Respond to this Topic
BigRed
BigRed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 10th, 2010 @ 06:05 PM Reply

Excellent news! You are moving in a great direction!

BBS Signature
EJR
EJR
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 33
Animator
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 10th, 2010 @ 06:06 PM Reply

At 12/10/10 05:57 PM, TomFulp wrote: He has to finish redoing all the existing features for the redesign first. Because we always end up redoing everything.

Having to redo my work made me mad you and luis are really picky.

Portal, Chat & BBS Moderator

BBS Signature
idontknow2
idontknow2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Art Lover

This is sicking. Just to squeeze more money from furfags like Justin Beiber.
Rip Freedom
0-2010
You may now join you brother Art in heaven.

Art is dead these day, Money seem to be everything now
''Money, by everybody''

Alexander
Alexander
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 11
Writer

Love it.
This is certainly the way NewGrounds is meant to be.

EJR
EJR
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 33
Animator
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 10th, 2010 @ 06:07 PM Reply

At 12/10/10 06:06 PM, EJR wrote:
At 12/10/10 05:57 PM, TomFulp wrote: He has to finish redoing all the existing features for the redesign first. Because we always end up redoing everything.
Having to redo my work made me mad you and luis are really picky.

whoops meant sad**

Portal, Chat & BBS Moderator

BBS Signature
citricsquid
citricsquid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 10th, 2010 @ 06:09 PM Reply

Settle for mediocrity, that's how you get things done fast!

FightingSeraph
FightingSeraph
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 10th, 2010 @ 06:17 PM Reply

I have to agree with Rucklo, Sgt. Schultz Clock, Angel of Peace, Omega Red, and Zack Striefel on this issue. At the same time, I'm all for original content, but only if it's good. To me, it's not in the length, the animation quality, originality, or what have you; it's the end result that counts. Truth is, I think that there needs to be much needed copyright reform, considering how stringent copyright laws have become these days. That's the reasonably short answer, now here's the longer one:
I don't have a problem with commercial music and video game graphics in flash movies As Long As The Following Criteria Are Met:
-The subject isn't overdone (though I do like I Dream In Retro and Super Mario Second Chance).
-The Author has at least one or two original cartoons/games under their belt.
-The Author is just doing this to have fun and not use the site as a means to get rich quick. (More on this later)
This, of course, is one reason why I have both McFretN and Kine The Genius in my favorite authors list, as well as I Dream In Retro and The Undead in my favorite flash movies. Both original and derived projects live in co-existence in my book. On the other hand, I'm in favor of original content, and being original is good. However, that's only if the idea and the execution work; otherwise we end up with the likes of Minushi, Clock Suckers, Lethal Injection (or anything by Notorious), Leo & Satan (though I thought the first one was a laugh riot), Tarboy, and Waldemar Schuur's Furbaby just to name a few. This brings up a point that I want to make: Most of the authors who use NG as a means to get rich quick are usually the ones with original characters. (Examples: James Farr and those guys who submit motion comics.) Of course, there are original cartoonists who read what others have to say, post on this forum, or take the time to review other people's submissions. These authors include:
-Dave Lovelace
-Jack Smack
-Rick Marin
-Mike Swain
-RPGsrok
-Nitro Titan
-Dean Packis
-The Walrus
-Rokkan Saturn
Then there are those who claim to be ardently against the use of copyrighted stuff in flash movies in games, but when they use the aforementioned in their own creations; it renders their position null and void. And if they have been exposed for their fucked-up hypocrisies: then I expect their credibility to go down the shitter, followed by they being subject to the NG Assassin treatment.
Finally, there are authors who may not be completely original, but take the stuff they like and make it into their own. These are usually the most prevalent of the 'original' authors and most of them are well-respected if I recall. This is all I have to say on this issue, and it wasn't easy for me to say. However, I thought that my opinion on this issue was needed.

Side Note: Now, I'm all for property rights of all kinds, but I'm also in favor of copyright reform.

I'm not impressed with the way things are going here.
Old Music|Artistic Progress|Current Music
MSN & Trillian: Ask first.

Loki
Loki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Writer
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 10th, 2010 @ 06:23 PM Reply

Ban him from the BBS then, he's wasting his FREE TIME!

Magical-Zorse
Magical-Zorse
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 38
Melancholy
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 10th, 2010 @ 06:27 PM Reply

At 12/10/10 11:20 AM, TomFulp wrote: $5 Penicorn!

I guess it was never meant to be

BBS Signature
Ninjkabat
Ninjkabat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Animator
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 10th, 2010 @ 06:52 PM Reply

This will seriously impact the community of music video creators, of which I consider myself one.

