the portal anything but was the first to come up with 1.

DrunkCat
DrunkCat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 13th, 2004 @ 08:22 PM Reply

"Ok, I feel the need for a history lesson right now. In general I keep my cool about sites that copy off of Newgrounds, but I realized today that kids don't even know who is copying who."
So you don't care people ripping off your "godly" work yet you care of the ignorance when they say that they didn't copy off of you but another mass flash-submitting site... Right...

"It seems plenty of users think that a "Flash Portal" is a common concept, all Flash Portals inherently look alike, and there is no way around it."
Oh wait it's not? Gee, here I was being a dumbass thinking that the concept of a "Flash Portal" was just a collection of hosted flashes from various authors to display their work and allow others to review.

"I'm sure I wasn't the first guy to host someone else's Flash work, but Newgrounds did explode as the first community of Flash authors"
I'd like to take note the first arcade game ever was a game called "Space Wars" but never really became popular. Just because something became really popular doesn't necessarily mean that it was the first. [This was the point of your rant was it not?]

"So YES, Newgrounds was the first Flash Portal."
Ah so it was.

"I don't make many bold claims"
I'd say that's a pretty bold claim.

", but I will tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt that we created the entire "Flash Portal" system that seems so common today."
First popular one maybe, yes. But you can't really state for certain it was the first ever.

"We were the first one to automate submissions, we were the first with the "three columns", we were the first with awards, we were the first with blams, saves, under judgements, and EVERY OTHER FEATURE you find on Newgrounds that is familiar on other sites. That is one thing I don't bullshit about... We have spent the past FOUR YEARS refining this system and making it what it is."
Well congratu-fuckin-lations. I can't wait till Ford starts bitching about everyone stealing their ideas for a transportation vehicle for the common people.

"Nowadays, there are a lot of copycats. This past year has seen the biggest boom of copycat sites to date. Plenty of them have nice webmasters who really are cool guys, but none of that changes anything. They know where they got their inspiration (and much more), whether they admit it or not."
I'd say it's pretty arrogant to proclaim that anyone who creates a system that allows user to submit their own flashes and others to review them had to be inspired by NG.

"Every little aspect of NG has taken a lot of thought. We put tons of thought and work into our submission form, and now other webmasters simply copy the html code, paste it into their own page, and edit the values to submit to their database instead of ours."
Wouldn't copying the html code really just copy the layout and etc.? Isn't the code that actually does all of this in php or another language?

"IT ISN'T THAT HARD TO RECREATE THE NG PORTAL"
Then stop bitching about others who appear to have yours.

", BUT CREATING IT DESERVES SOME CREDIT. I've spent countless hours brainstorming, as did Ross and as does James to this very day. We are still working on new features that require expansive planning. No doubt, a few years after their launch, they will seem simple and common as well."
La-di-da. I ask you this. So?

"I have never been a fan of copycat sites, but I've always accepted them as the reality of the world we live in. People see something they like, so they want to have their own version of it."
And of course we all know it's completely impossible for two people to have the same idea.

"That is just how people work. However, I was very disappointed by the above thread when I saw how many kids think a Flash Portal is just a Flash Portal. For years, NG was THE Flash Portal. Now it appears NG is "just another Flash Portal". That sort of thing really pisses me off, so I just had to say it."
Well boo-hoo. People don't recognize you anymore. It's the end of the world.

"You can go ahead and visit those other sites, but always know where it started. As one of the few Flash Portals that was actually started by a Flash author/enthusiast, I know the bottom line for artists is to get their work out there. Because of that, I can't simply say "don't showcase your work on those sites because it hurts my business." However, I do feel those sites cheapen everything that Newgrounds worked so hard for, and I think it is lame that fans of those sites don't even consider how they took all of our ideas and simply mirrored them for their own gain."
But of course! Again, there can be only one person ever the entire history of the human race that ever came up with this idea! How could we ever doubt you!?

"So once again, I just had to say it."
Ok, that’s great. And I just had to say this. I just wanted to point out that your entire post contained nothing but arrogance and commented on things on you said. But hey, I'm probably going to be banned for not being a follower of your great godliness who created this internet we use now.

