Respond to this Topic
SniperWolf1564
SniperWolf1564
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Gamer
Response to Copycat Rant 2006-05-07 19:47:43 Reply

I know you hate copycats. I hate them too. It's even more of a low blow to copy the html code of the automated flash portal in two seconds when it took you guys [Newgrounds] countless hours, days, possibly months.

Want to play something or just chat? Click here. For all the daily shit that happens in my life, click here. Achievement Whore Status: 47th place as of 05/18/09

BBS Signature
NickScott
NickScott
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Melancholy
Response to Copycat Rant 2006-05-14 12:52:49 Reply

Yeah... I've seen them all. It's kind of sad.
Flash Portal Dot Com -Not even other pages to categorize the flashes. They even copyrighted the portal o.O

TxMafia -They have a bootleg portal with a slogan reading: "We make stealing fun!" They actually link to MindChamber but not NG.
enPop -Actually i dont really know if this is a portal but it looks like it.

Theres a lot more but im too lazy to post them. (or i just plain fergot their names.)

[ Soundcloud | HarryJarry.com | Last.fm | Kongregate | Real life? none]

BBS Signature
Bosor
Bosor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant 2006-05-14 14:56:21 Reply

ohh

Crag
Crag
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant 2006-05-15 00:00:10 Reply

Newgrounds will be the best forever!!

Awesome post great job!

Frenzy
Frenzy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant 2006-05-20 18:02:59 Reply

I hope I can make a site as good as Newgrounds one day... (and no, I probably won't copy it!)

HarraH
HarraH
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant 2006-06-12 06:45:14 Reply

this thread needs a bump

Will
Will
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant 2006-06-24 13:15:16 Reply

wdf? retrogade basically copied everysing piece of newgrounds and changed the colour and made it "photoshop". i would be pretty pissed off with them.

BBS Signature
civIII
civIII
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant 2006-10-26 05:31:30 Reply

it is intersetin g to note the number of copycraps, i mean cats, out there. There has to be thousands of people who thought this was a cool idea and copied it. Now dont get me wrong, i was coming to this site long before i was a member, i mean, i was coming to this site since '97 and in the almost tens years since then this site is by far the best website i have seen that is not created by a major corperation. I would be so bold to say that this site in my opinion is seconded by only the BBC's news website.
Im apart of a few forum in other hobbies like warhammer 40k (yes, i have NO life) and every time some one says, "well, [newgrounds] didnt invent it" i point to your wikipedia artical. I then point out that wikipedia is as accurate, if not more so, then the encyclopedia britanica (true proven fact). Im making a lil portal like thing on my website (well, a movie section) and i put right there that i was inspired to make movies because of newgrounds. in some ways Newgrounds has changed the world, im sure if you think about it you can find one.

civIII
civIII
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant 2006-10-26 05:36:28 Reply

At 5/14/06 12:52 PM, Nickjot wrote: Yeah... I've seen them all. It's kind of sad.
Flash Portal Dot Com -Not even other pages to categorize the flashes. They even copyrighted the portal o.O

hmmm, if you ask me you should find out when they started up, and point out that they cant copy right that which was created before they.

Issueman
Issueman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant 2006-10-29 18:48:39 Reply

I have seen a few copycats but when compared to Newgounds they are small and usually pathetic. I'm not saying they're are complete crap but still most things are stolen or not NG quality. The Portal is more than just a place where you play games and watch cartoons, it's a gathering of opinions, veiws, geniuses, and shit loads of violence and swears, and boobs :) Everyone else is trying to capyure the uncatchable the Newgrounds sprit. NG4Life MOTHERFUCKERS!

Gorillazrock
Gorillazrock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant 2006-10-31 17:34:36 Reply

Issueman seems to sum it up entirely. I concur, my good man.

Relationship Crew NG Radio podcast Club Click the sig for direct download page, or Click Here for the show in the Itunes Market!

