Be a Supporter!

Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii

  • 20,437 Views
  • 413 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Member since: Oct. 17, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Mar. 15th, 2010 @ 06:04 PM Reply

The second one is a comic strip. For my first time ever trying to do this, I feel that I did a decent job. The story I had in mind was of a city where everyone wears masks and it's almost always raining.
So, tell me if you like it and if I should continue it or not.

It may be too hard to see clearly, so here's a link to the larger art portal version: http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/luxem bourg/city-of-masks

Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii


My Art Thread.
Eeureka! With an exclamation point!

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Member since: Oct. 17, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Mar. 15th, 2010 @ 06:05 PM Reply

Bah, new page.
For anyone just coming in here: this is a double post. (Well, now it's a triple post) There's another drawing at the end of the third page.


My Art Thread.
Eeureka! With an exclamation point!

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Member since: Oct. 17, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Mar. 19th, 2010 @ 10:40 PM Reply

I like pixel-art, so I figured I'd give it a shot using GraphicsGale Free. I don't think pixel-art is for me, to be honest, but I'll post the little doodle I made (it's a lamp!) since, as I've stated, the point of this thread is to show what I've been doing recently with art.

In other news: I discovered this AWESOME Progressive Rock Musical called "Razia's Shadow: A Musical, made by the last remaining member of Forgive Durden and his brother. It's simply amazing, and it's story is fantastically told. I won't go into detail, because that would probably result in my going on forever and ever. I've begun sketching up some concepts, and I'm going to make a series of drawings for the songs and their characters, and I might use this as my motivation to finally learn how to animate; this story would be fantastic if told through well-made flashes.
So, yeah, expect some themed drawings soon.

Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii


My Art Thread.
Eeureka! With an exclamation point!

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Member since: Oct. 17, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Mar. 20th, 2010 @ 08:55 AM Reply

At 3/20/10 12:55 AM, PrinceFlea wrote:
At 3/15/10 06:00 PM, Luxembourg wrote: Okay, double post time! I've got two, count 'em, two recent drawings to post.
The first isn't so good, but this is a thread for me to post what I'm currently trying to do in art, and since I've tried something I've never done in both these drawings, I'll post them both.
This is Taokaka from the game BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger, which is kind of like Guilty Gear's cooler younger brother.
There's something really charming about this one Though i never been up to the skill to really master a fighting game that was not a Beat em up. Do you personally find it easy to learn the Combo's of the characters ,when you are up against the alternate?

I can play fighting games well enough to win some matches sometimes and I'm not suckish, but I'm not the greatest at them anyways. Doesn't mean I don't love some of them, though, because I did buy Blazblue. I can learn the combos, yes, with some practice. Fighting games will never be my forte, though; I'll always be an RPG gamer at heart.
Oh, and if the drawing seems charming, it's probably because the original character is quite charming.


My Art Thread.
Eeureka! With an exclamation point!

BBS Signature
CloudEater
CloudEater
  • Member since: Oct. 17, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Mar. 20th, 2010 @ 09:09 AM Reply

At 3/19/10 10:40 PM, Luxembourg wrote: I like pixel-art, so I figured I'd give it a shot using GraphicsGale Free. I don't think pixel-art is for me, to be honest, but I'll post the little doodle I made (it's a lamp!) since, as I've stated, the point of this thread is to show what I've been doing recently with art.

You've made the pixels too small so that it doesn't look like pixel art but more of a bad quality normal art. So try making your pixels bigger.

Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Member since: Oct. 17, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Mar. 29th, 2010 @ 05:28 PM Reply

At 3/20/10 09:09 AM, CloudEater wrote:
At 3/19/10 10:40 PM, Luxembourg wrote: I like pixel-art, so I figured I'd give it a shot using GraphicsGale Free. I don't think pixel-art is for me, to be honest, but I'll post the little doodle I made (it's a lamp!) since, as I've stated, the point of this thread is to show what I've been doing recently with art.
You've made the pixels too small so that it doesn't look like pixel art but more of a bad quality normal art. So try making your pixels bigger.

