Be a Supporter!

Copycat Rant

  • 54,523 Views
  • 448 Replies
Respond to this Topic
<deleted>
Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 15:44:53 Reply

As long as there is an internet and there are fans that have a slightly tweaked sense of humor, there will always be a newgrounds.com. Maybe you'll have to revamp the site by adding more features or something but that means it can only get better. Tom Fulp, you are a revolutionary and should be commended for doing such a work as NG. If it wasn't NG there wouldn't be many of these sites with Flash. NG mainstreamed the whole Flash craze. And you shouldn't worry about copycats because you have many dedicated fans that will back you up, and I'm one of them.

JeremyLokken
JeremyLokken
  • Member since: Dec. 16, 1999
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 23
Animator
Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 15:46:59 Reply

I remember my submissions before the portal even had 100 cartoons to showcase. My toons were rather crude with the peewee and the levar burton.


Rainbow Animations <-- for my website.

Sir-Davey
Sir-Davey
  • Member since: Jul. 9, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 15:48:39 Reply

I feel aimed for some strange,strange reason.
(www.locklegion.com)


BBS Signature
Bickster
Bickster
  • Member since: Sep. 16, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 15:51:06 Reply

At 6/9/04 03:38 PM, Father_Time wrote: I know this site called cluedofan.com that has a banner thingy around every page so whenever you try to look at the code for any page you get the code for the banner (believe me I've tried it)

Right Click -> View Source

You DO see the banner code, but scroll down, it's all there.

Did you Click View -> Source, because that will just show the frameset HTML page.

If you really wanted to block people from stealing stuff (not completely possible), you'd first need to put in a script that blocks people from right clicking. That stops them from savings images and such and also from viewing the source from the Right Click options. To block them from viewing the source via the toolbar, you'll need to either use a server side script (such as perl) so that they don't see anything relevant when they view the source, or have a script that takes off the toolbar for your entire webpage. After that, you'd need to block cacheing of items to the Temporary Internet Files. Then after that, you'd need to use a script that constantly displays a message in the bottom message bar of Internet Explorer, that way, they can't hover over a link and then just enter that address into the address bar. You'd also need to give irrelevant File Names to everything, so people can't type those into the address bar.

Sounds fun eh?

CommunistLock
CommunistLock
  • Member since: Oct. 7, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 15:51:07 Reply

Yeah, but you aren't profiting out of Lock Legion.

Lucas-1
Lucas-1
  • Member since: Sep. 1, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 15:53:18 Reply

At 6/9/04 03:26 PM, OVlez wrote: I'm not too clear on the term 'copyright', but what do these people who host these copycat websites think about when they see this?:

Well said. I'm a big fan of Newgrounds and someday not very soon, I will try to submit something.

I do agree, with this rant, but I honestly think Newgrounds should be more agressive and enforce these copycat morons for breach of copyright. I don't mean, deleting every other similar site, since that would be just impossible nowadays, but the ones who gone a step too far such as this one and anything similar:

http://www.flipsided.com/portal/

However, If you created a site yourself, programmed yourself, and knows the remarkable similarity to Newgrounds and admit you took the inspiration from NG, as well as admiting where you took the flashes from ( most likely NG again ) then I don't mind it.

Otherwise, you better have a damn good reason ( unlikely )

CommunistLock
CommunistLock
  • Member since: Oct. 7, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 15:55:42 Reply

At 6/9/04 03:53 PM, LNF wrote:

However, If you created a site yourself, programmed yourself, and knows the remarkable similarity to Newgrounds and admit you took the inspiration from NG, as well as admiting where you took the flashes from ( most likely NG again ) then I don't mind it.

The Lock Portal was programmed by Trash and only has our movies on it, so it is above board :)

StatiK
StatiK
  • Member since: May. 28, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 15:57:51 Reply

If you had gotten a copyright/patent or something for the flash portal idea in the beginning, maybe we wouldn't have all these banners because you'd be pulling in money from these copycat sites.

Steve84
Steve84
  • Member since: Mar. 25, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 42
Gamer
Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 15:58:36 Reply

I hate people who copy other people's site ideas NG will always be the number on flash site for me Tom and I love being a part of it

Sir-Davey
Sir-Davey
  • Member since: Jul. 9, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 15:59:06 Reply

At 6/9/04 03:58 PM, SteveZarebski wrote: I hate people who copy other people's site ideas NG will always be the number on flash site for me Tom and I love being a part of it

Stop sucking up :P


BBS Signature
BOREDJOE
BOREDJOE
  • Member since: Aug. 15, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 16:00:57 Reply

i am very sorry to say this...

I VISIT COPYCAT SITES! NG is blocked by my schools filter, so i have to go to copycat sites :(

however i do go on NG when i get home, and i have read the entire history of ng and all that other bakground stuff (interesting read to pass time while ur bored), and always knew NG was the first site to have a portal, it is still the best :P but if filter was sorted im sure ur visitor numbers would be much higher lol

EviLDoG
EviLDoG
  • Member since: Oct. 18, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 16:02:01 Reply

And then people who invented art portals would say newgrounds is in breach of their copyrights and claim newgrounds to be copycats?

seanjames
seanjames
  • Member since: Apr. 1, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 37
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 16:04:27 Reply

I've never visited another Flash Portal site, nor do I care to. And I can't imagine why any NG user would even bother looking elsewhere. Without having seen them, I'm willing to be that even though they're copied from NG, they aren't nearly as good. Plus, your core members at NG know that NG actually cares about its users, not just about making money, which is another thing that I bet the copycats fall short of. I can understand your frustration Tom, I really can, but think about this...........

Do you think those sites have the same loyal fanbase that you guys do? They may have the look and functionality, but that doesn't mean they've succeeded in copying the community, spirit, or intentions of NG.

There's a lot of us who are here to stay and who will ONLY post to NG (with exception to my online portfolio).

Many of us have said it before and I'll say it again, we appreciate all you've done for the Flash animators community and we'll do our best to support NG long-term.


BBS Signature
Lucas-1
Lucas-1
  • Member since: Sep. 1, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 16:06:03 Reply

At 6/9/04 03:48 PM, F-13_TrashLock wrote: I feel aimed for some strange,strange reason.
(www.locklegion.com)

I do understand the reason for you comment. I honestly think your flash portal does look a bit different, but then again, so does your site. Not that original, just a bit different. Through you are a copycat, you did limited your portal and didn't go too far unlike most of the flash hosting scum that steals stuff and say "these are OUR games"

JeremyLokken
JeremyLokken
  • Member since: Dec. 16, 1999
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 23
Animator
Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 16:08:40 Reply

At 6/9/04 02:49 PM, Crimson_Edge wrote:
At 6/9/04 02:47 PM, Maus wrote: Aye. I'll be chatting with someone, and they say "ooh, look at this!" and link some ABS or ebaums shite. I alway always always gently steer them to here, and the portal entry.
Ebaums is a different kind of site were you can find "funny" things. Flash just happens to be one of them. Just because one site has the same thing that another has doesn't mean that it is copying.

Sure, Ebaums has taken alot of stuff that was originaly on NG, but they usually don't take it unless it is ALL over the web.

I hate those sites, always feeding on the creative ideas of others, and fucking getting paid thru advertising. Those sites probably made more money off my stuff than I have. Black Albino does the same thing. I don't go to them. Thanks for telling me about Ebaum.


Rainbow Animations <-- for my website.

Lucas-1
Lucas-1
  • Member since: Sep. 1, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 16:09:15 Reply

At 6/9/04 03:55 PM, CommunistLock wrote:
The Lock Portal was programmed by Trash and only has our movies on it, so it is above board :)

Sorry, I didn't knew that. Yet that thought did go through my mind.

ayegowj
ayegowj
  • Member since: Mar. 23, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 50
Artist
Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 16:09:40 Reply

Heh, just read this on Flipsided:

Our Story:
A highschool teenager, named Jesse Taylor, was bored one day, mainly because the weather was crappy, and he could not skateboard nor snowboard. Just that time of the month I guess. Well anyways due to his lack of entertainment, he decided he would bring the entertainment to him. He thought that an entertainment website would do the job, so he just simply made one, at first it really blowed, but then with his 'motivation' he decided to keep working on it, mainly because he was doing it to put smiles on the visitors faces. After that moment, he got all excited and worked on it some more, and some more, and that it how it got to be a website like it is today.

I guess that "motivation" was Newgrounds, yes?

smosh
smosh
  • Member since: May. 4, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 16:10:27 Reply

Don't worry Tom, everyone knows you made it first! Yours is also the best and always will be. Your portal isnt just "another flash portal", it still is THE flash portal. I totally give newgrounds credit for the flash portal idea, which my site also has. We took your idea, but I just wanted a small flash submission area on my site. My site was one of the first to mimic your flash portal, but as you can see, it still is NOTHING compared to the newgrounds flash portal and never will be.

http://www.smosh.com/gateway.php the link to the flash portal I made, if you want to laugh at how horrible it is. Newgrounds will always be the dominating leader of flash portals. So don't sweat it.

