Respond to this Topic
Eammy
Eammy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Artist
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 11th, 2010 @ 04:57 AM Reply

IN THE LONG RUN, ORIGINALITY WILL ALWAYS BEAT RIPOFFS AND PARODIES.

iX
iX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Melancholy
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 11th, 2010 @ 05:03 AM Reply

I've taken the liberty of translating Tom's post:

"A whole shitton of lawyers just threatened to drop a bridge on us if you punks don't stop submitting your tweened crap with shoehorned music that you downloaded from iTunes. Stop it."

GiantDouche
GiantDouche
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 11th, 2010 @ 05:07 AM Reply

So I should probably take this down then?

amplefied
amplefied
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 11th, 2010 @ 06:28 AM Reply

I think some don't realize that it's not a question of copyright, but a question of originality. Time to start evolving yourself artistically and work on that self expression. Which is not an easy process, but like all endeavors rewarding.

Trygon
Trygon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 11th, 2010 @ 06:35 AM Reply

I came for Fearless Leader showing us our future course.

I stayed for Mindchamber trolling.

Ani-x
Ani-x
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Animator
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 11th, 2010 @ 07:47 AM Reply

At 12/11/10 06:28 AM, amplefied wrote: I think some don't realize that it's not a question of copyright, but a question of originality. Time to start evolving yourself artistically and work on that self expression. Which is not an easy process, but like all endeavors rewarding.

Yup. Exactly.
You have to figure out inside why you do it, and what drives you.
Me, I can hear a song and make my own story to it, some times i even want to take that vision and make it a moving realty and even try to convey my feelings through a new story with the song.
I will continue to do so, as i dont care about my BA, my fame nor if i get front paged.
I do things i want to on my free time, because well...its my life and my time.

I think thats hard for allot of people. If you care so much on your score and how people think, you may find you are left a bit short by the outcome.

This new news does not effect me one bit, In fact i plan to keep on keeping on, as im completely happy with just showing my self and friends.
I dont want impress no one, so i dont feel stifled one bit.

As much as i do love the audio portal, it does not give me the same emotions or inspiration as some songs do(its also mostly all English)

Im a big fan of art and a huge music enthusiast,
So i see things like "Dare" and even Luis tribute to the def tone song as great things.

Point is, figure out what drives you you spend the countless hours on a animation and tribute.
If its for fame or "cool" then re evaluate why you do it.

Me i have storys and messages to tell, and I will keep on keeping on. If it has to be done with a audio portal song or a pro, does not matter to me. I care less if it gets front paged or sits in my profile, or on youtube. all same to me.

Drawing without thinking is just doodling, the brain and pen is connected.
PSN: SeoulSnake

BBS Signature
RobertClock
RobertClock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 37
Animator
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 11th, 2010 @ 07:58 AM Reply

This day is a sad day for the internet as a whole.

BBS Signature
Murray
Murray
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 57
Audiophile
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 11th, 2010 @ 08:07 AM Reply

Actually, RazorHawk and Gagsy bring up some interesting points. You'll be surprised at how people discover bands just from these flash animations. When I was originally a genre mod last year well before it was even announced publicly, I tackled the Radiohead collection and I bought some of their albums ON CD after hearing some songs I really liked. If I never went through the Radiohead collection, I don't think I'd have bothered with Radiohead at all. Still, despite these ways one can get into an artist, I'd rather have the site be on the safe side.

At 12/11/10 02:17 AM, SeeD419 wrote: My question is, if copyright is such a big issue, why doesn't Youtube have any issues?

Youtube is the epitome of copyright infringement and theft....

You mean you didn't hear about WMG going apeshit over every single video that used a song of theirs? They went to the point where they had videos muted just for someone using a song they own. It's settled down since and any songs that have a copyrighted song are easily claimed by the copyright owner. Some of my videos have copyright claim for the music I used (even though one of them had William Tell Overture, lol) but my videos still remain. All that happens is having no statistics for the video showing up as well as an ad showing up occasionally. Asides from that, no problems for me.

[ BBS / Icon / Portal Möd ] - [ Facebook - Twitter ]
Formerly Bahamut

Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Audiophile
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 11th, 2010 @ 08:34 AM Reply

At 12/11/10 08:07 AM, Bahamut wrote: Actually, RazorHawk and Gagsy bring up some interesting points. You'll be surprised at how people discover bands just from these flash animations. When I was originally a genre mod last year well before it was even announced publicly, I tackled the Radiohead collection and I bought some of their albums ON CD after hearing some songs I really liked. If I never went through the Radiohead collection, I don't think I'd have bothered with Radiohead at all. Still, despite these ways one can get into an artist, I'd rather have the site be on the safe side.

Actually mine was the other way around.