I... I don't know how to do that.

I'm still alive, and I've drawn stuff recently, mostly for the "Your character, my style" thread, though.
I got a moleskine yesterday, and I've made two drawings in it since. This is the first.

Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii


My Art Thread.
Eeureka! With an exclamation point!

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Member since: Oct. 17, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Mar. 29th, 2010 @ 05:35 PM Reply

And the second one:

Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii


My Art Thread.
Eeureka! With an exclamation point!

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Member since: Oct. 17, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Apr. 3rd, 2010 @ 07:27 PM Reply

I've actually been drawing a lot recently, but I don't want to post most of what I've drawn (hell, I've actually erased or thrown away some of it) because it's very dreary and a little personal thanks to girl problems. Art can be a good emotional outlet sometimes, but what I make when I feel like shit never looks terribly good.

I have made some decent drawings recently, though. This is the girl character from that comic strip I did a while back and am considering continuing, but in much higher detail. I'll do one of the male character sooner or later.
Drawn in my Moleskine.

Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii


My Art Thread.
Eeureka! With an exclamation point!

BBS Signature
KirtTheGreat
KirtTheGreat
  • Member since: Aug. 11, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Game Developer
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Apr. 3rd, 2010 @ 07:33 PM Reply

Hey I've seen a lot of your work in the portal before. Good stuff man your really good :)


ENGORGE!!!

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Member since: Oct. 17, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Apr. 3rd, 2010 @ 08:10 PM Reply

Thanks, Kirt.

This is a fetal creature. It's the fetus of some monster. It's nowhere near as morbid as it sounds when you say it, to be honest. It's actually quite cute.

Yeah, it's a very simple drawing, but I think it looks good and it's the first happy thing I've drawn in a week or so.

Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii


My Art Thread.
Eeureka! With an exclamation point!

BBS Signature
ZaneZansorrow
ZaneZansorrow
  • Member since: Oct. 21, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 20
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Apr. 4th, 2010 @ 02:02 PM Reply

At 4/3/10 08:10 PM, Luxembourg wrote: Thanks, Kirt.

This is a fetal creature. It's the fetus of some monster. It's nowhere near as morbid as it sounds when you say it, to be honest. It's actually quite cute.

Yeah, it's a very simple drawing, but I think it looks good and it's the first happy thing I've drawn in a week or so.

what a cute little fetus creature but what's that in the background (you cut me off guard, making me think that's the only thing there >:3)


BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Member since: Oct. 17, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Apr. 4th, 2010 @ 03:10 PM Reply

At 4/4/10 02:02 PM, ZaneZansorrow wrote:
At 4/3/10 08:10 PM, Luxembourg wrote: Thanks, Kirt.

This is a fetal creature. It's the fetus of some monster. It's nowhere near as morbid as it sounds when you say it, to be honest. It's actually quite cute.

Yeah, it's a very simple drawing, but I think it looks good and it's the first happy thing I've drawn in a week or so.
what a cute little fetus creature but what's that in the background (you cut me off guard, making me think that's the only thing there >:3)

Oh, it's the opposite side of the page showing through.
It's the girl that I posted before. Just look up a couple of posts.
(Sorry to disappoint, but it is the only thing there.)


My Art Thread.
Eeureka! With an exclamation point!

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Member since: Oct. 17, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Apr. 4th, 2010 @ 07:12 PM Reply

Here's a drawing I mad earlier today. I was trying to fill the page, and I can't tell if I did that well or not. If you want to see a bigger version, I put one in the art portal, but I'm thinking that I'll probably end up deleting it, as it's scoring really poorly thus far. That makes me sad.

Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii


My Art Thread.
Eeureka! With an exclamation point!

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Member since: Oct. 17, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Apr. 4th, 2010 @ 08:55 PM Reply

Here's another doodle. I made this on a page that had a depressing drawing that I erased.
I was trying to do something with a little perspective, because I never really do work with perspective.
It's not very good, in all honesty. I think I'm just posting art to make myself feel productive while I procrastinate on finishing my Misdreavus Gijinka.

Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii


My Art Thread.
Eeureka! With an exclamation point!

BBS Signature
Lintire
Lintire
  • Member since: Aug. 21, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Apr. 4th, 2010 @ 09:40 PM Reply

Your style reminds so much of Tim Burton's stop animation productions. Any chance that's where you got your inspiration? This probably has already been said, but I can't be half-arsed to flick through the whole topic.
You might want to try a little colour on your pics - learning to use Photoshop on your scans could be incredibly beneficial to your particular style - give it a whole new dimension and allow you to elaborate on your original idea. Just food for thought.

Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Member since: Oct. 17, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Apr. 4th, 2010 @ 09:49 PM Reply

At 4/4/10 09:40 PM, Lintire wrote: Your style reminds so much of Tim Burton's stop animation productions. Any chance that's where you got your inspiration? This probably has already been said, but I can't be half-arsed to flick through the whole topic.
You might want to try a little colour on your pics - learning to use Photoshop on your scans could be incredibly beneficial to your particular style - give it a whole new dimension and allow you to elaborate on your original idea. Just food for thought.

Hmm, you know, if you'd go through the rest of the thread, you'd see that I use color often enough. I use it whenever I make digital art, which is how I do all of my larger-scale drawings. If this page is the only one you've seen, then you're not getting the whole idea behind my art.

I don't feel that my style is really all that similar to Burton's. I love his mind, but I've never consciously used him as an inspiration. Hell, I've gotten more inspiration concerning the "dark fantasy" feel from Hoshino Katsura (the mangaka of D. Gray Man) than from Burton. I'm a little ashamed to admit that, because I try and avoid anime in art, but it's true.
I'll take it as a compliment, anyways. I'm not too big on photo editing, so I don't know how to really soup up my pieces in photoshop, but I do do digital art that looks a tad different from this and utilizes color.


My Art Thread.
Eeureka! With an exclamation point!

BBS Signature
Lintire
Lintire
  • Member since: Aug. 21, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Apr. 4th, 2010 @ 10:03 PM Reply

At 4/4/10 09:49 PM, Luxembourg wrote: Hmm, you know, if you'd go through the rest of the thread, you'd see that I use color often enough. I use it whenever I make digital art, which is how I do all of my larger-scale drawings. If this page is the only one you've seen, then you're not getting the whole idea behind my art.

I don't feel that my style is really all that similar to Burton's. I love his mind, but I've never consciously used him as an inspiration. Hell, I've gotten more inspiration concerning the "dark fantasy" feel from Hoshino Katsura (the mangaka of D. Gray Man) than from Burton. I'm a little ashamed to admit that, because I try and avoid anime in art, but it's true.
I'll take it as a compliment, anyways. I'm not too big on photo editing, so I don't know how to really soup up my pieces in photoshop, but I do do digital art that looks a tad different from this and utilizes color.

Went ahead and flicked through the rest of the pages. Still reminiscent of Burton, to me, but less so with the colours you've chosen (exception to the rule: Skeleton person thingy). If you're using Hoshino Katsura as an inspiration - absolutely no shame in that - then at least you can be proud to say that you've added a huge dollop of your own creativity to the mix. That is to say, it speaks much more of you than it does of her.
Kinda like her art. Flicked through it. Thanks for pointing it out ^^
Anyway, photoshop can be a bitch to learn. Well worth it if you do, but hey - to each their own. The other pages did give me a fuller idea, anyway.
Keep up the good work and all. Etc.

Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Member since: Oct. 17, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Apr. 4th, 2010 @ 11:02 PM Reply

At 4/4/10 10:03 PM, Lintire wrote:
At 4/4/10 09:49 PM, Luxembourg wrote: Hmm, you know, if you'd go through the rest of the thread, you'd see that I use color often enough. I use it whenever I make digital art, which is how I do all of my larger-scale drawings. If this page is the only one you've seen, then you're not getting the whole idea behind my art.

