00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Jmurr12 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Username Lockdown?

50,471 Views | 404 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 09:16:27

To be honest I think it's better with a name lock down. People tend to change their username all the time, making it hard to recognize who's who.

Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 09:23:15

Sounds fine to me. Good luck with the redesign <3

Find a mountain to stand on.

BBS Signature

Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 09:43:21

WHY?!

Why can't you just allow us to create our own user page domain names? For example, I can change my alias to whatever I want it to be while having a permanent domain name, like arabfreak.newgrounds.com

It's like MySpace. You can create your own Myspace.com/yourname address, but you can't change it. You should do that here.

Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 09:53:58

The only problem i would have is if i wanted to join a crew or club like the Clock crew.

Wouldn't be able to change my name then. Unless a feature for crews was added in the user profile but i doubt that's gonna happen.

Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 09:54:06

you should make it so only users with a lv 10 or higher can do that

"THE TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREE" JOHN 8:32

BBS Signature

Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 09:56:00

At 11/6/06 08:26 PM, TomFulp wrote: The question is... Do we allow users to change their names at this point? If you change your name, you are essentially changing your URL, meaning all existing links to your page will become dead links.

I think it would be rather simple just to add another field in the sign-up form that would be the domain name wouldn't it ? It allows everyone to pick a domain name without losing the possibility to change their username.

The downsides of this idea is that it mean some users might be unable to use their own alias as a domain name (what if I decide suddently to get my domain name "Mindchamber" before the real Mindchamber does ?). It might lead to more abuse and problems than a username lockdown ...

Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 09:56:15

Couldn't you just have a redirect from the previous URL whenever an user changes his/her name?

BBS Signature

Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 10:00:29

to tell you the truth tom, i liked the seperate smaller window which popped up with our account information and all that jazz, it made it easier to click on my account info and still be on the same pages in the BBS or Portal...though it's cool to have user pages, i'm interested in how you will run them, but perhaps doing what a number of other users have been suggesting with a changeable "display name" which will go down for forums and such like, like how myspace's works, but having the sit itself based on the account's original name or unique account number....I like being bale to change names, even if I dont do it much, and to tell the truth, what if the account name you want is taken, and you and wade do what you did this past couple of months with getting rid of unused accounts and names and opening them up again...people will be stuck with usernames they dont like, and as some other users have already mentioned, you grow out of it...this site basically has users who come around for years at a time.

though, I can't stop you from doing what you wish, and you did ask our opinion, and that is mine. I hope you take it to heart when you make your final decisions on the issue...not that usernames is all that important on a site that is for artists...it's just that they're something personal that makes the site more of a community then a clusterfuck of 13 year olds

¥ ♡ ¥ BBS, Review and Chat Mod - PM for help or to snitch! ¥ ♡ ¥

¥ ♡ ¥ Sig pic by Pingu ¥ ♡ ¥

BBS Signature

Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 10:08:24

At 11/7/06 09:56 AM, Myst wrote: I think it would be rather simple just to add another field in the sign-up form that would be the domain name wouldn't it ? It allows everyone to pick a domain name without losing the possibility to change their username.

I agree.

The downsides of this idea is that it mean some users might be unable to use their own alias as a domain name (what if I decide suddently to get my domain name "Mindchamber" before the real Mindchamber does ?). It might lead to more abuse and problems than a username lockdown

Simple, just have it so the system automatically makes your user page's default domain as your current username. Unless you change it, it will always stay that way.

At 11/7/06 10:00 AM, Malachy wrote: to tell you the truth tom, i liked the seperate smaller window which popped up with our account information and all that jazz, it made it easier to click on my account info and still be on the same pages in the BBS or Portal

I'd rather have it that way. While looking at a person's profile, you can click on his/her "user page" button to see it.

Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 10:23:23

But Im a user that hasn't gotten a set username so this change will be difficult for me.
I wouldn't mind the name TommyGunn but it's taken at the moment. Since that stupid underscore rule you've effectively killed Saint_Sileighty. He was already dead inside anyway.
PicPWNjo has faded in memory.

I guess I'll just have a million alt's then....
I really, really, really miss the underscore though...

My poor former name...

it's my name on EVERY other website....

"It isn't that democrats are ignorant. Far from it. it's just that they know so much that just isn't so"

Ronald Reagan

Proud supporter of the Dinosaur Conspiracy Theory

BBS Signature

Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 10:23:25

At 11/7/06 10:14 AM, Placebo wrote:
At 11/7/06 10:00 AM, Malachy wrote: ...not that usernames is all that important on a site that is for artists...it's just that they're something personal that makes the site more of a community then a clusterfuck of 13 year olds
That's about as truthful as it gets right there.

yeah...and when my username is locked to <deleted> we'll all have a hearty laugh...except me, i'll be crying...

¥ ♡ ¥ BBS, Review and Chat Mod - PM for help or to snitch! ¥ ♡ ¥

¥ ♡ ¥ Sig pic by Pingu ¥ ♡ ¥

BBS Signature

Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 10:29:46

Why not...

Just have two usernames? One official, display name which ties in with submissions and URLs, and is locked, and one changeable forum alias? I personally have mainly changed my name for the forums, and I'm sure most other users feel the same. A permanent name would be good for putting in Flashes and links and stuff, so it'd all work out pretty well.

IMO.

BBS Signature

Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 10:30:00

i'v never really been happy with my username here at newgrounds,
things change so i want to change my name, iv been here so long and to have my lvl 10 account stuck with a name i hate issent going to be a nice thing!

i just changed it from feeltheburn to cashuu
feeltheburn is my website but i dont want my account to have that name.

i dont want it to have cashuu really, what i want is lloyd but some ghey registerd that name then hassent used his account in years, so theres a perfectly good name gone to waste!

:( me no happy

Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 10:31:34

At 11/7/06 10:29 AM, Paranoia wrote: Why not...

I see about 500 people have already suggested this. I should really read through before posting...

BBS Signature

Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 10:36:02

Well this is a dilemma, you could just leave the user change to how it is now. And if people decide to change their username then its up to them to fix the broken links.

Gorilla Studios || A game is like sex, its better when its free

BBS Signature

Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 10:41:25

At 11/7/06 10:39 AM, GAAARGH wrote: Probobally been said, but;

Onnet's going to be pissed. (:

Hehe, I can see his little face already :)

BBS Signature

Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 10:42:19

Damn! I was thinking to change my name but it's okay...
My original Alias is Kde777...

But these last new things are taking the freedom of the users! Don't you think?

It's not more easy with the IDs # instead the usernames???

Why this idea?

BBS Signature

Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 10:51:59

I'm more worried about the amount of new sites created by guys trying to avoid their ban.
I've kept my Username since the start of my NG life, so I'm sure others can too.

This is a Prime piece of real estate below.

BBS Signature

Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 10:53:13

So what about a nickname feature?

All my eHobbies.

[ Myspace | MeteorHigh | Email | DBZ RPG ]

BBS Signature

Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 10:56:05

Lock it if you want, I'm happy with this one and quite used to having a name you can't change.

What you could do is provide an extra field where you can enter your forum name, that CAN be changed.

"My software never has bugs. It just develops random features. " - Unknown

[ FluxBB developer | Quickmarks 0.5.1 | Strings & Ints - my blog ]

BBS Signature

Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 10:59:20

maybe give the option of making your own name for the url kind of like ytmnd have

BBS Signature

Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 11:05:02

Ummmm... Seriously. How do you change your name?

FUCK THE CLOCK CREW

YIFF IN HELL FURFGAS YIFF IN HELL FURFGAS YIFF IN HELL FURFGAS YIFF IN HELL FURFGAS

Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 11:07:42

Never changed my Username and porlly will never change it, so fire away and don't ask questions, i'd say.

BBS Signature

Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 11:08:13

i dont mind it at all. but i understand that many users will and all that i have to say is , "sucks for you :P !"

Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 11:18:46

Good point.

I don't want to change my name, I'm happy the way it is.

I think that maybe you could give a warning to people that if they want to change their name, they should do it then, before they are locked, and if someone wishes to have a name that was previously taken by someone who never comes on the site, then it can be changed, like when people had to get rid of the underscores.

Either that or people can just deal with the dead links =/

If in any way you disagree with this post, understand that you're a cunt.

Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 11:23:33

Remember you have two names. Your username and your display name.
(eg. When it says 'Adam Philips (chluaid)' on submissions, chluaid is the username and Adam Philips is the display name) You can always change your Display name.

Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 11:26:52

What would happen to the new kids who create total bullshit names when they were young, when they get a few years more experience and want to change their name but keep their stats?

I had a total arsewipe name the first time I joined, since then I must have changed it about 5 times and I still reckon I'll do it again in the future.

I think whatever you decide you've got to remember that people will always want to change their aliases

BBS Signature

Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 11:29:29

I'm not reading through nine pages, but I'm going to suggest making it so when you change your username, it changes the URL, and if you link to what it used to be, it re-directs. Only problem is, people would probably abuse the feature and steal as many URLs as possible. So I guess it is a dilemma. :(

Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 11:29:42

At 11/6/06 08:26 PM, TomFulp wrote:
The question is... Do we allow users to change their names at this point? If you change your name, you are essentially changing your URL, meaning all existing links to your page will become dead links.

I wasn't aware we had the option of changing our nyms in the first place. Heh.
As far as the problem of deadlinks go, is it really such a problem? Yeah, people outside
of NG who link to specific pages at the NG site might find it a royal bother, but the person
most hurt by something like that is the person who would change hir nym on a frequent basis.
Unless, of course, you're suggesting that there are NG members who are such jerks that
they'd flip names just for the twisted joy of creating dead links so as to give the NG servers
busy work.

I suppose if you and liljim (or whoever codes for the site) wanted to be extra nice to people
outside of NG it might be possible to write a script that keeps track of nym changes and
redirects to the appropriate page when someone uses an outdated URL. My experience with
a site that does not allow nym changes is that when a person really wants to change hir nym
the person creates a new account and either migrates the old material to the new account
or simply abandons the old account. Would that create less or more mess for NG than
finding a way to allow folks to still change their nyms?

And thanks for the headsup. I'll give some thought to it as i'm kinda tired of the nym i
currently use here.

"They are an inquisitive race, always anxious to pry into other mens' lives, but never ready to correct their own." -Augustine of Hippo

BBS Signature

Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 11:32:57

That's not really a problem to me. I've never been a great fan of changing my username every 5 seconds (or every month lol).

BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER

BBS Signature