BBS Signature
jmill1is1here
jmill1is1here
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant 2007-02-11 04:34:37 Reply

tom man u and jess are heros and don'tt forget it

hey hey hey this is the j to the a to the r,r to the m to the o to the m to the e JERROME ROME AT BUILT IN A DAY PM ME

akmeteor
akmeteor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Gamer
Response to Copycat Rant 2007-07-23 21:06:58 Reply

yes im low leveled but ive been here since 2005 i think? yeah i think so anyways this is the best portal ive seen and ever will see this is the about 10th most lookes at website ever made the rest being other games sites and news ones so yeah ill just be quiet and let you all show your support PLEASE??

Well. Shit.

Nosirah
Nosirah
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Animator
Response to Copycat Rant 2007-07-29 22:06:30 Reply

This may have been asked, but I didn't feel like going through 15 pages of "W00t Tom," but is albinoblacksheep concidered a copycat site, because they have a community (like NG), but it's their own.

I personally love that site, and will submit my flash to both sites with a different preloader. Would that make you guys mad? The creator of ABS didn't care at all.

55555yuma
55555yuma
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant 2007-08-05 12:32:58 Reply

newgrounds !!!

ha new signature!!!

BBS Signature
55555yuma
55555yuma
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant 2007-08-06 17:00:04 Reply

right

ha new signature!!!

BBS Signature
akmeteor
akmeteor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Gamer
Response to Copycat Rant 2007-11-23 21:39:52 Reply

SUPER BUMP!!!

Well. Shit.

doomshock
doomshock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant 2007-11-29 19:04:19 Reply

Don't worry tom you have a "MONOPOLY" going here so as far as i know this will be # for long time till you die..and u die leave it to me k..

GEARZZ
GEARZZ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant 2008-01-14 16:43:27 Reply

How can you copywrite flash portals??????

Is it the code?

psyCHo014
psyCHo014
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant 2008-09-18 23:13:53 Reply

Wow... I'm the first one to read this in 4 years... I guess I love NG... It is pretty FUCKIN' lame that all those posers copied NG!!!!! Tom you can at least take solice in this: Flipsided is now a credit-card site, and NG may get coppied but, its still got one of the biggest portals on the web, and alot of the best artist out there recognize NG as King & may go to those other sites just to get there work on a site, but they usually submit their flash to NG when hey want a fan-base. THAT'S someting those other sites can't say

thesmurfysmurf
thesmurfysmurf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant 2008-09-21 22:48:39 Reply

can't stand copycats, tom.

Renandchi2
Renandchi2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Filmmaker
Response to Copycat Rant 2008-09-24 00:40:29 Reply

you mean like kongregate, and shit like that?
NG is the one and only, and nobody can top it. NOBODY

at least not until tom, wade, and ng dies, but tom and wade is a god

/

HannabalUnrated
HannabalUnrated
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant 2008-10-01 18:55:54 Reply

LONG LIVE NEWGROUNDS!!!!!

blood thirsty once again and i shall spill blood once again

BBS Signature
BFOverlord
BFOverlord
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant 2008-10-02 05:52:20 Reply

At 6/9/04 02:04 PM, Bickster wrote: It would be pretty funny if newgrounds took over the internet, and any time some one steals it's design, we can flag that site for review.

I always wished that NG would take over the internet, just as you describe, absorbing smaller portals a first, so then Tom and his Faithful Staff develope... The Portal Portal... Each Portal must pass judgement, and the content is rated by

Effective use of NG's HTML
Stolen Flash from NG
Portal's Staff has gone through identity changes and plastic surgeries to look EXACTLY like the NG Crew in their current form.

If a portal fails judgment the staff is publicly executed by Top and April wearing Barbaric Attire using heavy Wood Splitters.
When a portal passes judgement it must ALWAYS strive to stay above 30% lest they share the fate of failures.
If a portal manages to keep a rating of +95% for a week they are given amnesty the first time they are reduced below 30%.
However if a portal's rating is at 100% for more than one month they are under investigation for "cheating" the system, and fraudulent ratings.
Execution for this crime is handled by Wade Fulp and 4 of his clones, which have been given growth hormones and horse steroids. Then they are beat to death with wet leather strips about an inch wide and two feet long.

