MasterMerol
MasterMerol
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 11th, 2010 @ 01:18 PM Reply

At 12/10/10 12:53 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 12/10/10 12:34 PM, Pesticide wrote: I'm guessing the music videos section is going to be cleared out then?
There is a level of risk we have been willing to take to preserve NG's past, but the problem needs to stop growing.

May we keep the music videos collection, but keeping it as a secret item? I don't know.... it may work?

Who are you looking for? What are you looking at?
A light? a star. A boat? an insect. A plane? a flying fish

BBS Signature
YChang
YChang
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 11th, 2010 @ 01:24 PM Reply

This is still going on? REALLY?

Notice how all the people who make good stuff are happy about more original content, while all the people who make shitty stuff are like 'wait wut but why can't i use sprite sheets from google to make my waste of space animations'

Looking for a voice actor or singer who's fun to work with and reliable? Click below to hear my demo reel!

BBS Signature
SgtSchultzClock
SgtSchultzClock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 11th, 2010 @ 02:11 PM Reply

At 12/11/10 01:24 PM, YChang wrote: This is still going on? REALLY?

Notice how all the people who make good stuff are happy about more original content, while all the people who make shitty stuff are like 'wait wut but why can't i use sprite sheets from google to make my waste of space animations'

um, excuse me, but my stuff is the best stuff that there is, and i break copyright like i am a bull breaking china.

I KNOW NOTHING!

2kano113
2kano113
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 11th, 2010 @ 02:19 PM Reply

At 12/10/10 11:24 AM, ClockOfBlob wrote: I'm still going to do most of this.

then YOU MUST DIE

MindChamber
MindChamber
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Filmmaker
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 11th, 2010 @ 02:45 PM Reply

At 12/11/10 12:43 PM, Abracadabra123 wrote: So any flash movies/games using sprites from video games like Super Mario Bros, Final Fantasy, Street Fighters ... are over. Right?

Sorry for double post. There is no edit button in this forum.

Come ON man.... READ ... not just the starting post, but the whole thread

READ goddamnit.

PBass
PBass
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Animator
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 11th, 2010 @ 02:52 PM Reply

One question I didn't see answered was (apologize if I missed the answer) if someone is able to obtain permission and proof that they can use copyrighted material, will it be allowed? Just discouraged?

"Animation is not the art of drawings that move, but the art of movements that are drawn." -Norman McLaren

Mexifry
Mexifry
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 11th, 2010 @ 02:54 PM Reply

At 12/11/10 02:45 PM, MindChamber wrote: Come ON man.... READ ... not just the starting post, but the whole thread

READ goddamnit.

I know seriously.
It's the same damn question being asked over and over again.

Wunderbar
Wunderbar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Melancholy
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 11th, 2010 @ 03:03 PM Reply

I would read the thread but I don't want to see the same shit repeated over and over.

Nice to see you guys made a site that the users are more than happy to destroy.

Winds of Change

NGSM | Pm me for a sig |
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
╰⋃╯私の腰は、自分自身で動いている

BBS Signature
MindChamber
MindChamber
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Filmmaker
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 11th, 2010 @ 03:12 PM Reply

At 12/11/10 02:52 PM, PBass wrote: if someone is able to obtain permission and proof that they can use copyrighted material, will it be allowed? Just discouraged?

Now why would someone DISCOURAGE you to obtain permission?

Mismo
Mismo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Musician
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 11th, 2010 @ 03:32 PM Reply

Sounds good I guess, but on another topic. Is it a goal to create a writing portal or did just give up that idea? I know you've said something about a writing portal in the past, presumable when the writing forum was created.

Heads or tails?

BBS Signature
Aarozon360
Aarozon360
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 11th, 2010 @ 04:00 PM Reply

So I just looked at him and he said WHAT!!!!??!!!
And I just said hi,and he got up from his chair and please finish the sentence...

Nicholas-Deary
Nicholas-Deary
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Animator
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 11th, 2010 @ 04:02 PM Reply

Hey Tom I have a question, if you take an image off Google images and use Flash's trace bitmap feature does it still count as a copyrighted image seeing as it's been modified?

BBS Signature
Aarozon360
Aarozon360
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 11th, 2010 @ 04:06 PM Reply

So im not getting anything for xmas becase im going to get a bar at the shop instead.

STUPID PANDA!!!!!

Zerpha
Zerpha
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 11th, 2010 @ 04:23 PM Reply

At 12/11/10 12:36 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 12/10/10 09:04 PM, Zerpha wrote: I always liked the idea of a "Flash Animation With Cover Song". Using a cover of the known song can give the movie another twist, and the singer's voice might even suit better to the animated characters.
Even cover songs are problematic, unless the original composition has entered the public domain.

