Be a Supporter!

Copycat Rant

  • 53,788 Views
  • 448 Replies
Respond to this Topic
SteveGuzzi
SteveGuzzi
  • Member since: Dec. 16, 1999
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Writer
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 10th, 2004 @ 06:44 PM Reply

At 6/10/04 05:35 PM, flipsidedcom wrote: I just noticed that most of the people that have replied to this thread have under 25 posts.

..

At 6/10/04 05:44 PM, Deck_head_tottie wrote: Please, explain the significance of that.

Here, I'LL explain the significance.

Even people that haven't posted much before are pissed-off enough at how blatantly that fuckhead rips off NG to want to say something about it. It's called support, something that flipsided isn't getting much of (except from Bedn, which isn't exactly a shining example of quality endorsement).

Looky here, a piss-poor xerox copy of the NG frontpage:

Copycat Rant


BBS Signature
Moggie
Moggie
  • Member since: Apr. 6, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 10th, 2004 @ 06:58 PM Reply

In order to love a website, you must post on the boards? I never knew this. I guess I must be a n00b, seeing as this is only my sixth post. Thanks for the information, I'll write it down sometime..

As for why I don't post here, I never liked these boards. Besides, I'm always posting at OverClocked Remix and Anime Remix.

But hey, wait... Check my profile. Looks like I joined in 2001. I started coming here in late 1999, but I didn't sign up for a long while, because i didn't see the point. Oh, but I guess this account has been hacked by this mysterious conspirator out to get you! Please..

Bottom line is postcounts don't mean shit, and to assume all of us are one person is the most ridiculous thing I've heard all week. There is no conspiracy against you, regardless of what you may think. You're not that important.

123456789qwerty
123456789qwerty
  • Member since: Feb. 6, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 10th, 2004 @ 07:03 PM Reply

Those other sites are gay. Super gay. I saw all the other portals but i only use newgrounds. All the other portals disgust me. To me Newgrounds is still "The Portal" All those other gay copycats deserve to get their asses kicked. I bet you theres still hundreds of thousands of people loyal to newgrounds.Crap, This just gets me so pissed off even though im only a fan of newgrounds noone important. someguy.

binaryflow
binaryflow
  • Member since: Jul. 23, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Programmer
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 10th, 2004 @ 07:07 PM Reply

8 pages and still on topic, this must be a new record

phileeguy
phileeguy
  • Member since: Dec. 21, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 34
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 10th, 2004 @ 07:22 PM Reply

I guess it all comes down to art. This site being the original, Tom's masterpiece, is something he would like to take credit for.
But lets remember being first to come up with an idea doesn't necessarily make it the best (i.e. airplanes). However in this case, I think we should be crediting, not criticizing.

BTW, don't be alarmed if what i just wrote may seem just a bit confusing to you, it does to me. I thought i'd add my 2 cents.

binaryflow
binaryflow
  • Member since: Jul. 23, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Programmer
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 10th, 2004 @ 07:25 PM Reply

example of a copy cat site..

http://www.lavagarden.com/

and look..

http://www.newgrounds.com/gold/profile/template.php3?id=354179

using your resources to advertise his site.. bad the fucking bastard!!

azrag
azrag
  • Member since: Aug. 26, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 10th, 2004 @ 07:28 PM Reply

most of you people cant even code <html> thats sad. I belive Jesse when he says he used his own individual code. and he just used the idea of the portal. Jesse made it shut up go to http://www.flipsided.com its still a great site!!!

azrag
azrag
  • Member since: Aug. 26, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 10th, 2004 @ 07:30 PM Reply

can most of you noobs just do instead of complain. i have my own site. But its a free one. But the point is its good.

Blue-Flame
Blue-Flame
  • Member since: Aug. 4, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 10th, 2004 @ 08:03 PM Reply

I just visted flipsided for the first time...
And really, it IS Newgrounds...just, a slightly moderated Newgrounds. The FS-Bot?!? I mean...talk about a scam..

Anyway, I noticed, and assume this wasn't there untill Tom made this thread...

Flash Portal inspired by: http://www.newgrounds.com

Heh...bet they didn't want to say that huh?