That would be completely fucking glorious.

On another serious note, Newgrounds has always been the only site I go to for Flash. And Tom and his Staff have my utmost respect or everything they have done with the site, what they have done is truly commendable and I am simply awe struck. I am doomed if I ever meet Tom or the NG staff, as I imagine it would be like a mere mortal meeting his (her) creator. I am no mere mortal, but meeting Tom and the Staff would surely cause instant, and violent death. But really that'd be fucking Pro.

ChookChukley
ChookChukley
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant 2008-10-24 23:51:32 Reply

Hey Tom; don't mean to potentially throw more on the servers than you've already heard, but I read your post and I figured I'd put my two cents' worth in.

I don't think this whole "Flash portal war," if I can call it that, is about which site is the best and which one deserves to "dominate" (though I'd personally vote Newgrounds.com anyway :-P). It's about who came up with the original ideas. You and Wade and all the people at the office implemented the idea of a compact, automated file submission, rating, and management system at a time when DSL Internet service was either unheard of or revered as some kind of ... well ... you remember how much dial-up sucks and that's what's important. Newgrounds was the first.

The notion can't be avoided that someday someone might come up with a better or simpler or more cost-effective way of doing things and put Newgrounds, in one sense or another, out of business. This site is a business, and Pennsylvania's part of one of the world's largest capitalist nations. But Newgrounds will always have been the first. I firmly believe that this site will go down in history books as part of the history of the Internet as one of the pioneering forces in free, sometimes politically incorrect online entertainment (if that hasn't already taken place).

And the important part is that you all keep pushing at it, trying to find ways to make it better, and all after it made its debut on the WWW thirteen years ago. How many Flash sites have been pushing the boundaries, either with technology or with their contributors - programmers and artists alike - for thirteen years? How many websites have even lasted thirteen years?

I've a bone to pick with sites that only post the "hottest" viral video content for extra clicks (like eBaumsworld, last I saw) or that post simply everything (like YouTube, which devolved long ago into a clusterfuck). They're not trying to be the next investigator of the problems of the future today, today (no typo), but they and those made in their likenesses are contributing to all this garbage piling up on the Net that people are going to see once or twice and show their friends and never view again. I'm not saying Newgrounds doesn't have a part in that as well, but the HTML and/or Javascript that make up the Flash Portal was designed, if I'm correct, to minimize spam and blatant copyright violations. There's that, and there's the fact that it keeps getting updated; bugs get fixed; cheating gets harder; making comprehensive and meaningful collections gets encouraged.

I may only say this because I've never written anything in HTML beyond the tags for various typefaces, but the Flash Portal is a work of genius, especially considering the foresight one might require to implement it just before the turn of the millenium, just before making content became part of a worldwide popularity contest (at least to some). And I'm not sucking up 2 teh innertente mazterzes. I may work hard at politeness but I'm not sucking up to anyone here. And on that note I should stop this rambling. I didn't know my post would exceed more than three sentences, but you get on a train of thought and you know how it goes...

Anyway, thanks for going at it with this site for two-thirds as long as I've lived. I hope I haven't bored you, and I apologize if I have.

Maybe I am a suck-up :-P.

stargeek
stargeek
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant 2008-10-26 19:21:46 Reply

newgrounds is the best of all gameing sites and always will be (I hope)

Rota64
Rota64
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant 2008-12-28 10:49:00 Reply

And the winner of the biggest copycat sie of all time is YOUTUBE good freakin JOB!!!

Argentin
Argentin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Game Developer
Response to Copycat Rant 2008-12-29 22:06:46 Reply

So what exactly did you mean?
Do you want credit for your work or you just want people to stop copying this site?

CRC07
CRC07
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant 2009-01-01 15:52:15 Reply

Youtube is SAD. Seriously. It has movies pouring in from everywhere. 90% of which is crap. So many things are stolen, and most of them are from here. It is sad.