Gee, i didn't know about that. So if i'm correctly informed now, that means we can effectively only use songs old enough for having entered the public domain, since these release us of the necessity to negotiate with the right holders.

Although according to the page i read, you have to ask song artists before realeasing a cover version even if the accordant song is in the public domain.
And you also have to ask for the rights before releasing a remix, which would also be quite a buzzkill for artists using the audio portal.

Please tell me i'm wrong, because this would mean a big cut in creativity by copyright laws -
not just some precaution that prevents you from uploading flash files with complete official soundtracks that might keep you from buying them since it's available to you through the file, like this

(Although i admit that it's true that it can even act as promotion, since some flash movies using such songs actually maden those watching it buy the songs.)

BBS Signature
PixelCake
PixelCake
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 11th, 2010 @ 04:35 PM Reply

At 12/11/10 04:02 PM, Nicholas-Deary wrote: Hey Tom I have a question, if you take an image off Google images and use Flash's trace bitmap feature does it still count as a copyrighted image seeing as it's been modified?

Google is a search engine. It depends on who is hosting the image.
Tracing also counts as copyright infringement if you don't have the license to use the image, don't do it.

Your resident cutie patootie!

PBass
PBass
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Animator
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 11th, 2010 @ 04:45 PM Reply

At 12/11/10 03:12 PM, MindChamber wrote:
At 12/11/10 02:52 PM, PBass wrote: if someone is able to obtain permission and proof that they can use copyrighted material, will it be allowed? Just discouraged?

Sorry, would the USE of copyrighted materials, regardless of permission or not be discouraged. As in, if I somehow got permission from 'Mainstream Band XYZ' would I be allowed to use their music? Or are you putting a general stigma on all non-indie sources.

"Animation is not the art of drawings that move, but the art of movements that are drawn." -Norman McLaren

Phobotech
Phobotech
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Animator
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 11th, 2010 @ 04:46 PM Reply

I guess this sort-of answers my question. I still really want to make animated music videos for a select few artists. With their permission in hand, or somehow prove I have their permission, could it be featured?

"I sail through a golden nexus. By tanks with armor that glisten. I watch and I play with creations, and what I'm not reading, I listen." <-

BBS Signature
Afro-Ninja
Afro-Ninja
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Game Developer
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 11th, 2010 @ 04:47 PM Reply

guys wait so if I don't go back and change all my old submissions I'm getting arrested by the copyright police?!?!

BBS Signature
Wolfos
Wolfos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 11th, 2010 @ 05:06 PM Reply

One question, though.
How about covers? If I play a song on my guitar/piano and record it, but it's also a known song, can it be used?

MindChamber
MindChamber
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Filmmaker
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 11th, 2010 @ 05:36 PM Reply

At 12/11/10 04:46 PM, Phobotech wrote:
I guess this sort-of answers my question. I still really want to make animated music videos for a select few artists. With their permission in hand, or somehow prove I have their permission, could it be featured?

Well, of course.. if you've obtained permission its no longer a copyright infringement.

I think Tom used the Weird Al Songs as an example.

BigRed
BigRed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 11th, 2010 @ 05:51 PM Reply

IDEA

If the animations are done very well audio artists should be sponsoring them. Radiohead is a good example.

BBS Signature
leofuriosos
leofuriosos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 11th, 2010 @ 05:55 PM Reply

yes!! :)

lilwaynerules55
lilwaynerules55
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 11th, 2010 @ 05:57 PM Reply

too bad the audio portal is just filled with horrible trance loops

Piktack
Piktack
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Artist
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 11th, 2010 @ 06:23 PM Reply

As much as I respect this warning... I hate to break it to ya Tom, but copy righted material in flash films won't stop. Maybe you could extend the whistle to include copy righted material?... or maybe you have already? I'm not sure.

ikool
ikool
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Animator
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 11th, 2010 @ 06:28 PM Reply

At 12/10/10 11:20 AM, TomFulp wrote: I want everyone who creates content to read this post very carefully and take it very seriously.
Parodies are still fair game and part of our culture, but you've probably already noticed only a handful of sprite movies have made front page this year.

I'm glad that there are less sprite animations taking up precious NG front page. I did get a bit scared thinking that sprites were gonna be banned though.

Also dicks are still ok.

HYESZ!

I can't tell if you're joking, because you never use emoticons. ~ SolidToad

BBS Signature
ThePortalGuru
ThePortalGuru
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 11th, 2010 @ 06:30 PM Reply

At 12/11/10 05:57 PM, lilwaynerules55 wrote: too bad the audio portal is just filled with horrible trance loops

While that's generally a true statement, I want to point out that there's a good score of stuff that isn't bouncy techno crap.

• Solaris [with lazers]
    Solaris [with lazers] by MashedByMachines

Click to listen.

Score
    4.42 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Video Game
    Popularity
  • Super Mario Galaxy Feel Bros!
    Super Mario Galaxy Feel Bros! by InfinityVas

Click to listen.

Score
    4.37 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Video Game
    Popularity
  • A Theoretical Physicist
    A Theoretical Physicist by lanky21

Click to listen.

Score
    4.23 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    General Rock
    Popularity
  • Rhymes and Riddles
    Rhymes and Riddles by Owen-Powell

Click to listen.

Score
    4.08 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Punk
    Popularity
  • River City Ransom - Boss Music
    River City Ransom - Boss Music by NerdArmy

Click to listen.

Score
    4.31 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Video Game
    Popularity
  • Coma: Red Wind Theme
    Coma: Red Wind Theme by wittyhobos

Click to listen.

Score
    4.36 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Ambient
    Popularity
  • [PZ] Flying Machine Theme
    [PZ] Flying Machine Theme by pavelzuk

Click to listen.

Score
    4.37 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Classical
    Popularity

There's tons more, and MashedByMachines is definitely one of the more unique artists of the bunch. With some searching, you can find much more than the crappy trance tunes that appear on the surface.

Thanks aplenty to Phobotech for the great user icon.

BBS Signature
Ocelotlikespie
Ocelotlikespie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 11th, 2010 @ 06:45 PM Reply

Oh joy -_- I thought if the project was non-commercial it would be okay to use other artists' material. But then again, if I do use copyrighted stuff, even if I don't want to make money out of it, the site will get money for the views of the project, so it's understandable, I guess.

BBS Signature
Mikaelus
Mikaelus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Artist
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 11th, 2010 @ 07:50 PM Reply

I think these new changes are a great idea, moving away from copyright material and more towards completely original creations makes a lot of sense. However, can I say that the Audio portal needs to be a bit easier to navigate.

There's heaps of great songs in the audio portal, but finding the right one for my flash can be really difficult. Often I'll be looking for background music that conveys a certain mood (heroic, spooky, whatever), and I'll want it to be played on real instruments (or at least SOUND like it was made on real instruments). Unfortunately when I do a search often 90% of the results are some techno/elctro/trance/rave style song that someone's made in fruityloops and listed incorrectly under "blues" or "latin" etc. I'm then forced to trawl through hundreds of inappropriate songs just to find few suitable tracks that have been correctly listed.

Isn't there some way this could be fixed? Maybe change the audio portal search function so you can click a button like "Show only orchestral songs", or "no doof doof songs", or something to filter the search results. Maybe a button on each audio submission like "this song is in the wrong category" which users can press if they find a techno remix of the Sonic theme listed as "Classical".

Also, while I'm on this rant, most of the songs on the audio portal are very techo-ish. Many of the other categories like "Classical" have only a few real classical tracks, and all the other songs are like remixes of Beethoven's Fifth. It's the same in a lot of categories like "Rock", "Blues", etc. There's a few Rock or Blues songs and the rest are fruityloops tracks that involve a rock guitar, blues harp, etc. I know people upload a lot of "doof doof" 200BPM style tracks because they're easy to make in programs like Fruityloops, and I'm not saying they're bad, just that they're not really useful when I need background music for an animation.

Anyway, I think the idea to encourage users to stay away from copyrighted material is a GREAT idea, and a little tweaking of the audio portal would make it easier to do that.

Phobotech
Phobotech
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Animator
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 11th, 2010 @ 07:56 PM Reply

At 12/11/10 05:57 PM, lilwaynerules55 wrote: too bad the audio portal is just filled with horrible trance loops

Dude, I was searching for Doom songs to update the flash I'm working on, and I was shocked to find some badass heavy metal covers. LURK MOAR

"I sail through a golden nexus. By tanks with armor that glisten. I watch and I play with creations, and what I'm not reading, I listen." <-

BBS Signature
ThePortalGuru
ThePortalGuru
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change Dec. 11th, 2010 @ 08:22 PM Reply

You know, I think it'd be wonderful to get a "Pure instrumental" collab in the audio portal soon. Just get a whole score of people to submit non-electronic music. I'm always tired of finding piles of trance songs when all I'm looking for is some swing/ragtime/rock.

Thanks aplenty to Phobotech for the great user icon.

BBS Signature