I also noticed that there are alot of NG users signed up there...Including Bedn. Omg. kthx

Darkwarrior-Mage
Darkwarrior-Mage
  • Member since: Apr. 3, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 10th, 2004 @ 08:04 PM Reply

There may be alot of rippoff sites but NG WILL REMAIN THE BEST FLASH SITE IN THE WORLD LONG LIVE NEWGROUNDS

ffextreme
ffextreme
  • Member since: Jul. 11, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 10th, 2004 @ 08:12 PM Reply

I know I do not post a lot, but Newgrounds is best site on the internet. I been visiting Newgrounds.com since early 2001 every week. When I start to get bored I come over to Newgrounds to see the top new entries. My brother showed me the site and of course he click on the porn links. :P LOL! You could say you were the first & only adult slash porno ads Portal mega site. I remember back in the day. You would have to click the close button 20 times because those damn porno ads pop up. Also back in the day when someone walks in, I make sure newgrounds is minimize or in the middle of the page off the porno ads. I notice when time went by the top porno ads are gone.

ANYWAYS NEWGROUNDS KICKS ASS!!
TOM FULP IS A LEGEND ON THE INTERNET AND HIS SIDE KICK WADE FULP. I READ ALL THE LITERATURE,
Its seems from the picture that NEWGROUNDS head quarters is in a basement or apparment. ROFL
ANYWAYS I DONT GIVE A FUCK ABOUT THAT.
Now to that copy shit site, FUCK THEM.
I see he has link for your site, that 100% means he stole the whole damn thing but make it gay colors in the backround. You should get your portal copyrighted by U.S goverment man . DO IT, or more will steal. And then you could force it off or sue them. Or in future some top company will offer you a million and take your site. Something like Naspter is (one word stupid)
http://copyright.com

If i was rich i would give you a donation for the free enterment, but I get minimuim wage AT PIGGLY WIGGLY, which is a gocery fucking store. F*(K THEM!

THERES MY 99 cents too much.
N K FOREVER!
E I
W C
G K
R
O A
U S
N S
D
S

flipsidedcom
flipsidedcom
  • Member since: Feb. 22, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 10th, 2004 @ 08:22 PM Reply

At 6/10/04 08:03 PM, _Joe_ wrote: Anyway, I noticed, and assume this wasn't there untill Tom made this thread...
Flash Portal inspired by: http://www.newgrounds.com
Heh...bet they didn't want to say that huh?
I also noticed that there are alot of NG users signed up there...Including Bedn. Omg. kthx

I added that link because I noticed that it made such a big deal over here. I am friends with Josh and many other users.

swive
swive
  • Member since: Aug. 30, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 10th, 2004 @ 08:38 PM Reply

Newgrounds owns. Period.

Neonrising
Neonrising
  • Member since: Nov. 30, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 10th, 2004 @ 09:07 PM Reply

Copyright it. Have people pay you to use it or something, or have to ask permission or w/e. If they don't link to you, especially if you made it, that really puts a bad image on Newgrounds. Not cool of them. Besides, this is one of the best places to showcase art- if something is really animated well, or has great plot/humor or whatever then great, it stays and the system accepts more cartoons waiting to be judged.
If you don't do anything about this, someone may get a hint and try to copyright it before you (if you already haven't) and... that would suck.
Just my two cents, which usually isn't heard.

Freemark
Freemark
  • Member since: Jun. 10, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 10th, 2004 @ 09:23 PM Reply

This is my first post on NewGrounds. I think an interesting topic like this causes people to participate. I've been going to NG for years, though. And I've always known it to be the First, the Original, and the Best. People who copy it don't change this fact. Fulp's site will always be #1 on my list. Just my two cents.

the newb
-Freemark

Chris23
Chris23
  • Member since: Dec. 13, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 10th, 2004 @ 09:32 PM Reply

iono if anyone has said this yet, but maybe Tom should copyright the term "Flash Portal"

tonytreydoub
tonytreydoub
  • Member since: Jun. 10, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 10th, 2004 @ 09:39 PM Reply

its good u said this.people will now know the evil the evil BITERS that r not u

Turnip-Decoy
Turnip-Decoy
  • Member since: May. 8, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 10th, 2004 @ 09:43 PM Reply

At 6/9/04 10:37 PM, Turnip_Decoy wrote:
I agree with Mr. Tom Fulp's statement that all Flash animators want to get their work out there. I sure do. I've been drawing my cartoons and sketches feverishly for all of my life. I intend to bring those characters to the technological future with Flash animation. I mean, let's face it, I'm a poor student. I have a TERRIBLE focus problem, I can't remember anything for more than 6 seconds (on a good day), dates aren't memory resident to me, math IS torture, and the only thing I have is artistic talent, creativity, and a mediocre command of language. The only shot I have in the Big World of Spine-Eating Corporations is what I've been doing my whole life (drawing) and by bringing it to the next level.

So when you say that you prefer the sites that rob the hard work from others, you vote in favor for destroying my future, and the futures of others like me. I RESENT that.

Regardless of what the Law says, I say that this still stands. I know that copycatting isn't lawfully wrong unless it bears too close a resemblance or is a perfect copy of the original. There MIGHT be a copyright law infringment going on right now, but that's just my opinion.

But as far as the future of myself goes? I trust NG administrators to hold my content on their site without screwing me over on copyright laws and other miscellaneous often-taken-advantage-of rights and regulations. I know that either of the Mr. Fulps wouldn't jip me. Nobody's been jipped yet, to my knowledge.

Turnip-Decoy
Turnip-Decoy
  • Member since: May. 8, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 10th, 2004 @ 09:51 PM Reply

At 6/10/04 07:25 PM, BiNaryFlow wrote:
http://www.newgrounds.com/gold/profile/template.php3?id=354179

using your resources to advertise his site.. bad the fucking bastard!!

I KNOW that weasly shmuck! He goes to my school! And to think he was a friend of mine... his name's Andrew, and he showed me his site one day. I even TOLD him that NG would flag him for copyright infringment. He took off his glasses for that picture in his profile - he also showed me that. That pecker... I'll go tell him to cease and desist in the name of NG.

Turnip-Decoy
Turnip-Decoy
  • Member since: May. 8, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 10th, 2004 @ 10:08 PM Reply

At 6/10/04 06:44 PM, SteveGuzzi wrote:
Here, I'LL explain the significance.

Even people that haven't posted much before are pissed-off enough at how blatantly that fuckhead rips off NG to want to say something about it. It's called support, something that flipsided isn't getting much of (except from Bedn, which isn't exactly a shining example of quality endorsement).

Looky here, a piss-poor xerox copy of the NG frontpage:

<Insert Carbon-Copy Picture Here>

Thanks, Mr. Guzzi. My turn.

You, flipsidedcom, are the reason so many of us are PISSED OFF. And don't give me that crap "oh, well maybe not TOO many people are pissed, it's just one person spamming that he's pissed several times". because that's not even REMOTELY likely.

As I said before, people that steal other peoples' ideas are actually stealing financial income from the original owners. You SCREW US OVER for your own good, and then act like it's been your property all the time. If we didn't bring this up (or notice it, for that matter), I'd bet a dime to a doughnut you'd never put that statement up. "I got inspiration from here:" my ASS. You got the whole IDEA from Newgrounds. It should be a site BRANCHED OFF of Newgrounds. It's basically an arm you severed and colored on, if that analogy registers as logical.

You too stand for everything that is an animator's BANE. Stealing things because you want one? I doubt you even asked so much as permission! I'll let you know NOW that I'd never put my work on your site for fear it would be stolen just like NG's Portal Coding! Come up with your own ideas, if you're so business-keen.

?
<========||===O BIG THREATENING SWORD THINGY! ARRRGH!
¿

Loagaeth777
Loagaeth777
  • Member since: Apr. 14, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 10th, 2004 @ 10:20 PM Reply

i agree completely with tom 's rant, ive just joined recently as a user but ive known this page since 2001 and up until this year it was the only "portal" the i knew, furthermore ive been seeing a lot of other flash sites that does not only imitate newgrounds, but also takes the games and moviesa (i know this because they didnt bother in removing the newgrounds preloader out of the movies). about this i would like to know if these sites have the permition from newgrounds and the authors of those works showcased in their sites

KupaMan
KupaMan
  • Member since: Oct. 20, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 43
Artist
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 10th, 2004 @ 10:28 PM Reply