Of course this is your site, your allowed to say what you want, be as arrogant as you want and etc. But being as I am also a user, I can be allowed to comment on it. Well, until you say "Ogm tat guy isnt 1 of miens ban11!!!".

JackPhantasm
JackPhantasm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 13th, 2004 @ 09:25 PM Reply

But Drunky, every human tends to be arrogant. Wouldn't you be arrogant if you were in his position?

mechareaper
mechareaper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 13th, 2004 @ 09:27 PM Reply

I prolly sound like an idiot but i didnt realize there were many flash portals out there, I thought Newgrounds was the only one pretty much besides some small ones. But again I dont do much of searching random websites so.

DrunkCat
DrunkCat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 13th, 2004 @ 09:28 PM Reply

At 6/13/04 09:25 PM, -Jack- wrote: But Drunky, every human tends to be arrogant. Wouldn't you be arrogant if you were in his position?

I wouldn't display the amount of arrogancy he showed in that huge post. Seriously now, I don't give a shit if anyone listens to that or not. Even if I get banned for it, so be it. The fact still is that Tom Fulp is an arrogant prick.

Infammo
Infammo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 13th, 2004 @ 09:47 PM Reply

Be nice Drnky, Tom's emotions on the subject are the same as anyone else who learned that their creation is obsolete. Well, that may be to harsh. Tom's portal is still the best but its not a special as it was before. Originally NG was put on a pedestal and held in a very high regard for its originallity and uniqueness but now its just not so unique. It sucks to have your idea ripped off so much but the concept of a flash portal just isn't was it was.

CHAOSKILLER
CHAOSKILLER
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 13th, 2004 @ 09:51 PM Reply

I TAKE BAK WAT I SAID! AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE OF THE SO CALLED COPYCAT PORTAL IT SAYS "inspired by www.newgrounds.com" SO WHAT NOW TOM HUH WHAT NOW!?

DrunkCat
DrunkCat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 13th, 2004 @ 09:52 PM Reply

At 6/13/04 09:47 PM, Infammo wrote: Be nice Drnky, Tom's emotions on the subject are the same as anyone else who learned that their creation is obsolete. Well, that may be to harsh. Tom's portal is still the best but its not a special as it was before. Originally NG was put on a pedestal and held in a very high regard for its originallity and uniqueness but now its just not so unique. It sucks to have your idea ripped off so much but the concept of a flash portal just isn't was it was.

Yes it does. But it sucks even more when people start waving around their huge head saying that they were the first in creation of things.

CHAOSKILLER
CHAOSKILLER
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 13th, 2004 @ 09:58 PM Reply

dude yo ummm all these people need 2 stop wastin time it says it gives credit 2 ng's creators at the bottom of the screen

DrunkCat
DrunkCat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 13th, 2004 @ 10:03 PM Reply

At 6/13/04 09:58 PM, CHAOSKILLER wrote: dude yo ummm all these people need 2 stop wastin time it says it gives credit 2 ng's creators at the bottom of the screen

OMFG TOM CAN'T HAVE ONLY THAT! HE MUST BE DECLARED HEIR THROWN OF FLASH PORTALS! HEIL TOM! *Raises right hand*

DrunkCat
DrunkCat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 13th, 2004 @ 10:04 PM Reply

*Double post*

If anyone is wondering, yes I was being sadastic. Refer to my bigger post above. [This is why NG should have an edit button.]

Evil-Overlord
Evil-Overlord
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 13th, 2004 @ 10:14 PM Reply

So YES, Newgrounds was the first Flash Portal.

Back at ya, bitches!!!! Newgrounds, the creator of THE Flash Portal. I swear to God, Tom Fulp is a fucking genius. What person short of a genius could invent all these cool features that are being copied over the Web?

Evil-Overlord
Evil-Overlord
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 13th, 2004 @ 10:16 PM Reply

For real man, we should like e-mail all the Webmasters of these shitbag sites and tell them to shove their copycat bullshit up their asses.

DrunkCat
DrunkCat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 13th, 2004 @ 10:17 PM Reply

At 6/13/04 10:14 PM, Evil_Overlord wrote:

So YES, Newgrounds was the first Flash Portal.
Back at ya, bitches!!!! Newgrounds, the creator of THE Flash Portal. I swear to God, Tom Fulp is a fucking genius. What person short of a genius could invent all these cool features that are being copied over the Web?