At the time I was in love with the band Franz Ferdinand, especially that song. A girl I used to chat to online back then linked me to the flash because she knew I loved that song so much. I watched the flash, enjoyed it and discovered a new gaming site that I would enjoy. A few months after that I eventually joined when I discovered the forums =P

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature
Jon
Jon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 11th, 2010 @ 08:53 AM Reply

At 12/11/10 02:17 AM, SeeD419 wrote: My question is, if copyright is such a big issue, why doesn't Youtube have any issues?

I really hope this post isn't serious. The issues with YouTube and copyrighted material are terrible.

hello

10JD
10JD
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 11th, 2010 @ 08:59 AM Reply

At 12/10/10 05:44 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 12/10/10 04:58 PM, Rig wrote: This site needs a sort of job-search feature.
Have one in mind... Not enough programmers. :(

How bout not enough animators ;) Assemble an animation studio! We could do it Tom!

Hi

lukegreencubeco
lukegreencubeco
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 17
Filmmaker
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 11th, 2010 @ 09:00 AM Reply

i'm cool with this :D i use abit of video game music in my flashes but at the same time i use alot of audio portal music, there are some amazing pieces of work in there. just by searching one word for what kind of sound your looking for will give you loads of results and you'd be suprised what you find

one problem is (well i have this problem at least) if you PM people asking for help (music,voice acting, art ect ) they will often ignore you if your not a "BIG" artist on newgrounds, i know this is only a small percentage of the people here but it does get annoying lol

but apart from that this is a postive step forward :D

why did the man fall off his bike? cause someone through a fridge at him ....

10JD
10JD
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 11th, 2010 @ 09:02 AM Reply

At 12/11/10 02:58 AM, MindChamber wrote:

Because newgrounds is not google.

Not to add they DO have copyright issues, they have had issues since like 2007.

Hi

Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 11th, 2010 @ 09:13 AM Reply

Well, I'm not going to complain that Newgrounds is angling more towards self-sufficiency then anything else. Times are certainly a-changing, any owned material is touchy material.

PBass
PBass
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Animator
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 11th, 2010 @ 09:39 AM Reply

Yeah, using music in your flash animations promotes the artists and increases sales. All the more reason to promote an independant artist.

"Animation is not the art of drawings that move, but the art of movements that are drawn." -Norman McLaren

Wolfos
Wolfos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 11th, 2010 @ 09:49 AM Reply

Just to clarify to some stupid posts I've seen in the fora:
NO! Owning a CD does not give you the rights to use it in your Flashes unless the CD was made with that specific purpose!

matt-likes-swords
matt-likes-swords
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 11th, 2010 @ 10:05 AM Reply

Having a collection of free sound effects on Newgrounds would be an amazing idea.
A lot of the sound effects I use are from Zelda and stuff, and I'd rather stop using those eventually.
But at the same time it's not a huge deal since I don't think vidya game companies care too much.

It's a shame about sprites getting phased out though, I used to really like those when I was a kid.

\(o_O)/

BBS Signature
Ninjkabat
Ninjkabat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Animator
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 11th, 2010 @ 10:17 AM Reply

While I don't think all submissions that use pre-created music or characters are inherently flawed, I will admit that I'd be stoked to see this place become completely self-sustaining and original.

-The Ninjkabat: Cartoonist, Animator, VA, Japanese speaker, and Ninja all rolled into one.
Twitter | Google+ | deviantArt

BBS Signature
Nikelessor
Nikelessor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 11th, 2010 @ 10:24 AM Reply

At 12/10/10 11:36 AM, omegared wrote: So gay! The internet should be a free play zone for content. Does this have to do with that fucking wiki leaks guy? Or are all sites just getting shit? And who's giving the, shit?

Yeah originality is the way to go, but this is gonna be harmful to what NG stands for. Plus the user base is all amateur and very young. So to insist that content be all made by the owner or from here is even more difficult.

All in all it's just too bad. Or maybe good? I don't know.

It's called Copyright, and it started with private servers like habbo-retros and is now with an stick image.

juansolous
juansolous
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Gamer
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 11th, 2010 @ 10:27 AM Reply

Well as a user who hadn't really put anything out yet but seen many flash movies, I really like more originality. I love to see originality in flash movies, it makes me want to vote 5 and want to see more of your work.

I love hunting for Blam points!!!

BBS Signature
MoRGoT1-1
MoRGoT1-1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Gamer
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 11th, 2010 @ 10:30 AM Reply

At 12/10/10 11:20 AM, TomFulp wrote: I want everyone who creates content to read this post very carefully and take it very seriously.

The next time you are inspired to make an animation about a cool song you heard on the radio, DON'T, unless you are comfortable with the idea of only sharing it with yourself and a few close friends. Otherwise, take that inspiration and find a song you have permission to use. There are thousands of artists in the Audio Portal who are available for that sort of thing, as well as independent artists across the web who can be contacted for permission.

The next time you need art for your game or movie, DO NOT image search Google and grab something from the results. Many of those items are registered with enforcement agencies that will levy strict penalties for unlicensed use.

