Respond to this Topic
FireWOLF109
FireWOLF109
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 12th, 2010 @ 02:05 PM Reply

At 12/12/10 01:25 PM, metaknightsword wrote: letter by metaknight Hello newgrounds members reading thes crap my name is metaknightsword / crap not fucking realy so i need help members of newgrounds i need help how to make a flash portal on newgrounds.com so if you are a member send me a message if your not member of newgrounds.com go F**K a vigina

you lost me...

BBS Signature
Step
Step
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 12th, 2010 @ 02:09 PM Reply

At 12/12/10 01:25 PM, metaknightsword wrote: letter by metaknight Hello newgrounds members reading thes crap my name is metaknightsword / crap not fucking realy so i need help members of newgrounds i need help how to make a flash portal on newgrounds.com so if you are a member send me a message if your not member of newgrounds.com go F**K a vigina

Dude.

That's deep.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54
I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature
SeeD419
SeeD419
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Programmer
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 12th, 2010 @ 03:20 PM Reply

This needs to be said...

Error - Your jpeg must be in RGB format, not in CYMK
Error - .BMP not a valid format
Error - Image over 150kb

Fuck it, "Cool story, bro."

Can't wait till I get Fireworks again >:(

Minecraft server: proxa.co
PortalWatch 0.1 Alpha - Download
Sig by illicit

BBS Signature
EKublai
EKublai
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Animator
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 12th, 2010 @ 03:48 PM Reply

Sorry if this has already been noted, but music that has a copyright should still be fair game if you contact the artists or their legals or whatever and ask for permission. It'll teach us how to be professional about what we do here at the very least. And when we get denied, then that will show us how an artist feels about their stuff being flaunted for free across the internet.

BBS Signature
kidray76
kidray76
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 12th, 2010 @ 04:13 PM Reply

At 12/10/10 11:21 AM, Chumbawamba wrote:
At 12/10/10 11:20 AM, TomFulp wrote: Also dicks are still ok.
Thank god.

Seriously, I was just asking my friend the other day, "Are dicks ok". Glad that is cleared up. lol

Vaginas are off limits though

Figured long time coming.

NG Review Moderator // Pm me for Review Abuse

BBS Signature
ganon95
ganon95
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 12th, 2010 @ 04:59 PM Reply

if your saying that flash people needs to use music in the audio portal more then you need to fix the voting system in the audio portal so theres a better chance the person can find the song they want, the flash portal has a good voting system, so why is the audio portal so broken?

PBass
PBass
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Animator
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 12th, 2010 @ 05:27 PM Reply

At 12/12/10 03:48 PM, EKublai wrote: Sorry if this has already been noted, but music that has a copyright should still be fair game if you contact the artists or their legals or whatever and ask for permission. It'll teach us how to be professional about what we do here at the very least. And when we get denied, then that will show us how an artist feels about their stuff being flaunted for free across the internet.

Yeah, Mindchamber said as long as the copyright holder gives permission it's okay. Of course, I'm sure promoting indie artists is preferred.

"Animation is not the art of drawings that move, but the art of movements that are drawn." -Norman McLaren

LordZeebmork
LordZeebmork
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Audiophile
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 12th, 2010 @ 05:31 PM Reply

only on newgrounds would fucking a vagina be considered a bad thing

ddddddd text text text

wolf piss

cast
cast
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Melancholy
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 12th, 2010 @ 06:07 PM Reply

At 12/12/10 01:25 PM, metaknightsword wrote: letter by metaknight Hello newgrounds members reading thes crap my name is metaknightsword

You made me spit sprite all over my bed.. I can't stop laughing. :(

c̴a̶s̴t̷

BBS Signature
MeatCat
MeatCat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 12th, 2010 @ 06:27 PM Reply

At 12/12/10 06:10 PM, psychicpebble wrote: Fuck you Tom who do you think you are.

Tom.

Malus-X
Malus-X
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Melancholy
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 12th, 2010 @ 06:41 PM Reply

Sounds like someone jumped down your throat about something.

DarkMatter
DarkMatter
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Animator
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 12th, 2010 @ 07:01 PM Reply

At 12/11/10 08:07 AM, Bahamut wrote: Actually, RazorHawk and Gagsy bring up some interesting points. You'll be surprised at how people discover bands just from these flash animations. When I was originally a genre mod last year well before it was even announced publicly, I tackled the Radiohead collection and I bought some of their albums ON CD after hearing some songs I really liked. If I never went through the Radiohead collection, I don't think I'd have bothered with Radiohead at all. Still, despite these ways one can get into an artist, I'd rather have the site be on the safe side.

Yeah even though I agree with the admins, this fact looms.

Like RazorHawk I to first heard Pink Maggit in the Dark Angel Teaser thing and eventually heard the full song, and eventually Deftones became my favorite band.

unfortunately this is an issue of law, and as long as the site is at risk the admins have no choice but to intervene, and take proactive action towards lowering the amount of copyright infringement.

WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO THAT DUDE WITH THE RED HAT BROWN TRENCH COAT AND SHOTGUN?!?! I miss the old ASSASSIN days. Click Me

BBS Signature
martiescageda
martiescageda
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 12th, 2010 @ 08:53 PM Reply

When I frist started with Flash I used to make sprite movies, parodies about games and anime using ripped songs and images, etc.

Well, once I wanted to became a serious animator I forgot about all that, now my cartoons only have original art. And the songs... Well, they may be based on videogames but I always use music from the audio portal once I get the permission.

Las Vicaventuras.com Home of Resivic Evil, El Gamer Cosplayer and The LPW. Only parodies and funny stuff :P

Silver-VII
Silver-VII
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 12th, 2010 @ 09:06 PM Reply

Something like this had to happen sooner or later. The net is the last reduct of freedom we all have access to, and freedom is not a good thing for governments and corporations (regardless of what they say).

Rucklo
Rucklo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Audiophile
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 12th, 2010 @ 09:24 PM Reply

At 12/12/10 09:43 AM, Abracadabra123 wrote: Alright. I read more carefully.

This rules should apply only flashes with API ads on them since the author earns money on them, not every flash on Newgrounds.

That's my interpretation of how Fair Use is applied according to US laws. However, it's been a while since I read up on Fair Use, so I may be mistaken. If I'm correct, however, you can make parodies, or just use chunks of copyrighted material as long as FULL credit is given AND the material is not a commercial project, i.e. you're not making money out of it.
I don't know if somone else (i.e. NG) would be allowed to make money from it, but I guess that might be a grey-zone, since NG is making money from ads outside the actual flash...

At 12/12/10 06:27 PM, MeatCat wrote:
At 12/12/10 06:10 PM, psychicpebble wrote: Fuck you Tom who do you think you are.
Tom.

"Tom" means "emtpy" in Swedish. But it's also a name. :3

Join the Newgrounds Battlefield 3 Platoon (for PC)! DON'T ASK WHAT YOUR GAME CAN DO FOR YOU, ASK WHAT YOU CAN DO FOR, UH, NEWGROUNDS! ON BATTLEFIELD 3. eh...

NGFuckedMe
NGFuckedMe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 12th, 2010 @ 09:41 PM Reply

This is all in opposition to the creative mind. If we don't make money off it, this shouldn't be a problem.

Appreciate that there's the audio portal, but to be fair there's a hell of alot of bad that comes with the good and sometime's it just doesn't do the job.

And since when was flash JUST an expression of art and not comedy or just plain good writing?

Promoting it would be creating a new award exclusively for it, not excluding people who use a picture from google, or an iconic song from winning any awards.

Too lazy to change alias. Just realised.

PBass
PBass
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Animator
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 12th, 2010 @ 10:04 PM Reply

The spirit of 'fair use' was really to prevent author's and artists from stifling bad reviews. Fair use protects someone who is commenting on copyrighted material, so that they can use the copyrighted material to support their opinion. Without it, negative reviews could easily be shut down under copyright law, or dismissed because they don't reference anything from the actual piece.