Though everything I will say has probably been said already in the last 8 pages of this post; I still think this is the best site for Flash content. I'm kinda making a site right now that doesn't have any Flash Portals or anything, but I still credit you guys for the inspiration. Also, those people stealing the idea of the Flash Portal from you, know they are, and so do their visiters. On that thread you had up, Tom, most of the people on the thread were 13 to 16. I, myself, am 15 and can say that most of our age group is retarded and sees all the copies and "2.0"s of other things (ie:Flash Portal, TV shows, Games, etc.) unbeknownst that there was an original and that it, for the most part, was better(Walking Tall, anyone?). I'm sorry that your features are so oftenly copied, but that's what happens to popular things. Maddox had some copy-cats, too *cought cough* Cloud Empire *cough cough*. So the more popular you get, the more copy-cat sites there are, but the more popular you are means the more those copy-cat sites will get noticed for being copy-cats and the less people will go to them. Hopefully.


I suck.

Billybob1
Billybob1
  • Member since: Jul. 13, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 10th, 2004 @ 11:20 PM Reply

To tell you the truth I kind of think it's great when you think about it copying some one is the ultimate form of Flatory Spelling? as long as no one is profiting from it or saying they started it it's ok but I still think it's wrong though

flipsidedcom
flipsidedcom
  • Member since: Feb. 22, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 10th, 2004 @ 11:32 PM Reply

I am not making any money from the portal at all, and I even link to newgrounds numerous times. I am even a big fan of the site.

flipsidedcom
flipsidedcom
  • Member since: Feb. 22, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 10th, 2004 @ 11:35 PM Reply

At 6/10/04 10:08 PM, Turnip_Decoy wrote: You, flipsidedcom, are the reason so many of us are PISSED OFF.

I personally think newgrounds users suck up to the staff, and they are replying to this thread on his behalf. Not that I mean that in a negative way, that is just my opinion.

KyleRoberts
KyleRoberts
  • Member since: Feb. 19, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 45
Programmer
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 10th, 2004 @ 11:57 PM Reply

At 6/10/04 11:35 PM, flipsidedcom wrote:
At 6/10/04 10:08 PM, Turnip_Decoy wrote: You, flipsidedcom, are the reason so many of us are PISSED OFF.
I personally think newgrounds users suck up to the staff, and they are replying to this thread on his behalf. Not that I mean that in a negative way, that is just my opinion.

I think it's pretty cool that there are so many devoted fans to this site, even if they are a little harsh and often immature. I personally would not rag on you despite your admission to owning a "copycat" site. But I do have to admit, I went to your site, and it was like I knew where everything was already. I mean, web standards have developed, showing that people are used to seeing certain elements of the page here or there, but the resemblance is incredibly striking. I'm sure by now you're tired of hearing that. But keep working on it to develop your own style.

flipsidedcom
flipsidedcom
  • Member since: Feb. 22, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 11th, 2004 @ 12:10 AM Reply

This only applies for the Flash Portal, I was inspired by it and decided to make one similar to it, because I loved the idea. The rest of the site is my creation.

Centii
Centii
  • Member since: Jan. 9, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 11th, 2004 @ 12:27 AM Reply

I really think your getting "inspired" is bullshit, complete bowl of shit. Yes shit in a bowl that is what it is and saying it was inspiration is a lie its more like you made an carbon copy with copper platting. Inspriation LEADS to new and better things. your site is a penny with an iron platting and trying to call it something else. i dont care how much you think the flash portal is yours or should be yours but just to let you know people dont need to suck up to people if the reason there supporting them is right. And calling people sucks ups becuase they found out that youve been copying NG's idea, pisses us off, is redundant and just gonna make us more mad. I mean ive been on newgrounds for sometime now since 1997. And all us little users feel almost apart of the site. and when you go and take the sites idea and make it your own when it is basicly the same thing, that pisses us of damn it!!!!!!!!

-Centii

flipsidedcom
flipsidedcom
  • Member since: Feb. 22, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 11th, 2004 @ 12:29 AM Reply

If I wasn't inspired by it, why would I have a portal?

HeavyDuty
HeavyDuty
  • Member since: Jun. 6, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 11th, 2004 @ 12:41 AM Reply

Aa-a-ah-AH-Bulls#!t.... Oh, bless me.

Was Al Gore there too?

*<}:o) H-D