Be a Supporter!

Treasure Hunt 2011

  • 32,465 Views
  • 273 Replies
Respond to this Topic
MiracleFruitClock
MiracleFruitClock
  • Member since: Oct. 4, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Treasure Hunt 2011 Oct. 14th, 2011 @ 01:59 PM Reply

  • Pruit Igoe
    Pruit Igoe by MiracleFruitClock

    Click to view.

    Type
    Movie
    Rated
    Ages 13+

Stickman91
Stickman91
  • Member since: Oct. 25, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Programmer
Response to Treasure Hunt 2011 Oct. 14th, 2011 @ 02:01 PM Reply

At 10/14/11 11:07 AM, cast wrote: I wish these treasure hunts were a bit more limited regarding how many 'gems' users are allowed to post. Maybe allow people 10 total? Maybe less, make them think about it and suggest submissions which they truly feel are REAL GEMS. It evens out the odd's and makes it more of a true contest. The way it's currently setup I could just compile a list of everything that fits your criteria, post, and the odd's would be on my side. I just feel like these massive lists go against the true purpose of these annual treasure hunts, which is finding quality submissions which deserve more attention than they have received, and not so much the prize.

I agree with this.

Last year, I posted a list of over 40 submissions, but they weren't really things that I felt were true gems; for the most part, it was a list of things that simply made me giggle from time to time. In retrospect, I wish I hadn't been so excessive, as going through all the things I posted was probably irritating.

The list I posted this year is a far better representation of underexposed content that I think a lot of others would enjoy, and I like to think it makes up for last year's unnecessarily bloated list.

At 10/14/11 11:07 AM, cast wrote: At this rate, this will be the last 'treasure hunt'.

I certainly hope not; I love this event because it motivates me to comb through my favorites and revisit some awesome things I haven't checked out in a while.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to have more frequent and smaller treasure hunts in which only a very limited range of submissions is considered. For example, at the end of every month, users could be asked to suggest one "gem" submitted within the previous month that they feel has unfairly fallen into obscurity. So at the end of February, for example, only content submitted in January would be considered. This could help take the pain out of having to scour a huge annual list; plus, authors of undiscovered gems would be more likely to see their work get additional recognition quicker, instead of having to wait a year or more, by which time they may have left NG or their work may have become too dated to be enjoyed to its fullest potential.

Just my two cents.

CrazyRock
CrazyRock
  • Member since: May. 13, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Movie Buff
Response to Treasure Hunt 2011 Oct. 14th, 2011 @ 02:06 PM Reply

Here is te list of all my enteries:

Movies:

Now Games:

Am i allowed to post more? :O


Thanks Chdonga for the signature. <3

BBS Signature
TomaO2
TomaO2
  • Member since: Apr. 15, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to Treasure Hunt 2011 Oct. 14th, 2011 @ 02:12 PM Reply

At 10/14/11 11:07 AM, cast wrote: I wish these treasure hunts were a bit more limited regarding how many 'gems' users are allowed to post. Maybe allow people 10 total? Maybe less, make them think about it and suggest submissions which they truly feel are REAL GEMS. It evens out the odd's and makes it more of a true contest. The way it's currently setup I could just compile a list of everything that fits your criteria, post, and the odd's would be on my side. I just feel like these massive lists go against the true purpose of these annual treasure hunts, which is finding quality submissions which deserve more attention than they have received, and not so much the prize. At this rate, this will be the last 'treasure hunt'.

As the person with th most massive post. let tell you that every one I added was a "Gem".
I spent all year on this list. I looked at at least 90% of every flashmovie that has a score of 3.00 or higher and added them to a gigantic list. I then comed through that list and took everything with 10k views. ONLY the 10k views (with 6 exceptions due to their oustanding quality) and put them up

Then I didn't just post them, oh no. I then went through the previous Gem competitions to weed out any finalists from previous years. I seperated them into game, movie and series categories. I listed the genres, did a write up, the manhours involved in this are massive and even then, at the end, I still made a couple mistake. PLUS, I am a year behind the rest of you. You all got an entire year's worth of flashes to submit that I'm not even touching, although I could cause I got lists for this year too.

I put more work into this then anyone elve by an order of magnetude so don't go claiming that a big list doesn't have "real gems" or was obviously not thought out. Plus, I only won once last year and I donated the money so your money argument falls on it's face where I am concerned. Like you what I want is some sadly neglected flashes to get more attention and that is what I am doing, year after year.


Collecting NG's undiscovered gems has been a hobby of mine since 2005. I am curently posting them on my blog.

Feel free to check them out and tell me what you think.

AudioVision
AudioVision
  • Member since: Sep. 27, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Musician
Response to Treasure Hunt 2011 Oct. 14th, 2011 @ 02:20 PM Reply

Yeah I feel like the exposure from this contest is a GOOD thing for an artist, jerkwad.


BBS Signature
PlasmaNuke
PlasmaNuke
  • Member since: Feb. 8, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Treasure Hunt 2011 Oct. 14th, 2011 @ 02:51 PM Reply

Games

Movies

DeftAndEvil
DeftAndEvil
  • Member since: Aug. 31, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Writer
Response to Treasure Hunt 2011 Oct. 14th, 2011 @ 02:52 PM Reply

At 10/14/11 02:12 PM, TomaO2 wrote:

As the person with th most massive post. let tell you that every one I added was a "Gem".
I spent all year on this list. I looked at at least 90% of every flashmovie that has a score of 3.00 or higher and added them to a gigantic list. I then comed through that list and took everything with 10k views. ONLY the 10k views (with 6 exceptions due to their oustanding quality) and put them up

This is hurting your argument. If this is true, then you are going for quantity, not quality. 3.00+/10k views is not the sole criteria for a "gem." I do assume you actually watched these flashes, or played those games, and spent time deliberating the worth of the game and whether it was truly underrated, instead of just separating them by numbers and adding them to your list regardless? As far as I can tell, much less than a third of your list has an actual opinion tied to it; rather, most of them just have synopses, but it is a ridiculous list, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you ran out of space/time.


Despite the name, I'm actually good--Deft, and good!

Giving out reviews to anyone who wants them (exception: poems. I'll find you).

BBS Signature
JoSilver
JoSilver
  • Member since: Sep. 21, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Melancholy
Response to Treasure Hunt 2011 Oct. 14th, 2011 @ 02:59 PM Reply

DJ4U
DJ4U
  • Member since: Mar. 18, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Treasure Hunt 2011 Oct. 14th, 2011 @ 05:01 PM Reply

Papage22
Papage22
  • Member since: Apr. 8, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Treasure Hunt 2011 Oct. 14th, 2011 @ 05:27 PM Reply

Brewster
Brewster
  • Member since: Jan. 26, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Animator
Response to Treasure Hunt 2011 Oct. 14th, 2011 @ 05:34 PM Reply


BBS Signature
TharosTheDragon
TharosTheDragon
  • Member since: Jul. 1, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 28
Programmer
Response to Treasure Hunt 2011 Oct. 14th, 2011 @ 07:10 PM Reply

At 10/13/11 03:24 PM, TomFulp wrote: A submission is considered undiscovered if:

1) It isn't part of a collection.
2) It has never been front paged, in which case it likely has less than 20,000 views.
At 10/13/11 03:40 PM, MOC-Productions wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/57 3023
I always felt this one deserved more attention.

*facepalm*


I got Flash CS4 in case you need something converted to CS3.

fa2mann
fa2mann
  • Member since: Apr. 21, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Gamer
Response to Treasure Hunt 2011 Oct. 14th, 2011 @ 07:27 PM Reply

A simple line 9

This one has some amazing parts.
Never seemed to understand why this didn't make it big.

Rabid-Animals
Rabid-Animals
  • Member since: Aug. 20, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 31
Animator
Response to Treasure Hunt 2011 Oct. 14th, 2011 @ 09:17 PM Reply

: I think I have the "Most Moronic with some Artistic Appeal" category locked down.


BBS Signature
Markface
Markface
  • Member since: Nov. 12, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 25
Animator
Response to Treasure Hunt 2011 Oct. 14th, 2011 @ 09:32 PM Reply

I'm sure I'll look through some old favourites of mine. I thought this year was only going to be gems from the last year?

Eh. Guess it's time to look at my favourites list again.