Fair use does not mean you can use it if you don't make money off of it. Many creative commons licences are ones that give permission for works to be used as long as no revenue is gained from it. Why create that a specific license for something that's supposedly already covered by fair use?

Nonetheless, courts only see that this website makes money, they don't care if the individual artist didn't make anything.

"Animation is not the art of drawings that move, but the art of movements that are drawn." -Norman McLaren

alfraydo
alfraydo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Musician
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 12th, 2010 @ 10:21 PM Reply

It would be quite interesting to see music videos made using songs from the Audio Portal. I appreciate a good video accompanying a good video, but I would really like to see a great video together with great music from the Portal.

At 12/10/10 11:20 AM, TomFulp wrote: Also dicks are still ok.

Oh Tom. You had me worried there for a 'sec.

THIS WORLD IS MADE OF LOVE AND PEACE!

Yrtnej
Yrtnej
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 13th, 2010 @ 01:10 AM Reply

I'm in full support of this change. On this site, most people prefer to do everything on their own (except for collabs). With this new change, maybe every flash will start having 2-3 different authors.

AJ
AJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Movie Buff
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 13th, 2010 @ 03:15 AM Reply

So what about politically provocative flashes? Or offensive ones? Or anything else that people here use to express themselves that somebody with a tie somewhere humbugs at? Those on the way out next too? There's tons of websites that have copyrighted stuff everywhere that don't give a shit about where it came from. You think the degenerates running 4chan would make any effort whatsoever to protect the copyrights of others at the expense of its users? No, because go fuck yourself is more than enough to get the suits to back down when it comes to what's on your website. Is the site really on the verge of getting shut down the next time someone uses a picture from a copyrighted broadcast of the National Football League in a flash 100,000 people will watch for free?

I mean if you're straight stealing a song or flash and claiming it as your own, then of course, get rid of that shit, but if you're making a gears of war parody and you use a picture that happens to be copyrighted, so what? If that's what the author wanted to manipulate into his thing, more power to him. If Lars Ulrich wanted to bitch about a Metallica song in a flash, I'm pretty sure you could make a newspost saying everyone make as many flashes with a Metallica song as you possible can and we'll call it Metallica day, and nothing would happen except Lars would cry himself to sleep at night. I mean, I always figured everything, by everyone was supposed to mean EVERYTHING.

I mean if people have the access to torrent download expensive ass stuff like this for the lulz without any way for the original creators to stop them, than how could NG not be perfectly capable of covering its ass when it's not even distributing unedited copyrighted material? It's just showing manipulated copyrighted material as a small part of a huge animation. I just don't see how we couldn't still get away with this if that's what you had wanted. You don't see Facebook putting notices up saying "Please stop using copyrighted images in your wallposts." Still just an individual expressing themselves amongst a social network for no profit. Seems more like a case of able, but not willing than willing, but not able. Could someone please elaborate for me in a way that doesn't bring this pic to mind?

Kiku-ichimonji123
Kiku-ichimonji123
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 13th, 2010 @ 07:41 AM Reply

Here here!
Yea veryly and what not!
Thank you for bringing this up!

Falonefal
Falonefal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Filmmaker
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 13th, 2010 @ 07:42 AM Reply

I'm going to re-ask my question until I get an answer.

" I really would like to make animations with Louis Armstrong's Jazz from like more than 50 years ago, is that also not okay?"

Tick Tock

BBS Signature
amplefied
amplefied
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 13th, 2010 @ 08:13 AM Reply

At 12/11/10 08:07 AM, Bahamut wrote: Actually, RazorHawk and Gagsy bring up some interesting points. You'll be surprised at how people discover bands just from these flash animations. When I was originally a genre mod last year well before it was even announced publicly, I tackled the Radiohead collection and I bought some of their albums ON CD after hearing some songs I really liked. If I never went through the Radiohead collection, I don't think I'd have bothered with Radiohead at all. Still, despite these ways one can get into an artist, I'd rather have the site be on the safe side.