I do agree that music artists should be paid for their hard work, but if the animator doesn't load it up with flash ads and doesn't make any money off his/her own hard work, how can anyone complain? I also agree that the audio portal contains hundreds of purely talented individuals, but sometimes there is a limit to free talent; if a person is talented enough, they'll want to get paid for it and won't give it away for free.

I guess the only option is to seek permission for every music video I ever do, like I did for my current project I'm working on (slowly). I got the permission for the music, but now I'm worried because I'm using loose versions of copyrighted characters in the animation. Here's hoping I can call in parody. *fingers crossed*

-The Ninjkabat: Cartoonist, Animator, VA, Japanese speaker, and Ninja all rolled into one.
Twitter | Google+ | deviantArt

BBS Signature
TheUnknownEntity
TheUnknownEntity
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 10th, 2010 @ 06:57 PM Reply

This is actually a total downer for me, not to say that I didn't expect it at all...

I've been working on this animation for a while containing tons of music from all sorts of soundtracks, which I have been accumulating for probably most of my life (my soundtracks playlist is just over 2.4k songs). I guess I'll have to scrap that then, what a waste. However I need to honor the code

:(

The End has begun

DarkMatter
DarkMatter
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 17
Animator
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 10th, 2010 @ 07:04 PM Reply

At 12/10/10 11:43 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 12/10/10 11:29 AM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: So, I would not be allowed to use this nature music?
I didn't hear any music or nature sounds in here, unless you meant the lightning sounds, which I think are you. :)

But anyone who is really serious about animating should consider buying a CD with ambient sounds such as storms, wind, oceans, etc... There are a lot of cheap CDs for that sort of thing, in fact this would be a good project for the Wiki. Ultimately we should also gather up as many free resources as we can.

Thanks for a solid warning to the community Tom, in the long run you're doing all the artists here a favor.
I like the idea of making my own content for the whole peice anyway, Happy Harry knows what's up.

WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO THAT DUDE WITH THE RED HAT BROWN TRENCH COAT AND SHOTGUN?!?! I miss the old ASSASSIN days. Click Me

BBS Signature
oOwunderbraOo
oOwunderbraOo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Gamer
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 10th, 2010 @ 07:04 PM Reply

Thanks for the dicks Tom, I really needed the encouragement for my Pokemon persona - Dicklett!

MindChamber
MindChamber
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Filmmaker
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 10th, 2010 @ 07:06 PM Reply

At 12/10/10 05:33 PM, idontknow2 wrote: Fuck this.This is an insult to our freedom to express ourself.

yah I can see this really hinders your freedom judging by the tons of submissions you made, sorry we're holding you back.

Mexifry
Mexifry
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 10th, 2010 @ 07:08 PM Reply

I feel for animators this will be kinda a rough change immediately, but itll ultimately be for the betterment.

Also a job search feature would be great. http://wooshii.com has a system style that NG people could take advantage of. Im not saying copying them, but some method of getting artists, musicians, etc. connected with people who want to purchase their creative content.

DarkMatter
DarkMatter
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 17
Animator
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 10th, 2010 @ 07:14 PM Reply

Did stamper google this picture or what?

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/55 4533

WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO THAT DUDE WITH THE RED HAT BROWN TRENCH COAT AND SHOTGUN?!?! I miss the old ASSASSIN days. Click Me

BBS Signature
PBass
PBass
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Animator
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 10th, 2010 @ 07:16 PM Reply

You're taking away my freedom to express myself with things I didn't make myself.

"Animation is not the art of drawings that move, but the art of movements that are drawn." -Norman McLaren

Sexual-Lobster
Sexual-Lobster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 18
Animator
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 10th, 2010 @ 07:27 PM Reply

I think the Newgrounds free sound bank hinted at on page 1 is a flipping good idea.

MindChamber
MindChamber
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Filmmaker
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 10th, 2010 @ 07:30 PM Reply

At 12/10/10 07:14 PM, DarkMatter wrote: Did stamper google this picture or what?

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/55 4533

lol nice work, we couldnt have found this one without you.

but in case you havent figured it out, this is the intention going forward

Winds of Change

Gustavos
Gustavos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 10th, 2010 @ 07:34 PM Reply

Well, it could be worse. Anybody remember what happenned to Youtube where all videos featuring licensed songs needed the song removed or the video will be removed?

I feel like I'm not so in touch with the Audio or even the Art Portal as I should be. I'll definitely look for audio tracks for my future projects from there, and maybe ask an artist if he'd be interested in drawing a menu or something. Couldn't hurt. After all, the users of this site aren't faceless, penny-pinching corporations.

I usually frequent the VG and collaboration Forums. If you find me anywhere else, I'm lost and can't find my way back.

PixelCake
PixelCake
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 10th, 2010 @ 07:38 PM Reply

I'm glad you're cracking down on that. :)
What will you do about pedophilia art and video portal entries? Are you going to take care of chronically abusive members as well or is this just a copyright thing?

Your resident cutie patootie!

PizzaMan911
PizzaMan911
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 10th, 2010 @ 07:38 PM Reply

wow... Copyright laws nowadays... why can't they just understand that we want to borrow their work to improve ours...so that's like promoting theirs in a way.

So the man walks in the bar and asks for a burger...and the waiter said "This is a French Restoraunt Sir".
So the man said: "Then gimme french fries instead!" lol

BBS Signature
idontknow2
idontknow2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Art Lover
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 10th, 2010 @ 07:39 PM Reply

At 12/10/10 07:06 PM, MindChamber wrote: yah I can see this really hinders your freedom judging by the tons of submissions you made, sorry we're holding you back.

Sorry i haven't made any submissions, but not everybody is as artistically gitfed as other or have full knowlege of computation since my school cut it when we were studying powerpoint...for the 4th time.At least i try to protect our rights. I dont know from where this attack comes from, since i haven't attacked the newground team. I just found it outrageous that this site was targeted for copyright when there is no reason for it, i mean can we download copyrighted music here? No, Films? No, So why now Tom comes with this announcement? If some one uses a song then it usually just a part of it or if it the full song the flash is a music video.
Oh well, next i'm just gonna shut up when someone starts walking over me or SOMETHING I CARE FOR.

ThePortalGuru
ThePortalGuru
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 10th, 2010 @ 07:42 PM Reply

Well shit. I was planning on making a game based on the stylings of Caravan Palace, with original sounds, graphics and all that jazz, designing everything around the songs, but now I guess that's not possible. I doubt any other soundtrack would truly do for what I was planning, so I'm still hoping it's somewhat acceptable for me to submit it when it's finished.

So does this mean the entire Radiohead collection is gonna be taken down?

Thanks aplenty to Phobotech for the great user icon.

BBS Signature
PixelCake
PixelCake
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 10th, 2010 @ 07:45 PM Reply

At 12/10/10 07:39 PM, idontknow2 wrote:
At 12/10/10 07:06 PM, MindChamber wrote: yah I can see this really hinders your freedom judging by the tons of submissions you made, sorry we're holding you back.
Sorry i haven't made any submissions, but not everybody is as artistically gitfed as other or have full knowlege of computation since my school cut it when we were studying powerpoint...for the 4th time.At least i try to protect our rights. I dont know from where this attack comes from, since i haven't attacked the newground team. I just found it outrageous that this site was targeted for copyright when there is no reason for it, i mean can we download copyrighted music here? No, Films? No, So why now Tom comes with this announcement? If some one uses a song then it usually just a part of it or if it the full song the flash is a music video.
Oh well, next i'm just gonna shut up when someone starts walking over me or SOMETHING I CARE FOR.

Just because you can't 'download' copyrighted music from NG doesn't mean the users are allowed to upload things with work they don't have a license or permission to use. There's no reason to get into a tizzy about a law that's been around since probably before the internet itself, let alone NG.

And protect your rights? You don't have a right that allows you to publicly use copyrighted work when it's not in the realm of 'fair use'.

I'm pretty sure no amount of bitching on a forum will change that.

Your resident cutie patootie!

Psycosis91
Psycosis91
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 10th, 2010 @ 07:48 PM Reply

I'm way too far along my current sprite project to just walk away from it now, but yeah I guess this makes sense.

I'll just keep doing what I'm doing though, doesn't really effect me, since I never hardly ever make anything anymore.

ThePlanetPluto
ThePlanetPluto
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 10th, 2010 @ 08:02 PM Reply

So if you want to use free original music use my stuff! That's what Tom wants ;D

HandsomePete
HandsomePete
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 54
Filmmaker
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 10th, 2010 @ 08:05 PM Reply

CUT MY LIFE INTO PIECES. THIS IS MY LAST RESORT.

BBS Signature
MindChamber
MindChamber
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Filmmaker
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 10th, 2010 @ 08:09 PM Reply

At 12/10/10 07:39 PM, idontknow2 wrote:

Maybe because you have no idea what you are ranting about. No ones stopping anyone from doing anything. Just don't expect to make MONEY from something you've created using COPYRIGHTED materials.. Thats so hard to understand? Apparently it is for you.
I just wanted to make sure people knew you had nothing to contribute less they mistaken you for an artist who actually knows whats going on.

Tateos
Tateos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Audiophile
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 10th, 2010 @ 08:12 PM Reply

At 12/10/10 11:20 AM, TomFulp wrote: Also dicks are still ok.

What a relief. I got scared for a moment.