I know the web and Newgrounds have been like the wild west, but times are changing.

Newgrounds will be a better place if everyone here learns to work together instead of turning outward for resources. If you need a background, song, title screen, etc., someone here can help you with it. We will continue to work to make that easier, because there is no alternative.

If you are starting a project now and hope to be featured on NG when you're done, keep this post in mind. Content featuring original art and audio will be king. Parodies are still fair game and part of our culture, but you've probably already noticed only a handful of sprite movies have made front page this year.

I could not agree more with all of that, i like ORIGINAL content, i'd rather watch a stick fight with music compose by the animator rather then watch a sprite animation (some are cool though) with music from a popular band!

Whats the point of coming to newgrounds if not to discover talent and to see something NEW not a slideshow of picture taken god knows where with music found here and there!

Cry while training to laugh on the battlefield

thelastryan
thelastryan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Animator
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 11th, 2010 @ 10:45 AM Reply

At 12/11/10 01:34 AM, Stamper wrote: hey guys i think i need a new dick mine has a hole in it lmfao

pls continue

Has the same problem with my face.

It's thelastryan! Not famous yet, but working on it. Woo!

TeHLoY
TeHLoY
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 11th, 2010 @ 10:46 AM Reply

Anyone who wants original music can simply drop a thread on the audio portal.
Tons of audio artists are desperate to get their audio onto flashes, and many offer to make custom music for free.

You'd be doing us a favor too, as most of us already lack exposure and want to try to get our music out as much as possible. The audio portal is already so inactive...

Everyone has a sig... Except me. :(

Evil-Dog
Evil-Dog
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Game Developer
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 11th, 2010 @ 12:22 PM Reply

Original content FTW!!!

chaosportalfilms
chaosportalfilms
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 11th, 2010 @ 12:29 PM Reply

At 12/10/10 11:47 AM, AngelofPeace wrote: Fuck this shit. Maybe you all aren't aware of the "fair use" clause in the copyright law which basically says you can't use someone else's work for lucrative purposes, but you my use it for instructional and other non-profit ends.

Fair use is an extremely complicated and dangerous battleground. My recommendation is not to use it unless you have no other choice. There are so many restrictions and guidelines that don't necessarily all make sense in reference to one another. It's a lot safer to just use either Creative Commons or
Public Domain performances.

chaosportalfilms
chaosportalfilms
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 11th, 2010 @ 12:31 PM Reply

Maybe we should also include a tags system in the audio portal so that animators can find music with a specific mood or feel.

GeoffEdwardsdotca
GeoffEdwardsdotca
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 11th, 2010 @ 12:35 PM Reply

At 12/10/10 11:20 AM, TomFulp wrote: "I want everyone who creates content to read this post very carefully and take it very seriously. If you need a background, song, title screen, etc., someone here can help you with it. We will continue to work to make that easier, because there is no alternative."

Right on! Plagiarism sucks. There are some really talented musicians right here on NG. Collaboration makes it happen. ; )

Geoff Edwards

Winds of Change

Abracadabra123
Abracadabra123
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Filmmaker
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 11th, 2010 @ 12:43 PM Reply

So any flash movies/games using sprites from video games like Super Mario Bros, Final Fantasy, Street Fighters ... are over. Right?

Sorry for double post. There is no edit button in this forum.

Hyrus
Hyrus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 11th, 2010 @ 01:03 PM Reply

Search tags for audio submissions.

If you're serious about us using the audio portal for our flash works, Tom, we need to be able to search for the right sounds in music. Looking through the top rated for a genre, or searching through titles and (often times underutilized) descriptions takes fucking hours of sifting through sounds that aren't remotely close to what we wanted.

For instance, I made a submission for picoday this year. I was making a sniping game with the tankmen, so I wanted something that sounded a bit like a spy theme, but it also had to be quiet and tense. Spy, sneak, sleuth, detective, stealth, tension, risk. Those are the words I should have been able to search for with tags. Instead, I have to hope that someone uses those words in a title or somewhere in the description. Still, someone might put "spy" in the description for a song that happens to be an action song. For my submission, I had to settle for something different after hours of searches.

It's nearly 2011; advanced search query shouldn't be an issue holding back the audio portal. Even the most shoddy of places on the net have it.

BBS Signature
MasterMerol
MasterMerol
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 11th, 2010 @ 01:18 PM Reply

At 12/10/10 12:53 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 12/10/10 12:34 PM, Pesticide wrote: I'm guessing the music videos section is going to be cleared out then?
There is a level of risk we have been willing to take to preserve NG's past, but the problem needs to stop growing.

May we keep the music videos collection, but keeping it as a secret item? I don't know.... it may work?

Who are you looking for? What are you looking at?
A light? a star. A boat? an insect. A plane? a flying fish

BBS Signature