[;];=]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

BBS Signature
Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Member since: Jul. 17, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to Treasure Hunt 2011 Oct. 14th, 2011 @ 09:59 PM Reply

It has probably been front paged, but whatever, I'll try. Less than 40,000 views.

Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Member since: Jul. 17, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to Treasure Hunt 2011 Oct. 14th, 2011 @ 10:01 PM Reply

Found another one.

golfinho
golfinho
  • Member since: Mar. 15, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Treasure Hunt 2011 Oct. 14th, 2011 @ 10:59 PM Reply

BrocoliClock
BrocoliClock
  • Member since: Oct. 10, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Treasure Hunt 2011 Oct. 14th, 2011 @ 11:02 PM Reply

Awesome! I love Treasure Hunts! :DDD


Get me a beer.

BBS Signature
golfinho
golfinho
  • Member since: Mar. 15, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Treasure Hunt 2011 Oct. 14th, 2011 @ 11:15 PM Reply

At 10/14/11 11:02 PM, BrocoliClock wrote: Awesome! I love Treasure Hunts! :DDD

fag

Elevation10
Elevation10
  • Member since: Apr. 22, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Musician
Response to Treasure Hunt 2011 Oct. 14th, 2011 @ 11:19 PM Reply

TomaO2
TomaO2
  • Member since: Apr. 15, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to Treasure Hunt 2011 Oct. 14th, 2011 @ 11:28 PM Reply

At 10/14/11 02:52 PM, DeftAndEvil wrote:
This is hurting your argument. If this is true, then you are going for quantity, not quality. 3.00+/10k views is not the sole criteria for a "gem." I do assume you actually watched these flashes, or played those games, and spent time deliberating the worth of the game and whether it was truly underrated, instead of just separating them by numbers and adding them to your list regardless? As far as I can tell, much less than a third of your list has an actual opinion tied to it; rather, most of them just have synopses, but it is a ridiculous list, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you ran out of space/time.

Nope. Wrong. I go for quality. I watched everything on this list again and, yes, considered whether or not it was worthy of adding. I actually did make a few cuts. Also, if I was just looking at view numbers then I never would have added anything over 10k but I did. Why is that? It was because I wasn't just looking at the under 10k movies. I looked at all of them. and THAT list is very large, as you would see if you visited my blog. There are so many movies that come into Newgrounds that are great in so many ways. I vividly remember 3 movies I watched before I started making these lists and now they are gone. I can't remember the name, I can't find them. I never saved them so I will never see them again. This makes me sad. On the other hand I did manage to find one game that I thought was lost forever again. Now I have it on my list. It might be hard to find but it's there.

Sure, I have a lot of movies on it but what you don't fully appreciate is that there is 100-200 movies with a score of 3.00 or more every WEEK (a couple years ago it was over 200 many times). Every, single, one, was watched or, at least, glanced at, over the course of a year and I made a choice back then as to whether or not it was worthy of being watched again later on. If you did that, I bet you'd have a list as big as mine because there is just that much great stuff that gets submitted here, week after week. If you take that 100-200 list and pick 10-20 that are good (not difficult to manage), that adds up to 500-1000 flashes a YEAR!

All movies/games that I consider good are put in a list that goes on my blog. Everything In my blog is something I have enjoyed. For my first year doing this, I did write ups but I already put so much effort in that I just kinda burned out with the extra work. I consider the treasure hunt my day to really go over everything and to add some descriptions again.

You are correct that the reason that the write-ups are short is because of space limitations. I actually had much longer write-ups when I was first doing this but I had to cut back drastically because I don't get unlimited room to work with. I would have liked to cut the list back more but how do I decide what stays and what goes? Fact is, Tom and I have different views on what makes a worthy submission. Go back to the first Treasure Hunt. Everything I saw is somthing I personally labed as pure crap. I never ever would have added any of them to my list and that depressed me a lot at the time cause I thought I that what I liked would never make it in. Dispite that, I didn't stop collecting them. The fact is that this has been doing this long before the treasure hunt started and will continue if it stops. This is my hobby.

