Respond to this Topic
Gateau
Gateau
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Programmer
Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-10 15:10:20 Reply

Just make sure not to use 'book' as a suffix in your work. Because Facebook will sue you, seriously.

Emote mod. Contact me for emote moderation.

BBS Signature
SgtSchultzClock
SgtSchultzClock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-10 15:11:44 Reply

i'm sorry tom fulp, but i'm afraid that i will have to ignore your suggestion. tweening clocks around the stage while Queen music plays is the only thing i know how to animate, and nothing will change that. as long as i am on newgrounds, i will be submitting flash with copywritten music, and i dont plan to leave newgrounds at any point in the near future.

I KNOW NOTHING!

Osuka
Osuka
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 26
Animator
Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-10 15:13:39 Reply

I think that the audio portal should be optimized to make easier the search of music

recently i have been working with this 2 artist from the audio portal to make animations and is really great

Deflektor
TheRealSam

10JD
10JD
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-10 15:13:51 Reply

At 12/10/10 02:57 PM, Boss wrote: fuck those copyrighting pussies

why not see this as a chance for Newgrounds to grow, and strengthen users content to be more original. If everyone works to be more original who knows Newgrounds may be contracted for an animated movie ;)
prolly not though, but you get my point

Hi

Kreid
Kreid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Animator
Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-10 15:15:53 Reply

Damn :( Was half way through the first music vid I've made in a long time, and then this comes along.
Ahh well, doubt I'll have got it finished by Christmas anyway, but I guess it is a good thing after all, hopefully a huge surge in creative and piss funny toons!

Chingmongna
Chingmongna
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-10 15:20:37 Reply

I was wondering. For the audio portal, could we just download the music and give credit in our flash movies, or do we have to directly contact them for permission BEFORE we download their music and give them credit in our flash.

Calicard
Calicard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Artist
Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-10 15:25:05 Reply

Awesome!

Yeah when I first started animating I was using stuff like that.

Then I learned about copyrights and how much better off things are when original.

I support this!

-KevO

TheEntertainer
TheEntertainer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-10 15:27:25 Reply

aww man...

oh well, as long as I stay non-profit and don't overdo it I should be alright...I hope...

also a picture, 'cuz pictures are nice.

Winds of Change

Phenom9
Phenom9
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-10 15:28:29 Reply

At 12/10/10 11:47 AM, AngelofPeace wrote: Fuck this shit. Maybe you all aren't aware of the "fair use" clause in the copyright law which basically says you can't use someone else's work for lucrative purposes, but you my use it for instructional and other non-profit ends.

There is profit with ad revenue.

x-factor11
x-factor11
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-10 15:38:30 Reply

lets say we did make a music video flash, would putting in the ng dump still be alright? I don't think there is ad revenue to be made in a adless page, but what do I know.

SuperLME
SuperLME
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-10 15:48:55 Reply

Awesome!!!

SgtSchultzClock
SgtSchultzClock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-10 15:57:27 Reply

seriously though tom fulp, ur stifling mah creativity! all of my best cartoons rely on copywritten music, and they wouldn't work with music from the audio portal. i am now going to promote my wonderful flash masterpieces under the guise that i am using them as evidence to back up this anti-copywrite sentiment.
"CadillacClock <3 BluZombie" is the funniest flash i have submitted. it is full of 100% pure clock crew style humour. and it is a music video! it would not work with any other audio.
and how could i have made "SBC vs Pico RocknRoll-off" without authentic rocknroll musics?? and, as i love to toot my own horn like some sort of obsessive compulsive clown, i thought it was pretty witty of me to combine Carl Perkins and Elvis Presley into one track like that.

and now that i have finished with my shameless self-promotion, i just want to reply to the people in this thread who are saying that this is a good thing, because it will make the flash more original. but Alan Moore proved to the world with The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen that original art can be created through the use of pre-existing properties, and since reading that comic, i have viewed copyright as being a very annoying set of laws that stands in the way of an artist and his vision. in that comic, Alan Moore is forced to mainly use characters in the public domain. i sometimes like to imagine a world where everything is in the public domain, and a piece of art can use any characters or any music or any photograph that the artist desires. i imagine a lot of great works being created in this world.

omg, tl;dr, why did i even type all that??? it is not like a poorly written post on an internet forum is going to make it okay to break copyright law, so i am clearly wasting my time by typing this. ugh, this post is awful. if i had any dignity, i would not press the 'Post it! >' button. still...

I KNOW NOTHING!

Heinrich
Heinrich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 48
Movie Buff
Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-10 15:58:56 Reply

Wait, does that mean we can't photoshop pictures anymore? No more photoshop threads?

BBS Signature
Pokemonpoeguygcn
Pokemonpoeguygcn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Melancholy
Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-10 16:06:43 Reply

At 12/10/10 11:20 AM, TomFulp wrote: Also dicks are still ok.

Woohoo!

IncendiaryProduction
IncendiaryProduction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Game Developer
Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-10 16:07:39 Reply

At 12/10/10 11:20 AM, TomFulp wrote: Also dicks are still ok.

on(dicksAreStillOk){
gotoAndPlay(breathOfRelief)
}

A merry heart does good like a medicine; but a broken spirit dries the bones. Proverbs 17:22
"It's not gay because we're bros." - Gobblemeister

BBS Signature
Malachy
Malachy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Melancholy
Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-10 16:10:44 Reply

What I get out of this is not saying "do not under any circumstances because we don't allow it" but more of a "we won't be sponsoring, giving you awards, prize money, front page space if you use copyrighted music/art" and also a PSA about how to keep yourselves from being stomped on by the big companies.

Timmy said earlier that in order to even be able to claim "fair use", even if you are fully in the right, you will still have to go through the legal hoops just to get into the court room which is TIME INTENSIVE and CRAZY EXPENSIVE.

Intellectual property lawyers are specialized in the trade and your local buddy who graduated law school may not know enough about it to help you even if you think "oh hey, I know Bobby, he's about to graduate law school, he'll help me out" and then you go and throw some tweens onto a Justin Beiber song only to have the full force of a 98lb 13 year old with a gazzillion bucks and a team of lawyers knocking down your door....bobby might barely know the first thing about IP....he may have specialized in something lame like family law...hell, he probably won't be able to represent you in a federal court if they sue you because you live in Nevada and the Beibs lives in LA and Bobby is only able to work in Buttfuck nowhere Wisconsin because their bar association doesn't look too deeply at pesky police reports of dead hookers and culverts. Now you're up shit creek without a paddle and about to get metaphorically teabagged by some middle-schooler who has seizures on stage and makes little girls scream and pass out.

¥ ¥ BBS, Review and Chat Mod - PM for help or to snitch! ¥ ¥
¥ ¥
Blag [updated: 4/20/2014] ¥ ¥

BBS Signature
FireWOLF109
FireWOLF109
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-10 16:11:31 Reply

At 12/10/10 11:20 AM, TomFulp wrote: The next time you are inspired to make an animation about a cool song you heard on the radio, DON'T, unless you are comfortable with the idea of only sharing it with yourself and a few close friends. Otherwise, take that inspiration and find a song you have permission to use. There are thousands of artists in the Audio Portal who are available for that sort of thing, as well as independent artists across the web who can be contacted for permission.

Newgrounds will be a better place if everyone here learns to work together instead of turning outward for resources. If you need a background, song, title screen, etc., someone here can help you with it. We will continue to work to make that easier, because there is no alternative.

Well it's a good thing that I already got Space-Whale's permission to use their song in my game... or I would probably be in trouble (I also put him/her in the credits page)

--- BREAKING NEWS ---

If you live in or near Philadelphia, don't miss your chance to visit Bob at the Punk Rock Flea Market tomorrow, Saturday, December 11th. Print out his blog post and bring it in exchange for a $5 Penicorn!

Talk about luck (atleast for me)

BBS Signature
bob
bob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-10 16:15:09 Reply

At 12/10/10 04:10 PM, Malachy wrote: Intellectual property lawyers are specialized in the trade and your local buddy who graduated law school may not know enough about it to help you even if you think "oh hey, I know Bobby, he's about to graduate law school, he'll help me out"

I'm not a lawyer, I just play one on TV. :/

BBS Signature
MrAbnormal
MrAbnormal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-10 16:16:35 Reply

so no more ren and stimpy music?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-10 16:25:39 Reply

At 12/10/10 04:16 PM, MrAbnormal wrote: so no more ren and stimpy music?

It's been done to death anyway. Time for something new!

