Respond to this Topic
pythagoras
pythagoras
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-10 05:16:03 Reply

As a webmaster of such a site that Tom talks about (I won't plug it, but I'm sure you can figure it out), the first response that comes to mind is "Imitation is the best form of flattery." You should be proud that your ideas were deemed good enough to be copied by others. I understand that that may or may not mean much to some, but to me, that would be a huge honor.

I must make it clear that I have a huge amount of respect for NG. I didn't create my site to rip it off, but rather for personal experience with PHP. A learning experience. I don't see the point in me making a PHP site using ideas that I don't find particularly interesting. As a flash artist myself, A flash portal was a natural selection for my site, if not for others to submit their stuff, then for me to have a place of my own to submit to.

At 6/9/04 01:21 PM, TomFulp wrote: took all of our ideas and simply mirrored them for their own gain.

That hurts. I don't gain a thing from running my site, the minute amout of money the banners on my site make are in the hopes of actually paying the bandwidth costs (which they don't.) I imagine that most people who run these sites are under the same banner as me, just some dumb bored kids looking for something to do.

Juudas
Juudas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-10 05:18:02 Reply

I feel ya Tom. To think there wasn't even much of a credit given.. Arrgh, I'm gettin even more pissed after visiting that flipsided.com, which the 16 yr old author had been working hard on. What fucking work!? It wouldn't have been so bad if he hadn't incorporated the whole copycat flash section to the website Someone should teach him something about appreciation and respect for other people's work ....it's such a sad thing [img]http://www.erowebs.org/forums/images/smilies/new/reddisgust.gif[/img]

SmokeMyLungs
SmokeMyLungs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-10 05:37:23 Reply

heh .. just be proud that Newgrounds created the first ever portal ...and everybody is trying to copy it cos its so good.

isthatlegal
isthatlegal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-10 06:07:44 Reply

NG wil always be bigger though, and thus people will think it is better, just becasue of the amount of members it already has!

Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 59
Writer
Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-10 06:16:53 Reply

Yeah, they should all bow down to you, Tom, the master of all flash portals.

This could also be an excuse for a 'battle for the portal' stlye series. Something like 'battle of the portals' though the ending would be a little predictable.

ALL HAIL TOM FULP!

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey
News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
isthatlegal
isthatlegal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-10 06:19:15 Reply

sorry about the double post, but it has to be said that a lot of work and effort has also gone into making those other sites, unless they hav got a portal -open source- system... from elsewhere

so people shud still respect it...

but NG is probobly th only money making site, where as the others a money loosing

Mako-Shark
Mako-Shark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-10 06:24:48 Reply

I don't normally post any sort of reply to any of the comments I see on the front page for good reason. Normally it is Bandwidth this or Alien Hominid that. Stuff that is more or less a waste to read. However when I saw Tom's Rant I had to say this;

Newgrounds is the best site on the web, and everyone else that is riding on the wake of the innovation found at this site had better get comfortable. Because of the staff that runs this site and the authors that call newgrounds home, Newgrounds will continue to lead the way.

So to Tom and Wade and everyone else that works with Newgrounds, a heart felt thank you!!!

blackfish10
blackfish10
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-10 06:53:53 Reply

OK, maybe you all need reminding of what a 'portal' is.
Portal (n.)
2. <Computing> An Internet page/site providing a directory of links to other internet pages/sites.

You are not telling me you invented the word portal.
While this site may be good, and have a vast fanbase, it is not the portal.
Nor did you invent the concept of a portal either.
It may not occur to all of you, but there are over 6 billion people, and is it not possible that more then one person will have the same notion as another without copying, or even knowing about the other person.

EliteNewbie
EliteNewbie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-10 06:57:15 Reply

Go Tom! :D

I'm glad you have finally had your say about this topic.
I have been with Newgrounds for as long as it's been around 1996 :D,

then when i started to make flash of my own (not very good ones mind you) i made an account and uploaded it HERE!

Newgrounds has evolved over the years, and so has the artwork. I get pissed off seeing sites like the one in the thread who don't show any aknowledgement to the site they modelled off, hell Tom could possibly copyright his site, and all of you webmasters will have to shut down, or change your system. The fact that some of the webmasters have Newgrounds ID's mean that they do INDEED know about Newgrounds, and have obviously modelled thier sites off here (that's not to say copied, OK)

The fact that one of them (name undisclosed to prevent them getting hits to their page) has completely ripped off newgrounds, and then has the nerve to ask animators to take the NG logo away because Tom and Wade don't like it on other sites... meh, thats bullsh!t!!!

Anyway, they can't even validate their movies, they don't acknowledge the proper authors for their films... a chick did NOT animate "Dear Penis!" (Chris Dill did)

My 5 minutes! Just to show that NEWGROUNDs is and always will be the original and the best since 1991 (when neo ground started)

Sir-Davey
Sir-Davey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-10 07:03:46 Reply

I think getting annoyed about people ripping off the portal is a bit stupid.
1- It's a challenge for all coders to do something with their skills.
2- I wonder how the person that invented FORUMS feels, eh? Don't complain about the portal being stolen, because BBS are everywhere. So will flash portals soon. I'm sure.

BBS Signature
flipsidedcom
flipsidedcom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-10 07:30:03 Reply

I coded 100% of the PHP code for my website. I am a fan of Newgrounds and I admit that I was inspired by it, and wanted a community website similar to it.

Blingo
Blingo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-10 07:39:53 Reply

http://www.flipsided.com/portal/view/143.php

OMFG! this movie even uses the NG preloader. that's gratitude for you... and it's clocks as well. you should put a link to NG in the preloader if everyone's gonna use it like this, or at least make sure the preloader says it's newgrounds.com . at the moment it could be anything, like a... shop or something

and flipsided really has stolen loads of your ideas - reviews, votes and everything, it sucks

flipsidedcom
flipsidedcom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-10 07:46:59 Reply

Anyone can use the newgrounds preloader and place it on their flash. I was inspired by the portal and decided to make it. What's wrong with using the newgrounds preloader? Also those entries are submitted. I am not responsible for their content.

ShibbyHoboJoe
ShibbyHoboJoe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-10 07:48:35 Reply

At 6/10/04 06:53 AM, blackfish10 wrote: shit

you're stupid

Blingo
Blingo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-10 07:55:53 Reply

aargh! he's even got an ng account! that takes the piss!

but really, it's cool. much of the content is different to that on NG, but i do think it's only fair that if people are taking NG resources and using them so blatantly elsewhere, NG could at least get some hits back from it. i do understand the complaint isn't so much against you as the fact that people don't recognise NG as the revolutionary site that it is. and if you stole the code, you really should acknowledge it with a link to NG, or better still, not steal. but that's not likely...

Fibz
Fibz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-10 08:27:39 Reply

Wow, i have never seen another site using a flash portal before, i thought newgrounds was "The Flash Portal" i felt proud that i could be the one who introduces a person to "The Flash Portal" i would bring my mates over to my house and show them newgrounds then they'd be hooked forever! I hope these idiots learn to create their own scripts like every other site. Why don't you Charge people for the use of the portal system. At least then you could make some money

Blingo
Blingo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-10 08:58:49 Reply

At 6/10/04 07:46 AM, flipsidedcom wrote: Anyone can use the newgrounds preloader and place it on their flash. I was inspired by the portal and decided to make it. What's wrong with using the newgrounds preloader? Also those entries are submitted. I am not responsible for their content.

i do understand you have nothing to do with submitted content, i was advising tom or someone to put the link in the preloader. i've looked around a bit and found you say you coded it all yourself, so that's fine by me. NG's automated portal is the original and best, who could not get inspiration from it when creating their own?

you've also got other content and media on there which is nice.

Jierdan-firkraag
Jierdan-firkraag
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-10 09:23:38 Reply

I think NG is still THE flash portal. I've seen many other sites what ya wroted about and they suck copared 2 NG. Besides... I met this site by the newspaper and I don't think a site just popes out in that<(^_^)>

-JF-

punkdog5
punkdog5
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-10 09:24:51 Reply

I've been using newgrounds scence '97 and I havent had the need to find an other flash site. EVER. You rock. If I could give you a prize I would.

flipsidedcom
flipsidedcom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-10 09:44:06 Reply

I did not steal any PHP code from Newgrounds.com, I admit to taking the idea from it because it inspired me. Also if I am correct, anyone can use the Newgrounds.com preloader and use it anywhere, so there is nothing wrong with that.

