New Topic Respond to this Topic
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Sep. 26th, 2010 @ 10:06 PM Reply

Oh! I just realized that I never showed you guys or even mentioned that I redid my userpage banner. I'll just show this while I'm still in a mood to post stuff.
I think this does a really good job of showing how far I've come digitally.

Instant change of subject because I know I'll forget if I don't post this now. Still not a very big deal, but I think the comparison is kind of cool.

Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii

My Art Thread.
Eeureka! With an exclamation point!

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Sep. 28th, 2010 @ 10:02 PM Reply

I don't even know. I feel like I just made something by Zombie-Eskimo; I swear it was unintentional. I was just testing out some nice artists pens that recently came into my possession with the thought in mind "Hm, the del segno mark kind of looks like a face." and I ended up with something rather abstract.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
CloudEater
CloudEater
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Sep. 29th, 2010 @ 02:50 AM Reply

At 9/28/10 10:02 PM, Luxembourg wrote: I don't even know. I feel like I just made something by Zombie-Eskimo; I swear it was unintentional. I was just testing out some nice artists pens that recently came into my possession with the thought in mind "Hm, the del segno mark kind of looks like a face." and I ended up with something rather abstract.

That is pretty cool, it is slightly Misagi like because of the thick character border but it's different. I don't even know what a del segno mark is so I thought it was intended to be a face... :D!

Zombie-Eskimo
Zombie-Eskimo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Sep. 29th, 2010 @ 05:38 PM Reply

At 9/28/10 10:02 PM, Luxembourg wrote: I don't even know. I feel like I just made something by Zombie-Eskimo; I swear it was unintentional. I was just testing out some nice artists pens that recently came into my possession with the thought in mind "Hm, the del segno mark kind of looks like a face." and I ended up with something rather abstract.

haha when i looked at that i was like "danm i wish i could draw like luxembourg" that looks really awesome dude.
oh and did u decide what your doing with the masking tape?

Celestica

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Sep. 29th, 2010 @ 06:02 PM Reply

At 9/29/10 05:38 PM, Zombie-Eskimo wrote:
haha when i looked at that i was like "danm i wish i could draw like luxembourg" that looks really awesome dude.
oh and did u decide what your doing with the masking tape?

Thanks Zombie (and Cloudy). It's weird, because I've thought the same thing about some of your stuff; "I wish I could do shit like that".
I've got an idea for the wall, yes; I'll show you when I've had some time to put a dent into it, which will probably be this weekend.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Oct. 6th, 2010 @ 04:33 PM Reply

I made a comic strip a long time ago.
Until last night, I had no intent to try and continue it, but last night, I felt the impulse to make a second page.
I think I'll make more. Not sure, but I think it's kinda fun.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Oct. 7th, 2010 @ 06:45 PM Reply

And a third page.
I'm enjoying this, but considering I know just about nothing about comic-making, some feedback would be great.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
Zombie-Eskimo
Zombie-Eskimo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Oct. 7th, 2010 @ 07:50 PM Reply

My Feedback: WOOHOO!

Celestica

BBS Signature
Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Oct. 7th, 2010 @ 10:23 PM Reply

Nice comic, Luxembourg - and it's pretty funny because the first page was drawn eons ago. Love the way where the plot is going, very, well, mystical, and the pages themselves are well-drawn and set out well for a comic. Looking forward to seeing more of this.

gmanthesandwhichking
gmanthesandwhichking
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Oct. 13th, 2010 @ 10:03 PM Reply

I really like the page setup for your comics and along with your art it just looks fascinating. One question though, about how long does it take to make one page?

"Make art, not war." - Shepard Fairey

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Oct. 13th, 2010 @ 10:07 PM Reply

At 10/13/10 10:03 PM, gmanthesandwhichking wrote: I really like the page setup for your comics and along with your art it just looks fascinating. One question though, about how long does it take to make one page?

Ranges. Second page, I spent about an hour or so, maybe an hour and a half. Third page, I spent more than two hours.
The fourth page isn't inked yet, but it's drawn in pencil/written out. I imagine by the time I finish inking it, I'll have spent 2.5-3 hours on it.
Bear in mind, this all figures in figuring out where to put everything and the dialogue and everything, and I'm a pretty slow artist to begin with.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
gmanthesandwhichking
gmanthesandwhichking
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Oct. 13th, 2010 @ 10:21 PM Reply

and I'm a pretty slow artist to begin with.

I feel ya man. My pictures can take about 45mins.- 1 hour and half at the least, just because if everything isn't perfect, it isn't done.

"Make art, not war." - Shepard Fairey

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Oct. 14th, 2010 @ 07:12 PM Reply

Fourth page complete.
Dunno if it's an improvement or not, but it left the bounds of the other ones by changing the setting, introducing another character, and using lots of dialogue.

I'd strongly suggest you full-size it. You probably won't be able to read it otherwise.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Oct. 14th, 2010 @ 10:11 PM Reply

I like your different takes on the masks - everything from a ballroom Venetian mask, to a surgical mask, and now even a mid-nose shroud, and that's pretty damn interesting- I honestly expected to see a hundred different variations of the same mask type for a comic like this, to be honest.

However, the text is nigh on impossible to read, so I can't really judge the characters. I'd suggest sharpening the image, or if lacking some sort of photo alteration material (say, Gimp, I don't know what Corel can do) then just refining the text might help, because although the concept is cool it's not much good if I can't read it.

Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Oct. 15th, 2010 @ 08:52 PM Reply

I typed out all the speech on the portal submission:
Short-haired Girl: If you don't mind my asking, what exactly is it that you two do?
Long-haired girl: Have you ever travelled outside the city?
S-H Girl: Of Course!
L-H Girl: Well, then, you know full well that most of the city is abandoned, right? The parts left by those who came before, I mean.
S-H Girl: What about them?
L-H Girl: We scavenge those areas for parts, and sell them to those who can use them. Their technology was so profound. There's so much we could do with it if the government wasn't so damned stingy!
S-H Girl: So you're basically black-market traders? How naughty!
L-H Girl: It's illegal, sure, but we're really not doing anything wrong. We do background checks and such to make sure none of our customers intend to make doomsday machines, torture devices, death cannons, or anything of the sort. Most of the technology was agricultural or medical, if you'd believe it. Fascinating stuff.

It's mostly my handwriting. I'm going to switch to a finer pen for future pages, so that the text will be more readble. It became more of a problem with this one, I'll admit. Sorry about that.

I want the characters to look and feel different, so I'm trying to give each one a different kind of mask. You may not have noticed this, but I'm trying to give them different speech bubbles as well. The main character's- the long haired girl (whose name will be Yvette whenever I actually get around to more formally interesting names)- speech bubbles are broken glass, while the short haired girl's- whose name will be Cordelia- bubbles are decorated with tendril things coming off of them. The male's- he will be Maximilian- have swirls. I've got more ideas for masks in mind for future characters.
I'll try harder to make improvements on readability in the future. Sorry about that.
Thanks for the feedback.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Oct. 25th, 2010 @ 03:29 PM Reply

I felt like doing something digital, so I did.
I don't feel like I'm getting any better with my art. Feedback is appreciated.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Oct. 25th, 2010 @ 05:48 PM Reply

Frog. Ribbit.
My scanner made it look messier than it actually is, but I think I did a pretty decent job, considering how rare it is that I do realism. It was referenced.
Feedback?

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Oct. 25th, 2010 @ 05:50 PM Reply

At 10/25/10 05:48 PM, Luxembourg wrote: Frog. Ribbit.
My scanner made it look messier than it actually is, but I think I did a pretty decent job, considering how rare it is that I do realism. It was referenced.
Feedback?

Oh, shit. I forgot the image!

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
DemocracyFTW
DemocracyFTW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Oct. 25th, 2010 @ 05:50 PM Reply

Feedback?

Its certainly not bad, but it could do for some improvement. For instance, the shading is a bit half heartedly done; it looks uneven, and since a frog is really slimy, it should look very smooth.

every morn I awake from the cavernous night
look at my pictures
look at pictures I look at

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Oct. 25th, 2010 @ 05:55 PM Reply

At 10/25/10 05:50 PM, DemocracyFTW wrote:
Feedback?
Its certainly not bad, but it could do for some improvement. For instance, the shading is a bit half heartedly done; it looks uneven, and since a frog is really slimy, it should look very smooth.

Like I said, the actual drawing is less messy, and the shading's a bit smoother on that. I was having a pretty difficult time making it look smooth. What exactly do you mean that the shading is half-hearted? The picture referenced was pretty bright, so I only put shading where it was in that picture. Or do you mean how I generally shaded it in? Because I can see where you're coming from with that, and I'd just have to say it's a little bit of an eagerness to finish the drawing. I'm not much a fan of realism. I'll probably go back and smooth it out some, and I'll try to be less lazy in the future. My bad.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Oct. 30th, 2010 @ 10:17 AM Reply

I carved a pumkin. It's not good, but it is my pumpkin.

It's a narwhal-ghost-thing surrounded by clouds, to clarify.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Oct. 31st, 2010 @ 04:25 PM Reply

Page 5. Something about it feels off and wrong, but I can't pinpoint what.
But, hey, it's legible this time! You might need to see it full size though, since the text is kind of small.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
Fifty-50
Fifty-50
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Oct. 31st, 2010 @ 08:56 PM Reply

Your are making comics now? I say, your illustrations are very lovely. And you've improve in a significant manner as well.

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Oct. 31st, 2010 @ 08:59 PM Reply

At 10/31/10 08:56 PM, Fifty-50 wrote: Your are making comics now? I say, your illustrations are very lovely. And you've improve in a significant manner as well.

I haven't improved as much as you have (man, you've gotten worlds better in the past year), but thank you. It's nice to hear that I am getting better. I made the first page more than half a year ago, and pages 2-5 were done in the past few weeks.

Page 5 was done this morning, actually.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Oct. 31st, 2010 @ 09:39 PM Reply

Great stuff, coming along nicely. The comic is now much, much more readable, although the plot probably won't be very understandable for another few pages or so, I'm getting a hang of the world that you've shown. Have to ask: what made you decide to go ahead and do the comic? Doesn't really seem like the type of project done on a whim.

The pumpkin is pretty rad, too, but if you really want to go ahead and improve at it I'd say to go ahead and study some of the master pumpkin carver's stuff - that is, you don't really have to bother cutting from the entire layer of the pumpkin, getting rid of the outer skin works just as well and allows for much more detailed engravings - as it is, anyone not familiar with your style wouldn't even have a clue as to what it is.

But great stuff so far.

Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Oct. 31st, 2010 @ 09:47 PM Reply

At 10/31/10 09:39 PM, Lintire wrote: Great stuff, coming along nicely. The comic is now much, much more readable, although the plot probably won't be very understandable for another few pages or so, I'm getting a hang of the world that you've shown. Have to ask: what made you decide to go ahead and do the comic? Doesn't really seem like the type of project done on a whim.

The pumpkin is pretty rad, too, but if you really want to go ahead and improve at it I'd say to go ahead and study some of the master pumpkin carver's stuff - that is, you don't really have to bother cutting from the entire layer of the pumpkin, getting rid of the outer skin works just as well and allows for much more detailed engravings - as it is, anyone not familiar with your style wouldn't even have a clue as to what it is.

But great stuff so far.

It was kind of a whim to make the second page, but have you ever read through the entire archives of a webcomic that started out with bad art? The transformation that some of these people go through is pretty astounding; you can see how they improve through their comics. I want that.
I realize now that I won't really improve through it like they do because I'm not working with any kind of pressure or anything. No deadlines, no audience. I'm still kind of enjoying it, though, so I'm continuing anyways. I might be able to squeeze something worthwhile from it.

And, no, I have no intention to become some kind of master pumpkin carver. I'd like to get better at it, but I don't have the means to work with too many pumpkins and it's mostly something I just did for fun.
Thanks for the feedback, man. Always appreciate it.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Nov. 13th, 2010 @ 05:12 PM Reply

Another still life.
I spent a lot of time on this one. It's a damned shame I can't get it to scan well.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Nov. 14th, 2010 @ 02:14 PM Reply

This is a washer-woman.
I feel a little proud of some of the details I put into this drawing, but I also feel ashamed of how gritty it looks.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
DemocracyFTW
DemocracyFTW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Nov. 14th, 2010 @ 02:17 PM Reply

At 11/13/10 05:12 PM, Luxembourg wrote: Another still life.
I spent a lot of time on this one. It's a damned shame I can't get it to scan well.

really nicely done, it looks nice. And what I meant earlier was that it seemed a bit scribbled, but like you said, could just be the picture. Keep it up.

every morn I awake from the cavernous night
look at my pictures
look at pictures I look at

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Luxembourg's Art Thread Ii Nov. 14th, 2010 @ 02:20 PM Reply

At 11/14/10 02:17 PM, DemocracyFTW wrote:
At 11/13/10 05:12 PM, Luxembourg wrote: Another still life.
really nicely done, it looks nice. And what I meant earlier was that it seemed a bit scribbled, but like you said, could just be the picture. Keep it up.

I totally see what you mean. It does have an element of scribbliness, but it seems all my pencil drawings have that and I don't even see it until it's on the screen. I want to blame it on my scanner, but I feel like I should take the heat for it myself.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature