00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

EggSmash just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii

35,924 Views | 404 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-02-26 19:19:17

At 2/26/10 07:11 PM, WaterShake wrote:
At 2/26/10 05:31 PM, Luxembourg wrote: Another pen drawing. Sorry! It's on lined paper.
Oh, and, by the way, if a mod sees this, I would be extremely appreciative if the typo in my thread name could be deleted and my thread was just "Luxembourg's Art Thread". Not sure if you can do that or would be willing to, but I don't see there being any harm in asking.
Ok, that thing is pretty epic.

It sort of reminds me of
Noname from Spirited Away

The face is really sweet. I have a sort of mini obsession with venetian masks, and this really reminds me of some of the really epic ones.

As a character, it's surprisingly haunting. I think it's cause it doesn't really have a body or a proper face. So you don't really know what it's thinking and you don't really know what it's capable of. It has a really good spectral quality to it. I can just picture this haunting someone.

The similarity makes me feel ashamed! I did NOT intend to have a black-masked creature reaching out so similarly to No-Face. That didn't even cross my mind when drawing it. I did, however, try intentionally try and make a character much like turnip-head from Howl's Moving Castle once.
I like Venetian Masks, as well. I actually really love masks in general, it's a subject that can hold a lot of meaning and great imagery. I had this little character I drew in 8th grade that was a patient with a venetian mask, a medical gown, an IV drip, and an eery smile that I drew occasionally, and I've made a number of pieces with the masks before. (In example, Mr. Mask, my first portal submission and one of the pieces earlier in this thread is one).
Haunting is along the lines of what I was going for; creepy, but not really scary.
Here's another drawing featuring mask-wearing spirits, although these ones aren't as spectral; they have a fur-covered body.

My Art Thread.

Eeureka! With an exclamation point!

BBS Signature

Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-02-26 19:31:09

At 2/26/10 07:19 PM, Luxembourg wrote:
At 2/26/10 07:11 PM, WaterShake wrote:
At 2/26/10 05:31 PM, Luxembourg wrote: Another pen drawing. Sorry! It's on lined paper.
Oh, and, by the way, if a mod sees this, I would be extremely appreciative if the typo in my thread name could be deleted and my thread was just "Luxembourg's Art Thread". Not sure if you can do that or would be willing to, but I don't see there being any harm in asking.
Ok, that thing is pretty epic.

It sort of reminds me of
Noname from Spirited Away

The face is really sweet. I have a sort of mini obsession with venetian masks, and this really reminds me of some of the really epic ones.

As a character, it's surprisingly haunting. I think it's cause it doesn't really have a body or a proper face. So you don't really know what it's thinking and you don't really know what it's capable of. It has a really good spectral quality to it. I can just picture this haunting someone.
The similarity makes me feel ashamed! I did NOT intend to have a black-masked creature reaching out so similarly to No-Face. That didn't even cross my mind when drawing it. I did, however, try intentionally try and make a character much like turnip-head from Howl's Moving Castle once.
I like Venetian Masks, as well. I actually really love masks in general, it's a subject that can hold a lot of meaning and great imagery. I had this little character I drew in 8th grade that was a patient with a venetian mask, a medical gown, an IV drip, and an eery smile that I drew occasionally, and I've made a number of pieces with the masks before. (In example, Mr. Mask, my first portal submission and one of the pieces earlier in this thread is one).
Haunting is along the lines of what I was going for; creepy, but not really scary.
Here's another drawing featuring mask-wearing spirits, although these ones aren't as spectral; they have a fur-covered body.

Bah, don't worry about the noname thing, it wasn't intentional and it wasn't a blatant copy or anything, so it's all fine by me.

These furry things are quite cool too. It seems to me like, ignoring the 3 little dudes bottom right, that it's all one creature. It's like a split personality, type thing if you get me. There all sort of different sides of the same face.

