Respond to this Topic
AngelofPeace
AngelofPeace
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Musician
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 13th, 2010 @ 09:19 PM Reply

Four hundred replies, wow! Now that I think about it, there's really no reason to worry. Music pirating is so widespread that it can't be stopped. If the mods start cracking down on it, people will just leave and post it elsewhere where it will be accepted.

There are plenty of places to post your work, whether it contains copyrighted content or not. So worry not, Newgrounders! Dry your eyes, stand tall and let them know you will not be shaken! You are not the slave, but the master! Your content is what keeps this site going, and if you give it nothing it will die.

"There comes a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious, makes you so sick at heart, that you can't take part, you can't even passively take part; and you've got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon wheels, and upon the levers, upon all the apparatus and you've got to make it stop! And you've got to indicate to the people who run it and to the people who own it that unless you're free, the machine will be prevented from working at all." -Mario Savio.

Some of the best animations, such as Anime Munters, Stamp on the Ground, and Babylon Hot Nights have copyrighted audio. Consider that next time you hear somebody talking about censoring.

TheElSalvador
TheElSalvador
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Artist
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 13th, 2010 @ 09:49 PM Reply

Maybe this will turn away some users and maybe that's the best gift of all. Merry Xmas for NewGrounds!

I ruined 3 monitors trying to write my name in this box.

Budj
Budj
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Animator
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 13th, 2010 @ 10:20 PM Reply

At 12/13/10 07:19 PM, redminus wrote: Also, Alvin-Earthworm is going to be crushed.
That is all.

Made me lol!

PBass
PBass
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Animator
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 13th, 2010 @ 10:55 PM Reply

At 12/13/10 09:19 PM, AngelofPeace wrote: Your content is what keeps this site going, and if you give it nothing it will die.

Luckily, many talented artists are willing to continue submitting content!

These will be good holidays indeed!

"Animation is not the art of drawings that move, but the art of movements that are drawn." -Norman McLaren

averageroadkill
averageroadkill
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 13th, 2010 @ 11:16 PM Reply

wow..how fuckin lame. the only reason newgrounds was still cool was because I THOUGHT it didn't give a fuck about those stupid ass rules against fair use of using whatever the fuck you want. whatever happened to fighting against BBC to defend your teletubby parodies? newgrounds was the last site that seemed to still actually be against this exact kind of thing and now they're giving in like all the others. I understand newgrounds had always been 99% about user created content. but this goes against a lot of what newgrounds used to stand for in terms of it's "fuck the system" ideals. next thing you know they'll take shit down that satirizes the government, religion, and create a system that flags offensive content. aka half of the shit submitted from '98-2010.

these new changes are bullshit.

BlackClown
BlackClown
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 13th, 2010 @ 11:24 PM Reply

At 12/13/10 11:16 PM, averageroadkill wrote: these new changes are bullshit.

There's the door. Go play anarchy somewhere else.

MonkeyV
MonkeyV
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 13th, 2010 @ 11:34 PM Reply

While this is good news for originality, it is also yet another sign that freedom, currently on and of the internet, is being systematically destroyed.

BBS Signature
averageroadkill
averageroadkill
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 13th, 2010 @ 11:41 PM Reply

At 12/13/10 11:24 PM, BlackClown wrote:

And what exactly have you contributed to this website besides generic "snobby 13-year-old" posts?

BlackClown
BlackClown
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 13th, 2010 @ 11:56 PM Reply

At 12/13/10 11:41 PM, averageroadkill wrote:
At 12/13/10 11:24 PM, BlackClown wrote:
And what exactly have you contributed to this website besides generic "snobby 13-year-old" posts?

Making you leave if I'm lucky.

Twone
Twone
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Musician
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 14th, 2010 @ 12:13 AM Reply

I'm a musician/ recording engineer... I can do audio!

BBS Signature
7isgod
7isgod
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 14th, 2010 @ 02:40 AM Reply

FOR FUCK SAKE! ALL TOM IS TRYING TO SAY IS THAT THERE IS HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF SUBMISSION ON THIS WEBSITE AND IF YOU WANT TO MAKE IT TO FRONT PAGE OR IN A COLLECTION THEN DON'T MAKE SOMETHING THAT HAS A SONG ON THE TOP 20 IN IT! FUCK!

I'm a new poster but long fucking time lurker and you have to be shitting me. The amount of people complaining. Seriously, it's not like half of you are even gonna make it to the front page or want to included in a collection anyway. Honestly, shut the fuck up and take it on the chin. Tom is giving you all fair warning that if say WMG, Universal, Sony or EMI tries to sue you and you claim that Newgrounds is some sort of safe haven, that it's not and they have fair right and ground to sue you. As far as I know a lot of artists here make money using the adds on their submissions here and if they have copy righted material in their submission without permission, that is ILLEGAL.

Tom does not want to have lawyers on his ass all day and have to defend all of you for your stupid actions. It's not a change from anything, nothing has changed, just you won't see many submissions with copy righted material on the front page or in collections any more. You can still upload your submissions and you can still share them with everyone on the internet, just it will be in the little blackspot and hard to find....... As with MANY THOUSANDS of other submission that DON'T have copy righted material.

Correct me if I'm wrong on any of this but I'm just getting tired of reading all this shit on here.

Breed
Breed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 14th, 2010 @ 02:51 AM Reply

Original audio as an official message to flash writers? Aww you didnt have to Tom =P

**cough** Sound Designer / Film Composer here **cough** -- Excuse me, I coughed.
redminus
redminus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 37
Animator
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 14th, 2010 @ 03:21 AM Reply

At 12/14/10 02:40 AM, 7isgod wrote: FOR FUCK SAKE! ALL TOM IS TRYING TO SAY IS THAT THERE IS HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF SUBMISSION ON THIS WEBSITE AND IF YOU WANT TO MAKE IT TO FRONT PAGE OR IN A COLLECTION THEN DON'T MAKE SOMETHING THAT HAS A SONG ON THE TOP 20 IN IT! FUCK!

I'm a new poster but long fucking time lurker and you have to be shitting me. The amount of people complaining. Seriously, it's not like half of you are even gonna make it to the front page or want to included in a collection anyway. Honestly, shut the fuck up and take it on the chin. Tom is giving you all fair warning that if say WMG, Universal, Sony or EMI tries to sue you and you claim that Newgrounds is some sort of safe haven, that it's not and they have fair right and ground to sue you. As far as I know a lot of artists here make money using the adds on their submissions here and if they have copy righted material in their submission without permission, that is ILLEGAL.

OH WOW someone who actually read some of the thread!
I'd say that sums it up. Maybe people will at least read THIS since they clearly havent been reading much of what Tom was saying.
Also in complete agreement especially in regards to the number of people complaining. Seriously, what the hell

AndroidEnt
AndroidEnt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 14th, 2010 @ 06:06 AM Reply

At 12/10/10 11:21 AM, Chumbawamba wrote:
At 12/10/10 11:20 AM, TomFulp wrote: Also dicks are still ok.
Thank god.

figures...

DevintheDinosaur
DevintheDinosaur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 14th, 2010 @ 06:54 AM Reply

The only reason I remotely care about this is because I sometimes use textures and what not from the internet, music I could give 2 shits about. There's plenty of amazing indie bands out there. Go find them.

GuidoDeniz
GuidoDeniz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 14th, 2010 @ 09:40 AM Reply

Original content always trumps stolen content. But i'm concerned about NG losing its soul.

SoundAlchemy
SoundAlchemy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 14th, 2010 @ 09:54 AM Reply

:Your post seemed like it was trying to hurt NG more than help anyone.

*shrug* I doubt a single post by me, a retarded individual, could possibly hurt NG...

You've done the internet a wonderful service with this website Tom, and I want to thank you whole heartedly for all the hard work you and your friends have put into this wonderful site. Its spread happiness all over the world and sparked the imaginations of millions.

I'm just a lover of freedoms, so much so that I often don't side with the law... (RIAA/Copyright)

Whats next? Someone copy-writing the color blue? (extreme case but none-the-less, it sparks the thought process of "What's okay to copyright and what isn't?")

Most songs (actually all of them) are copies of another song in one way or another as all aspects of harmony/melody have been explored in the vast past of human history. Its simply absurd to think that a song using the chromatic scale is original in its entirety.

I understand that this is a step to correct certain actions that, from a certain perspective, have hurt the site. (ie. legal actions taken against NG for "copyright" infringement). I didnt want to raise any negative emotions and I apologize if I did... <3's for Tom

Making a few adjustments to the site will completely eradicate any qualms that people might have about these changes (ie. making the audio portal user friendly... Perhaps a form for flash artists to fill out, that will filter out certain artists or types of music so they can browse a bit easier? I dunno I'm a retard!! )

In conclusion:
Thank you Tom. Keep up the good work, cover your ass, and enjoy your day!

AngelofPeace
AngelofPeace
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Musician
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 14th, 2010 @ 10:02 AM Reply

At 12/13/10 11:34 PM, MonkeyV wrote: While this is good news for originality, it is also yet another sign that freedom, currently on and off the internet, is being systematically destroyed.

That's really what I've been trying to say! I'm all for originality, audio and otherwise, but when other people start talking about copyrights I get extremely jumpy.

If the sharks DO decide to take all copyrighted content from the site, then you can say goodbye to your The Room dubstep video, Tom. The producers have sued the creator for using their copyrighted video. The video is taken off of youtube and the video you posted will no longer work.

I know you're just a messenger, and shooting you is quite unfair, but I hate it when freedom is restricted.
As the famous Ben Franklin once said, "Those who are willing to trade freedom for security deserve neither."

Merry Christmas to you, sir, and please don't let the lawyers threaten our non-profit fun.

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 14th, 2010 @ 10:10 AM Reply

At 12/13/10 08:15 PM, FleckoGold wrote: I like this. This is quite cool.

Although, now I realize how much of a potential bother I was. My apologies.

I will be more mindful of this in the future. I have to admit, though, this puts a damper on some bits of current and future projects. I'll see what I can do to remedy them.

By the way, and this may be a silly question, but do small parts of the music count?

No one has been a bother - I'm just trying to lay groundwork for moving forward in a way that will keep everyone here safe (including NG itself) and ensure that contest posted here can stay here for the long-term.

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 14th, 2010 @ 10:11 AM Reply

At 12/13/10 08:15 PM, FleckoGold wrote: By the way, and this may be a silly question, but do small parts of the music count?

Small bits of music can be a grey area, BTW... Still better off avoiding.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 14th, 2010 @ 10:14 AM Reply

At 12/13/10 11:16 PM, averageroadkill wrote: wow..how fuckin lame. the only reason newgrounds was still cool was because I THOUGHT it didn't give a fuck about those stupid ass rules against fair use of using whatever the fuck you want. whatever happened to fighting against BBC to defend your teletubby parodies? newgrounds was the last site that seemed to still actually be against this exact kind of thing and now they're giving in like all the others. I understand newgrounds had always been 99% about user created content. but this goes against a lot of what newgrounds used to stand for in terms of it's "fuck the system" ideals. next thing you know they'll take shit down that satirizes the government, religion, and create a system that flags offensive content. aka half of the shit submitted from '98-2010.

these new changes are bullshit.

There are things such as parodies that we can defend, and there are things such as use of unlicensed photography that there is no defense for. And keep in mind "defend" is a six figure word.

There's a difference between "sticking it to the man" and supporting laziness at the expense of everyone involved.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 14th, 2010 @ 10:17 AM Reply

At 12/14/10 09:40 AM, GuidoDeniz wrote: Original content always trumps stolen content. But i'm concerned about NG losing its soul.

I think there is way more soul to be found in original content.

BBS Signature
matthewkinse
matthewkinse
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 14th, 2010 @ 10:50 AM Reply

Newgrounds users have to develop original content for everything they do but sites like youtube are allowed to take whatever they want from this site including the entire piece altogether.

DemiseAnimation
DemiseAnimation
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 14th, 2010 @ 10:52 AM Reply

I would like to suggest a place where users can submit sound files like punch effects, and a place where users can submit photography.

You must either upload a picture, or enter some text for your signature.

PiGPEN
PiGPEN
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Animator
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 14th, 2010 @ 11:03 AM Reply

At 12/14/10 10:11 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 12/13/10 08:15 PM, FleckoGold wrote: By the way, and this may be a silly question, but do small parts of the music count?
Small bits of music can be a grey area, BTW... Still better off avoiding.

Except anything grey area might as well be white area since no copyright enforcing bodies are going to go after anything they won't have a clear victory in (unless it's an extreme threat to their industry) because they have to worry as much about losing money on lawsuits as defendants do.

BBS Signature
8Bite
8Bite
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 14th, 2010 @ 11:03 AM Reply

Thanks man, inbreeding FTW!

ShoeClown
ShoeClown
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 14th, 2010 @ 11:05 AM Reply

This is great! I know some of you think this sucks, and we're being limited by corporate giants. Yeah, it's true. So what, let's beat them at their own game!

If we create music, art, stories, and animations using only our own works we can release those under licenses that allow others to use them freely. As we grow as a site, our artists grow and continue making their artwork under those licences, getting bigger and better.

These winds will take us to the land of freedom of ideas.

PiGPEN
PiGPEN
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Animator
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 14th, 2010 @ 11:09 AM Reply

At 12/14/10 11:03 AM, PiGPEN wrote: Except anything grey area might as well be white area since no copyright enforcing bodies are going to go after anything they won't have a clear victory in (unless it's an extreme threat to their industry) because they have to worry as much about losing money on lawsuits as defendants do.

Actually that should be...
No copyright enforcing bodies are going to go after anything they won't have a clear victory in unless it's;
-an extreme threat to their industry/clients profits
-or there's potential for big returns by suing the person/s

I can't really see how anything on newgrounds would really warrant anything more than a cease&desist from these vultures.

BBS Signature
DemiseAnimation
DemiseAnimation
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 14th, 2010 @ 11:14 AM Reply

Looking around, I just realised that lots of the truly great animations include copyrighted music.

You must either upload a picture, or enter some text for your signature.

PBass
PBass
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Animator
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 14th, 2010 @ 11:16 AM Reply

At 12/14/10 11:09 AM, PiGPEN wrote: I can't really see how anything on newgrounds would really warrant anything more than a cease&desist from these vultures.

These guys love to send out 'settle or else' letters. There's law firms out there who make profits by mailing these out en masse. I doubt they'd send them out for a small clip, but you never know.

"Animation is not the art of drawings that move, but the art of movements that are drawn." -Norman McLaren