00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Yevs just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Copycat Rant

72,382 Views | 431 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-13 21:58:41

dude yo ummm all these people need 2 stop wastin time it says it gives credit 2 ng's creators at the bottom of the screen

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-13 22:03:01

At 6/13/04 09:58 PM, CHAOSKILLER wrote: dude yo ummm all these people need 2 stop wastin time it says it gives credit 2 ng's creators at the bottom of the screen

OMFG TOM CAN'T HAVE ONLY THAT! HE MUST BE DECLARED HEIR THROWN OF FLASH PORTALS! HEIL TOM! *Raises right hand*

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-13 22:04:05

*Double post*

If anyone is wondering, yes I was being sadastic. Refer to my bigger post above. [This is why NG should have an edit button.]

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-13 22:14:19

So YES, Newgrounds was the first Flash Portal.

Back at ya, bitches!!!! Newgrounds, the creator of THE Flash Portal. I swear to God, Tom Fulp is a fucking genius. What person short of a genius could invent all these cool features that are being copied over the Web?

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-13 22:16:28

For real man, we should like e-mail all the Webmasters of these shitbag sites and tell them to shove their copycat bullshit up their asses.

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-13 22:17:04

At 6/13/04 10:14 PM, Evil_Overlord wrote:

So YES, Newgrounds was the first Flash Portal.
Back at ya, bitches!!!! Newgrounds, the creator of THE Flash Portal. I swear to God, Tom Fulp is a fucking genius. What person short of a genius could invent all these cool features that are being copied over the Web?

Read my bigger post above smart one.

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-13 22:19:50

Evil-Overlord- What are you talking about? The Portal or "Flash Portal" wasn't an ingenious invention. It's as common an idea as the friggin pencil. A collection of files on the internet, such creativity. Automated? Isn't everything? He was just the "first." Or the first largely recognized. It was an idea waiting to happen, no smarts about it. Just shows how niave you really are.

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-13 22:43:05

Copying....think its legal...haha lol not if there are 'rules and regulations'...Wham blam crapp

Copycat Rant

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-13 22:44:24

At 6/13/04 10:43 PM, holy_paladin wrote: Copying....think its legal...haha lol not if there are 'rules and regulations'...Wham blam crapp

Such an insightful post...

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-13 22:50:07

At 6/13/04 10:44 PM, DrunkCat wrote:
Such an insightful post...

With picture spam as well, how delightful. And copying the flash portal isn't illegal. Only copying the sight's layout is. It's like saying someone ripped off the idea for the napkin.

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-13 22:51:50

Hm.. I got an idea. =D! And he didn't copyright the idea of the 'flash portal' so as long as noone right out steals every single piece of code from NG's portal he can't claim it's copied. =p

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-13 23:37:21

The 1st page (and possibly more) are coated with a thick layer of ass kissers. You're an arrogant bastard, Matt, I hope you break your neck licking your own testicles.

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-13 23:40:25

Just another Flash Portal.....Yeah RIGHT.

I have to say, Newgrounds is probably the biggest reason I stuck through with Flash because it is THE Flash Portal. I don't think I could imagine another flash site for everything that NG has and will become.

Can't let it bug you too much, people do want their own version of anything they like. But the people, and the artists themselves will know what is what, because nowhere can give you the kind of help and drive as NG.

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-14 00:23:04

At 6/13/04 11:37 PM, Speedster_sfdc wrote: The 1st page (and possibly more) are coated with a thick layer of ass kissers. You're an arrogant bastard, Matt, I hope you break your neck licking your own testicles.

Damn, nice! But who is Matt?

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-14 00:30:58

Speedster is delusional.

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-14 01:46:48

At 6/9/04 01:28 PM, -snare- wrote: Tom dont worry, newgrounds is the best site there ever was, no one will have the genious programming of this site, the flash portal is also copyrighted, so you may possibly be allowed to sue,and all people on Newgrounds shall be your all important army of witnesses!!!Go NG

Then what do you call that??

That is no doubt ass kissing!

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-14 02:45:50

damn straight, tom.

i've been following ng for years, back before the portal was automated, back before there was a top users list, back before the site was in yellow.

ng has been a trailblazer in its field, and it deserves credit for that.

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-14 04:42:14

At 6/9/04 01:21 PM, TomFulp wrote: Ok, I feel the need for a history lesson right now. In general I keep my cool about sites that copy off of Newgrounds, but I realized today that kids don't even know who is copying who.

Thats easy most of us know whos copying who...duh...copying you (Or the newgrounds staff either way) they basically try to get their site as popular as your site so in other words they take the html code, post it on their site, take credit 1,2,3 if they make a flash portal the LEAST THING THEY CAN DO IS GIVE NEWGROUNDS CREDIT!!!!! ok im finished...happy thoughts....

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-14 04:48:11

I love the fucking fact that every one of you overlooked my previous post in another page.

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-14 05:20:03

Post it again Drunky. Let them hear a voice of reason that differs from most of the even level-headed users on this site. : )

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-14 07:13:06

I already have given them credit a long time ago.

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-14 08:51:56

Newgrounds is the thing anyways. There are no other portals with such a massive library and especially such high-quality library. I wont betray NG ever!

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-14 14:31:58

No Doubt About It. Congrat. Tom!

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-14 15:25:03

Tom--

Bravo!! You have educated me and I appreciate this site and its creators even more. I love newgrounds....love seeing all the craziness people create and how much variety there is in the world. You have created the means to which tomorrows animators and game designers can show their work and be seen...in an otherwise tough business to get your work out there you have made a window through which the world can laugh, cry, or be utterly disgusted. Thanks to you and those behind you(not a gay joke).
Saihung

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-14 18:25:25

Fair play to u sir, i agree, you are turly wise

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-14 18:28:46

At 6/9/04 01:21 PM, TomFulp wrote: Ok, I feel the need for a history lesson right now. In general I keep my cool about sites that copy off of Newgrounds, but I realized today that kids don't even know who is copying who. It seems plenty of users think that a "Flash Portal" is a common concept, all Flash Portals inherently look alike, and there is no way around it.

My rant was inspired by this thread.

Now for the history. I started the Newgrounds website in 1995. It became popular in 1996 due to my html (later, javascript) games such as Club a Seal and Assassin. I was just finishing high school at the time.

In 1998, I started working with Flash. Back then, there were only a few notable Flash sites. Each site generally showcased the work of one person - the webmaster of the site. Newgrounds was my personal showcase.

In 2000 I created "The Portal" to showcase the Flash I made that wasn't big enough to be a "Newgrounds Feature". Fans started submitting their own Flash, so I showcased it in The Portal. I'm sure I wasn't the first guy to host someone else's Flash work, but Newgrounds did explode as the first community of Flash authors. I was receiving so many submissions via email that I worked with my friend Ross (an amazing coder) to build an automated version of "The Portal" (now referred to as the Flash Portal due to the existence of the Audio Portal) that same year.

So YES, Newgrounds was the first Flash Portal. I don't make many bold claims, but I will tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt that we created the entire "Flash Portal" system that seems so common today. We were the first one to automate submissions, we were the first with the "three columns", we were the first with awards, we were the first with blams, saves, under judgements, and EVERY OTHER FEATURE you find on Newgrounds that is familiar on other sites. That is one thing I don't bullshit about... We have spent the past FOUR YEARS refining this system and making it what it is.

Nowadays, there are a lot of copycats. This past year has seen the biggest boom of copycat sites to date. Plenty of them have nice webmasters who really are cool guys, but none of that changes anything. They know where they got their inspiration (and much more), whether they admit it or not.

Every little aspect of NG has taken a lot of thought. We put tons of thought and work into our submission form, and now other webmasters simply copy the html code, paste it into their own page, and edit the values to submit to their database instead of ours. IT ISN'T THAT HARD TO RECREATE THE NG PORTAL, BUT CREATING IT DESERVES SOME CREDIT. I've spent countless hours brainstorming, as did Ross and as does James to this very day. We are still working on new features that require expansive planning. No doubt, a few years after their launch, they will seem simple and common as well.

Tom Im not sure about all this But maybe if you sue those who are copieing this site you made you could Put a stop to those who are useing your site for thier useless Ideas if you have NG.com copyrighted then you can bust em for Breaking the law for copyright infrenchment.
everyone knows breaking the Copyright law is a Big No No and if the people are found Guilty of that spacific crime they have broken such as online copyrighting a protected site they can face up to a maximum of 2 years in jail and up to $12.000 Fine Half that money goes to you TOM hehehe (just share with wade he helps you out in NG also Guy LOL ) Thats all I knoew and tell ya LOL

Copycat Rant

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-14 19:25:56

wow,fucking right man....it's true,you guys spend so much effort and time into this website where you get barely anything out of and other website have to go around taking your ideas liek it's ok.....Mr Fulp....I have to say,you made a damn good website....I am a huge fan and you should be DAMN PROUD that you have so many fans,many may not appreciate it,but you know you are the creator and lord of flash,I know it,100s of other people know it...even the people who stole the Flash Idea know it....I say Fuck them........I've been to other sites that have the "Portal" and "submition from users" and never really thought about who created it...you did,I appreciate all your hard work you put into this........and I DEFINATLY thank you for staying loyal to your fans and being fair NOT making us pay to get in the site like alot of these CopyCat Bastards

*bows down to the Lord of Flash*

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-14 20:58:15

You are all a bunch of dumbasses. *Sighs*

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-14 21:54:02

I don't think it's as much about being copied as it is about being copied and not getting credit for inspiring the copy. I know that's what I'd angry about. If there were something out there that closely aped my work and was a blatant rip-off, I'd at least appriciate a nod for providing its inspiration.

Though when it comes down to it, I'd be flattered that someone found my work interesting enough to imitate it, rather then getting too pissed off about it, so meh.

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-14 23:30:37

You couldn't be more right Tom. I've been away a while, but during the time I spent on NG, it was always changing and improving. Now that Ive come back to visit my old favorite, I am amazed at the evolution of the site. Everything is beautiful. Damn, even the background Im typing on is impressive. And I KNOW everything about this place came from you, your brother, and your talented associates.
In my book, there IS only one source for flash nirvana. And it's here. Ive said it before, and I'll say it again: Newgrounds is the best thing on the internet.
Keep up the hard work, and I hope that it brings you everying you desire. I am a permanent fan, as I expect many others are. Anybody that thinks other sites are backed by talent and dedication that even APPROACHES that of NG is a damned fool, and deserves to waste their time on 2nd and 3rd-best sites.

Dammit. Now IM pissed.
Peace.