New Topic Respond to this Topic
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-12-19 22:26:29 Reply

At 12/19/10 10:05 PM, Vonschlippe wrote: I like where your coloring is going. Keep going at it!

If you allow me to give some advice, I would encourage you to increase the contrast between your main "flat" color and your shadows! Don't be shy with contrasting shadows, as they more often than not give shape to an image. Shadows are the color zones that give volume to your form, so it's very necessary to be able to discern them well.

Little tip if you want to suggest a night scene: add a new layer on top of everything else and fill it entirely with blue or a blue gradiant. Set the layer mode to "soft light", and adjust its opacity. Tadam! instant basic color correction for a night scene!! I actually use that technique a LOT for my drawings, but I use masks instead of a pure layer color overlay.

I tried the color correction thing, and it's not as prominent as I'd like it, but it does work. Thanks for that.
About the shading: you're right. It's something I'm a complete pussy about, and it's kind of a waste, because I do put lots of shades into the works, but they're usually too soft to really notice. Just increasing the contrast doesn't really work because the shades end up just looking weird when juxtaposing; it's really more of a problem with me just not using dark enough shades on top of the base colors to begin with. Something I really need to improve with (though I have improved a lot, considering I used to be incapable of digitally shading.)

Anyways, thanks for the awesome input.

My Art Thread.
Eeureka! With an exclamation point!

BBS Signature
Vonschlippe
Vonschlippe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-12-19 22:53:06 Reply

I tried the color correction thing, and it's not as prominent as I'd like it, but it does work. Thanks for that.
About the shading: you're right. It's something I'm a complete pussy about, and it's kind of a waste, because I do put lots of shades into the works, but they're usually too soft to really notice. Just increasing the contrast doesn't really work because the shades end up just looking weird when juxtaposing; it's really more of a problem with me just not using dark enough shades on top of the base colors to begin with. Something I really need to improve with (though I have improved a lot, considering I used to be incapable of digitally shading.)

Anyways, thanks for the awesome input.

You can try something if you're afraid of screwing up with shadows. Why not make three separate layer for your main color, for your lights, and for your shadows? That way you can always boost the shadows separately by modifying that layer alone. Put your shadows on "multiply" mode, and your lights on "screen" mode. That way you don't even have to pick a different color, you keep the same one and you just play with opacity. The layer mode does the rest.

And the best, if you screw up, it's always easy to remove a separate layer!

Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-12-19 23:13:33 Reply

At 12/19/10 10:53 PM, Vonschlippe wrote:

You can try something if you're afraid of screwing up with shadows. Why not make three separate layer for your main color, for your lights, and for your shadows? That way you can always boost the shadows separately by modifying that layer alone. Put your shadows on "multiply" mode, and your lights on "screen" mode. That way you don't even have to pick a different color, you keep the same one and you just play with opacity. The layer mode does the rest.

And the best, if you screw up, it's always easy to remove a separate layer!

That's just how I've been doing it thus far, minus the "multiply" and "screen" parts. I have a hard time messing with the brightness/contrast on one layer and getting it to not look funny, though.
Thanks for all the tips, though. Does this look any better?

Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
Vonschlippe
Vonschlippe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-12-19 23:28:07 Reply

That's just how I've been doing it thus far, minus the "multiply" and "screen" parts. I have a hard time messing with the brightness/contrast on one layer and getting it to not look funny, though.

Yes, it does!

Keep pimping those shadows! Add lighting!

This means make more layers for lighting/shadows... Add shadows to your shadows, add lighting to contrast with the shadows, and eventually blend everything in together! I did a very quick example of what you should be going towards.

Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-12-20 12:06:50 Reply

At 12/19/10 11:28 PM, Vonschlippe wrote:
Yes, it does!

Keep pimping those shadows! Add lighting!

This means make more layers for lighting/shadows... Add shadows to your shadows, add lighting to contrast with the shadows, and eventually blend everything in together! I did a very quick example of what you should be going towards.

This isn't something I've ever done to this extent, and it's something it'll take me a while to get used to, but is this more along the lines of what you're suggesting me to do?

It's not as bright, but it's a dark scene and I personally think you've made it a tad too bright.
Yet again, thanks for all the awesome help.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-12-21 17:46:08 Reply

More shading and lighting and whatnot. I'm not looking forward to shading that tree.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-12-23 10:35:06 Reply

It's done, I think.
I'd strongly suggest looking at it in fullsize.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 53
Voice Actor
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-12-23 11:28:33 Reply

At 12/23/10 10:35 AM, Luxembourg wrote: It's done, I think.

I always enjoy the wisps in your drawings.

Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-12-23 16:11:34 Reply

At 12/23/10 11:28 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
At 12/23/10 10:35 AM, Luxembourg wrote: It's done, I think.
I always enjoy the wisps in your drawings.

Thank ya, sir.
The ghosts are my favorite things to draw, just about.

My dad calls them sperms.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-12-29 11:03:02 Reply

For Christmas, I got lots of art stuff. Paints and canvas and such.
I've never really painted (with real paint, anyways), but I've been messing around for the past few days and I feel I'm starting to adjust to the medium. I've finished one piece and I'm in the process of making another one, which I feel is coming along far better than this one.
This one kind of sucks, but bear in mind it's my first time using this medium. It's a character I've wanted to put into some kind of piece for a little while called the Melon King.
Acrylic on Canvas, 10x10.

If anybody has any tips for painting with acrylics, they'd be greatly appreciated.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
Felis
Felis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-12-29 12:07:39 Reply

At 12/29/10 11:03 AM, Luxembourg wrote:
If anybody has any tips for painting with acrylics, they'd be greatly appreciated.

Taking a class, I have a little bit of experience.

Have you tried thinning the paint with water? You can't use too much (and too much can really be only a bit of water), or else it becomes transparent, but if you use just a teensy bit, it becomes a lot easier to do detail work, no matter the brush size.

Of course, that depends on how you're trying to paint. My painting teacher goes on and on about "painterly technique", which is basically using a buttload of paint so that the picture has a lot of texture. Basically, it means pulling what Van Gogh did and brushing paint all over the place (Van Gogh was very fond of swirls). Painting like this really means not worrying about technique, though, because big strokes sort of nullify precision.

You can only paint like that if you have a lot of paint, though.

Now for the only actual advice I have, is that it seems you accidentally drybrushed in a few places. As in, there wasn't enough paint or other wet stuff on the brush, so it has sort of a scattered stroke, not full and clean. The fix to this is simple; use alot of paint. Again, this ruins precision a lot of the time, but if you're careful, you won't have to resort to pulling a Jackson Pollock. Also, painting BG before anything else helps alot, but you won't be able to refer to any penciling to stuck on the canvas/paper/cardboard.

Do you use Gesso before painting? I guarantee that it makes the end result look better, as any primer does. The side effect though is making your acrylic dry about twice as quickly, so carefulness.

The only thing that bothers me is that the crown seems to be behind him, if you know what I mean. The glow from the moonlight makes it so the crown doesn't exactly seem to be floating atop his head, if you know what I'm trying to get at.

Also, the moon is sort of egg shaped, but fun fact: it's actually egg shaped IRL, too. We just can't notice it.

That's almost not even a problem, though. I like the character and the scenery, especially the regal mustache that the king of melons is sporting.

Does he reign over Honeydews and Cantaloupes, too?

I have nothing to say that is at all relevant.

BBS Signature
Vinnyy
Vinnyy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Gamer
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-12-29 12:21:19 Reply

Pretty awesome stuff man. Love the way you draw.

Just chillin' like always.

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-12-29 16:12:18 Reply

At 12/29/10 12:07 PM, Felis wrote:
At 12/29/10 11:03 AM, Luxembourg wrote:
Taking a class, I have a little bit of experience.

Have you tried thinning the paint with water? You can't use too much (and too much can really be only a bit of water), or else it becomes transparent, but if you use just a teensy bit, it becomes a lot easier to do detail work, no matter the brush size.

In some places, yes, but I messed up with the water a few times and diluted the paint too much.

Of course, that depends on how you're trying to paint. My painting teacher goes on and on about "painterly technique", which is basically using a buttload of paint so that the picture has a lot of texture. Basically, it means pulling what Van Gogh did and brushing paint all over the place (Van Gogh was very fond of swirls). Painting like this really means not worrying about technique, though, because big strokes sort of nullify precision.

Texture isn't exactly what I'm aiming for, it's just sort of a byproduct of inexperience. I would honestly prefer to get a smoother result with the paint.

You can only paint like that if you have a lot of paint, though.
Now for the only actual advice I have, is that it seems you accidentally drybrushed in a few places. As in, there wasn't enough paint or other wet stuff on the brush, so it has sort of a scattered stroke, not full and clean. The fix to this is simple; use alot of paint. Again, this ruins precision a lot of the time, but if you're careful, you won't have to resort to pulling a Jackson Pollock. Also, painting BG before anything else helps alot, but you won't be able to refer to any penciling to stuck on the canvas/paper/cardboard.