I sort of want to do something similar to this now : / I can't do it tomorrow(meaning later today) though cause we're driving to Oman. So I might start it now, one of the advantages of having a slightly nocturnal lifestyle, i.e its 4:30am where I am.

But yeah good job man, i'm liking you're thread, it'd be cool if we could work together on something some time

nobody goes there anymore. its too popular.

BBS Signature

Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-03-01 18:16:21

Been a while, I guess.
I won't be posting my CHOW submission here this week, since it's not very good and a lot of you have probably seen it. In brighter news, though, I won last week's CHOW! I'm pretty proud of myself.
Here's one of my Notepad Drawing Collab submissions. I've gotten some pretty positive feedback from this drawing. It's very simple, but it's really happy.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature

Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-03-01 18:21:07

Another NDC collab submission. Personally, I love this piece. I've gotten a lot of criticisms on it, though. Things I know are wrong:
Her legs are weird (she's sitting cross legged, but her thighs don't cross like the probably should). Some people say it doesn't have enough shading and shadows. She's missing most of her right arm. She could be easily mistaken for a boy. It's kind of sketchy.
As always, feedback is appreciated.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature

Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-03-01 19:30:01

Have an apple. I've heard you like them.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature

Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-03-03 19:48:37

Since I mentioned that I used to color using colored pencils, I suppose that my art thread should have a piece of that sort. This is not anywhere near one of my favorite pieces that I made, but I figure I may as well mention that this is one of my brother's personal favorites by me.
Feedback is nice, but not expected.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature

Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-03-04 20:50:04

At 3/3/10 07:48 PM, Luxembourg wrote: Since I mentioned that I used to color using colored pencils, I suppose that my art thread should have a piece of that sort. This is not anywhere near one of my favorite pieces that I made, but I figure I may as well mention that this is one of my brother's personal favorites by me.

It's like a ghostly blob monster that orders its ghostly hand minions to fetch them snacks but i've always notice how color pencils seem messy (plus smelly enough to burn the eyes.... or was it crayon).

But that's an interesting pic though because there soo many different types of foods, and i even notice the reeses next to that piece of candy lol.

BBS Signature

Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-03-04 21:06:30

At 3/4/10 08:50 PM, ZaneZansorrow wrote:
At 3/3/10 07:48 PM, Luxembourg wrote: Since I mentioned that I used to color using colored pencils, I suppose that my art thread should have a piece of that sort. This is not anywhere near one of my favorite pieces that I made, but I figure I may as well mention that this is one of my brother's personal favorites by me.
It's like a ghostly blob monster that orders its ghostly hand minions to fetch them snacks but i've always notice how color pencils seem messy (plus smelly enough to burn the eyes.... or was it crayon).

But that's an interesting pic though because there soo many different types of foods, and i even notice the reeses next to that piece of candy lol.

Yep. Colored pencils are always messy, unless you're good with them. Which I am not. That's why I never did it too often; they're not a very good tool. Now, I'm addicted to the digital movement, and coloring like that is so much better.
Yeah, it's being fed a lot of food. It's "gluttony". I was thinking, after I drew this, of making one for each of the deadly sins (gluttony, sloth, lust, pride, greed, envy, and wrath) in my own style and manner, but I decided against it as that feels just too unoriginal.
Just because I feel obligated to do so (I did so with my fist submission), here's the CHOW 33 submission I made.
The background is indeed ugly, but I like the character myself.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature

Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-03-04 23:48:30

Just wondering, was Alien Hominid a main inspiration for this picture?

"Make art, not war." - Shepard Fairey

BBS Signature

Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-03-05 06:33:00

At 3/4/10 11:48 PM, gmanthesandwhichking wrote:
Just wondering, was Alien Hominid a main inspiration for this picture?

