New Topic Respond to this Topic
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-09-06 19:12:32 Reply

At 9/6/10 07:07 PM, MonkeykingZX wrote: hope you don't mind but got bored and coloured your second moth drawing, will upload via imageshack once it's done

I don't mind! Bit of a strange choice, though, I've gotta admit.

And god, I didn't realize how messy looking the pirate is until I posted it. It doesn't look quite as bad in real life.

My Art Thread.
Eeureka! With an exclamation point!

BBS Signature
MonkeykingZX
MonkeykingZX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-09-06 19:12:57 Reply

well here's my attempt at colouring your art :)

Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-09-06 19:15:58 Reply

At 9/6/10 07:12 PM, MonkeykingZX wrote: well here's my attempt at colouring your art :)

The moth looks a bit strange, but I quite like what you did with the dark area and the orbs.

I tried practicing some cross-hatching on this one. I'm not sure I'm a fan of the technique, but I'll try it some more in the future.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
Kashi
Kashi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-09-06 19:31:02 Reply

At 9/6/10 06:57 PM, Luxembourg wrote: here's a more realistic drawing I did as practice for how to construct a human face properly. I also really wanted to draw someone with a handlebar mustache. It's not great (I'm terrible with realism), but I figure I should show it.

lol, funny.
theres a few places you can find tuts (DA anyone?) yadda yadda yadda among others. always fun to improve, i guess. also, pretty interesting to see other people's takes on anatomy and their way of teaching it

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 53
Voice Actor
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-09-06 19:33:45 Reply

At 9/6/10 06:43 PM, Luxembourg wrote: So, yeah, I've always drawn lots of ghosts.

Personally, with regards to your art, I'd call them spirits as oppose to ghosts. Or maybe wisps.

Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-09-06 19:45:00 Reply

Thanks for the suggestions, Kashi!

And Johnny, I see where you're coming from, since 'ghost' usually has a negative connotation and those don't, but I've always called my little spirit/phantom/ghost/wisp/whatevers ghosts and I can't help but think of that as what they are.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-09-06 20:33:28 Reply

I got slapped in the face when I saw how much work you had posted since I had last posted - and I have to say, it's all great - you've really got that style of yours under wraps, to the point where it doesn't really remind me of Tim Burton anymore, that style is your own and it reminds me of your other artwork - which in all truth and glory is a great thing.

MonkeykingZX
MonkeykingZX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-09-06 20:40:56 Reply

At 9/6/10 07:45 PM, Luxembourg wrote: Thanks for the suggestions, Kashi!

And Johnny, I see where you're coming from, since 'ghost' usually has a negative connotation and those don't, but I've always called my little spirit/phantom/ghost/wisp/whatevers ghosts and I can't help but think of that as what they are.

got bored again, will go back to drawing my own stuff now i promise :D

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-09-06 20:53:55 Reply

At 9/6/10 08:40 PM, MonkeykingZX wrote:

Interesting. That black effect around the ghosts is really cool, as is the sky. I find it so weird that you want to color my drawings, but it's kind of flattering. Thanks.

At 9/6/10 08:33 PM, Lintire wrote: I got slapped in the face when I saw how much work you had posted since I had last posted - and I have to say, it's all great - you've really got that style of yours under wraps, to the point where it doesn't really remind me of Tim Burton anymore, that style is your own and it reminds me of your other artwork - which in all truth and glory is a great thing.

Thanks, Linty! That's what I've been wanting to hear since the first time I got compared to him. I don't want to look like Burton, I want to look like Luxembourg.
As for the huge spree, I've been saying for a while that I've been drawing mostly in pencil rather than digitally, and I only became able to prove it last night, when I got a new scanner. Pencil is so much easier for me to work in, and it's a much better medium to get the more imaginative stuff out because I can draw soon after I get an idea. Digital work ends up with more impressive results, but it takes more time and I have to be at my computer to draw in it, so I can't just draw as soon as inspiration strikes. It sucks that there's a limit to what one can submit to the art portal in one day, but ah well.
Glad you like the work.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
MonkeykingZX
MonkeykingZX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-09-06 21:01:43 Reply

At 9/6/10 08:53 PM, Luxembourg wrote:
At 9/6/10 08:40 PM, MonkeykingZX wrote:
Interesting. That black effect around the ghosts is really cool, as is the sky. I find it so weird that you want to color my drawings, but it's kind of flattering. Thanks.

It's very different to my style so it's nice to be able to practice a different type of colouring, plus your drawings are pretty good so it's all good

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-09-06 21:54:39 Reply

I'll use my 800th post to post the last one I've got scanned at the moment. I'll try and scan up some more tomorrow, though I don't entirely know which ones to scan.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
Kashi
Kashi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-09-06 22:23:00 Reply

At 9/6/10 09:54 PM, Luxembourg wrote: I'll use my 800th post to post the last one I've got scanned at the moment. I'll try and scan up some more tomorrow, though I don't entirely know which ones to scan.

he... looks... fucking cute. wow, lol
also, grats on the 800 (now how far for me...?)

Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-09-11 14:25:12 Reply

Practice.
I think I'm getting better at this whole "painting" thing. Nevermind the horrible facial proportions; that's not the point here.
I'd love some feedback on this. I'd especially love some tips on how to digitally paint hair.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
Daverom
Daverom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Melancholy
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-09-11 14:33:56 Reply

For painting in general, frankly I'm shit at it, but I've found it's a bit easier to have a sketch and to make the background a dark color, and work from light to the background color, compared to go from white to color to dark.
I'm gonna guess you know how to make a custom brush so what I did, was making 5 or 6 dots and make a brush, and set the space to 1, and other settings to your liking

Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-09-11 14:38:28 Reply

At 9/11/10 02:33 PM, M-Vero wrote: For painting in general, frankly I'm shit at it, but I've found it's a bit easier to have a sketch and to make the background a dark color, and work from light to the background color, compared to go from white to color to dark.
I'm gonna guess you know how to make a custom brush so what I did, was making 5 or 6 dots and make a brush, and set the space to 1, and other settings to your liking

I'm not working in Photoshop, I'm working in Painter. There aren't any custome brushes in Painter as far as I know, but there are tons of brushes to choose from to begin with. I did have a sketch, but I didn't show it in this image because all it did was outline the painted areas.
The dark to light suggestion seems like a pretty good idea. Thanks for the tips, Vero.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
DemocracyFTW
DemocracyFTW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-09-11 14:45:47 Reply

At 9/11/10 02:38 PM, Luxembourg wrote:

I'm not working in Photoshop, I'm working in Painter. There aren't any custome brushes in Painter as far as I know, but there are tons of brushes to choose from to begin with. I did have a sketch, but I didn't show it in this image because all it did was outline the painted areas.
The dark to light suggestion seems like a pretty good idea. Thanks for the tips, Vero.

I really like your more recent painting, has a really neat style to it. How do you get such smooth transitions from each color? Or to put it better, how do you blend it so well?

every morn I awake from the cavernous night
look at my pictures
look at pictures I look at

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-09-11 14:52:47 Reply

At 9/11/10 02:45 PM, DemocracyFTW wrote:
At 9/11/10 02:38 PM, Luxembourg wrote:

I really like your more recent painting, has a really neat style to it. How do you get such smooth transitions from each color? Or to put it better, how do you blend it so well?

I actually thought I was doing a pretty poor job of that, honestly, especially on the leftmost cheek.

You can get smooth transitions by using more colors. Instead of just color A and color F (assume one is the base skin color and the other is the shading on that skin) you want to use colors A, B, C, D, E, and F. More gradual changes cause smoothness.
It also looks pretty smooth because I'm not using drastically different shades, like I should be doing. Closer shades don't have as much contrast but match up more. I wouldn't suggest using closer shades to get the effect of smoothness, though. I really should be using darker shades myself, so that the shading shows more.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
DemocracyFTW
DemocracyFTW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-09-11 14:54:42 Reply

At 9/11/10 02:52 PM, Luxembourg wrote: Explanation for above question

Hmm, I see. Recently I've been whoring out photoshop's opacity feature, so I'll have to try this. Thanks!

look at my pictures

BBS Signature
Joshsouza
Joshsouza
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-09-11 18:29:49 Reply

At 9/11/10 02:25 PM, Luxembourg wrote: Practice.
I think I'm getting better at this whole "painting" thing. Nevermind the horrible facial proportions; that's not the point here.
I'd love some feedback on this. I'd especially love some tips on how to digitally paint hair.

This is coming out very good, I suck at transitioning the shading thing so this is pretty good.

Need a Review? Go to Review Request Club

Also please look at my art!

Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-09-11 22:53:03 Reply

Lux, you've done a brilliant job with this painting - your style comes out clearly defined and the colour transitions are, well, very smooth and gradual, and make the painting seem all the much better. As for digitally painting hair, I could do naught but point you on to some tutorial or other, so not going to waste any time. Besides, all the tuts I know are for Photoshop.

Just asking, how long did it take you to do that one small bit? I'm not exactly the expert, or anything, on digital painting but I hear that it takes absolutely ages.

Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-09-11 23:05:47 Reply

At 9/11/10 10:53 PM, Lintire wrote: Lux, you've done a brilliant job with this painting - your style comes out clearly defined and the colour transitions are, well, very smooth and gradual, and make the painting seem all the much better. As for digitally painting hair, I could do naught but point you on to some tutorial or other, so not going to waste any time. Besides, all the tuts I know are for Photoshop.

Just asking, how long did it take you to do that one small bit? I'm not exactly the expert, or anything, on digital painting but I hear that it takes absolutely ages.

Thanks.
I'm new to it and I don't think I'm doing it in as refined a manner as most do it, but I did this bit in something like 1 to 2 hours. I wasn't entirely paying attention to time. It does take a lot longer than just drawing it (especially since I did draw it beforehand) and coloring in, but I think a lot of that has to do with how experienced you are with it. This is my third attempt at doing this (the other two can be found on this page.) and I've mostly just been figuring it out myself, so I still have very little idea exactly what I'm doing.

I'll try and finish the girl sometime tonight or tomorrow. I'll just try and get creative with the hair.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-09-11 23:57:52 Reply

I added some hair. Can't say it's an improvement, but I'd still like some feedback.
Something's off about it and I can't place my finger on exactly what it is.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
DemocracyFTW
DemocracyFTW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-09-12 00:06:45 Reply

At 9/11/10 11:57 PM, Luxembourg wrote: I added some hair. Can't say it's an improvement, but I'd still like some feedback.

Personally, I'd say the hair should be about shoulder length, but that's just my preference. I'd add some highlights to the hair, It looks... Off right now. Good work, though, I suck at digital and your making it look easy!

look at my pictures

BBS Signature
Daverom
Daverom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Melancholy
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-09-12 00:11:34 Reply

Long neck is long

Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-09-12 00:14:50 Reply

At 9/12/10 12:06 AM, DemocracyFTW wrote:
At 9/11/10 11:57 PM, Luxembourg wrote: I added some hair. Can't say it's an improvement, but I'd still like some feedback.
Personally, I'd say the hair should be about shoulder length, but that's just my preference. I'd add some highlights to the hair, It looks... Off right now. Good work, though, I suck at digital and your making it look easy!

I don't do usually do long hair because I personally don't like long hair. I have the strangest taste when it comes to that; I think girls look fantastic with short hair (well, when they're feminine anyways. Some girls look too butch with short hair), and I think it's a shame that more girls don't cut their hair short.

At least I'm getting better with femininity. I never intend my characters to look androgynous, but it happens a lot. Hopefully my girls will stop being mistaken for boys.

I agree that it looks off. I'll try and add some highlights. I think it could also benefit from me refining the edges of the hair.

Oh, and my god, this is not easy. I've done like 3 full heads of hair by now, and this is the first that I think is decent enough to post, even though it still doesn't look good.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-09-12 00:17:18 Reply

At 9/12/10 12:11 AM, M-Vero wrote: Long neck is long

I did that intentionally. I kind of like it, myself. It's a bit excessive, I suppose. I'll probably shorten it a bit when I actually start working around the shoulders, though it won't be normal length because I think it looks kind of cool long like that. It's also far too skinny, but, yet again, I like it like that.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-09-12 00:45:16 Reply

It's a good thing I'm doing all this stuff on separate layers, because, yet again, I don't think it's an improvement.

I really hope I can figure out how to make the hair look good.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
DemocracyFTW
DemocracyFTW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-09-12 00:47:19 Reply

At 9/12/10 12:45 AM, Luxembourg wrote: It's a good thing I'm doing all this stuff on separate layers, because, yet again, I don't think it's an improvement.

I think it's an improvement, although you might not want it so harsh, because it makes the cheek look not so shaded. alot better than I could handle in painter, though.

look at my pictures

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-09-12 01:04:58 Reply

At 9/12/10 12:47 AM, DemocracyFTW wrote:
At 9/12/10 12:45 AM, Luxembourg wrote: It's a good thing I'm doing all this stuff on separate layers, because, yet again, I don't think it's an improvement.

I think it's an improvement, although you might not want it so harsh, because it makes the cheek look not so shaded. alot better than I could handle in painter, though.

Smoothed out the highlights so they're not as harsh.
I also smoothed out the shading on the cheek.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
Zombie-Eskimo
Zombie-Eskimo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-09-12 01:09:57 Reply

i love you