New Topic Respond to this Topic
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Sep. 6th, 2010 @ 12:10 AM Reply

Surreal drawing in pen. I personally like this one, flawed though it is. Last one for tonight. I've got some bigger, better ones I'll scan up tomorrow.

Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii

My Art Thread.
Eeureka! With an exclamation point!

BBS Signature
Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Sep. 6th, 2010 @ 05:01 AM Reply

At 9/6/10 12:10 AM, Luxembourg wrote: Surreal drawing in pen. I personally like this one, flawed though it is. Last one for tonight. I've got some bigger, better ones I'll scan up tomorrow.

I like this newest one, too - and although the flaws are pretty numerous (such as, to say, the lines on one of the beasts arms being perspective wrong and (girl?) looking rather flat, along with smudges and whatnot) the concept is pretty damn great, and I can just imagine this as a bloody sweet-looking sprite, or at least sharpened, image and even as it is it's fairly awesome.

J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Sep. 6th, 2010 @ 05:08 AM Reply

At 9/6/10 12:10 AM, Luxembourg wrote: Surreal drawing in pen. I personally like this one, flawed though it is. Last one for tonight. I've got some bigger, better ones I'll scan up tomorrow.

Nice posting spree there; I dont like this last one so much; its a bit too messy for me. What I like about your stuff is how clean it usually is; which is not the case in this one. I like the centipede better.

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature
MonkeykingZX
MonkeykingZX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Sep. 6th, 2010 @ 05:32 AM Reply

At 6/30/10 10:26 AM, Luxembourg wrote: Okay, it came later than I expected it to because I got distracted with other things, but I tinkered around with the lighting a bit.
It's now smoother and I used other shades than white. Not that much different, but a bit better still.

i quite like this one now the lighting is more obvious, would quite like to see a few more with this sort of composition from you :)

BBS Signature
argile
argile
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Sep. 6th, 2010 @ 08:30 AM Reply

At 9/6/10 05:08 AM, J-qb wrote:
Nice posting spree there; I dont like this last one so much; its a bit too messy for me. What I like about your stuff is how clean it usually is; which is not the case in this one. I like the centipede better.

I don't the quality is any more different from any of his other work when you ignore the creature behind the you notice that messiness actually adds something to this picture as to how melancholy you notice the character bottom is brings .

Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Sep. 6th, 2010 @ 08:33 AM Reply

Oh, wow, responses!

Lintire- Thanks, I'm glad you like it. I think that the creature is the best part, and that the room below it is really just poorly done support for it. It was supposed to seem more like a guy in a cell, but I can tell that it would be a bit difficult to tell. The actual drawing is smaller, too, so I couldn't add loads of detail to the drawing.
The creature, though, is something I will probably end up redoing digitally, though perhaps in a different surrounding. Who knows? I may bust out Photoshop and try to do it as a sprite, like you suggested.

J-Qb- I see your gripe. The messiness was mostly a result of me redoing it in pen. I actually like the drawing more when it was all pencil, and I accidentally smeared the pen, and the end result was something much messier than I usually make. Though I do admit, I've never thought as my drawings as "clean", though I do like that you think so. I like the centipede more myself, too.

MonkeyKing- I intend to do more with that kind of composition (bright lights playing on things) when I actually have some time. I've been extremely busy lately, though, and I've only been able to draw in pencil and just a tiny bit on the computer lately.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Sep. 6th, 2010 @ 08:42 AM Reply

At 9/6/10 08:30 AM, argile wrote:

I don't the quality is any more different from any of his other work when you ignore the creature behind the you notice that messiness actually adds something to this picture as to how melancholy you notice the character bottom is brings .

Oh, and Argile, too! There's actually activity in my thread!
I like that you're artistically interpreting my mistakes, and that would make sense if the messiness were intentional. But it's not. Even still, it's pretty cool that you're sticking up for the piece.

I'll post a drawing now, so I don't squander my silly 4 posts per half-hour.
Tieguy. I think he's pretty cool, but his head exemplifies what kind of an idiot I can be when drawing; the perspective on his face doesn't match the perspective on the rest of his head.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Sep. 6th, 2010 @ 08:45 AM Reply

When I got some new pencils, this drawing was how I broke them in.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Sep. 6th, 2010 @ 09:06 AM Reply

I'll leave you with something a bit more impressive -
I got a larger, new sketchbook for more detailed drawings. This was my first drawing in it. That androgynous person with horns and a melting face that I took with a digital camera was also made in that sketchbook.
It also looks like scanning from the sketchbook will be a pain in the ass because it's bigger than the bed of the scanner. I had to scan this drawing more than 10 times to get it to scan in a way that actually fit the whole thing.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Sep. 6th, 2010 @ 12:21 PM Reply

Yet Another drawing made in that sketchbook. It's my second attempt using the idea behind Mr. Mask.
I wasn't trying to best the original so much as I was trying to test and see what I could do with the idea since it's been so long. I think the original's better, but I feel like this is worth showing.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
MonkeykingZX
MonkeykingZX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Sep. 6th, 2010 @ 12:23 PM Reply

At 9/6/10 12:21 PM, Luxembourg wrote: Yet Another drawing made in that sketchbook. It's my second attempt using the idea behind Mr. Mask.
I wasn't trying to best the original so much as I was trying to test and see what I could do with the idea since it's been so long. I think the original's better, but I feel like this is worth showing.

it's a good drawing and i like the amount of detail you've put into it

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Sep. 6th, 2010 @ 12:40 PM Reply

At 9/6/10 12:23 PM, MonkeykingZX wrote:

it's a good drawing and i like the amount of detail you've put into it

Thanks, I'm glad you like it.
Here's a drawing I made in my moleskine. It has a lot of writing in it, so I'd strongly suggest you look at it in full size.

The writing says:
Fig. 1- Anatomy of a Ghost
Eyes- used for sight. Ghosts' eyesight changes between monochromatic and color depending on their mood.

Soul- center for emotion, thought, memories, etc. The soul is the only part carried from the body after death. The soul has a fluffy consistency.

"Teeth"- Though rarely used, these can be used as a protective mechanism. They can grab onto the soul of a threat and hold on tightly.

Ectoplasm sacs- Ectoplasm is a thin, gaseous substance that makes up the ghosts' tails. It flows like liquid and dissipates after it flows off the tails.

tails- composed of ectoplasm. Used to propel and direct the ghost.

Spiritual nerves- These nerves are much like ours in that they send messages within the ghost. Used for feelings, motion, etc.

Primary spirit/Secondary spirit/Tertiary spirit/Quaternary spirit*
Spirits- These anchor the ghost to the earth. They can easily be shed, each one making the ghost less visible. If the primary spirit is shed, however, the ghost will pass from this world [into the next]. Shedding spirits is an effective escape and stealth mechanism, and ghosts often go long periods of time without two or three of their spirits. Spirits are whispy and, while usually invisible, can telekinetically be made to glow softly in any color. They are also returned to the ghost telekinetically.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Sep. 6th, 2010 @ 12:41 PM Reply

And fuck, I've forgotten the image.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Sep. 6th, 2010 @ 12:49 PM Reply

Yet again, I only have one more post for a while (I dislike that rule), so I'll leave off with a more surreal drawing. Pen/pencil in my moleskine.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
DemocracyFTW
DemocracyFTW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Sep. 6th, 2010 @ 12:51 PM Reply

At 9/6/10 12:41 PM, Luxembourg wrote: And fuck, I've forgotten the image.

Thats pretty awesome if i do say so myself.

every morn I awake from the cavernous night
look at my pictures
look at pictures I look at

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Sep. 6th, 2010 @ 01:11 PM Reply

Moths!
Pleasepleaseplease go look at it in full size, with all three put together!
I cut a piece of two pages in my moleskine, drew a moth on the third page, and drew something around that moth on each page. It was experiment, and I think it went well.
First moth:

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Sep. 6th, 2010 @ 01:12 PM Reply

At 9/6/10 12:51 PM, DemocracyFTW wrote:
At 9/6/10 12:41 PM, Luxembourg wrote: And fuck, I've forgotten the image.
Thats pretty awesome if i do say so myself.

Thank you!
More moths.
Please go look at it in full size, with all three put together.
Second moth (my personal favorite of the trio):

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Sep. 6th, 2010 @ 01:37 PM Reply

More- first drawing made using a different kind of ghost (the same as in The Black). I really need to start using these some more; I like them.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Sep. 6th, 2010 @ 04:51 PM Reply

One last one for today. This is me attempting a different style.
Drawn in the larger sketchbook.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
Sockembop
Sockembop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Sep. 6th, 2010 @ 04:55 PM Reply

Loving the new art. Good to see a constant stream of it :D

Would you mind if i had a crack at colouring some of it just for kicks?

BBS Signature
Glacier
Glacier
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Sep. 6th, 2010 @ 04:59 PM Reply

At 9/6/10 04:51 PM, Luxembourg wrote: One last one for today. This is me attempting a different style.
Drawn in the larger sketchbook.

I'm really liking how smooth all your lines are! But maybe you might want to invest a little more time on shading your things, sometimes if you mess up on the shading it'll look more like smudges put on to the thing instead of shadows.

Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Sep. 6th, 2010 @ 05:09 PM Reply

At 9/6/10 04:55 PM, Sockembop wrote: Loving the new art. Good to see a constant stream of it :D

Would you mind if i had a crack at colouring some of it just for kicks?

Go ahead! I don't intend to color much of it myself, so it would be fine by me. As for the new art, I just recently got a new scanner, so I've got a bunch of pencil stuff that I feel like showing. I've actually reached a maximum of art portal submissions today, which I didn't even know you could do until now. I've still got a few more to show, but I've got some stuff I have to do first.

Glacier, I know what you mean. I've gotten a lot better at shading than I was before, but I still have a long, long way to go with that. And my lines aren't all the smooth, really, I can't help but see little kinks in them whenever I look at the drawings. Some moreso than others. But I always make a very light sketch of what I'm drawing and then I go over it more darkly and carefully, so that's why they're smooth where they are.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
Kashi
Kashi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Sep. 6th, 2010 @ 06:33 PM Reply

ive noticed all the pics youve posted the past day or two have all been pretty.... dark/ghostly. now thats not a bad thing, im just pointing it out. im still not sure what to make of the recurring theme.
they all look cool though. i like the one with the guilllotine :P

J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Sep. 6th, 2010 @ 06:41 PM Reply

At 9/6/10 06:33 PM, Kakashi1930 wrote: ive noticed all the pics youve posted the past day or two have all been pretty.... dark/ghostly. now thats not a bad thing, im just pointing it out. im still not sure what to make of the recurring theme.

I think its been a recurring them through the entirety of this thread.

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Sep. 6th, 2010 @ 06:43 PM Reply

At 9/6/10 06:33 PM, Kakashi1930 wrote: ive noticed all the pics youve posted the past day or two have all been pretty.... dark/ghostly. now thats not a bad thing, im just pointing it out. im still not sure what to make of the recurring theme.
they all look cool though. i like the one with the guilllotine :P

Well, ghosts have been a recurring theme in my work since I started drawing. I love them, and I don't really think of them in the dark/creepy way most do.
Ghosts
More ghosts,
Even more ghosts,
Yet another,
Yep, some more,
More,
black ghosts,
big ghosts,
and Dead ghosts.
So, yeah, I've always drawn lots of ghosts.
As for dark, I'm not seeing that one so much. I always have slightly dark themes in my drawings (so many times, I've been compared to Burton), but I always try and keep them looking fairly happy, unless I'm genuinely aiming for something a little more sad. The guillotine one is very, very dark, I'll admit, as is the grave, but most of these aren't too bad on that. Perhaps it's that they're pencil, so they're all in black?
Anyways, thanks for noticing things about the drawings. Glad you like some of them. Don't read too much into the recurring themes! They've always been there to some degree or other.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
Kashi
Kashi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Sep. 6th, 2010 @ 06:49 PM Reply

At 9/6/10 06:41 PM, J-qb wrote:

This is true.

I was, and still am, too lazy to go back in the thread and look at the rest (no offense) and i really cant remember too much of what you posted (once again, no offense :P) so yes, ignorance wasa probably going to ensue >.<

i think you should color your stuff D:

Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Sep. 6th, 2010 @ 06:52 PM Reply

At 9/6/10 06:49 PM, Kakashi1930 wrote:
At 9/6/10 06:41 PM, J-qb wrote:
This is true.

I was, and still am, too lazy to go back in the thread and look at the rest (no offense) and i really cant remember too much of what you posted (once again, no offense :P) so yes, ignorance wasa probably going to ensue >.<

i think you should color your stuff D:

Damn! I didn't realize Jqb beat me to the punch. I need to stop being so wordy.
I have no tools with which to do this, so the only way I can color is digitally.
I haven't had time for much digital stuff lately. Maybe eventually.
Eh, since I'm posting in here anyways, I guess I'll leave a drawing.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Sep. 6th, 2010 @ 06:57 PM Reply

Hm, wow, that last one didn't scan so well. The drawing behind it (a doodle of a guy with plugs for arms) is showing through, and there are some really ugly shadows on it.
Blech. I'm a little reluctant to show this one, but here's a more realistic drawing I did as practice for how to construct a human face properly. I also really wanted to draw someone with a handlebar mustache. It's not great (I'm terrible with realism), but I figure I should show it.
Yarr.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
MonkeykingZX
MonkeykingZX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Sep. 6th, 2010 @ 07:07 PM Reply

hope you don't mind but got bored and coloured your second moth drawing, will upload via imageshack once it's done

BBS Signature