Now, I still could have pruned this list, in fact, I used to do just that. I used to prune it massively and because of this, I didn't add Mug Hug a flash has won the constest in a previous year. When I looked at that flash I said to myself, no, I like it but it's not good enough when compared to these other ones I have (none of which was even a finalist). It was very annoying to see it win. So, after having trimmed my lists by a huge amount for several years, I finally asked Tom what I should do? Should I trim the lists or add everything that I have personally enjoyed, even if by adding everything it would be over 100 flashes long?

You know what he said? He said to add them all. So I did. I added everything that I thought was cool or neat and you know... I even trimmed a couple from the list. This is what Tom wants. Find stuff that you like and add it. Add everything. It doesn't matter. Go crazy.

I do think though that some more hard rules could be in play. Like saying nothing more then 20k views or say something you like about each one. I can do that easy. I just thought descriptions are a bit better, generally. It also reminds me what the flash is about this way. I honestly believe that a person should do a write up for every movie put in. Which is why I did it, if I hadn't I would have saved myself hours of work, you know. HOURS!

PS. To the people that are complaining about the flash author not getting anything... Don't worry we go through this every year and Tom has always given them money. I don't know why he keeps pretending that he won't.


Collecting NG's undiscovered gems has been a hobby of mine since 2005. I am curently posting them on my blog.

Feel free to check them out and tell me what you think.

Aniqaz
Aniqaz
  • Member since: Feb. 27, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Treasure Hunt 2011 Oct. 14th, 2011 @ 11:56 PM Reply

Here's a few good cow flashes.

I also found this which is just great.

  • Rosie
    Rosie by Suncomes

    Click to view.

    Type
    Movie
    Rated
    Ages 13+

GodOfVideoGames
GodOfVideoGames
  • Member since: Feb. 26, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Game Developer
Response to Treasure Hunt 2011 Oct. 14th, 2011 @ 11:58 PM Reply

I can't believe this game went under the radar the way it did. It's living proof that you don't need a lot of work and fancy art to make an epic game.

nicksoul
nicksoul
  • Member since: Jul. 21, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Animator
Response to Treasure Hunt 2011 Oct. 15th, 2011 @ 12:08 AM Reply

  • Fome!
    Fome! by peixeaquatico

    Click to view.

    Type
    Movie
    Rated
    Everyone
  • Sonic Art Collab
    Sonic Art Collab by peixeaquatico

    Click to view.

    Type
    Movie
    Rated
    Ages 17+

I don't know if can this animation but whatever...

  • Sonic Chaos
    Sonic Chaos by golfinho

    Click to view.

    Type
    Movie
    Rated
    Ages 17+
  • Game Boy
    Game Boy by heaven-e-hell

    Click to view.

    Type
    Movie
    Rated
    Adults Only

tjetjj
tjetjj
  • Member since: Mar. 2, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Treasure Hunt 2011 Oct. 15th, 2011 @ 12:08 AM Reply

I love this game. I wonder why it never got populat?

goldleader23
goldleader23
  • Member since: Aug. 29, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 32
Game Developer
Response to Treasure Hunt 2011 Oct. 15th, 2011 @ 01:22 AM Reply

At 10/13/11 09:50 PM, TomaO2 wrote:

:TEXTreme Adventure Text. In the old days, no one needed graphics.

Hey, thanks! :)


We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time -TS Eliot-

JaShinYa
JaShinYa
  • Member since: Jul. 7, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Voice Actor
Response to Treasure Hunt 2011 Oct. 15th, 2011 @ 01:51 AM Reply

Has an award but under 20000 views:


Like Let's Plays? Click Down Below... *Winky Face*

BBS Signature
DJFry
DJFry
  • Member since: Apr. 27, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Animator
Response to Treasure Hunt 2011 Oct. 15th, 2011 @ 02:18 AM Reply

RE4 - the missing scenes

DeadBroadcast
DeadBroadcast
  • Member since: Jun. 23, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Animator
Response to Treasure Hunt 2011 Oct. 15th, 2011 @ 03:08 AM Reply

  • Payphone Ad
    Payphone Ad by ClichedCrusader

    Click to view.

    Type
    Movie
    Rated
    Ages 13+

Totally not just posting this here because I made it...
...and because all you fuckers ignored it because it was swallowed by a tidal wave of Madness Day 2011 flash.


My Sex Appeal is Mythical
My Youtube Channel