Respond to this Topic
binaryflow
binaryflow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Programmer
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 11th, 2004 @ 11:55 AM Reply

At 6/11/04 10:23 AM, Thuriz_K wrote: You expect the guy to close down his site?

nope, i dont expect anything.... just a bit of fun along the way..

and to those people who say ng users stick their noses up toms ass.. well heres my view..

i wouldnt say that i brown nose tom fulp, infact, i dont really like the way he runs newgrounds and maybe he has the monopoly for too long and is beginning to think he is unbeatable.. i seriously think newgrounds needs some new features that will keep people coming back..
but, i do respect tom and i respect newgrounds (dont take that as me respecting users, i think 99.99% of them are complete morons) but he has put alot of effort into this website, and like its been said, has created a website that is able to support himself and his staff thats completely free!.. and thats pretty fucking impressive.. so hats off to the newgrounds crew..

as to the copy cat sites.. if a site came along that was better than newgrounds (and i dont mean a better website, also a better fan base) then i wouldnt think twice about moving over to there.. but there arnt any that are better.. just copies, made by kids who know a little php.. they are poorly made websites run on budget servers and i bet just some random website mostly, their history consists of about 2 weeks.. good websites evolve, and develop around what people want.. and thats what they have stolen, anyone can rewrite a code, but they have taken all the research and brainstorming that the ng crew have done and used to make their own "just add water" flash portal.. its not right, these kids wont make a profit and they wont be successfull, but they will be taking valuable users away from newgrounds.. and that just sucks, for all of us..

binaryflow
binaryflow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Programmer
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 11th, 2004 @ 11:57 AM Reply

At 6/11/04 11:16 AM, Xorx wrote:
LOL yes u are funny, too fucking right, well done for ahving the balls to say something bad against tom, i dont ahve a clue why u all like him so much, but if u fancy cramming ure nose up his dirty crack then be my guest but you ent gonna see me do it

one last thing, it doesnt take balls to type a few words into a web form..

MrFantastic
MrFantastic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 11th, 2004 @ 12:03 PM Reply

Look we understand that u get upset abouts copycats and i do 2. But tom.....WILL U PLEASE SHUT UP!

PSTWAH
PSTWAH
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Gamer
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 11th, 2004 @ 12:06 PM Reply

At 6/11/04 12:03 PM, MrNiceGuy99 wrote: Look we understand that u get upset abouts copycats and i do 2. But tom.....WILL U PLEASE SHUT UP!

Thanks to God that we can see an ignorant guy here. I'd like to ask for your reason to make such suggestions, but it's not too polite to swear a creator in such manner, especially on his site.

HailMac
HailMac
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 11th, 2004 @ 12:09 PM Reply

At 6/11/04 11:47 AM, Darklilangel23 wrote:
if those sites bug ya that much
im sure some you could do something like
get a membership on their sites and post links to ng like how they do to us

They don't link to ng, they copy it. Different. Besides, why oh why would tom get membership to a site that shamelessly steals off him? It's just not worth his time. He has his own, better website to upkeep.

Jebusxxx
Jebusxxx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 11th, 2004 @ 12:12 PM Reply

erm at the bottom of that site it says inspired by newgrounds and has a link to your site

thecolony
thecolony
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 11th, 2004 @ 12:14 PM Reply

I see lots of people complain about site that put movies on their to get good credits. Someone said this about dutch game sites like www.funnygamez.nl, or www.spelspelen.com . Now about these site putting movies on theirs, I agree, they do it, without getting punished for it, which is good. Most of the time the just place links to newgrounds (free propaganda), or the give credit to the maker (free propaganda), or they tell us what the source is (free propaganda). So I don't see problems with that one. People will only get more interested with what's going on here. People who complained about it better look at this problem at the good side... + there are other plus-points about these links to here. the whole archive of newgrounds is about 200.000 swf-files long, and of that 200.000, 50 are showcased in the top 50 all time, causing only these movies to get lots of views. The sites I talk about make us watch good movies (which are not good enough to be in the top 50, or is just for a selected audience).