I'm still getting used to rationing paint so that I can maximize how much i get on the canvas before it all dries, so some areas are drybrushed because I was trying to get more out of paint that was starting to dry. I was trying to refer to a pencil drawing underneath, so painting the background wasn't something I was in a position to try out. I usually rely pretty heavily on sketches, so painting the background first isn't something I'm going to be able to instantly adjust to doing.

Do you use Gesso before painting? I guarantee that it makes the end result look better, as any primer does. The side effect though is making your acrylic dry about twice as quickly, so carefulness.

I honestly don't have any idea what Gesso is. I used no kind of primer, though if it helps, I'll try to get some to use.

The only thing that bothers me is that the crown seems to be behind him, if you know what I mean. The glow from the moonlight makes it so the crown doesn't exactly seem to be floating atop his head, if you know what I'm trying to get at.

I can see what you mean. I

Also, the moon is sort of egg shaped, but fun fact: it's actually egg shaped IRL, too. We just can't notice it.
That's almost not even a problem, though. I like the character and the scenery, especially the regal mustache that the king of melons is sporting.

Does he reign over Honeydews and Cantaloupes, too?

Yes, he does.
Thanks for the huge loads of advice, Felis. Much appreciated.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
DemocracyFTW
DemocracyFTW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-12-29 16:23:34 Reply

As for tips with acrylic paint, one thing that always helps is priming your canvas. Some of them can come pre-primed, but if you use something called acrylic gel, or acrylic medium (it's name escapes me at the moment) it makes the paint much more manageable. It will glide across the canvas, which lets you use less paint, and finer lines. Another thing you should always do is tint your canvas. Alot of the time you will find little white spots or something, and tinting your canvas, which is really just watering down paint and painting the entire thing. This is a good example. He is going to use cool colors, so he tints it with a cool color. Sorry for the lengthy post, I hope you understand what i'm getting at.

every morn I awake from the cavernous night
look at my pictures
look at pictures I look at

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-12-31 22:49:41 Reply

My second painting.
Well, it could also be considered my second, third, and fourth paintings if you want to be technical.
I made a triptych!
If you look at it full-size, that'd be pretty neat.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2011-02-05 22:49:57 Reply

WIP
It's a sketch and some progress on the lineart.
Aiming for something pretty colorful with this. I made this character a long ass time ago, but never got around to using her for anything. The prismatic ghosts, I've used before, but this if my first time incorporating them into anything digital.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2011-02-16 18:30:50 Reply

Further WIP.

Also have a decent number of pencil drawings I may upload in the near future.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
Kashi
Kashi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2011-02-16 18:57:57 Reply

At 2/16/11 06:30 PM, Luxembourg wrote: Further WIP.

Yay, rainbow-popsicle wisps!
I think the colors of the character and the wisps could be a bit brighter so they pop out of the background.

Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2011-02-16 19:08:01 Reply

At 2/16/11 06:57 PM, Kakashi1930 wrote:
At 2/16/11 06:30 PM, Luxembourg wrote: Further WIP.

Yay, rainbow-popsicle wisps!
I think the colors of the character and the wisps could be a bit brighter so they pop out of the background.

It will be done.
As well, each prismatic ghost will have a colored light floating above them, and there will be the moon's glow, so once I add in lighting, the piece will appear brighter. (Though there will be shades, of course, giving it contrast).
As for now, the base colors aren't even complete yet.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2011-02-25 20:55:49 Reply

Further WIP. I'm really liking how the shading is coming out thus far- I usually do a much poorer job with shading digitally.
I've been procrastinating way too much with this piece, so I'm gonna try and finish it tonight.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2011-02-25 20:57:27 Reply

Oh, wow, that's extremely unclear.
Here's a better cut of it.

I hope.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
Fifty-50
Fifty-50
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2011-02-25 20:59:28 Reply

I do say Lux, I've been intrigued by your style ever since I saw your works. They are quite interesting. Seems to give off a macabre-like aura. I personally like it.

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 53
Voice Actor
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2011-02-25 22:58:17 Reply

At 2/25/11 08:57 PM, Luxembourg wrote: Oh, wow, that's extremely unclear.
I hope.

Pac-Man sure has changed a lot since my day.

Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2011-02-25 23:15:28 Reply

Hey Lux. Glad to see you're still doing art, even if you're not going to that art school.

The thing I'm noticing with your shading is that you have a tendency to restrict your shading to simply the edges - that is, you're still thinking of them as 2D characters.

I'd advise that you go ahead and change this - learn to bring your characters to LIFE. Think of them as 3D, so don't be afraid to start the shading - with that brish of yours, in the middle of the characters, then warp and solder it as you work your way out.