I don't feel that my style is really all that similar to Burton's. I love his mind, but I've never consciously used him as an inspiration. Hell, I've gotten more inspiration concerning the "dark fantasy" feel from Hoshino Katsura (the mangaka of D. Gray Man) than from Burton. I'm a little ashamed to admit that, because I try and avoid anime in art, but it's true.
I'll take it as a compliment, anyways. I'm not too big on photo editing, so I don't know how to really soup up my pieces in photoshop, but I do do digital art that looks a tad different from this and utilizes color.
Went ahead and flicked through the rest of the pages. Still reminiscent of Burton, to me, but less so with the colours you've chosen (exception to the rule: Skeleton person thingy). If you're using Hoshino Katsura as an inspiration - absolutely no shame in that - then at least you can be proud to say that you've added a huge dollop of your own creativity to the mix. That is to say, it speaks much more of you than it does of her.
Kinda like her art. Flicked through it. Thanks for pointing it out ^^
Anyway, photoshop can be a bitch to learn. Well worth it if you do, but hey - to each their own. The other pages did give me a fuller idea, anyway.
Keep up the good work and all. Etc.

She's not my main inspiration, I'm just saying that I've used her as one more so than Burton. She's, surprisingly, the only artist on my "inspiration" list that uses dark fantasy. Strange, considering that that's part of my genre, but my biggest inspiration, really, is Greg Simkins. I've always tried to make it my art, though, but it's hard to not come close to something else somehow. (Really, Katsura's main infuence on me was through a single character: Road Kamelot. Short hair, frilly, goth dresses, striped stockings, big shoes, sounds like about half the girls I've ever drawn.)

Bleh, artist comparisons make me feel weird. I like just drawing the way I draw, not the way someone else does. Thanks for the tips and input, though. I've tried messing around with photoshop, maybe someday I'll figure out how to use it effectively. Hell, maybe someday I'll be able to draw in it, but that still eludes me.


My Art Thread.
Eeureka! With an exclamation point!

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Member since: Oct. 17, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Apr. 24th, 2010 @ 09:16 PM Reply

It's been too long. The reason being: My scanner broke. My expensive scanner. I've done a lot of pencil drawing lately, some of which I'm very proud of, but I can't put it up!

Someone earlier on mentioned I should try digital painting eventually. I haven't done anything digital in a while, so I broke out my tablet and tried something new. No outlines or anything, I just used brush tools. It's simple and small, but I'm new to this form.

Any tips on how to do better or techniques or whatnot? Like I said at the beginning of the thread, I'm teaching myself everything, so I don't have much a clue what I'm doing.

Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii


My Art Thread.
Eeureka! With an exclamation point!

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Member since: Oct. 17, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii May. 15th, 2010 @ 03:03 PM Reply

Scanner's still broken; I'm still drawing almost exclusively in pencil.
Resurrection time!

Just like last time, I've made a digital painting. This one's bigger, and I think a little better, but I still have no clue what I'm doing, and it still isn't anything amazing.

Does anyone have any advice for how to do better at this? I'm just sort of going at it with the brush tools.


My Art Thread.
Eeureka! With an exclamation point!

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Member since: Oct. 17, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii May. 15th, 2010 @ 03:05 PM Reply

Blast! I forgot the art!

Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii


My Art Thread.
Eeureka! With an exclamation point!

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Member since: Jul. 7, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii May. 15th, 2010 @ 05:15 PM Reply

At 5/15/10 03:05 PM, Luxembourg wrote: Blast! I forgot the art!

This guy looks fun.

Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Member since: Oct. 17, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii May. 15th, 2010 @ 05:26 PM Reply

At 5/15/10 05:15 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
At 5/15/10 03:05 PM, Luxembourg wrote: Blast! I forgot the art!
This guy looks fun.

He is fun. He's also diseased!
I take it you like this little dude?

I may as well use this post to show something else.I've been trying to work on a really big drawing, and it's still got a ways to go, but here's a WIP piece of it, a part of the background.

Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii


My Art Thread.
Eeureka! With an exclamation point!

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Member since: Oct. 17, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii May. 23rd, 2010 @ 10:27 PM Reply

I spent most of today working on this. After Hoboweasel outstandingly redid my two characters, I wanted to do some more with them myself.
Here's the lady character, who I've named Ophelia.

Full-Size!!

Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii


My Art Thread.
Eeureka! With an exclamation point!

BBS Signature
heavyrain
heavyrain
  • Member since: Nov. 27, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Melancholy
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii May. 23rd, 2010 @ 11:26 PM Reply

At 5/23/10 10:27 PM, Luxembourg wrote: Here's the lady character, who I've named Ophelia.

She should probably stay away from trees.

I like your inquisitive, mountain-like ghosts.

Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Member since: Oct. 17, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii May. 24th, 2010 @ 03:18 PM Reply

At 5/23/10 11:26 PM, heavyrain wrote:
At 5/23/10 10:27 PM, Luxembourg wrote: Here's the lady character, who I've named Ophelia.
She should probably stay away from trees.

I like your inquisitive, mountain-like ghosts.

Why should she stay away from trees?


My Art Thread.
Eeureka! With an exclamation point!

BBS Signature
J-qb
J-qb
  • Member since: Mar. 6, 2008
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii May. 24th, 2010 @ 04:16 PM Reply

At 5/24/10 03:18 PM, Luxembourg wrote:
At 5/23/10 11:26 PM, heavyrain wrote:
At 5/23/10 10:27 PM, Luxembourg wrote: Here's the lady character, who I've named Ophelia.
She should probably stay away from trees.
Why should she stay away from trees?

ophelia fell from a tree into a pond and drowned


NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Member since: Oct. 17, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii May. 24th, 2010 @ 04:47 PM Reply

At 5/24/10 04:16 PM, J-qb wrote:
At 5/24/10 03:18 PM, Luxembourg wrote:
At 5/23/10 11:26 PM, heavyrain wrote:
At 5/23/10 10:27 PM, Luxembourg wrote: Here's the lady character, who I've named Ophelia.
She should probably stay away from trees.
Why should she stay away from trees?
ophelia fell from a tree into a pond and drowned

Oh.I wasn't thinking in terms of references, especially not Shakespearean references.


My Art Thread.
Eeureka! With an exclamation point!

BBS Signature
antiandy
antiandy
  • Member since: Jul. 22, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Jun. 11th, 2010 @ 06:57 PM Reply

In the spirit of refusing to let common NG apathy to take hold...

You have a very flowing and whimsical style that I enjoy.
There are some Edward Gorey and Tim Burton elements of inspiration, but no sense of copying those or any other artists at all...you've definitely found your own path.
I like that you don't seem to hold back, you just kind of draw whatever suits you at the moment.
Oddly enough, he very first thing I saw in here is my favorite...but I think it's because she has tentacles.
I can see your progression of technique throughout the thread and I can see that you stay busy...which is KEY.
I like that though you pay close attention to suggestions and criticism, you never stop doing what you're doing or let anyone tell you it needs to be done differently.
You definitely have talent in areas that I don't have and it's just fun to view your work.
Keep up the greatness.


BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Member since: Oct. 17, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Jun. 11th, 2010 @ 07:25 PM Reply

At 6/11/10 06:57 PM, antiandy wrote: (Positive stuff)

Oh, wow, thanks. I'm really glad you like my stuff. I can understand why "Hello?" is your favorite; it's one of mine, which is why I started the thread with it. Looking back at some pieces that I still love causes me to not feel like I'm getting better fast enough.
Since it's back up now, I guess I'll start posting in here again. I kind of thought Ophelia would be my last post in here, but what the hell, why not?

I'm working on two pieces at the moment: The lineart for Ashy's and my doubles entry, which is taking precedence, and this one. I really want to get better with backgrounds. The doubles one (which I won't post) has a pretty complicated background, but this one's feels too plain and I'm having trouble deciding how to color it. Any opinions on colors/details or anything at all? I won't be able to finish this until after I give the doubles entry to Ashy, however, but I'll ask now anyways.

Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii


My Art Thread.
Eeureka! With an exclamation point!

BBS Signature