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
Malachy
Malachy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Melancholy
Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-10 16:25:58 Reply

At 12/10/10 04:15 PM, bob wrote:
At 12/10/10 04:10 PM, Malachy wrote: Intellectual property lawyers are specialized in the trade and your local buddy who graduated law school may not know enough about it to help you even if you think "oh hey, I know Bobby, he's about to graduate law school, he'll help me out"
I'm not a lawyer, I just play one on TV. :/

Another reason not to pay his retainer, people! five BJs and a handjob may seem like a great deal at the time...

¥ ¥ BBS, Review and Chat Mod - PM for help or to snitch! ¥ ¥
¥ ¥
Blag [updated: 4/20/2014] ¥ ¥

BBS Signature
Phobotech
Phobotech
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Animator
Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-10 16:30:33 Reply

I learned my lesson with the copyright music deal when it lost me money for my C-3PO short, but does this mean if it contains, like, movie soundtrack stuff it's not even going to be front paged? I'll try to find an alternative...in fact, I'm strongly considering taking up music composition / keyboarding classes specifically so I can compose original scores. But I agree, this could tidy things up, and quite possibly give the Audio Portal some much needed support.

...which btw, when will collabs be possible in Audio Submissions?

"I sail through a golden nexus. By tanks with armor that glisten. I watch and I play with creations, and what I'm not reading, I listen." <-

BBS Signature
Xaotik
Xaotik
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Programmer
Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-10 16:31:37 Reply

Need to say, as an advocate of original work, I always think that projects come out way better when the resources are tailored to the "skeleton" of the work, not the other way around.

I'm liking this change a lot, imagination/originality FTW.

EJR
EJR
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 33
Animator
Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-10 16:39:18 Reply

Oh man, I actually recently took a Red Hot Chili Peppers song off of one of my old sprite flash submissions recently to something in the Audio Portal. Cool 2 know though.

Portal, Chat & BBS Moderator

BBS Signature
Mexifry
Mexifry
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-10 16:41:30 Reply

At 12/10/10 04:25 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 12/10/10 04:16 PM, MrAbnormal wrote: so no more ren and stimpy music?
It's been done to death anyway. Time for something new!

On boy time to find new music for our cartoon. :P

PBass
PBass
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Animator
Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-10 16:43:19 Reply

Fair use has no use against a large company with expensive lawyers.

I assume Newgrounds makes a profit, and it's got a significant amount of copyrighted material on it. Just because the individual user might not be pulling in money, ads are on each page.

Yeah we're losing something we enjoy, but we've had our fun. I think it's a step in the right direction.

"Animation is not the art of drawings that move, but the art of movements that are drawn." -Norman McLaren

Phobotech
Phobotech
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Animator
Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-10 16:54:47 Reply

WAIT! What if we, the users, did unique covers of songs that we absolutely want to include? As if Ronnie James Dio (R.I.P.) would have a problem with us having our own performances of, for example, "Holy Diver" like Killswitch and many other bands have. Hell, we could even submit the MP3 to the Audio Portal. Is that okay?

"I sail through a golden nexus. By tanks with armor that glisten. I watch and I play with creations, and what I'm not reading, I listen." <-

BBS Signature
Nangbaby
Nangbaby
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Reader
Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-10 16:54:48 Reply

What a day did I pick to check out Newgrounds again...

While I understand the legal necessity for this announcement, I do admit I am saddened by it. It's not just parodies, but good, transformative fan works that are thrown under the bus and will have no large scale venues for viewers. I definitely am of the belief that original work, no matter how terrible it is, is of more societal value than even the best fanart, but unsolicited and an unauthorized fan works have their place as well, and it need not necessarily be under a rock.

This, I suppose is the double-edged sword of Newgrounds' growth. With great audience comes great responsibility. It's just sad because unlike some other popular sites, there is a relatively higher bar for submitting a material. It's a lot harder to make even a short sprite Flash movie to a music video than it is to set up, record, and trim a clip of oneself unpacking a box, but according to the eyes of the law, the former is copyright infringement and lawsuit-bait, and the latter is okay,

Besides, if I didn't know better, I'd suspect the original post was reverse psychology at work.

BBS Signature
Rig
Rig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-10 16:58:31 Reply

This site needs a sort of job-search feature.

____________________________Bel-Air remixes! You must listen!____________________________

BBS Signature
sumidiotdude
sumidiotdude
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-10 17:00:03 Reply

Come gather 'round people, wherever you roam...

PM me for info on bears Suhm-Id-Ee-Uht-Dood not Puh-Tur-Oh.
Last.fm

BBS Signature