...No? I haven't even played Alien Hominid beyond the first level. (Yeah, yeah, video game heresy, I know. I also haven't been able to play Castle Crashers, but it IS coming out on the PS3 soon, so I will get it when it does.)
It's yellow, yes, but it's not inspired by Alien Hominid.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature

Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-03-05 22:15:30

wow, i aught' to be following your art, this is really good stuff :D

Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-03-07 19:17:17

At 3/5/10 10:15 PM, jeeshwa123 wrote: wow, i aught' to be following your art, this is really good stuff :D

Thank ya, sir. I rather love your stuff, myself. You've got a good imagination on you, which I respect a lot in people of relatively my age. Most people I go to school with are preps and jocks with the imagination and artistic thought capacity of a brain-dead manatee. I'm also in a military town in the south, so that really shouldn't come as much of a surprise.

Anyways, I just realized that I neglected to post this one. This was my second Notepad Drawing Collab submission and is currently the cover of my French II binder. Pen on lined paper, as you can guess. I like this drawing, though a lot of things (the little dude blowing the horn's head, the right-most ghost, etc.) could have been done better. Pen's kind of a permanent material, though.
Oh, and this isn't the exact file I used. Here's the higher quality (though smaller) PNG: http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/9bfb 96175ebfd97f320d3c687c4d534a

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature

Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-03-07 19:37:52

Oh wow you have a really great imagination!! And a fantastic drawing style. How do you do it or learn to draw like that?

Avocado's Crazy Castle! Free to Play

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mbVqm7qKI8

Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-03-07 19:58:17

At 3/7/10 07:37 PM, bloo-apple wrote: Oh wow you have a really great imagination!! And a fantastic drawing style. How do you do it or learn to draw like that?

How do I do what? If you're asking about imagination, that's just the way I think, really. Imagination is a part of the thought processes of people. I think it can be trained, but I'm not entirely sure how. A way to help develop it is by exposure to it; try looking up lots of imaginative art. The main genre that comes to my mind is my favorite and is generally the genre that my work kind of fits into in some ways, and that's surrealism. There is no such thing as true originality anymore, as everything has been done. Imagination is derived from what you see and how you work with it, so on a base level, it's all basically inspiration. Try and find inspiration.
Some imaginative artists I've taken inspiration from: Greg Simkins, Alex Pardee, Lawrence Yang, Jen Wang, Barnaby Ward, and, though geeky and probably frowned upon, Hoshino Katsura.
As for drawing, I'm self-taught. Never taken any art classes. I've got what limited talent I have because I draw a lot and look up a lot of art. This may sound weird, but it's actually a good thing to be a little pessimistic about your art. It makes you realize what you're doing wrong, and that causes you to try and fix those areas, and that builds technique and skill.

Whoo, I'm long-winded, I know.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature

Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-03-07 20:23:15

I guess I can share what I have been practicing. I am trying to learn new things and explore further into digital painting. I done this work all in GIMP and tablet without any other additional programs. I liked the hair a little bit, but it have the flaw of being flat and the face seems flawed as well. But what can I say, it is my first time doing digital painting of portrait that is. I welcome additional criticism to help improve for future digital painting works. Please and thank you.

Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-03-07 20:33:30

At 3/7/10 08:23 PM, HellProgrammerMan wrote: blah blah blah

Im sorry, but posting your work and asking for crits in someone elses personal thread is a complete dick move for me. You can make your own thread and showcase your pieces, you know that right?

This text is in bold, which makes me aweso and your statement irrelevant.

ArtThread. Deviant. NGcar. SnowmansLand

BBS Signature

Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-03-07 20:33:57

At 3/7/10 08:23 PM, HellProgrammerMan wrote: His own art.

It would be better if you would make your own thread and not post in Luxembourg's. Thanks.

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature

Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-03-07 20:34:07

At 3/7/10 08:23 PM, HellProgrammerMan wrote: I guess I can share what I have been practicing. I am trying to learn new things and explore further into digital painting. I done this work all in GIMP and tablet without any other additional programs. I liked the hair a little bit, but it have the flaw of being flat and the face seems flawed as well. But what can I say, it is my first time doing digital painting of portrait that is. I welcome additional criticism to help improve for future digital painting works. Please and thank you.

no you cant, this is a personnal art thread, not one for you to post in, go make your own thread, dont post in other peoples

Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-03-07 20:35:45

At 3/7/10 08:23 PM, HellProgrammerMan wrote: I guess I can share what I have been practicing. I am trying to learn new things and explore further into digital painting. I done this work all in GIMP and tablet without any other additional programs. I liked the hair a little bit, but it have the flaw of being flat and the face seems flawed as well. But what can I say, it is my first time doing digital painting of portrait that is. I welcome additional criticism to help improve for future digital painting works. Please and thank you.

What? This is my thread.... unless what you're posting has something to do with something in my thread, it shouldn't be posted.
I'm not being negative about the piece (the facial structure is strange, but the hair is just superb), I'm just confused as to why you posted it here.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature

Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-03-07 20:43:50

Ah my apology, I was too used to other types of forum. Sorry about that.

Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-03-07 20:51:37

At 3/7/10 08:43 PM, HellProgrammerMan wrote: Ah my apology, I was too used to other types of forum. Sorry about that.

It's fine, I suppose, if you're new. It doesn't say anywhere in the rules that we do it that way. I don't know how you do it in what forum you're coming from, but the way we do it here is that people make personal threads. They post their art there and get responses and whatnot. We also have other stuff, like the lounge and themed threads for collaborations and competitions and miscellaneous things.
Go make your own thread, you'll probably get some response there.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature

Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-03-07 22:15:16

At 3/4/10 09:06 PM, Luxembourg wrote: The background is indeed ugly, but I like the character myself.

I really like this character. She reminded me of LipeRC's(youtube) music video to the song "The Kill", which is an awesome video, considering it's not official. I'm not really sure why I was reminded of it. It's probably just the graffiti artist look.

Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-03-08 16:10:48

At 3/7/10 10:15 PM, heavyrain wrote:
At 3/4/10 09:06 PM, Luxembourg wrote: The background is indeed ugly, but I like the character myself.
I really like this character. She reminded me of LipeRC's(youtube) music video to the song "The Kill", which is an awesome video, considering it's not official. I'm not really sure why I was reminded of it. It's probably just the graffiti artist look.

That was pretty good for an amateur music video. Felt professional. I have to admit, the link is mostly in the graffiti artist look. A mask and a can of spray-paint go hand in hand. It might be that you don't usually see girls in that scene, or it might also be that both are wearing long-sleeved shirts, but the similarity isn't striking.

I never posted my first submission to the NDC. Mostly because I'm not too fond of it. I'm posting it now because I've posted all 4 of the others, so it probably feels all left out. I want to replace this one with a different submission, but I really doubt I can. Oh, well.
I'd also like to make mention that all 5 were accepted into the collab.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature

Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-03-09 06:49:03

At 3/8/10 04:10 PM, Luxembourg wrote: I never posted my first submission to the NDC. Mostly because I'm not too fond of it. I'm posting it now because I've posted all 4 of the others, so it probably feels all left out. I want to replace this one with a different submission, but I really doubt I can. Oh, well.

I'm not too fond of this one either the concept is really good but I know you could draw it a lot better if you re-did it. It's be better if you could see the bottom of his head or something and his body is too slanted.
I'm sure JKA will let you replace this one or one of the others with a better one. There's still heaps of time left for it so I think you should experiment a bit more and then after you've made a few you can choose the one's you like best and want to submit.
You should try doing a piece without any lineart and just using colours and shading... etc. I look forward to seeing more of your stuff.

At 3/7/10 08:43 PM, HellProgrammerMan wrote: Ah my apology, I was too used to other types of forum. Sorry about that.

AHaha..... your thread has been contaminated Lux :(

Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-03-09 18:27:00

At 3/9/10 06:49 AM, CloudEater wrote:
At 3/8/10 04:10 PM, Luxembourg wrote: I never posted my first submission to the NDC. Mostly because I'm not too fond of it. I'm posting it now because I've posted all 4 of the others, so it probably feels all left out. I want to replace this one with a different submission, but I really doubt I can. Oh, well.
I'm not too fond of this one either the concept is really good but I know you could draw it a lot better if you re-did it. It's be better if you could see the bottom of his head or something and his body is too slanted.
I'm sure JKA will let you replace this one or one of the others with a better one. There's still heaps of time left for it so I think you should experiment a bit more and then after you've made a few you can choose the one's you like best and want to submit.
You should try doing a piece without any lineart and just using colours and shading... etc. I look forward to seeing more of your stuff.
AHaha..... your thread has been contaminated Lux :(

Contaminated, yes. It'll never be pure again. May we mourn its sanctity, now lost.

I'm pretty pleased with the rest of them, especially the fourth and fifth ones. The first one just doesn't really have any place in my heart; I didn't look at it after I was done and smile. I'll send JKA a pm about replacing it in the collab.
Work without lineart? Man, I haven't really taken the dive into real digital painting yet. I've mostly been using a more refined version of the way I would use outside of digital art; make the lineart, then color it in. I'll try it, but I think the reason I'm hesitant to is because I've never used paint in real life, so I don't know the proper procedures in a computer program meant to mimic it.
Any tips on real digital painting (as opposed to digital drawing) would be nice. I'd like to try it out sometime.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature

Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-03-09 20:19:50

Luxembourg

Nice new artworks you have in here, keep up the good work its amazing dark and neat

~X~

~X~ (FOLLOW-ME)

[] The Top Reviewer Since 2002 [] COMIC >> WAYNES WORLD

BBS Signature

Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-03-10 00:21:56

At 3/9/10 06:27 PM, Luxembourg wrote: Work without lineart? Man, I haven't really taken the dive into real digital painting yet. I've mostly been using a more refined version of the way I would use outside of digital art; make the lineart, then color it in. I'll try it, but I think the reason I'm hesitant to is because I've never used paint in real life, so I don't know the proper procedures in a computer program meant to mimic it.

Painting in real life and painting digitally aren't really that similar, I think you should start of with a sketch but then try and colour over it using the sketch as a guide. I really want to get better at colouring too so I can do stuff like Kraig does.

Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-03-14 19:18:25

Music has been eating my life recently! School Musical Rehearsals every day after school until 6-7 PM, practicing for festival and seating auditions on my violin, and preparing for my audition to the NC School of the Arts for music have all together left me busy and stressed. Until this weekend, I haven't had time to make anything, even though I've wanted to.
Here's my submission to this week's Chow, theme being "goddess". I kind of like it, but it's nothing astounding and she's a little too androgynous.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature

Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-03-14 19:42:35

At 3/14/10 07:18 PM, Luxembourg wrote: Music has been eating my life recently! School Musical Rehearsals every day after school until 6-7 PM, practicing for festival and seating auditions on my violin, and preparing for my audition to the NC School of the Arts for music have all together left me busy and stressed. Until this weekend, I haven't had time to make anything, even though I've wanted to.
Here's my submission to this week's Chow, theme being "goddess". I kind of like it, but it's nothing astounding and she's a little too androgynous.

Well......good luck with that, the whole goddess concept on this pic looks pretty neat. The lamp's light effect looks kinda like it's on fire....in a halo kinda way. Knowing your style, it got that Tim Burton kinda feel into it.

BBS Signature

Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii 2010-03-15 18:00:03

Okay, double post time! I've got two, count 'em, two recent drawings to post.
The first isn't so good, but this is a thread for me to post what I'm currently trying to do in art, and since I've tried something I've never done in both these drawings, I'll post them both.
The first is fan art. Aside from trying (and failing) to draw some Pokemon when I was 10 or so, I've never done fan art. Figured I'd give it a shot, so I took one of my favorite videogame characters and tried to draw her. Someone earlier on also mentioned that I needed to try more active positions, so this doubles on me trying that as well.
This is Taokaka from the game BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger, which is kind of like Guilty Gear's cooler younger brother.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature