00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

BrunoVugl just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Treasure Hunt 2011

67,128 Views | 230 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Treasure Hunt 2011 2011-10-14 22:01:54

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to Treasure Hunt 2011 2011-10-14 22:59:24

Response to Treasure Hunt 2011 2011-10-14 23:15:02

At 10/14/11 11:02 PM, BrocoliClock wrote: Awesome! I love Treasure Hunts! :DDD

fag

Response to Treasure Hunt 2011 2011-10-14 23:28:48

At 10/14/11 02:52 PM, DeftAndEvil wrote:
This is hurting your argument. If this is true, then you are going for quantity, not quality. 3.00+/10k views is not the sole criteria for a "gem." I do assume you actually watched these flashes, or played those games, and spent time deliberating the worth of the game and whether it was truly underrated, instead of just separating them by numbers and adding them to your list regardless? As far as I can tell, much less than a third of your list has an actual opinion tied to it; rather, most of them just have synopses, but it is a ridiculous list, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you ran out of space/time.

Nope. Wrong. I go for quality. I watched everything on this list again and, yes, considered whether or not it was worthy of adding. I actually did make a few cuts. Also, if I was just looking at view numbers then I never would have added anything over 10k but I did. Why is that? It was because I wasn't just looking at the under 10k movies. I looked at all of them. and THAT list is very large, as you would see if you visited my blog. There are so many movies that come into Newgrounds that are great in so many ways. I vividly remember 3 movies I watched before I started making these lists and now they are gone. I can't remember the name, I can't find them. I never saved them so I will never see them again. This makes me sad. On the other hand I did manage to find one game that I thought was lost forever again. Now I have it on my list. It might be hard to find but it's there.

Sure, I have a lot of movies on it but what you don't fully appreciate is that there is 100-200 movies with a score of 3.00 or more every WEEK (a couple years ago it was over 200 many times). Every, single, one, was watched or, at least, glanced at, over the course of a year and I made a choice back then as to whether or not it was worthy of being watched again later on. If you did that, I bet you'd have a list as big as mine because there is just that much great stuff that gets submitted here, week after week. If you take that 100-200 list and pick 10-20 that are good (not difficult to manage), that adds up to 500-1000 flashes a YEAR!

All movies/games that I consider good are put in a list that goes on my blog. Everything In my blog is something I have enjoyed. For my first year doing this, I did write ups but I already put so much effort in that I just kinda burned out with the extra work. I consider the treasure hunt my day to really go over everything and to add some descriptions again.

You are correct that the reason that the write-ups are short is because of space limitations. I actually had much longer write-ups when I was first doing this but I had to cut back drastically because I don't get unlimited room to work with. I would have liked to cut the list back more but how do I decide what stays and what goes? Fact is, Tom and I have different views on what makes a worthy submission. Go back to the first Treasure Hunt. Everything I saw is somthing I personally labed as pure crap. I never ever would have added any of them to my list and that depressed me a lot at the time cause I thought I that what I liked would never make it in. Dispite that, I didn't stop collecting them. The fact is that this has been doing this long before the treasure hunt started and will continue if it stops. This is my hobby.

Now, I still could have pruned this list, in fact, I used to do just that. I used to prune it massively and because of this, I didn't add Mug Hug a flash has won the constest in a previous year. When I looked at that flash I said to myself, no, I like it but it's not good enough when compared to these other ones I have (none of which was even a finalist). It was very annoying to see it win. So, after having trimmed my lists by a huge amount for several years, I finally asked Tom what I should do? Should I trim the lists or add everything that I have personally enjoyed, even if by adding everything it would be over 100 flashes long?

You know what he said? He said to add them all. So I did. I added everything that I thought was cool or neat and you know... I even trimmed a couple from the list. This is what Tom wants. Find stuff that you like and add it. Add everything. It doesn't matter. Go crazy.

I do think though that some more hard rules could be in play. Like saying nothing more then 20k views or say something you like about each one. I can do that easy. I just thought descriptions are a bit better, generally. It also reminds me what the flash is about this way. I honestly believe that a person should do a write up for every movie put in. Which is why I did it, if I hadn't I would have saved myself hours of work, you know. HOURS!

PS. To the people that are complaining about the flash author not getting anything... Don't worry we go through this every year and Tom has always given them money. I don't know why he keeps pretending that he won't.

Collecting NG's undiscovered gems has been a hobby of mine since 2005. I am curently posting them on my blog.

Feel free to check them out and tell me what you think.

Response to Treasure Hunt 2011 2011-10-14 23:58:29

I can't believe this game went under the radar the way it did. It's living proof that you don't need a lot of work and fancy art to make an epic game.

Response to Treasure Hunt 2011 2011-10-15 00:08:21

I don't know if can this animation but whatever...

Response to Treasure Hunt 2011 2011-10-15 00:08:59

Response to Treasure Hunt 2011 2011-10-15 01:22:07

At 10/13/11 09:50 PM, TomaO2 wrote:

:TEXTreme Adventure Text. In the old days, no one needed graphics.

Hey, thanks! :)

We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time -TS Eliot-

Response to Treasure Hunt 2011 2011-10-15 01:51:16

Response to Treasure Hunt 2011 2011-10-15 02:18:22

Response to Treasure Hunt 2011 2011-10-15 03:13:56

Response to Treasure Hunt 2011 2011-10-15 03:25:50

Hadouken!

Hahaha, oh my god.....

Aside from that here's Ryu beating up fat Albert.

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to Treasure Hunt 2011 2011-10-15 04:18:27

Give Green Thumb Greg a serious go..I think you'll get addicted. There's a few others too..

Green Thumb Greg
Greg is mowing his way through town, unlocking new houses and buying upgrades along the way!
(this one takes a minute to load)

Freeway Frenzy
Speed through enemies and obstacles in this addictive driving game! Choose from over 20 cars!
(do you miss the Mako from Mass Effect? Yeah..you can find it here)

Fritz in Space
Aliens are abducting all the local animals, and it's up to Fritz to stop them! Avoid enemies and dangerous obstacles as you climb your way into space!

FREEWAY FRENZY

Speed through enemies and obstacles in this addictive driving game! Choose from over 20 cars!

BBS Signature

Response to Treasure Hunt 2011 2011-10-15 04:26:54

a question.

Do you have to watch them or can you just recommend them by reading the description?

XBL: Taillesspack819 Send a Friend Request if u want :D

BBS Signature

Response to Treasure Hunt 2011 2011-10-15 04:46:55

At 10/15/11 04:26 AM, jonathanfis wrote: a question.

Do you have to watch them or can you just recommend them by reading the description?

BBS Signature

Response to Treasure Hunt 2011 2011-10-15 05:19:58

MOOOOAR!

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/48 1311 < 5th Daily Feature but under 20 000 views

BBS Signature

Response to Treasure Hunt 2011 2011-10-15 05:19:58

MOOOOAR!

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/48 1311 < 5th Daily Feature but under 20 000 views

BBS Signature

Response to Treasure Hunt 2011 2011-10-15 06:25:44

and...

... are my suggestions.

I'd also like to suggest Armadah, he's an animator who hasn't had a whole lot of his work appreciated. Rather funny, messed up and indecent like the Newgrounds community needs.

He has some quality stuff, so you can probably find some gems in there.

[;];=]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

BBS Signature

Response to Treasure Hunt 2011 2011-10-15 06:36:38

hey tom

Response to Treasure Hunt 2011 2011-10-15 08:43:03

I thought this was excellent: Unique

BBS Signature

Response to Treasure Hunt 2011 2011-10-15 10:28:55

Response to Treasure Hunt 2011 2011-10-15 11:50:58

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/57 6541 Alright, "The Machine Planet" is my suggestion!

Is it true?

Response to Treasure Hunt 2011 2011-10-15 12:13:37

At 10/15/11 01:22 AM, goldleader23 wrote:
At 10/13/11 09:50 PM, TomaO2 wrote: TEXTreme Adventure Text. In the old days, no one needed graphics.
Hey, thanks! :)

You are welcome. It's always gratifying when an author of a game notices that I put it it. Usually they don't unless it's a finalist. Heh. I have to admit I never finished that game but I have a bit of a soft spot for text only games, liked how made sure you keep the commands simple and though the dialogue was good.

At 10/15/11 04:26 AM, jonathanfis wrote: a question.

NO, you have to watch it. Every time you post something, Tom has to watch it and you think it's okay just to post random crap without looking at it yourself???

Have a bit of sentitivity. If something it really bad, do NOT submit it. You can't just add random titles without giving it a look over yourself. You are your own quality control. Tom is doing this contest for us so don't abuse it.

1. Check title views, to make sure not many people have watched it. Under 20k views at least, best is 15k views or less.

2. Make sure that it was made on or after January 1st 2007

3. watch the flash and decide if there is something worthwhile about it.

4. If it is before October 2010, then check previous contest finalists to make sure it wasn't a finalist back then.

Collecting NG's undiscovered gems has been a hobby of mine since 2005. I am curently posting them on my blog.

Feel free to check them out and tell me what you think.

Response to Treasure Hunt 2011 2011-10-15 13:05:04

Response to Treasure Hunt 2011 2011-10-15 14:58:10

I'll guess i have to do some movie watching tommorow and pick out the movies i like :D

BBS Signature