Radiohead is one of those special cases like Weird Al, hell they've been practically giving away their In Rainbows album. I remember they even made a competition for their more creative fans to make videos for their songs. About 20 or so of those videos were very quality stuff.

amplefied
amplefied
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 13th, 2010 @ 08:18 AM Reply

At 12/13/10 03:15 AM, michelinman wrote: So what about politically provocative flashes? Or offensive ones? Or anything else that people here use to express themselves that somebody with a tie somewhere humbugs at? Those on the way out next too? There's tons of websites that have copyrighted stuff everywhere that don't give a shit about where it came from. You think the degenerates running 4chan would make any effort whatsoever to protect the copyrights of others at the expense of its users? No, because go fuck yourself is more than enough to get the suits to back down when it comes to what's on your website. Is the site really on the verge of getting shut down the next time someone uses a picture from a copyrighted broadcast of the National Football League in a flash 100,000 people will watch for free?

You haven't been in the sub forums lately? Original content is what made them famous and in many ways encouraged. Because everybody got sick of reposts and forced meme spam.

Mp3-Lock
Mp3-Lock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 13th, 2010 @ 08:50 AM Reply

To be honest this makes me sad, pretty much all of the best stuff I ever made was 100% based off of songs that really meant something to me.

I'm glad I had my go when I did, it's just too bad for the next generation of flash animators being robbed of the perfection that is a good ol' music video collab.

Jochio
Jochio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Animator
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 13th, 2010 @ 09:00 AM Reply

Damn this is a major setback for me.
I've been working on a project for almost half a year now.
But it uses alot of copyrighted music, So im going to have to find new free music..
And i was nearing the ending of it aswell D:

aww well. better start searching then!

TheElSalvador
TheElSalvador
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Artist
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 13th, 2010 @ 09:39 AM Reply

At 12/13/10 09:00 AM, Jochio wrote: Damn this is a major setback for me.
I've been working on a project for almost half a year now.
But it uses alot of copyrighted music, So im going to have to find new free music..
And i was nearing the ending of it aswell D:

aww well. better start searching then!

You could seek to obtain the proper licensing from the owner of the music. You may have to shell out some cash though. Might be worth checking into.

I ruined 3 monitors trying to write my name in this box.

pillowsurfermikko
pillowsurfermikko
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Melancholy
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 13th, 2010 @ 10:04 AM Reply

At 12/10/10 11:25 AM, doondeka wrote: oh the times they are a changin!

the slow one now will later be Fast!

TheElSalvador
TheElSalvador
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Artist
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 13th, 2010 @ 10:32 AM Reply

At 12/13/10 03:15 AM, michelinman wrote: So what about politically provocative flashes? Or offensive ones? Or anything else that people here use to express themselves that somebody with a tie somewhere humbugs at? Those on the way out next too? There's tons of websites that have copyrighted stuff everywhere that don't give a shit about where it came from....

You've completely missed the mark on this whole thing. This is about artistic integrity and forming collaborations with fellow artists to create completely new and unique art, for that's what a flash should be. It's also a warning to newbies/dumbasses/talentless assclowns that there are consequences to using things without permission. Something most people learned in childhood.
This is a push from Tom to get the people of newgrounds on the proper level. A self contained artistic powerhouse with all of it's members working together.

I ruined 3 monitors trying to write my name in this box.

Plebbi
Plebbi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 13th, 2010 @ 11:08 AM Reply

This is for you Tom, What is up with all those redesigns. Why can't newgrounds stay like it is. The only reason i say this is because people always think that new is better and you have to "define the page" so the "content is easier to find". That is also what this design was about, and the design before that.

People always get this idea they have to create something bigger better. Just look at facebook they are constantly changing their layout and features, people just get pissed of having to invent the wheel again.

Same with this, i have been a newgrounds fan since the Assassin section with the trenchcoat guy and well even before that when this site had pixel icons for "flash portal" and a sound effect in the banner that got more and more annoying ;D the longer you stay'd on the page.

But this site is just cool like it is, in my opinion you really should stop redesigning everything and focus on Pico 2 (haha i love to say that). That game showed some sick promise :D the real screenshots not the fake demo.

Anyway just my two cents, GO NEWGROUNDS