00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

spiritgarden just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii

35,831 Views | 404 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-01-22 19:42:59

I had an art thread before, but all the images within it seem to have disappeared, so I'm now starting a new one. I'm not quite sure as to why my old thread bugged, but I believe it's a result of the recent maintenance on this site a few days ago.
I am Luxembourg. I'll be posting my drawings here. I'm 16 years old and have never taken art classes. I get my very limited amount of talent from practice and constantly looking up art on the internet. I like making my art with surrealism, girls, and supernatural things, particularly ghosts.
I'll start with one of the images that I had in my original thread. It's quite simple, but I rather like it.
Criticisms and tips are always welcome and flames are generally disliked.

My Art Thread.

Eeureka! With an exclamation point!

BBS Signature

Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-01-22 19:48:50

This is a drawing I finished just yesterday. It was drawn in pen, scanned, then digitally colored and shaded in Corel Painter Essentials 4.
I know of one bad problem with it, and that's her left leg (the one in back). The pose doesn't make a whole lot of sense, since her torso is done at a completely side-based angle.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature

Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-01-22 19:54:24

Here's another old one. Please excuse the lined paper, I have a nasty habit of using it.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature

Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-01-22 19:57:25

Mr. Mask, digitally redone. This was the piece that I opened my original thread with. This is one of my personal favorite drawings. It was originally drawn in pencil, but I made a digital version per request. The digital version is just a traced version using layers; as a result, it looks almost identical to the pencil version, but far more clear.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature

Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-01-22 20:22:21

pretty awesome stuff man. I like the way you draw. Reminds me of my own work. Keep it up!

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature

Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-01-22 20:32:14

At 1/22/10 08:22 PM, Fifty-50 wrote: pretty awesome stuff man. I like the way you draw. Reminds me of my own work. Keep it up!

Thanks. Your work uses a lot of shading, though. I'm not very good at shading, so, in that respect, you put me to shame.

I'll use this post to put another drawing up.
I drew this in pencil, and, similarly to Mr. Mask, I redid it digitally. I also colored it and shaded it digitally. I don't draw many male characters, and the end result in this is that I can't help but strangely think of Disgaea from how the guy's head looks. I think it might be how I did the hair, but I'm not sure. Not exactly the result I wanted, as I try and avoid allowing anime to influence my art.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature

Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-01-22 20:36:29

This is a somewhat old drawing. It's quite messy looking as a result of how it scanned. I was pretty pleased with how the cloth folds came out.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature

Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-01-22 20:40:58

Too few of my pieces use backgrounds. I made this drawing several months back because I wanted to remedy that. It took several hours, but that's mostly because I'm too damn slow. I was pretty pleased with the end result but it's obviously nowhere near flawless.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature

Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-01-22 21:26:58

Here's another pencil drawing. Lots of details on this one. I used a picture reference of a Korean teenage girl for the shape of the face and the shapes of the eyes, which I feel I did well on. The nose and the mouth escaped me, though, so I improvised with my own sub-par lower facial features. The body is a tad too small, though. It's disproportionate.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature

Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-01-22 21:31:20

Jeez, I feel strange being the only one posting here. Oh well, I want to keep putting my art out there. I have a whole binder full of it. (No exaggeration, it's hard to turn the pages because there's a lot in there.)
This is a drawing I just finished earlier today. More of a doodle, really. Done in pen.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature

Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-01-22 21:37:17

Here's a doodle I made a while back to practice shading, particularly with strange light sources. In this case, they're the bulbs on the end of her scepter. The character's name is the Moth Queen.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature

Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-01-22 22:34:07

First full drawing done digitally. I still haven't added a background. I've tried, but I can't get anything that seems to work.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature

Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-01-22 22:35:38

Closeup on the girl and her ghosts.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature

Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-01-22 22:41:32

At 1/22/10 07:42 PM, Luxembourg wrote: I had an art thread before, but all the images within it seem to have disappeared, so I'm now starting a new one. I'm not quite sure as to why my old thread bugged, but I believe it's a result of the recent maintenance on this site a few days ago.

Yeah, sorry about that... normally I'd tell you to just repost in your other thread, but... due to the extenuating circumstances, a new thread seems like a good plan (I deleted the other one).

Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-01-22 22:46:23

At 1/22/10 10:41 PM, ReNaeNae wrote:

Yeah, sorry about that... normally I'd tell you to just repost in your other thread, but... due to the extenuating circumstances, a new thread seems like a good plan (I deleted the other one).

Thanks for helping out, then.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature

Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-01-23 09:07:39

Try posting more art with black pen or color. That's when your art looks best!

I am a FAB

BBS Signature

Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-01-23 09:34:41

Your line art is awesome, you just need to try and work on your shading and colouring. You should also try drawing people in more active positions, like someone running towards the screen or something.

don't be late | Collab101 | Australian Users List | Nayhan's actionScript examples > click

Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-01-23 09:56:38

At 1/23/10 09:07 AM, windowskiller wrote: Try posting more art with black pen or color. That's when your art looks best!

I know it looks best like that. The problem there, though, lies with the fact that I don't really do a whole lot with color and my use of pen is an extraordinarily rare phenomena.
I do have a couple works that use colored pencil, but they don't look anywhere near as clean as the drawings posted above.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature

Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-01-23 10:00:30

At 1/23/10 09:56 AM, Luxembourg wrote:
At 1/23/10 09:07 AM, windowskiller wrote: Try posting more art with black pen or color. That's when your art looks best!
I know it looks best like that. The problem there, though, lies with the fact that I don't really do a whole lot with color and my use of pen is an extraordinarily rare phenomena.
I do have a couple works that use colored pencil, but they don't look anywhere near as clean as the drawings posted above.

You should try and practice your colouring then, not with colour pencils though, they're not good for colouring but digitally and with paint perhaps. Your line art is already really good so if you get better at shading and colouring you'll be an awesome artist.

Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-01-23 10:14:29

I drew this in pencil, and, similarly to Mr. Mask, I redid it digitally. I also colored it and shaded it digitally.

Thats my favorite piece of yours. Its very light, but looks very good.

I am a FAB

BBS Signature

Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-01-23 19:18:40

Since people have said that my work looks best in color, I thought I'd include the drawing I made to be my userpage header. Done completely in Corel Painter Essentials 4.
My page has a much smoother, cleaner looking version of this. The forum kills a little quality in images posted.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature

Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-01-24 16:47:45

I wish I could get a little more response.
Here's a drawing that was also in my old thread. This was my submission to the Levels collab. It won't make it in (Redminus submitted a fantastic octopus with shuriken), but I see no reason why not to post it.
Drawn in pen, colored digitally.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature

Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-01-24 16:54:50

At 1/24/10 04:47 PM, Luxembourg wrote: I wish I could get a little more response.
Here's a drawing that was also in my old thread. This was my submission to the Levels collab. It won't make it in (Redminus submitted a fantastic octopus with shuriken), but I see no reason why not to post it.

I really like this, but it seems unfinished. Are you gonna go back and colour it in more or anything?

Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-01-24 17:03:46

At 1/24/10 04:54 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
At 1/24/10 04:47 PM, Luxembourg wrote: I wish I could get a little more response.
I really like this, but it seems unfinished. Are you gonna go back and colour it in more or anything?

I was trying various different ways to color it, but I kind of gave up as soon as I saw Redminus' WIP. He's now finished his work and I felt like mine was worthless in comparison. I'll probably go and finish it off sometime, but I feel as though I have some more important artistic endeavors at hand.
It may look a little bare, but it was intended to have an aura in the background, like level icons do.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature

Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-01-24 17:09:18

At 1/24/10 05:03 PM, Luxembourg wrote: I was trying various different ways to color it, but I kind of gave up as soon as I saw Redminus' WIP. He's now finished his work and I felt like mine was worthless in comparison. I'll probably go and finish it off sometime, but I feel as though I have some more important artistic endeavors at hand.
It may look a little bare, but it was intended to have an aura in the background, like level icons do.

Yeah, I understand, but I can see this done as it's own thing too. So keep up the fighting spirit.

Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-01-24 18:24:29

I have more arts to post!
Here's yet another drawing I made in pencil then traced over digitally. It came out pretty cleanly, and I think I'll color it later tonight.
I kind of wanted to post the pencil version, though, as I was pretty proud of the original. It was the cleanest drawing I have ever made. It scanned very messily, though. Oh well, this version is even cleaner.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature

Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-01-24 18:27:05

Over all interesting characters and good art work.

Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-01-24 19:02:44

At 1/24/10 06:27 PM, wesmeadow wrote: Over all interesting characters and good art work.

Why thank you, sir!

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature

Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-01-25 20:31:51

At 1/24/10 06:24 PM, Luxembourg wrote: I have more arts to post!
Here's yet another drawing I made in pencil then traced over digitally. It came out pretty cleanly, and I think I'll color it later tonight.
I kind of wanted to post the pencil version, though, as I was pretty proud of the original. It was the cleanest drawing I have ever made. It scanned very messily, though. Oh well, this version is even cleaner.

Okay, if anybody happens into this thread, I wish to ask of your opinion. How should I color this? I cant figure out a good color scheme to use with this drawing. Just a little advice would be nice.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature

Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-01-27 21:10:50

New art! Well, really, it's old art that's been redone, like most of the other pieces here. This was actually a small part of a larger drawing, but it was the only thing I was even remotely pleased with in the drawing, so it's all I'll be posting.
As you can guess, drawn in pencil, scanned, then digitally traced and colored.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature