00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

LOCKdev just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Winds of Change

74,987 Views | 439 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-20 14:47:12

At 12/10/10 11:25 AM, doondeka wrote: oh the times they are a changin!

LOL isn't that a song?

Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-21 01:48:00

for anyone looking for free photos that are royalty-free to use in their animations, www.sxc.hu is a great place

Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-21 19:48:09

Sry to say this, but this is bullshit.
Who owns the web? The internet isn't from some company.
There isn't something like an internet police, right?
If you download illegal music and add it to a movie, it's wrong.
But if you paid for it, it is also forbidden to use it in a movie?...

n

Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-22 12:36:07

Chances are you won't read this, and I'm probably gonna come off a bit dick-ish when I say this.

But the times aren't changing, you are. American's have always been greedy bastards who'd sue for the stupidest shit. If I remember right, you use to make games about beating up celebrities, and if anyone had a problem with it, you'd reply with a smart ass uncaring comment.

Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-22 16:53:11

At 12/22/10 12:36 PM, Fuck-division wrote: Chances are you won't read this, and I'm probably gonna come off a bit dick-ish when I say this.

But the times aren't changing, you are. American's have always been greedy bastards who'd sue for the stupidest shit. If I remember right, you use to make games about beating up celebrities, and if anyone had a problem with it, you'd reply with a smart ass uncaring comment.

This is so true.
What will they do when people still use copyrighted pictures and audio? Will they send you straight to jail or something like that?

n

Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-22 17:07:26

Also fuck the people who think Tom is right, because he is Tom.

n

Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-25 06:29:25

At 12/22/10 05:07 PM, killer34578 wrote: Also fuck the people who think Tom is right, because he is Tom.

The people who know Tom is right are creators. People who understand that intellectual property has value. The people I see getting pissed about this "change" are mostly untalented hacks, spammers and angsty kids who regularly use stolen copyrighted material in their work... if they have any work at all. This isn't a fight against unjust laws created by The Man this is about artists being able to protect their creations from theft/rape.

It's not even a change, it was a reminder/warning to those ignorant of a very common concept.
The concept of "it's not ok to take shit that ain't yours without permission". A concept backed by laws. Read it, dummies.

If you really want to use something created by someone else, contact them and ask permission. If you're denied, well that's too bad, find something else... there is no shortage of music/art/characters/stories/creative shit of all kinds on this planet. There's someone out there willing to let you use their stuff for cheap/free.

I ruined 3 monitors trying to write my name in this box.

Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-25 13:34:30

At 12/21/10 07:48 PM, killer34578 wrote: Sry to say this, but this is bullshit.
Who owns the web? The internet isn't from some company.
There isn't something like an internet police, right?
If you download illegal music and add it to a movie, it's wrong.
But if you paid for it, it is also forbidden to use it in a movie?...

You paid for it just to listen to it, not to use it in something else. If you want to use it in a movie, pay some extra cash and ask for permission, plox.

At 12/22/10 05:07 PM, killer34578 wrote: Also fuck the people who think Tom is right, because he is Tom.

I wouln't give a fuck even if he was the fucking pope. He's right, no matter who the fuck he is.

At 12/25/10 06:29 AM, TheElSalvador wrote:
The people who know Tom is right are creators. People who understand that intellectual property has value. The people I see getting pissed about this "change" are mostly untalented hacks, spammers and angsty kids who regularly use stolen copyrighted material in their work... if they have any work at all. This isn't a fight against unjust laws created by The Man this is about artists being able to protect their creations from theft/rape.

It's not even a change, it was a reminder/warning to those ignorant of a very common concept.
The concept of "it's not ok to take shit that ain't yours without permission". A concept backed by laws. Read it, dummies.

If you really want to use something created by someone else, contact them and ask permission. If you're denied, well that's too bad, find something else... there is no shortage of music/art/characters/stories/creative shit of all kinds on this planet. There's someone out there willing to let you use their stuff for cheap/free.

Hmm... my '^This' button seems to be broken... still, +1k internets for you.

Still, I know there are Twilight forums with more posting options than the NG BBS.

My gallery

BBS Signature

Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-25 13:50:07

Oh my God I'm frightened of change. My free speech is so limited. The corporations have won, Tom is such a wuss for giving in to their threats which are backed by law. Fight to the bitter end we'll be like sparta.

"Animation is not the art of drawings that move, but the art of movements that are drawn." -Norman McLaren

Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-25 13:57:11

At 12/22/10 12:36 PM, Fuck-division wrote: Chances are you won't read this, and I'm probably gonna come off a bit dick-ish when I say this.

But the times aren't changing, you are.

Yeah, the RIAA haven't become any more concerned with copyright law in the last 10 years.

American's have always been greedy bastards who'd sue for the stupidest shit. If I remember right, you use to make games about beating up celebrities, and if anyone had a problem with it, you'd reply with a smart ass uncaring comment.

If he got a comment from a regular jack-off, he'd give a smart-ass comment. Tom has routinely yielded to corporations.

And who cares? After a decade do you really want to see this site disappear because court costs over a Hannah Montana lawsuit financially ruined Newgrounds? All it takes is one lawsuit, frivolous or not.

Even if it has no basis, these lawyers know how to draw out the process and make it cost more. Then we'll have even bigger front page ads.

Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-26 12:43:42

Now entering Newgrounds, a Fair Use free zone.

Its one thing to encourage and inform users to use and create as much content as possible, but to not only ignore Fair Use and actively work against it... that's appalling. This is the absolute worst path a user content site can take. Fair Use exists for a reason, and its pretty clear with this move that they care more about catering to other companies and what they thing of Newgrounds over their users.

At this point if you continue to support Newgrounds, then you support broken copyright law and the monopolistic corporations that wrote it.

Thank you Newgrounds for many years of great work, I have especially loved your Audio Portal, but this is one move that is unacceptable, and I hope that others realize what a dangerous and slippery slope this is. Sure people worry about net neutrality, but the content mafia is a far more real threat that is already hurting tens of thousands of every day consumers across the entire western world.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-26 15:24:48

well, now that that's over with...
WHO WANTS TO SPOON?

LETS ALL GO STREAKING!!!!

BBS Signature

Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-27 11:03:44

At 12/26/10 12:43 PM, rayblasdel wrote: Now entering Newgrounds, a Fair Use free zone.

You have no idea what Fair Use means in copyright law. Look it up.

Your 'either with us or against us' attitude on supporting Newgrounds is what causes no progress to be made.

Newgrounds supports creating original works and releasing them under creative commons liscencing. It's about picking battles big enough to matter but small enough to win. If we try to stick by our guns, these corporations have more than enough ammunition to take them down. If we work to make copyright laws obsolete we take the teeth from the lion.

Use your head. If you think the only way to fight against a law you don't agree with is to break it, you're an idiot.

Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-28 19:02:43

Hey Tom,

I'm sure you answered these kinds of questions somewhere in the post but what about using copyrighted music not for profit? or crediting them? wouldnt the idea of giving them credit would have people go " oh what a cool song, im gonna hear the rest of it on youtube " thus giving them a bit more views, fame and money since a majority themselves are sponsored. and of course if anybody, we'd ask for permission to use the song from the band/ composer who made it, but would they give time to reply to just average internet users? probably, maybe, its possible, but uncommon and takes a long long time.

a great number of submissions here on newgrounds, have been using copyrighted music. but of course i'll be told " whatever, risk it if you want a lawsuit ". no that is obviously not what i want, nor what i want for the site to have to deal with. i understand its " everything by everyone", that i can absolutly agree with, but wouldnt anybody want to use copyrighted music at one point in their flashes? those who use copyrighted music can choose not to use the API and instead give them credit? is it posssible to lessen chance of being a lawsuit this way. or is the music industry that strict on its copyrights? all the more it sucks having to lessen the use of copyright music but a nice idea to increase originality. just can't we have both?

Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-28 19:07:00

sorry to double post, but i'd like to add that flashes here in general are for entertainment purposes aren't they? so, what if we put up a disclaimer in our flashes stating that "what ever songs, pics, quotes are used in the flash are for for entertainment purposes only ". yeah just a bit more of wishful thinking.

Response to Winds of Change 2011-02-27 05:21:53

At 12/10/10 11:20 AM, TomFulp wrote: Newgrounds will be a better place if everyone here learns to work together instead of turning outward for resources.

If so, than why do I need to be registered in websites other than Newgrounds to earn Newgrounds medals? Shouldn't an NG account be all I need to earn some NG medals? Why do we need to turn to other websites?

Response to Winds of Change 2011-07-11 03:40:45

So animators like Munglai wouldn't be allowed to make stuff like Fruit, winner of Clock Day 2009?

Response to Winds of Change 2019-01-02 17:43:43

At 12/10/10 11:20 AM, TomFulp wrote: I want everyone who creates content to read this post very carefully and take it very seriously.

The next time you are inspired to make an animation about a cool song you heard on the radio, DON'T, unless you are comfortable with the idea of only sharing it with yourself and a few close friends. Otherwise, take that inspiration and find a song you have permission to use. There are thousands of artists in the Audio Portal who are available for that sort of thing, as well as independent artists across the web who can be contacted for permission.

The next time you need art for your game or movie, DO NOT image search Google and grab something from the results. Many of those items are registered with enforcement agencies that will levy strict penalties for unlicensed use.

I know the web and Newgrounds have been like the wild west, but times are changing.

Newgrounds will be a better place if everyone here learns to work together instead of turning outward for resources. If you need a background, song, title screen, etc., someone here can help you with it. We will continue to work to make that easier, because there is no alternative.

If you are starting a project now and hope to be featured on NG when you're done, keep this post in mind. Content featuring original art and audio will be king. Parodies are still fair game and part of our culture, but you've probably already noticed only a handful of sprite movies have made front page this year.

Also dicks are still ok.

--- BREAKING NEWS ---

If you live in or near Philadelphia, don't miss your chance to visit Bob at the Punk Rock Flea Market tomorrow, Saturday, December 11th. Print out his blog post and bring it in exchange for a $5 Penicorn!

Much the better for it, IMO. The Dragons & Spirits have always favoured these ideas and I tend to score and review with the same values :)

We are the Dragons & Spirits. We are friendly people. Best Wishes, Ice!

BBS Signature

Response to Winds of Change 2019-06-23 05:38:05

At 12/13/10 07:19 PM, redminus wrote:
At 12/11/10 01:24 PM, YChang wrote: Notice how all the people who make good stuff are happy about more original content, while all the people who make shitty stuff are like 'wait wut but why can't i use sprite sheets from google to make my waste of space animations'
I wonder how many of the butthurt kids cryfacing about their "right" to gank and use shit that isn't theirs even own legal copies of Flash in the first place?
I've never really understood why someone WOULDN'T want to make something with entirely original content, I mean I get that sometimes people are inspired by or get ideas from things that they see/hear elsewhere, but wouldn't you still be able to take more pride in something knowing that you and/or people you worked directly with created all of the content together?

Also, Alvin-Earthworm is going to be crushed.
That is all.

Says the guy who has ridden on the coattails of Pokemon and Nyan Cat.

Response to Winds of Change 2020-08-20 15:42:32 (edited 2020-08-20 15:43:50)

At 12/10/10 08:50 PM, Pikanjo wrote: Next time, on Perfect Kirby...

:UwU PK4” will probably be beautiful when it finally gets finished because I saw some of what would be in it