KickIt
KickIt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 11th, 2004 @ 12:43 PM Reply

To Tommy boy and EveryOne Else Thinking a Flash Portal Is only a Flash Portal Its alot more than that because ive been online for awhile now and i remember when you couldnt do Stuff online

without paying, i love this web site my Thanx to Tom and Everyone That has put in hours to help better it i really enjoy the website you guys Have Created And ive been to a ton of web sites

Im a new member but ive been going to this page for years and ill probably be going here for years to come, So Basically i just want to let you know i appreciate the hard work and what not

KickIt
KickIt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 11th, 2004 @ 12:52 PM Reply

Why were newbies Pissed because probably unlike your dumbassed self i reallize the long fuckin hours they have had to put in and for what people like you trying to slit their throats

Because lets see your probably jealous they had all these fuckin ideas and what do you got?? Hmm... you got shit! id appreciate if youd back off jackhole you can say im sucking up but you know

what Fuck you just because i apprecaite somthing doesnt mean im sucking up , so if You think i am blow my asshole Shit Stain!

KyleRoberts
KyleRoberts
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 45
Programmer
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 11th, 2004 @ 12:54 PM Reply

At 6/11/04 06:05 AM, Xorx wrote: You cannot copyright an idea, simple as that.

Actually, you're wrong.

:He could copyright the code but then they would just take it and modify it, hes in a bind really. I still think he came on here to feel better about himself "Tom we love you" is all there has been these 9 pages... he really isnt that gr8.

At 6/11/04 11:16 AM, Xorx wrote:
At 6/11/04 10:41 AM, loopster22 wrote:
You can go ahead and visit those other sites,
thanks tom, was waiting for your permission.. faggot
LOL yes u are funny, too fucking right, well done for ahving the balls to say something bad against tom, i dont ahve a clue why u all like him so much, but if u fancy cramming ure nose up his dirty crack then be my guest but you ent gonna see me do it

Hey....guess what, bitches? We've established that there are now other copycat sites floating around out there. Sooo....why don't you take your sorry asses there if you don't appreciate the Fulps and their creations? You won't be missed.

deckheadtottie
deckheadtottie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 59
Programmer
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 11th, 2004 @ 12:55 PM Reply

At 6/11/04 12:03 PM, MrNiceGuy99 wrote: Look we understand that u get upset abouts copycats and i do 2. But tom.....WILL U PLEASE SHUT UP!

Because he always goes on about it...

#coys

BBS Signature
KyleRoberts
KyleRoberts
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 45
Programmer
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 11th, 2004 @ 01:11 PM Reply

Who the hell are you? You've been here, what, 5 minutes? Go away.

Loccie
Loccie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 11th, 2004 @ 01:15 PM Reply

this is sad

NuttyBanana
NuttyBanana
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 11th, 2004 @ 01:28 PM Reply

lol, its good see so many brown noses as there is in here. Oh yes tom x x x yes they are x x x

But, i totally agree.

I just checked the site out, and forgive me if this has already been sed but i cant be arsed to read through 10 pages of this, but...

the site has the flash portal, i did read someone sugest they simply call it something else.

They're making an alphas section, i mean come on....thats a blatent rip off.

Yeh...so many sites are doing this but apparently, "you cant copyright an idea"

Well, write the idea down and add images and all the other stuff appropriate, and then mail it to yourslef in the post. When you get it back, never open it. This means that you have an idea copyrighted. You got that stuff down and dated and the mail to prove it. Meh.

Like i sed, if its already been sed then just ignore it.

NuttyBanana
NuttyBanana
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 11th, 2004 @ 01:29 PM Reply

oh yeh an i forgot to mention! they even have the 'FS Bot' !!!!!!

lol, can u rip off much more?

But, im not aiming directly at FS of course, they're not the only ones....

zozh
zozh
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 11th, 2004 @ 03:05 PM Reply

I hav 1 thing to say TO BLOODY RIGHT!
I hav never seen a flash site as popular as NG, im trying to become a programer and its not easy and to create the portal most definetly wasnt ethier, if ppl want a good site they should try to come up with there own concept.

BuRnBoY
BuRnBoY
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 11th, 2004 @ 03:06 PM Reply

At 6/9/04 01:21 PM, TomFulp wrote: In general I keep my cool about sites that copy off of Newgrounds, but I realized today that kids don't even know who is copying who. It seems plenty of users think that a "Flash Portal" is a common concept, all Flash Portals inherently look alike, and there is no way around it.
So YES, Newgrounds was the first Flash Portal. I don't make many bold claims, but I will tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt that we created the entire "Flash Portal" system that seems so common today.

Tom, there really aren't all that many.

Nowadays, there are a lot of copycats. This past year has seen the biggest boom of copycat sites to date. Plenty of them have nice webmasters who really are cool guys, but none of that changes anything. They know where they got their inspiration (and much more), whether they admit it or not.

Every little aspect of NG has taken a lot of thought. We put tons of thought and work into our submission form, and now other webmasters simply copy the html code, paste it into their own page, and edit the values to submit to their database instead of ours. IT ISN'T THAT HARD TO RECREATE THE NG PORTAL, BUT CREATING IT DESERVES SOME CREDIT. I've spent countless hours brainstorming, as did Ross and as does James to this very day. We are still working on new features that require expansive planning. No doubt, a few years after their launch, they will seem simple and common as well.

I have never been a fan of copycat sites, but I've always accepted them as the reality of the world we live in. People see something they like, so they want to have their own version of it. That is just how people work. However, I was very disappointed by the above thread when I saw how many kids think a Flash Portal is just a Flash Portal. For years, NG was THE Flash Portal. Now it appears NG is "just another Flash Portal". That sort of thing really pisses me off, so I just had to say it.

You can go ahead and visit those other sites, but always know where it started. As one of the few Flash Portals that was actually started by a Flash author/enthusiast, I know the bottom line for artists is to get their work out there. Because of that, I can't simply say "don't showcase your work on those sites because it hurts my business." However, I do feel those sites cheapen everything that Newgrounds worked so hard for, and I think it is lame that fans of those sites don't even consider how they took all of our ideas and simply mirrored them for their own gain.

Although you make some valid points Tom, You don't seem to realise how relatively small most of these sites are. NG has over 1/2 Million Members, FLipsided has 600. Most of them will stay small and never really grow. If the small chance of them getting big does happen, their webspace will overflow and will have to shut down the site 'cos they can't afford to buy webservers etc.

NG is an "inspiration" for other portal sites. I do think that if they steal your code or pretty much name everything the same then that's unfair on you, but if they don't then that's fair enough. all webmasters with flash automated systems (I won't use the word "portal") knew where they got their inspiration/ideas from, but it's how much they've changed it to their own ideas that's what makes it good. If they call it a flash portal for a start that's bad, and should be renamed to something that isn't just ripped from your site, but their own ideas.

hamandcheeseclock
hamandcheeseclock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 11th, 2004 @ 03:26 PM Reply

Mr. Fulp, You should win the life time achevement award.

frosen-shadow
frosen-shadow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 11th, 2004 @ 03:26 PM Reply

people shouldn't really copy other peoples ideas and creations but if they do they should atleast give the creator some credit and make sure people know that, otherwise there just exploiting other people

Steve84
Steve84
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Gamer
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 11th, 2004 @ 03:57 PM Reply

Tom your right people should not steal your Idea's you should sue that site for copying you.

BuRnBoY
BuRnBoY
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 11th, 2004 @ 05:29 PM Reply

At 6/11/04 03:57 PM, SteveZarebski wrote: Tom your right people should not steal your Idea's you should sue that site for copying you.

that's out of order, and wouldn't work. It's like, some guy decides to wear his blazer back to front, he can't sue some other guy for copying him. Coz he most certinaly copyright wearing the blazer like that.

ThaBoss126
ThaBoss126
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 11th, 2004 @ 05:32 PM Reply

dude im sorry but u talk way to much

BuRnBoY
BuRnBoY
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 11th, 2004 @ 05:34 PM Reply

At 6/11/04 05:32 PM, ThaBoss126 wrote: dude im sorry but u talk way to much

who, me?

JGold
JGold
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 11th, 2004 @ 05:34 PM Reply

You know, I see the name "Tom Fulp" ..... but all I hear is Foamy.........

flipsidedcom
flipsidedcom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 11th, 2004 @ 05:41 PM Reply

They can only sue me if they actually had a copyrighted patent of the "Flash Portal". But they do not. Remember kids, newgrounds flash portal used to be called "The Portal", I am sure they used the word portal off of another website. Is that a copyright? No. You would have to legally copyright that word. If you believe my site is competition either now or in the long run I am very sorry. I am not trying to compete in anyway shape or form, considering I am a big NG fan.

Bionekid
Bionekid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 11th, 2004 @ 07:07 PM Reply

Flipside

Just shut up and do something with your life.
You're not going to confince them anyway.
So go on and steal some more.
You can even start a copy of Mc. Donalds
And this time, don't copy the name.
Call it Mc. Burgerking

KyleRoberts
KyleRoberts
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 45
Programmer
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 11th, 2004 @ 07:27 PM Reply

lol...I think you got plenty of publicity for your site now, Flipsided. Just not the good kind.

Now lay low for a while, unless you want to continue arguing with the rest of the NG community. I don't think it's helping you.

flipsidedcom
flipsidedcom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 11th, 2004 @ 07:56 PM Reply

I have nothing against newgrounds or anyone on the site. It's just I am shocked to see a front-page news post about it.

Masculine
Masculine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 42
Artist
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 11th, 2004 @ 08:24 PM Reply

Why did you end up changing it to Flash Videos when there are games on it?

lyall
lyall
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 11th, 2004 @ 09:05 PM Reply

FFS.

This entire thread is preposterous.

Think about it Invision board didn't egt sued or 'flamed' for creating software like phpbb and yabb, forums, etc. so your now flaming somebody else for making a script to allow automated uplosion of .swf files. Give the guy a break, he's learned ot code that PHP himself so lay off him, the only thing you should be remotely annoyed at is the similarity of layouts of the flash portals, but its very very difficult to come up with an original layout, I mean how else can you show the 2 columns, newest movies and top 50, they are both essential.

If I were Tom or Wade I'd be far more annoyed at Flipsided.com for calling its topsites fan_net, and basically completely ripping off the NG topsites in every imaginable way.

There are loads of other flash portal sites out there.

www.warmace.com,
www.txmafia.com,
www.burstfilms.com,
www.smosh.com,
www.locklegion.com,
www.thecrunge.net,
www.stickslaughter.com,
www.flashtheater.net,

and there are probably another 20 more that I can't think of right now. Now your picking on flipsided guy for having a portal, I haven't heard a single other portal site mentioned.

The only two things I think your can credibly accuse flipsided of riping off is the NG topsites system and the portal layout.

NOW ONE THING THAT REALLY PISSES ME OFF:

some fucking noob decides he wants a flash portal so just opens a site with a flash portal already there thathe has paid somebody else to make them eg: www.flashtheater.net

FFS.

Now if my flash site was having a portal that would be fine as we have been around for over 18 months and the flash portla would be there to provide a service for the fans who have become fans because of the quality of our 'inhouse' flash movies. + the fact it would be completely different to NG in everyway to show respect for NG's success.

Anyway im sort of for and sort of against this rant, bah give me your opinions on my opinions 8-)