Read my bigger post above smart one.

JackPhantasm
JackPhantasm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 13th, 2004 @ 10:19 PM Reply

Evil-Overlord- What are you talking about? The Portal or "Flash Portal" wasn't an ingenious invention. It's as common an idea as the friggin pencil. A collection of files on the internet, such creativity. Automated? Isn't everything? He was just the "first." Or the first largely recognized. It was an idea waiting to happen, no smarts about it. Just shows how niave you really are.

holy-paladin
holy-paladin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 13th, 2004 @ 10:43 PM Reply

Copying....think its legal...haha lol not if there are 'rules and regulations'...Wham blam crapp

Copycat Rant

DrunkCat
DrunkCat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 13th, 2004 @ 10:44 PM Reply

At 6/13/04 10:43 PM, holy_paladin wrote: Copying....think its legal...haha lol not if there are 'rules and regulations'...Wham blam crapp

Such an insightful post...

JackPhantasm
JackPhantasm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 13th, 2004 @ 10:50 PM Reply

At 6/13/04 10:44 PM, DrunkCat wrote:
Such an insightful post...

With picture spam as well, how delightful. And copying the flash portal isn't illegal. Only copying the sight's layout is. It's like saying someone ripped off the idea for the napkin.

DrunkCat
DrunkCat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 13th, 2004 @ 10:51 PM Reply

Hm.. I got an idea. =D! And he didn't copyright the idea of the 'flash portal' so as long as noone right out steals every single piece of code from NG's portal he can't claim it's copied. =p

Speedster-sfdc
Speedster-sfdc
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 13th, 2004 @ 11:37 PM Reply

The 1st page (and possibly more) are coated with a thick layer of ass kissers. You're an arrogant bastard, Matt, I hope you break your neck licking your own testicles.

Arc22
Arc22
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 13th, 2004 @ 11:40 PM Reply

Just another Flash Portal.....Yeah RIGHT.

I have to say, Newgrounds is probably the biggest reason I stuck through with Flash because it is THE Flash Portal. I don't think I could imagine another flash site for everything that NG has and will become.

Can't let it bug you too much, people do want their own version of anything they like. But the people, and the artists themselves will know what is what, because nowhere can give you the kind of help and drive as NG.

Aljade
Aljade
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 14th, 2004 @ 12:23 AM Reply

At 6/13/04 11:37 PM, Speedster_sfdc wrote: The 1st page (and possibly more) are coated with a thick layer of ass kissers. You're an arrogant bastard, Matt, I hope you break your neck licking your own testicles.

Damn, nice! But who is Matt?

JackPhantasm
JackPhantasm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 14th, 2004 @ 12:30 AM Reply

Speedster is delusional.

Aljade
Aljade
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 14th, 2004 @ 01:46 AM Reply

At 6/9/04 01:28 PM, -snare- wrote: Tom dont worry, newgrounds is the best site there ever was, no one will have the genious programming of this site, the flash portal is also copyrighted, so you may possibly be allowed to sue,and all people on Newgrounds shall be your all important army of witnesses!!!Go NG

Then what do you call that??

That is no doubt ass kissing!

Mike27112
Mike27112
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 14th, 2004 @ 02:45 AM Reply

damn straight, tom.

i've been following ng for years, back before the portal was automated, back before there was a top users list, back before the site was in yellow.

ng has been a trailblazer in its field, and it deserves credit for that.

Solidsnake503
Solidsnake503
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 14th, 2004 @ 04:42 AM Reply

At 6/9/04 01:21 PM, TomFulp wrote: Ok, I feel the need for a history lesson right now. In general I keep my cool about sites that copy off of Newgrounds, but I realized today that kids don't even know who is copying who.

Thats easy most of us know whos copying who...duh...copying you (Or the newgrounds staff either way) they basically try to get their site as popular as your site so in other words they take the html code, post it on their site, take credit 1,2,3 if they make a flash portal the LEAST THING THEY CAN DO IS GIVE NEWGROUNDS CREDIT!!!!! ok im finished...happy thoughts....