Be a Supporter!

Copycat Rant

  • 53,792 Views
  • 448 Replies
Respond to this Topic
Turnip-Decoy
Turnip-Decoy
  • Member since: May. 8, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 11th, 2004 @ 11:30 PM Reply

At 6/11/04 09:05 PM, lyall wrote: FFS.

This entire thread is preposterous.

Define "preposterous". I don't see anything wrong with expression of opinions.


Think about it Invision board didn't egt sued or 'flamed' for creating software like phpbb and yabb, forums, etc. so your now flaming somebody else for making a script to allow automated uplosion of .swf files. Give the guy a break, he's learned ot code that PHP himself so lay off him, the only thing you should be remotely annoyed at is the similarity of layouts of the flash portals, but its very very difficult to come up with an original layout, I mean how else can you show the 2 columns, newest movies and top 50, they are both essential.

Essential? BULLSHIT. The layout isn't the only reason we're pissed off, it's the principle of the thing. Someone's taking another man's hard work and sullying the name! Now THAT'S preposterous. That, and you used the word 'both' when referring to three things. The Grammatical-Intelligence-O-Meter has hit rock bottom. At least you can spell.


If I were Tom or Wade I'd be far more annoyed at Flipsided.com for calling its topsites fan_net, and basically completely ripping off the NG topsites in every imaginable way.

You just contradicted yourself. First you say that you think this is a stupid post, but now you say that they have EVERY RIGHT to be angry. Let's take a side and support it, not act a retard and switch mid-comment.


There are loads of other flash portal sites out there.

And they all copied off of Newgrounds. You know, just in case you didn't notice.


www.warmace.com,
www.txmafia.com,
www.burstfilms.com,
www.smosh.com,
www.locklegion.com,
www.thecrunge.net,
www.stickslaughter.com,
www.flashtheater.net,

Wow, hundreds of copycats. You only serve to prove Mr. Fulp's point FURTHER. Have you chosen a side at this point, or are you still running in the R(etard) Gear?


and there are probably another 20 more that I can't think of right now.

I'm not surprised.

Now your picking on flipsided guy for having a portal, I haven't heard a single other portal site mentioned.

Because the owner of one such site had the blind foolishness to actually show his face in this post. We took the opportunity to flame him while he was here. See, not many people DO flock to copycat sites, but they still get business, even if it's just a little.

To be continued...

Arthurs-Fury
Arthurs-Fury
  • Member since: Sep. 16, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 11th, 2004 @ 11:38 PM Reply

Dude...Tom its okay. NG is the THE FLASH PORTAL which I am loyal too. This site is the only one that counts, and its my dream to have my flash movies, everyone's dream, on here no matter how many blams I have to take(which currently is 6).

And besides, its better being copycatted than the copy cat, right?

Turnip-Decoy
Turnip-Decoy
  • Member since: May. 8, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 11th, 2004 @ 11:41 PM Reply

At 6/11/04 09:05 PM, lyall wrote: Now your picking on flipsided guy for having a portal, I haven't heard a single other portal site mentioned.

I just had to show that you said that. Refer to previous post for counter-statement.


The only two things I think your can credibly accuse flipsided of riping off is the NG topsites system and the portal layout.

NO SHIT. What else have we been accusing it of? Comprehension is your friend.


NOW ONE THING THAT REALLY PISSES ME OFF:

Oh boy.


some fucking noob decides he wants a flash portal so just opens a site with a flash portal already there thathe has paid somebody else to make them eg: www.flashtheater.net

Yup, sad sack is he. And he can rot in hell too. Just like Flippy.


FFS.

Fuck Faced Shithead? Sounds like a reference to Flippy, to me.


Now if my flash site was having

Was having? Wait, wait, wait, what tense are you speaking in? You sound like the two villains on Rocky and Bullwinkle. "My day was having the badness." ¿¿¿ Too screwed up for normal ?s.

a portal that would be fine as we have been around for over 18 months

So, you're saying that it doesn't really matter what it is, just how long it's been around? Newgrounds' Flash Portal has been around for SEVERAL YEARS. 18 months doesn't mean anything. USURPED!

and the flash portla would be there to provide a service for the fans who have become fans because of the quality of our 'inhouse' flash movies.

Okay, that was logical, but stupid. "The fans became fans because of quality "inhouse" flash movies." Okay, so you rip off of NG, and you argue that you... have more fans? We gain fans in the same way. I don't see how this was ever relevant.

+ the fact it would be completely different to NG in everyway to show respect for NG's success.

BULLSHIT! It wouldn't be ANY different, though, because you add in an automated portal and award columns! You can NOT tell me that you can make a site that isn't copycatting if it uses a Flash Portal. Because THAT IS JUST WHAT IT IS. COPYCATTING.


Anyway im sort of for and sort of against this rant, bah give me your opinions on my opinions 8-)

Anyway, you aren't smart enough to take a side, so you blurted out all of your meaningless expressions in one weightless post. This, ladies and gentleman, is in all actuality a RETARD.

Bowserkvn
Bowserkvn
  • Member since: Mar. 29, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 12th, 2004 @ 12:56 AM Reply

i agree with tom, i visited this site when it was just assassin.

Saeadeb
Saeadeb
  • Member since: Apr. 18, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 12th, 2004 @ 03:18 AM Reply

I think Tom is right to be angry for one reason. When kids see these sites, the first thing that pops into their heads should be "whoa, *cough*ripoff*cough*" But no, the first thing in their heads is "whoa, I thought NG was the only one but, there's lots of sites in this design, woot!" Isn't there a way to not let people steal from you, like copyrighting the design? I'm just saying if anything like that is possible, do it before they rip you off and do it to you.

Dragon-Gemini
Dragon-Gemini
  • Member since: Apr. 20, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 12th, 2004 @ 04:38 AM Reply

At 6/9/04 01:21 PM, TomFulp wrote: Ok, I feel the need for a history lesson right now. In general I keep my cool about sites that copy off of Newgrounds, but I realized today that kids don't even know who is copying who. It seems plenty of users think that a "Flash Portal" is a common concept, all Flash Portals inherently look alike, and there is no way around it.

My rant was inspired by this thread.

Now for the history. I started the Newgrounds website in 1995. It became popular in 1996 due to my html (later, javascript) games such as Club a Seal and Assassin. I was just finishing high school at the time.

In 1998, I started working with Flash. Back then, there were only a few notable Flash sites. Each site generally showcased the work of one person - the webmaster of the site. Newgrounds was my personal showcase.

In 2000 I created "The Portal" to showcase the Flash I made that wasn't big enough to be a "Newgrounds Feature". Fans started submitting their own Flash, so I showcased it in The Portal. I'm sure I wasn't the first guy to host someone else's Flash work, but Newgrounds did explode as the first community of Flash authors. I was receiving so many submissions via email that I worked with my friend Ross (an amazing coder) to build an automated version of "The Portal" (now referred to as the Flash Portal due to the existence of the Audio Portal) that same year.

So YES, Newgrounds was the first Flash Portal. I don't make many bold claims, but I will tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt that we created the entire "Flash Portal" system that seems so common today. We were the first one to automate submissions, we were the first with the "three columns", we were the first with awards, we were the first with blams, saves, under judgements, and EVERY OTHER FEATURE you find on Newgrounds that is familiar on other sites. That is one thing I don't bullshit about... We have spent the past FOUR YEARS refining this system and making it what it is.

Nowadays, there are a lot of copycats. This past year has seen the biggest boom of copycat sites to date. Plenty of them have nice webmasters who really are cool guys, but none of that changes anything. They know where they got their inspiration (and much more), whether they admit it or not.

Every little aspect of NG has taken a lot of thought. We put tons of thought and work into our submission form, and now other webmasters simply copy the html code, paste it into their own page, and edit the values to submit to their database instead of ours. IT ISN'T THAT HARD TO RECREATE THE NG PORTAL, BUT CREATING IT DESERVES SOME CREDIT. I've spent countless hours brainstorming, as did Ross and as does James to this very day. We are still working on new features that require expansive planning. No doubt, a few years after their launch, they will seem simple and common as well.

I have never been a fan of copycat sites, but I've always accepted them as the reality of the world we live in. People see something they like, so they want to have their own version of it. That is just how people work. However, I was very disappointed by the above thread when I saw how many kids think a Flash Portal is just a Flash Portal. For years, NG was THE Flash Portal. Now it appears NG is "just another Flash Portal". That sort of thing really pisses me off, so I just had to say it.

You can go ahead and visit those other sites, but always know where it started. As one of the few Flash Portals that was actually started by a Flash author/enthusiast, I know the bottom line for artists is to get their work out there. Because of that, I can't simply say "don't showcase your work on those sites because it hurts my business." However, I do feel those sites cheapen everything that Newgrounds worked so hard for, and I think it is lame that fans of those sites don't even consider how they took all of our ideas and simply mirrored them for their own gain.

So once again, I just had to say it.

well said tom i agree completely i have browsed newgrounds every once in awhile for the past 4 years and wish i signed up then but i didnt (my rank would be alot higher in practically everything if i had) but ya you guys did create the flash portal because i remember the really really old school version with the assassin section and all kinds of other stuff i also think it used to have an adult section then you had to pay for it seperately and now its back on the site but i wasnt 18 then so shh i didnt really say that part ;) keep up the great work on the site and you should contact them and politely ask for credit not cash or anything but just fine print saying newgrounds.com is the original flash portal i give full credit to the creator etc. all that legal stuff keep up the great work with this site from what i have seen it just keeps getting better and better however sometimes i feel alot of the people only like flashes if they contain violence or sex which i find kind of sad but cant change

Dragon-Gemini
Dragon-Gemini
  • Member since: Apr. 20, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 12th, 2004 @ 04:44 AM Reply

the problem with what you said is believe it or not two years ago and the reason there is a problem with that is newgrounds was started way before then and portal has been around at least 4 maybe 5 years? i mean in its complete form even before then you could search for submissions and everything i didnt even read all of what you said but i will now just wanted to let you know that although it wasnt the first portal you saw ... it WAS the first :)

Dragon-Gemini
Dragon-Gemini
  • Member since: Apr. 20, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 12th, 2004 @ 04:51 AM Reply

holy crap...... i hope newgrounds does sue you your portal is 100% a clone of theirs only the colors are different if i were you i would really start begging newgrounds not to sue you and ya your site looks cool i will give you that but thats because its newgrounds with a different name and less users tom if you want to sue a site thats the one

TheOneAndOnlyRatBoy
TheOneAndOnlyRatBoy
  • Member since: Nov. 30, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 12th, 2004 @ 05:32 AM Reply

man oh man i cant believe some peopel have th gall to make the claim that they started the whole 'flash portal' concept. Ive been a loyal follower of newgrounds since near the beggining and im trying to spread the good word on all my regular forums.can you get patents on that kinda thing...you shoul look into it. Rock on man

lyall
lyall
  • Member since: Mar. 16, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 12th, 2004 @ 06:34 AM Reply

Urgh... Turnip_Decoy

I wasn't exactly defending Flipsided, I was basically stating that in my opinion it is ridiculous to moan about people having a 'flash portal' on there site just because NG was the first.

and how else could you show the newest 50 and top rated 50 flash movies without having two columns with it being effecient too?

And nah, not all them sites copied NG, locklegions portal is based around phpbb, a portal for lock movies, whats wrong with that? Stickslaughter is a portal for stick movies, whats wrong with that? you defending the fact that many NG fans and maybe some of the NG staff want an unparallelled monopoly of the animating community.

Yes, I'm a big fan of NG as it was the first but you really can't expect people to not try and rival this monopoly. Yes they are all going to fail, but my point its a waste of time flaming someone for creating something where failiure is iminent.

as for the fan_net thing, if I was Tom Fulp I would be far more annoyed at that than Flipsided having a flash portal.

ZuceMara
ZuceMara
  • Member since: Jun. 6, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 12th, 2004 @ 07:40 AM Reply

We need to stay true to th NG cause

Copycat Rant

2re
2re
  • Member since: Oct. 13, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 12th, 2004 @ 12:07 PM Reply

For me, NG is the ONE AND ONLY. No website is as popular, or great as NG. Whenever I hear the word Flash Portal, I think of Newgrounds. You shouldn´t even talk about NG being the "first", or the "ones who started it", NG IS THE ONLY ONE! other "flash portal" sites are rip offs. Rip offs does not deserve the same credit as the original.

Xiyouji
Xiyouji
  • Member since: Nov. 29, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 12th, 2004 @ 01:29 PM Reply

Darn those...this is still the Flash Portal for me, and I've been promoting NG in my links...NG!!!

pythagoras
pythagoras
  • Member since: Aug. 12, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 12th, 2004 @ 04:06 PM Reply

At 6/12/04 06:34 AM, lyall wrote: Yes, I'm a big fan of NG as it was the first but you really can't expect people to not try and rival this monopoly. Yes they are all going to fail, but my point its a waste of time flaming someone for creating something where failiure is iminent.

Tom makes out like these sites are hugely popular and successful, so naturally all the users will take this stance and won't budge on it. The fact is: you're right. NG has the monopoly, and unless they screw up big time, they will hold it.

I don't know why people aren't more pissed at the commercial sites that "rip off" NG. Sites like flashplayer.com that actually attract a large audience should be more worrying to NG. Not the product of some kid's spare time.

as for the fan_net thing, if I was Tom Fulp I would be far more annoyed at that than Flipsided having a flash portal.

Lol. They don't make money from the fan net. Of course they don't give a toss.

Aljade
Aljade
  • Member since: Dec. 14, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 12th, 2004 @ 04:42 PM Reply

I agree you are the first portal but it takes plenty of skill to create your own. Plus I have a site with a Flash Portal but I also made a Video, Image, and Joke portal. Here is my site:
www.thestickkillers.com

Aljade
Aljade
  • Member since: Dec. 14, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 12th, 2004 @ 04:55 PM Reply

Oh and one more thing to you Tom on that news post you said that you though people just simply copied your HTML script for a portal. Anyone with the even slightest knoweledge of PHP would know that you need more than just PHP to make a portal. And the only way to steal PHP is by hacking into the web server and taking the pages there. So obiousily everyone you are calling a "Copy Cat" is alot more skilled than you, they actually coded the portals themselves!

Aljade
Aljade
  • Member since: Dec. 14, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 12th, 2004 @ 05:02 PM Reply

Sorry for triple posting but since you can't edit posts this is what I meant to say:

Oh and one more thing to you Tom on that news post you said that you thought people just simply copied your HTML script for a portal. Anyone with the even slightest knoweledge of PHP would know that you need more than just HTML to make a portal. And the only way to steal PHP is by hacking into the web server and taking the pages there. So obiousily everyone you are calling a "Copy Cat" is alot more skilled than you, they actually coded the portals themselves!

XcakerX
XcakerX
  • Member since: Jan. 9, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 12th, 2004 @ 05:16 PM Reply

I remeber newgrounds before the god damn fucking portal, and early portal shit.

Newgrounds remains the one and only site I go for flash entertainment(except weeble and bob). If doesn't get posted on newgrounds, it ain't worth lookin for.

Zonox
Zonox
  • Member since: Dec. 4, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 12th, 2004 @ 05:20 PM Reply

I am in complete agreement with Lyall and Aljade, firstly:

Wow, big deal, NG had the first portal FOR FLASH, many sites before Newgrounds have had upload scripts, NG did NOT invent the upload script.

Secondly, the people who made the first FPS game, do not go around shouting at the likes of Medal of Honour "Hey you punk, you copied my idea, bahhhhhhhhh", They think, wow, great djob they've done adding to our ideas, good job. However Tom Fulp here sits around like Bill Gates, "Hmmmmm, I won't reply to any of the comments to my rant about portals, I'll just drink me drink and work on Alien Hominid some more." Tom, the least you should do is reply to the negative comments to your rant.

Furthermore, the webmasters today make their own portal, they do not right click 'View Source' copy and paste, tadah, 'Insta-Portal', they take the time to learn PHP and MySQL, and HTML. All they got from Newgrounds was the idea.

Lyall, who posted above, is a great guy, if you read what he read (you won't cos you don't consider the users.) what he posted carefully, you'll realise he is absolutely correct.

I know I've been very sceptical in this post, and havenb't laid it out well, but mainly, the point is to tell Tom Fulp to remove his paranoia, don't worry no one is going 'steal' Newgrounds away from you, these portals aren't effecting, so what you posted was just a load of "Burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr".

Lastly, you've 'made' a great site, people enjoy it, however 90% of it isn't your work, maybe we should rant about how this site is the communties not yours, the portal is not yours, the idea behind a portal is that it belongs to the users so that they can access the site and so that they enjoy it more.

Please consider these points IF you even decide to read them, you are pretty pathetic, and greedy, I am speaking the truth, and pull every Newgrounds users toungue out of your arse.

Sorry, its the truth,
Zonox

BlaCKflASh
BlaCKflASh
  • Member since: Jun. 12, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 12th, 2004 @ 05:41 PM Reply

HAha. What a n00b. Except, he's right ya grubs.

ThaBoss126
ThaBoss126
  • Member since: Jun. 11, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 12th, 2004 @ 11:50 PM Reply

At 6/12/04 07:40 AM, ZuceMara wrote: We need to stay true to th NG cause

know what we should do??? we should go on an emailing spree just to piss people off...That mr friends is the NG cause....or one of them...mabey not...what do u guys think???

frankie999
frankie999
  • Member since: Oct. 26, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 13th, 2004 @ 04:01 AM Reply

Every one on newgrounds should realize the hard work and time tom has put into the site. I think tht all of the copycat sites and their creators should be boycotted by and true NG fan. If you truly appreciate Tom and Wade along with everyone else who has worked hard at this site I say we band together and shut down every hack portal on the web!

JSonicC
JSonicC
  • Member since: Oct. 21, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 13th, 2004 @ 05:21 AM Reply

Mayby on the portal page, the banner with te SWF icon floating about, you could put, "X no of entrys since 98!" that kinda hints that you were the first to do it, and also the bigest flash portal on the web

Atr9976
Atr9976
  • Member since: Feb. 22, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 13th, 2004 @ 10:19 AM Reply

Ok, Tom don't worry about this at all!!!! Newgrounds, BY FAR is a popular site. I myself was introduced to this website by a few friends of mine. It dosen't matter, your work is unbeatable.

Pastey-Penguin
Pastey-Penguin
  • Member since: Apr. 3, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 13th, 2004 @ 11:42 AM Reply

IT ISN'T THAT HARD TO RECREATE THE NG PORTAL, BUT CREATING IT DESERVES SOME CREDIT.

Okay then... Kudos on that Flash Portal!

Psycho-Nuts
Psycho-Nuts
  • Member since: Jun. 30, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 13th, 2004 @ 12:49 PM Reply

All this reminds me of that episode of the Simpsons with the Flaming Moe. As soon as everyone knew how to make it then everyone was selling it with a new name and the original just went back to what it was before. Im not really sure if there is a point to all this. Oh yeah! Dont let this happen to newgrounds. Throw in useless bits of code that dont do anything. Then when other sites use their little copy and paste shit, you can sue their asses off if they have the useless code.

MrFantastic
MrFantastic
  • Member since: May. 15, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 13th, 2004 @ 12:50 PM Reply

Im only telling tom to stop moaning because thats all hes been doing over the last couple of days. I am not an ignorant person truly but i don't to see the NG front page covered up by some guy on rant. I want to know things like how hes going with alien hominid ect. I just dont like ranters filling up pages ok?

MrFantastic
MrFantastic
  • Member since: May. 15, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 13th, 2004 @ 01:08 PM Reply

w00t level 2!

BuRnBoY
BuRnBoY
  • Member since: Feb. 29, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 13th, 2004 @ 01:25 PM Reply

At 6/13/04 11:42 AM, Pastey_Penguin wrote: IT ISN'T THAT HARD TO RECREATE THE NG PORTAL, BUT CREATING IT DESERVES SOME CREDIT.

actually it is..

ajadedrose13
ajadedrose13
  • Member since: Dec. 16, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant Jun. 13th, 2004 @ 04:22 PM Reply

sweety... i feel for u... i do... i am a model and when i started putting yarn dreads in my hair to freak my photographer out... who ended up loving it... grrrr... i was so so so pist when a bunch of chicks a week later had the same do... and it was crappy... ne ways u shouldnt feel be mad or upset about the other portals... someone copying u is like a sighn of flatery... and i bet u r so much sexier than them ne ways!!!