Bickster
Bickster
  • Member since: Sep. 16, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 16:14:59 Reply

At 6/9/04 04:10 PM, smoshdotcom wrote:

We took your idea, but I just wanted a small flash submission area on my site. My site was one of the first to mimic your flash portal

You say you give credit, do you mean just saying it when people bring it up? Why not be at least a little more fair and put a credit on each page that mimics newgrounds?

smosh
smosh
  • Member since: May. 4, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 16:20:16 Reply

I will do that next chance I get! thanks.

Lucas-1
Lucas-1
  • Member since: Sep. 1, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 16:44:23 Reply

At 6/9/04 04:10 PM, smoshdotcom wrote:
http://www.smosh.com/gateway.php the link to the flash portal I made, if you want to laugh at how horrible it is. Newgrounds will always be the dominating leader of flash portals. So don't sweat it.

Hey, your flash portal IS actually quite crappy, and changing the name to flash "gateway" doesn't make me fell any different, but your site looks awesome man and you do admit NG superiority, your one of the good guys.

smosh
smosh
  • Member since: May. 4, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 16:48:02 Reply

I have added newgrounds.com to the "flash portal" pages on my site.

I also wanted to mention that you said "and now other webmasters simply copy the html code, paste it into their own page, and edit the values to submit to their database instead of ours." which is TOTALLY NOT TRUE. Correct me if I am wrong, but there is NO way to steal the code and just change the values to submit to another database. I spent 2 weeks coding my portal to look like yours and I'm sure the other sites did too. You can't just steal the PHP code because it is hidden when displayed on a site.

n0ir
n0ir
  • Member since: Nov. 7, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 16:52:47 Reply

I agree Tom. Is there some way to block people from viewing the html codes though?


BBS Signature
JeremyLokken
JeremyLokken
  • Member since: Dec. 16, 1999
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 23
Animator
Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 16:56:26 Reply

Speaking of Copycat:

http://www.monkeysugar.com/flash/flash3.html
http://www.monkeysugar.com/flash/flash1.html


Rainbow Animations <-- for my website.

IamBetterThanYou
IamBetterThanYou
  • Member since: Oct. 30, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 16:56:48 Reply

At 6/9/04 04:52 PM, -noir- wrote: I agree Tom. Is there some way to block people from viewing the html codes though?

that wouldn't affect anything because the php file is not shown in the HTML source. at least not to my knowledge of these things.

Bickster
Bickster
  • Member since: Sep. 16, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 16:58:22 Reply

At 6/9/04 03:51 PM, Bickster wrote: If you really wanted to block people from stealing stuff...

I already went over how to block, -noir-

provoko
provoko
  • Member since: Jul. 24, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 17:19:41 Reply

At 6/9/04 01:21 PM, TomFulp wrote:
My rant was inspired by this thread.

That site is a complete ripoff. Word by word too.

SuperWatchman
SuperWatchman
  • Member since: Nov. 10, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 17:21:13 Reply

It's kind of sad in a way that artist actually submit their work to these ripoff sites, such as stickslaughter.com. They're reaching a community of about 500 people, 20 or so of which will actually be on at a given time. They believe these sites to be "original" and "a cool idea," but wish their work would reach more people. Oh well.

nazibomb
nazibomb
  • Member since: Oct. 19, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 17:27:17 Reply

i would never go to another flash community website.

this is the first, the best, and if i'm going to contribute in any way, it's going to be to this place.

i see other flash portals as kind of a 'you can't get your shit onto newgrounds, so come submit here' type of thing.


.

BBS Signature
KyleRoberts
KyleRoberts
  • Member since: Feb. 19, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 45
Programmer
Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 17:30:12 Reply

At 6/9/04 04:56 PM, alienature wrote: Speaking of Copycat:

http://www.monkeysugar.com/flash/flash3.html
http://www.monkeysugar.com/flash/flash1.html

On monkeysugar, The Flash featuring Nene is definitely stolen, is it not? Are there certain Flash file rippers out there that can yank a Flash movie off of a page and save it on the hard drive?

Surely, Tom wouldn't approve of any of his work being featured on another site. Why would he? Even though he's not making any money off of that particular Flash, he could still sue, couldn't he?