Respond to this Topic
Listen2Reason
Listen2Reason
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 50
Programmer
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 01:24:21 Reply

Give people a few weeks' warning. Maybe give them all a private message warning them about it. Display the message when they log in. "Notice! You will not be able to change your name after X date!" Then go for it, lock them all down.

I like my name, I've had the same one all the time.

Hmmm, this makes me curious. How many people have changed their account names? Can you divide the population into segments? Like...x% of the users never change their names, x% have changed it once, x% have changed it 2-5 times, x% have changed it 6 or more times? Just curious. :D This would give you an idea of how many people you'd tick off if you did this.

Don't forget to add stuff to the registration page saying "You'll never be able to change your username so be sure you have one you like"!

PaperBagMask
PaperBagMask
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 01:29:50 Reply

How about your url always stays the same but you can change your name whenever you want.
So if I had paperbagmask.newgrounds.com I could change my alias to something else but the URL will still be paperbagmask.newgrounds.com.
It'd work the same as the number system.

Jesse-Ray
Jesse-Ray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 01:30:32 Reply

I'm completely for it, more so because it gets pretty confusing around the BBS when users keep changing there alias's.

BBS Signature
4AM
4AM
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 01:33:49 Reply

A SOLUTION:

Allow users to change their names. Their old username URL points to their new username URL for, say, 30 days. Include a notice on the top of the page when this redirection takes place, a big yellow banner with red text right below the top header stating "This URL will soon change to whatever.newgrounds.com, please make a note!"

After 30 days, the old link goes dead and the name is freed up.

The only problem I can see with this is people would start "blocking" usernames and it would create a huge headache for you to admin this new system. Permanent lockdown of names would also prove a problem liek this as well.

You could keep a database of all the users of a certain name at one point or another, and when a link is followed the banner could pop up again and say "Not who you're looking for? Check the name change registry". Apon clicking, they could be given a link table allowing for redirection to any of the former users of the name.

But that might be a little over the top...or maybe not:

The best idea I can think of is a slight take on the way MySpace does it: Allow the DNS names to be changed at will, but the name just re-directs you to the account numbered page. DNS is useless for websites doing the linking, as anyone writing a web page with a link can easily be bothered to copy and paste the numbered link into their HTML code. Hell, that's just as easy as copy-and-pasting the DNS-prefixed URL. The whole purpose of a DNS name is for people to remember easily, so the sole purpose of that could be for users typing a URL into their browsers off the top of their head. Combine this with the DNS-prefix name history feature and you might just have yourself a workng dynamic system.

You're welcome.

4AM
4AM
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 02:16:16 Reply

OK, maybe I should explain my idea a little better:

I sign up for an account, here is my info:

ID: 123456 (permanent)
Display Name: The Winktologist (can be changed whenever)
DNS Prefix name: winktologylabs (Also can be changed whenever)

This creates not only an entry into the user database, but also an entry into a new database which tracks name changes:

Name Change Table
Entry #: 1
Account ID: 123456
DNS Name: winktologylabs
Dates: 11/07/2006 - Present

After which my account can be accessed from the following URLs:

http://www.newgrounds.com/users/123456
-OR-
http://winktologylabs.newgrounds.com

...the latter of which would redirect me to the former. Since my ID number will not change, this URL will ALWAYS point to me. However, the page content will ALWAYS reflect the DNS-prefixed URL, because it is easier to remember for people, which is the whole point.

One day, I decide I heart the bung. Why, I have no idea, but for the sake of argument, I am taint's biggest fan; so I decide to makeover my Newgrounds "image" to suit this change.

Display Name: The Proctologist [CHANGED]
DNS Prefix Name: proctologylabs [CHANGED]

This causes an update in the NG user databases, and a new entry in our change table:

Name Change Table
Dates: 11/07/2006 - 11/08/2006 [CHANGED]
--------------------
Entry #: 2
DNS Name: proctologylabs
Dates: 11/08/2006 - Present

Until someone claims the old name, BOTH URLs will redirect to my numbered page. This will allow people who are unaware of the change to continue to visit the page, as well as those using the new URL. Anyone hard-linking from a web page should use the numbered URL anyway, because no one will see it embeded in a page.

Perhaps now, another has been enlightened to the wonders of Winktology and decides to start their OWN animation lab which never submits anything to NG because of a lack of time and skill. This person creates the following account:

ID: 654321 (permanent)
Display Name: The Winktologist Jr.
DNS Prefix name: winktologylabs (a dupe!)

This is where most see conflict, but thanks to our tracking table, we see opportunity for a wonderfully dynamic online community! A new entry is added to said table:

Name Change Table
Dates: 11/07/2006 - 11/08/2006
--------------------
Entry #: 2
DNS Name: proctologylabs
Dates: 11/08/2006 - Present
--------------------
Entry #: 3
Account ID: 654321
Dates: 11/09/2006 - Present

Notice we now have plenty of data to clear up who is using what name; "winktologylabs" is presently in use by the new account, 654321, and "proctologylabs" belongs to the old account, 123456. Each URL is redirected to the proper user page based on ID, and so far all is well.

"WAIT A MINUTE," you say, "I wanted the original, not this lame n00b!" you say as you type "winktologylabs.newgrounds.com" into your browser. Never fear, NG is Teh Smartiez™ now! Using the Name Data Table, we can see that winktologylabs is less than 30 days old. Therefore, after the redirect, we could include a banner with a link to a page that lists any former user of the name and the dates they used it, with a link to their current URL. Again, with a simple query, the Name Data Table can provide this information in detail for us as well, including cross-referencing for a user icon, or the title of a recent submission.

After 30 days (or whatever amount of time), the banner could be reduced to a small box on the side of the page in a very unintrusive sort of a way.

All major problems are solved:

- Page names are flexible; have your work identified however you wish.
- Users who get lost can find their way quickly and with minimal fuss.
- A system is in place to prevent broken links, no matter what is happening with the DNS names. (This depends on webmasters using the numeric links in their HTML)

Locking down names might be easier, but this would be kind of neat and seem like sort of a cop-out now, wouldn't it? ;-)

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to wake up for work tommorow, and then play Guitar Hero 2 all night for 12 hours until my next work shift. ALIEN HOMINID RULES

erixs
erixs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 02:23:29 Reply

I don't believe it to be a big issue. Have never thought of changing my alias. Do that and lockdown the usernames. I much rather prefer the url erixs.newgrounds.com then to be able to change my alias.

It's a good idea and i think you should go for it!

Xiivi
Xiivi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 58
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 02:26:10 Reply

This really is becoming the great name purge of 2006. All I can say is maybe you should send an automated message to all users before and after the finalization of this.

I feel sorry for new sign-ups though. They don't get years to fiddle around with their aliases finding just the perfect one, as I had. Oh well, there loss. I had plenty of fun name changing all of these years though, it was a great feature. But if it must be sacrificed so we can be the next Blog site, so be it. :P

Wi/Ht? #28

BBS Signature
Lost-Chances
Lost-Chances
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 02:38:30 Reply

Would it be possible to know an appoximate time you're going to turn NewGrounds into MySpace?

This too will pass.
Memento mori

BBS Signature
dunikie
dunikie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 02:41:22 Reply

At 11/6/06 08:31 PM, MuyBurrito wrote: Would it be possible to give users a "Display Name" that can be changed as the username is changed under the current system, while locking down an official "Account Name" which is tied directly to user pages?

I agree to this. I think this is like what Myspace does where you have your personal URL account name but you can change your display name. Now, I never change my name because that's just me, but I know people who would DIE if they couldn't change their name on a whim. You don't have anything to lose really because people aren't going to leave if nothing changes but if you were to lockdown the names, you might lose some fans. Maybe hit up Tom from Myspace and find out what he did.

ShadowRift
ShadowRift
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 02:47:50 Reply

Personally, I like the idea I've seen so far of leaving a dynamic display name, while locking down a URL for that user's homepage. I don't know if it is feasible, but having both a user name which can be changed, and then a profile name to link up to the site seems kind of like a happy medium for this situation.

~Rift~

BlueHippo
BlueHippo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 55
Artist
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 02:52:42 Reply

how people can constantly change their names has good freedom, but it can be annoying. personally i never change my name (with a few wacky exceptions) as BlueHippo is me through and through :)

i haven't read this thread fully yet as i'm not as "home" ("home" being where i'm staying), so i'm not sure if it's been adressed, but hopefully we can get admin name changes or something, like most websites. that would be fine by me, all this name freedom is unusual, and will take some getting used to.

i have to go, my friend just broke our $350 bong, i have to go freak out brb.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - : : fart : : bikes: : - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

BBS Signature
captain-hasselhoff
captain-hasselhoff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 02:54:16 Reply

personally, i don't have any problems with the name change. My username for *all* the sites I visit has been something along the lines of badger-head, and I don't have any wishes to change it. Do what you wish, Tom ;)

And on an off-topic note, I'd like to take this opportunity to laugh at the people who seriously thought Tom was dead. LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Obliquo
Obliquo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 02:59:31 Reply

I've only changed my name for special occasions or that im just a bit bored with it. A lot of users would probably be pissed at the situation but im not too much.

Rucklo
Rucklo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Audiophile
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 03:10:10 Reply

6 pages, and i have 5 min until class starts... probably suggested before, but here goes;

Lockdown one selected name, allow profile names to be changed. After a while ppl will probably get bored about changing names anyway, since the "anonymosity" would disapear with a "name lock"...

Join the Newgrounds Battlefield 3 Platoon (for PC)! DON'T ASK WHAT YOUR GAME CAN DO FOR YOU, ASK WHAT YOU CAN DO FOR, UH, NEWGROUNDS! ON BATTLEFIELD 3. eh...

Afro-Ninja
Afro-Ninja
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Game Developer
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 03:25:08 Reply

Fine with me. Smoother user pages > name changing novelty imo

BBS Signature
THE-BOLSHEVIK
THE-BOLSHEVIK
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 03:25:23 Reply

I've already made a movie with my name (with an underscore, but still) and I have no plan to change it. I think that those who actually change their username often are actually in the minority. Even if there was a username lockdown, I think it would eventually lead people to have more pride in their usernames. I am, and forever shall be, THE-BOLSHEVIK, and I'm damn proud of it.

Charged
Charged
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 03:29:11 Reply

No big deal, just give people enough warning before you lock it down and it should be fine.

BBS Signature
N-Antichrist
N-Antichrist
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 03:34:18 Reply

nah, let us change our names.

I hardly ever come here anymore....

BBS Signature
positively-negative
positively-negative
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Reader
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 03:37:01 Reply

But changing a user name is crucial part of NG and is loved by most users at some point when they begin to hate their username.

N-Antichrist
N-Antichrist
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 03:39:34 Reply

ugh, I hate all the people saying this is a good thing.

FREEDOM. stop taking the freedom out of this site. Freedom to have a big sig, freedom to make a review, now freedom to change our name

It's silly. Don't do this Tom.

I hardly ever come here anymore....

BBS Signature
someone-else
someone-else
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 03:40:20 Reply

The "Account name" and the "Display Name" seems to be a good idea for me. However, I have some suggestions.

I know that this goes against the "Grand Scheme" of NG. But is it possible to have users decide?

Like I mean that users who want to have a personal page must lock down their names before they can have one. And users who want to be able to change their names not be able to have a personal page. So then now users must decide whether or not to lock down the names for the sake of a personal page.

Also, each user who has their name locked down would have a special indicator (like a boarder or something) so when visiting their profile or replying on the BBS, that other users can see that this name is locked down, and that this name cannot change.

Also, in the case that a locked username wants to change, they would have to be of a certain level and wait 30 days or something before they can do so. If you really wanted to, you could make the users pay a small "fee" in order to have their name changed.

Pros:
-satisfies everyones needs

Cons:
-NG becomes less uniform
-User renaming may become a problem
-More alts for people who want both

Another alternative, which probably has been already mentioned, is to have the ID # in the webpage:

So instead of InsertNameHere.newgrounds.com it would become 1234567.newgrounds.com

Pros:
-Takes away the problem of user name switching

Cons:
-Doesn't look as nice

But whatever you decide, I won't complain if we have to lock down our names. Just make sure you give us an announcement before you do so.

int experience, posts;
while(experience/10 >= posts)
{posts++};

THE-BRAVE-PIMP
THE-BRAVE-PIMP
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 03:43:42 Reply

I'm glad you liked my idea, Keep wearin' out the mouse homie, Peace.

Ressurection666
Ressurection666
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Game Developer
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 03:47:27 Reply

i don't have a problem with my name being locked down as i have only changed it once (used to be mrb1) but i don't wanna change it againg so it's fine with me.

Kenneth-Knows-All
Kenneth-Knows-All
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 04:03:54 Reply

What ?! No !
Name changes please...

/b/

BBS Signature
XwaynecoltX
XwaynecoltX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Movie Buff
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 04:04:21 Reply

Lock the names seems like it would make things easier for many things such as alts but mostly the dilema you have, so lock em up.

~X~

~X~ ~X~ ~X~ (FOLLOW-ME)
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
POXNORA ??? A Very Unique game

BBS Signature
MattTheParanoidKat
MattTheParanoidKat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 04:29:22 Reply

I could really give a fuck about my own personal webprofile on NG. It would be to much like myspace, and that would suck ass. I would love to change , my name to a permanant name in the near future... keep it as it is.

squeakytoad
squeakytoad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 04:32:17 Reply

Yeah, just lock them up. DeviantART does it and everyone over there is fine.
If someone wants a name change that bad they can just delete their old account and get a new one. Or something...

RupeeClock
RupeeClock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Animator
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 04:34:09 Reply

At 11/7/06 04:32 AM, squeakytoad wrote: Yeah, just lock them up. DeviantART does it and everyone over there is fine.
If someone wants a name change that bad they can just delete their old account and get a new one. Or something...

That's fine for small artists who don't have anything worthwhile in their profiles dude, if we wanted a namechange on here, it would mean making a new account and abandoning flash, music, portal awards, exp, b/p points, forum posts and more.

I'm not affected by the name change, I think it'll do some good, but it'll be problematic for the important changes.

squeakytoad
squeakytoad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 04:44:14 Reply

At 11/7/06 04:34 AM, RupeeClock wrote:
At 11/7/06 04:32 AM, squeakytoad wrote: Yeah, just lock them up. DeviantART does it and everyone over there is fine.
That's fine for small artists who don't have anything worthwhile in their profiles dude, if we wanted a namechange on here, it would mean making a new account and abandoning flash, music, portal awards, exp, b/p points, forum posts and more.

I'm not affected by the name change, I think it'll do some good, but it'll be problematic for the important changes.

My main point was, millions upon millions of DeviantART users suffice with only one unchangeable name. Why can't the NG users?

I'm also curious as to what these new user pages will do. I'm all fine for them if they just add on to the site, but if they change stuff.. I don't like change.
Change makes me feel insecure.
Change is scary.

Numenos
Numenos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 04:44:58 Reply

Well... seriously, i am really glad you gave us a heads up...

i really dont want this to go down, every time i think of a name, i hate it 2 weeks later. this is a huge problem on the net, because i can never change my name if i end up hating it...

i love newgrounds, because i can change my name whenever i get tired of my old name (i hate the name seercentral by the way... im glad you gave me this oppertunity to change it, i just havent thought of a new one yet).

please tom, think of another way than cutting of the ability to change our names... it what makes ng special :P