Respond to this Topic
Shaun
Shaun
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 04:48:23 Reply

At 11/7/06 03:39 AM, N-Antichrist wrote: FREEDOM. stop taking the freedom out of this site. Freedom to have a big sig, freedom to make a review, now freedom to change our name

1. how has freedom to review been taken away?
2. this change on the whole would give users MORE freedom, individual customizable profile pages.
3. you have the FREEDOM to choose a name when you signed up, theres more ways to be creative on a holiday then changing your name to BigBadSanta or whatever.

// Sig Makers // WWE Fans // Tumblr //

BBS Signature
Little-Rena
Little-Rena
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Melancholy
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 05:17:06 Reply

I've basicly stuck with my username throughout.
The only change I made was from "Little_Rena" to "Little-Rena"
So it's not really a big deal.

Name changes aren't that important.
If you stilc with a name, people will remember who you are better.
In my opinion anyway.

Also, a custom profile page beats username changes.

Fox-loyalist
Fox-loyalist
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 05:54:59 Reply

I dont to lose the username change, who knows when you might want to change it?

Sig orignaly made by Newgrounds sig makers, updated by Tahmatassu
I have no idea what I'm doing here, and why are you reading this?

BBS Signature
bartard
bartard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 06:11:45 Reply

you could make up the urls from a user's real name eg rorycooke.newgrounds.com

Wonchop
Wonchop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Animator
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 06:17:25 Reply

I reccomend asking people like Channel Cat (creator of Sheezyart) about how to handle this kind of thing.
Also I see you're not dead. Always good.

Gunnage
Gunnage
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 06:30:04 Reply

Well... you could always set it up so the users must send you an email saying why they want to change it, do they have a reason etc etc etc. and then you can choose who's aloud to change and whos not and change it personally, but only if the request is good.

I dunno if it's a good idea, but it was just a thought.

"Watch out, those teddy bares are armed and dangerous"

BBS Signature
Torkelson
Torkelson
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 06:43:49 Reply

Maybe use a name change limit, like 3 perhaps. You can only change your name 3 times then that ability is locked.

Just a thought

PSN: Tork14

BBS Signature
Mogly
Mogly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Animator
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 06:54:44 Reply

You could have a couple of different options. There is already the first name, last name and alias options, well why not have a 'primary name' or something for the profile link. This could be changed, but not often as it wouldn't be a simple fix. For example a site admin could have to do it or something.

WEBSITE
BLOG ~ Dont fuck around with my dog. All that I can see I steal. ~
NG FFR ~ Automatic for the people.

BBS Signature
Karou-WindStalker
Karou-WindStalker
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 07:01:55 Reply

I don't personally have any issue with locking the names down. The name I have here won't be changing in the forseeable future, and the only change that did happen was when the underscore was changed toa hyphen.

If you do go with a lock-down, I'd give at minimum a month's notice, so everyone has the option to select the name that they feels describes them best.

Murray
Murray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 59
Audiophile
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 07:09:15 Reply

At 11/6/06 08:26 PM, TomFulp wrote: Consider this post a sort of heads up... There's a chance your name might go on lockdown, so be sure it's the name you want to have. This is also a chance for everyone to share their opinions concerning this course of action. Go for it.

Well, whether changing usernames will be disabled or not, I thought I better change back to my usual name before it may be too late. Thanks for the notice about this. I did think maybe redirect the URL of a user to its current alias (e.g. if my old URL was http://helloween.newgrounds.com and when I changed to Bahamut, it redirects to http://bahamut.newgrounds.com), but that would cause a lot of mess if people changed names and took other names all the time.

[ BBS Möd ] - [ Facebook - Twitter ]
Formerly Bahamut

eggatron
eggatron
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 07:12:14 Reply

The opt in idea seems to be the best one. If you opt in for a user page, your name then gets locked. All that would need is an aditional field in the db with a true or false value. That will mean that if you want to change your name, just don't sign up for a user page (sign up could be via the account options, much like the NG fan net is, but whether or not you can unregister is a whole new topic). Should keep everyone happy. Not sure about the suggested "border" wihtin profiles though. A simple link to the NG user page under the username would be easier and better in my opinion.

The idea of display names is't a great one. That would lead to even more names being used and unavailable for new users. It's not really fair that anyone can have 2 names registered, it's hard enough to find a name that you like as it is.

If opting in isn't an option that will be considered, then I say just lock them. It's been, what, six years of name changes? A good run, but the site's changing and there's no point being nostalgic about features that have been abused so much.

BBS Signature
Ramirezoid
Ramirezoid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 07:20:13 Reply

Alot of people are going to die...slowly, at the thought of locked names.

Warn them.

<deleted>
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 07:21:21 Reply

I personally do not have a problem with this. I'm happy with my screename now after searching for many years.

Ramirezoid
Ramirezoid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 07:27:52 Reply

At 11/7/06 05:38 AM, mightyalrd wrote: Stuff

GENIUS CHRIST!!!!

lowercase
Cheddar79
Cheddar79
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 07:28:10 Reply

I think its ok to go ahead an lock the names. Personally it will help keep track of more users etc.

You certainly won't lose any newgrounds users just because names are locked down, the site is about MUCH more than that.

Laos101
Laos101
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 07:59:12 Reply

I didn't even know names could be changed, i just changed it before this post

i had a name i hated and still was a newgrounds member

goes to show username lockdown isnt the end of the world

just add a disclaimer so people know this is your perm name

Dry-Ice
Dry-Ice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 08:22:22 Reply

Myspace has a system where users who first sign up have a unique number at the end of their URL, then once they decide on something better, they can change it and there it will stay.

Maybe Newgrounds could do something like that, where individual Aliases are changable, but the URL always stays the same?

BBS Mod, PM me if you have something to report.

BBS Signature
luka
luka
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Filmmaker
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 08:25:04 Reply

I haven't even noticed that you can change your profile name so I don't really care about it being locked since my name is the same for 5 years straight. Go for it!

Bran-Man
Bran-Man
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 08:27:55 Reply

Why dont we have a user name and a display name? Thats how it works on WiiTogether. (in my sig)

You sign with the name that is used in your URL and the name that everyone sees is your Display name.

<3

Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Writer
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 09:09:17 Reply

At 11/6/06 08:26 PM, TomFulp wrote: The question is... Do we allow users to change their names at this point? If you change your name, you are essentially changing your URL, meaning all existing links to your page will become dead links.

Well, give every user an email to say "If you want to change your username, do it now!" and then say a deadline of 1 month before creating all of the URLs

The sacrifice of not being able to change our names is one I am willing to make to have such an awesome thing as my own little NG URL

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey
News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
ChromeShark
ChromeShark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 09:14:06 Reply

Hm I can't say I mind just yet, but I may wish to change my name in the future (as this is my third incarnation). I'd like that option to stay.

Maybe this has been suggested already (a LOT of posts to read through here) but could everyone have a separate Display Name and Username? The username could be used for the URL and logging in, and is permanent. The display name would be changeable and appears by submissions, BBS posts and such. Initially everyones display name and user name would be the same by default, but the Display name can be changed when the user wishes.

I think it would be a bad move to make names permanent because that would lead to many people having multiple accounts when then wish for a new name, which would get very confusing.

BBS Signature
amplefied
amplefied
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 09:16:27 Reply

To be honest I think it's better with a name lock down. People tend to change their username all the time, making it hard to recognize who's who.

Bigfoot3290
Bigfoot3290
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Animator
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 09:23:15 Reply

Sounds fine to me. Good luck with the redesign <3

citricsquid
citricsquid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 09:41:22 Reply

Great, i'm stuffed, i change my name every few days, ah well, I have this account, and My alts, Sam and Escape, so they will do.

It was inevitable this was going to happen, witht the new system, aslong as it improves newgrounds, i don;t care :P

ArabFreak
ArabFreak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 09:43:21 Reply

WHY?!

Why can't you just allow us to create our own user page domain names? For example, I can change my alias to whatever I want it to be while having a permanent domain name, like arabfreak.newgrounds.com

It's like MySpace. You can create your own Myspace.com/yourname address, but you can't change it. You should do that here.

Idocreating
Idocreating
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 09:53:58 Reply

The only problem i would have is if i wanted to join a crew or club like the Clock crew.

Wouldn't be able to change my name then. Unless a feature for crews was added in the user profile but i doubt that's gonna happen.

dus10
dus10
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 09:54:06 Reply

you should make it so only users with a lv 10 or higher can do that

"THE TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREE" JOHN 8:32

BBS Signature
Myst
Myst
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 09:56:00 Reply

At 11/6/06 08:26 PM, TomFulp wrote: The question is... Do we allow users to change their names at this point? If you change your name, you are essentially changing your URL, meaning all existing links to your page will become dead links.

I think it would be rather simple just to add another field in the sign-up form that would be the domain name wouldn't it ? It allows everyone to pick a domain name without losing the possibility to change their username.

The downsides of this idea is that it mean some users might be unable to use their own alias as a domain name (what if I decide suddently to get my domain name "Mindchamber" before the real Mindchamber does ?). It might lead to more abuse and problems than a username lockdown ...

Gamemeister128bit
Gamemeister128bit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 09:56:15 Reply

Couldn't you just have a redirect from the previous URL whenever an user changes his/her name?

BBS Signature
Malachy
Malachy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Melancholy
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 10:00:29 Reply

to tell you the truth tom, i liked the seperate smaller window which popped up with our account information and all that jazz, it made it easier to click on my account info and still be on the same pages in the BBS or Portal...though it's cool to have user pages, i'm interested in how you will run them, but perhaps doing what a number of other users have been suggesting with a changeable "display name" which will go down for forums and such like, like how myspace's works, but having the sit itself based on the account's original name or unique account number....I like being bale to change names, even if I dont do it much, and to tell the truth, what if the account name you want is taken, and you and wade do what you did this past couple of months with getting rid of unused accounts and names and opening them up again...people will be stuck with usernames they dont like, and as some other users have already mentioned, you grow out of it...this site basically has users who come around for years at a time.

though, I can't stop you from doing what you wish, and you did ask our opinion, and that is mine. I hope you take it to heart when you make your final decisions on the issue...not that usernames is all that important on a site that is for artists...it's just that they're something personal that makes the site more of a community then a clusterfuck of 13 year olds

¥ ¥ BBS, Review and Chat Mod - PM for help or to snitch! ¥ ¥
¥ ¥
Blag [updated: 4/20/2014] ¥ ¥

BBS Signature