As it is, you're doing fine, and improving the shading at your own rate. But if you're having trouble thinking 3D, why not try drawing a series of blocks. Blocks, Cubes, 3D objects, draw a few, and learn to turn the object around in your mind to look for lighting, the like. It's invaluable to think like a Graphical designer in shading your characters.

All the same, great work, and I like how it's coming along. I'd say to either make the pictures more busy, or to clip them out better to get rid of that "2Dism" further. Good luck, man.

CloudEater
CloudEater
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2011-02-25 23:56:45 Reply

I think the colours could be better, they seem a bit too saturated and everything seems a bit too dark so perhaps intense highlights or something. The drawing and character/s are really cool though.

Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2011-02-26 00:03:39 Reply

At 2/25/11 10:58 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
At 2/25/11 08:57 PM, Luxembourg wrote: Oh, wow, that's extremely unclear.
I hope.
Pac-Man sure has changed a lot since my day.

Yes, Johnny. Pacman is now a spirit girl with a CMYK scarf and stockings and a detached head. The ghosts are now attached to poles and can no longer chase Pacman as a result, so they just pal around. Psh, Mazes are silly.

At 2/25/11 11:15 PM, Lintire wrote: Hey Lux. Glad to see you're still doing art, even if you're not going to that art school.
etc.

I actually was trying to move away from that with this. It's hard, I'll admit. Look, you can see that more of the shading is concentrated towards the center of her body and head, though, as that's facing away from the moon. The little cloud on the ghost also has more 3D minded shading. I'm also using far more shading throughout than I usually do. I may not be to a good point with this yet, but I'm making massive strides forward with this piece in particular. Thanks for the tips, I'll take those into account in the future; you do have a good point.

Here's the shading layer isolated alone so you can see just the shading without everything else.

Keep in mind that I've since done more stuff with the drawing.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2011-02-27 19:45:42 Reply

Welp, I think I've finished it. I don't like how some things turned out, but I don't think this piece is too bad.

FULL SIZE.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
Spunky6666
Spunky6666
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2011-02-28 15:30:20 Reply

At 2/27/11 07:45 PM, Luxembourg wrote: Welp, I think I've finished it. I don't like how some things turned out, but I don't think this piece is too bad.

Too bad? Um, no. That's actually pretty great stuff. I'm interested in art that's vaguely creepy, and that pretty much hits the nail on the head. I like the colors too. Nice job.

Come reply to my Art Thread or I will forever hate you with a passion!

BBS Signature
Nicol3
Nicol3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2011-02-28 16:20:23 Reply

Nice work, man. I can already tell you're getting better and better. Soon enough you're gonna be far past anyone on here-- I can tell!

One thing to really keep in mind. It's a mistake I always used to make when I first started digital coloring.

Try to stay away from using low-opacity black. Not only does it make drawings look flat at times, but too much of it can really take away from the quality of your colors.

Instead, think of other single opaque, darker colors that can substitute layers and layers of low alpha black. Also-- use low-alpha brushes as a last resort, and attempt to just color using values.

When coloring, (and this also applies to painting with acrylic, so listen up) don't apply your mid tones (IE, your solid colors like red yellow, blue etc) then 'shade' with black afterwards. Go backwards-- start with your DARKEST values first. Then with single, large plots of color, begin to shape your midtones. After that comes highlights (your brightest colors).

There are many many many ways to approach digital painting. But the method above is really handy for photoshop, beacause you have complete and total control over what color you put down. So instead of attempting to blend everything together to look 'smooth' or 3D-- think about building up your colors. From dark to light. Don't rely too harshly on the saturation slider (This is another mistake I used to make).

Instead of using the color wheel/picker/slider, go to your swatches window in PS (or whatever program you're using) and attempt to build up your colors using the colors provided there. Remeber-- the highlight color for red isn't always a lighter shade of red. It could be yellow, orange-- even turquoise blue.

Finally, keep lighting in mind. What direction is your light source coming from? (but I can already see you're starting to catch onto that as well)

All I can suggest with any of these tips is to always take a look at some reference. Google images is awesome. I'm always using it to reference anatomy of both women and men. Naked, bent over chicks galore. Use it whenever you need to just get a glimpse of how a human figure moves, bends, sits. Don't always rely on "construction lines"-- because if your anatomy's wrong, then there's no point in even constructing anything.

Nicol3
Nicol3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2011-02-28 16:23:05 Reply

Oooone more thing-- Don't ever be afraid to color your linework! Not only does it add dimension when used correctly, but it softens your image-- removing the "linework on paper" look if you're going for a more 3D look. Just another thing to keep in mind.