tsukasu
tsukasu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-10 10:07:23 Reply

I posted this on the "Total ripoff of the NG portal?" post before I saw this one. So to re-iterate:

HA HA HA! This is funny! This is very funny. I started coming to this site now and then during my freshman year of college (1999). In 2001 I decided to set up an account here because I felt the site was growing and getting better and better. This site has inspired me to look at flash and really formulate an opinion on them. Now with all the success of this site and more and more people joining just like I did and all of you who posted, did you think that no one else would try to cut a slice off for themselves? It's just like anything else. Anyone ever heard of Pepsi and Coke? Chips-A-Hoy and Chips-Deluxe? Smacks and Golden Crisp? These are all companys who use the same product. If there is a copyright issue I'm sure the Fulp borthers would be right on top of it. But, I'm sure they know that there is no copyright on hosting flash just like there are a shit-load of phone companys. So are these other sites "ripping off" an idea? Yes. Does this happen everyday? Yes. Is there anything you can do about it? No. All I can say is I'm sticking with Newgrounds because I have "Brand Loyalty".

SmokeMyLungs
SmokeMyLungs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-10 10:10:23 Reply

Flipsided ... You're Gay ....dey'll only be one Real Flash Portal and dats Newgrounds..
CloseYour site down ..AND STOP BEING SUCH A GODDAMN WANNABE .!!!
Madonna what a poser you are. If you want someting for yourself either be original ...Or atleast Give Credit .to who really created it .. Or Pay for it .. YOUR VIOlATING Copyright

[[[[[Copyright 1996-2004 Newgrounds Inc.]]]]]
READ THE PRINT.

Heedless
Heedless
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-10 10:30:33 Reply

Lately I have noticed more and more NG users who have no idea of what NG was and is about or who are not aware of the NG history.

I discovered this website a few years ago, I think it was 2000 or something and I was hooked from that day on.

That people copy the portal sucks, but you can live with it. What I REALLY dispise is the massive amount of websites that deeplink NG content! (website with games, which they claim to be theirs, but when you investigate the source code, you find out that they acctually linked a NG game to their website). Those websites use op NG bandwidth but the users will never know that they were playing games that are hosted on NG. So Tom and the gang has to pay for the used amount of MBs but they don't get any money from sponsors.

And because the internet is still in development, nobody knows if you can drag them to court or not.

Tom, you (and your friends) are the one who started it all. Don't let those copycats get you down.

Jasper, the Netherlands

azrag
azrag
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-10 11:10:12 Reply

I respect the person who made flipsided. big deal, its just a look a like portal. Flipsided.com is a great site. And I think they are not doing anything wrong. Cause everyone loves newgrounds. so why does it matter. People advertise it to. So I think leave the sites alone. Sides newgrounds is super ass popular. SO SHUT UP AND PLUG IT IN YOUR ANUS

Arbee
Arbee
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-10 11:14:09 Reply

If I was Tom I'd probably be quite flattered that everyone is copying Newgrounds. Just shows how good an idea it is. Also you could just sit back look at them all and think "I did this" and it probably feel good... but hey obvioulsy Alien Hominid is gettin to the guy and he had to take it out on someone...

azrag
azrag
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-10 11:33:12 Reply

People take things way to seriously LOL

azrag
azrag
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-10 11:47:07 Reply

I have lots of respect for tom fulp but I think hes taking this to far???????

Heedless
Heedless
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-10 11:50:20 Reply

A lot of people are saying thinks like "big deal".

But it's not just that the websites look like NG or use 'stolen' code. They just copied the NG portal and don't give NG any credit for it. That's the main problem!

Tom and his friends have worked for days, weeks, months, years even, to make NG what it is today. And if Tom is pissed because some lame 16 years old boy copies all his hard work, I fully understand him!

And I hope most of the NG users will stand with him!

Ineffiable
Ineffiable
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-10 12:01:55 Reply

Newgrounds will be a legend among websites. I mean what websites has as many people visiting as us? and such a blend of tons of cultures here. It should live on for forever.

Blingo
Blingo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-10 12:46:00 Reply

interesting side note - i first discovered newgrounds through a stolen NG assassin movie, which still contained a link to NG when it was stolen and put straight onto the other site. so... stealing isn't all bad :p