Respond to this Topic
kenohki
kenohki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 17th, 2004 @ 06:23 PM Reply

I have somewhat different thoughts on this issue. In my opinion, the Internet is and should be a heterogeneous environment. I am a relatively new member of Newgrounds.Com even though I have contributed only reviews recently. I have enjoyed Newgrounds and the excellent artists who contribute their work. However, for a good while I was unable to access Newgroundds AT ALL. This was simply due to the lame Internet connection I've had since only a few weeks ago. It was dialup and considerably slower than even 56k. Not only did the site take long to load: I couldn't even view movies or games.

If there was an alternative portal that could have been loaded even on my original connection or if this site, original and great as it is, got shut down, would I consider to use it? Of course, so I could have the opportunity to continue viewing other's work and possibley submit my own.

I do not think the portal concept should be patented or the site's source code even copyrighted. I simply think that there should always be alternatives to the mainstream. Yes, Newgrounds is the original: that can't change. However, there could be opportunities to extend Newgrounds's portal idea further and provide alternative pathways to share your artwork with others. Heterogeneity is good: provide competing Flash portals so the artists who call prefer their own "home" portal can have friendly competitions with other artists to improve their work! Have Flash portals compete with one another and strive to make their work constantly better (not that Newgrounds, of course, doesn't do that already =)). I disagree with ripping off people's work, especially for making a profit; but sites like Flipsided seem to merely need to start somewhere, even if it means borrowing others' ideas for a time.

Sites, like Newgrounds, evolve. Give Flipsided some time, and Flash artists may have another community where they can compete and make acquaintance with other artists other than those they are familiar with here! What we may see isn't mere copycatting but the possible start of an even larger Flash community overall.

Solidsnake503
Solidsnake503
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 19th, 2004 @ 08:39 AM Reply

NG Forever!! (I Just Had To Say It I Forgot It In My Other Post)

Note To Others: Wade And Tom Are Not "Sirs" They Are...Wade And Tom So Dont Call Them Sir I Bet Ya I Gets Them Really Annoyed Sometimes....

spyro-boy
spyro-boy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 19th, 2004 @ 09:29 AM Reply

Yeah i know what you mean. But i don't blame them either for doing it because NewGrounds' system is legendary. I to am working a flash site thats Called FlashGrounds (sorry it sounds good, if you can think a better one for me I will use it) and it's all created in flash and having a os style to it, its pretty kool.
your truely
Dario Russo aka Dr_Flash-DJUZI

BakedPotatofish
BakedPotatofish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 19th, 2004 @ 09:06 PM Reply

i would never see any other flash portal as anything other than a ripoff of Newgrounds.

it's the only place i'll ever showcase my flash. it's the only site i'd ever choose to give someone who wants to show his/her work.

it's one of the few sites i visit regularly, and the best i've ever been to for people to express themselves.

for that, it deserves more credit than any other site on the internet.

the fact that it's the first and the best makes it all the better.

long live Newgrounds.

vegetable411
vegetable411
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 21st, 2004 @ 08:52 AM Reply

Jesus, flipsidedcom, come up with your own ideas, not rip them off someone else. You say you "borrowed" script. BULLSHIT. More like copied and stolen, I mean, fuck, you even have the same scoring system and points! And the worst thing is, you didn't put that measly little "Inspired by Newgrounds.com" down the bottom of the page until people started to kick up about it! You probably weren't even going to put it up at all if noone said anything about it. It's people like you that make great sites fade away into the croud. Come up with your own goddamn ideas, that's what made NG and albinoblacksheep so great. Asshole.

MapleLeafDude
MapleLeafDude
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 21st, 2004 @ 03:26 PM Reply

Yeah I like newgrounds better than any other of those kinds of sites because of the experience system.Does anyone else agree?I mean it's like and RPG without the graphics and hours of playing and puzzle solving.

dubieloko
dubieloko
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 21st, 2004 @ 04:11 PM Reply

you know what i all most sick of all of the winning i think it is bull*@#$

Jazz1025
Jazz1025
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 22nd, 2004 @ 01:33 PM Reply

Wow- up until I read this, I didn't know any other portals existed.
But that doesn't change anything- I love this site and it's the only one I'll ever go to. I tip my hat to everyone that helped make this site so great... AWESOME JOB!
That flipsided one is an obvious rip off of ng.

Copycat Rant

BigFoot
BigFoot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 22nd, 2004 @ 02:33 PM Reply

i hate the other sites

newgrounds rule man!
:)

Copycat Rant

pvtjackson23
pvtjackson23
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 22nd, 2004 @ 10:02 PM Reply

i believe in u man. ur d 1st flash portal site and i salute u 4 dat. RoK on!!!!

ruFffiYnoitcAtoH
ruFffiYnoitcAtoH
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 23rd, 2004 @ 11:04 AM Reply

hey i say i'm a girl and i want to be fuck....i want people to fuck me but they better be,hot,cute,ora hot cock....;)

Bambino
Bambino
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 23rd, 2004 @ 11:17 AM Reply

Bravo.

pure-ice-fire
pure-ice-fire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 24th, 2004 @ 12:29 AM Reply

Newgrounds is now, and forever will be THE FLASH PORTAL!

The other ones suck anyways.

BLAM-SLAM
BLAM-SLAM
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 24th, 2004 @ 01:16 AM Reply

yeah don't get me wrong i like newgrounds but...
People shouldn't be flaming every other copycat. ooh he made it exactly like NG! he's an asshole. god i haven't been on many sites but lots of them are made by 16 year olds. plus they are just a kids thing. A exact copy fanboy site. not a site trying to make a million.

<deleted>
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 24th, 2004 @ 06:11 AM Reply

Amen!

-The Sinister One

tinyflea
tinyflea
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 24th, 2004 @ 09:33 AM Reply

I only came across NG about 4 months ago, even though I've been making flash toons and games for over 4 years. Nothing touches it as far as I'm concerned for getting my work seen and getting feedback. I've been totally inspired by the simple fact that when I now make a game or Toon, I immediatley have a ready and waiting audience. NG is simply the best gig in town.

On the down side, the audience is "of a particular type" and if I knew of other portals which had a differnet audience I'd be happy to show my work there too.

People will always steal your ideas, that's why you have to come up with more...

EviLudy
EviLudy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 24th, 2004 @ 09:56 AM Reply

Should i quit doing DeathVirus a favour and don't program for lavagarden.com anymore?

Swing a Little more!
.. ROCK OUT!

BBS Signature
SimonB
SimonB
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 24th, 2004 @ 04:09 PM Reply

Recently I checked Flipsided.com for any news or anything and luckily their was...my friend (Not VideogameHeaven) but Phill Colins had taken over Flipsided (Deleted everything in the portal) this is an extract he said to me;
'I hate those mother fuckers let them suffer with no Portal...it serves them right to copy Newgrounds!'
Well he is going to delete anything that goes onto Flipsided now and I don't know what their going to do I hope this information has been interesting to some and to check the portal by clicking here ---------> Flipsided Portal

flipsidedcom
flipsidedcom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 24th, 2004 @ 08:31 PM Reply

Your friend did a pretty bad job of it aswell. It is all fixed up now.

flipsidedcom
flipsidedcom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 24th, 2004 @ 08:35 PM Reply

Also if you scroll up through the posts, everyone has under 5 posts. It may be just a coincidence though.

Tamerlane
Tamerlane
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 30th, 2004 @ 08:00 AM Reply

Guys!Ignore them!By putting links to NG on every page,FS is burning itself up!Newbs who go to flipside think,"Hey this site is pretty cool," then they see the link to newgrounds.When they click on it,they're like,"Whoa!This site is way better!" and NG constantly keeps getting new members like this!Although the adult ads don't help our image very much...

imz
imz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jul. 12th, 2004 @ 01:14 PM Reply

Ha! Like anything could even match NG... you've only got to look at it to know it is the one and only, original Flash portal.

flipsidedcom
flipsidedcom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jul. 12th, 2004 @ 01:57 PM Reply

At 6/30/04 08:00 AM, Tamerlane wrote: Guys!Ignore them!By putting links to NG on every page,FS is burning itself up!Newbs who go to flipside think,"Hey this site is pretty cool," then they see the link to newgrounds.When they click on it,they're like,"Whoa!This site is way better!"

If you think that way, why di you sign yourself up on our website?

Tamerlane
Tamerlane
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jul. 13th, 2004 @ 05:03 AM Reply

If you think that way, why di you sign yourself up on our website?

Check my second post,if you can.Flipsided seems to have crashed again.

Tamerlane
Tamerlane
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jul. 13th, 2004 @ 05:41 AM Reply

Excuse me -- third post

davaca
davaca
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Aug. 30th, 2004 @ 01:44 PM Reply

I never came across another 'portal'. On the other hand, I neer really searched for one, I saw newgrounds first and I see/saw no reason to go to another site. it's a shame that such copy's exist, but I don't think that it makes newgrounds look less good.

ceci n'est pas un blog.
(get it? It's a link to a blog.)

GUTHRIE
GUTHRIE
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Game Developer
Response to Copycat Rant Oct. 23rd, 2004 @ 11:49 AM Reply

At 6/23/04 11:04 AM, sexy wrote: hey i say i'm a girl and i want to be fuck....i want people to fuck me but they better be,hot,cute,ora hot cock....;)

omgo hot i get some.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Email _ Xfire _ Steam _ facebook _ last.fm _ PSN _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ GUTHRIE

BBS Signature
Einsidler
Einsidler
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jan. 14th, 2006 @ 01:25 AM Reply

In my opinion if you get your flash blammed on newgrounds, submit it to one of these copycat sites. That way your flash stil gets to be seen by people, and the standards of the copycat sites become way lower than the high standards here at newgrounds... therefore ensuring that newgrounds remains the best darn flash portal on the internet.

MY HAT IS AWESOME!

Chewbacca1010
Chewbacca1010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Feb. 6th, 2006 @ 06:41 PM Reply

At 6/11/04 01:21 AM, Hinotori wrote: it's also a case of LOST profits.

Welcome to the competative buisness world.

shane-gadsby
shane-gadsby
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Feb. 16th, 2006 @ 09:22 PM Reply

Cmon guy be cool and CLICK HERE