Respond to this Topic
esko-man
esko-man
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 6th, 2006 @ 09:47 PM Reply

I don't know if anyone has suggested this yet, but perhaps make an automation to make the old user name site automaticaly redirect to the new page, until someone dicedes to use the old name...

Guardian
Guardian
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 6th, 2006 @ 09:50 PM Reply

It wouldn't really bother me, because I've had the same name since I first got this user ID. I've never seen the real reason to change it, other than changing the first letter from lower case to uppercase.

So shoot me, I'm boring...

Pain is irrelevant, there is only pain.

Narusegawa
Narusegawa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Movie Buff
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 6th, 2006 @ 09:52 PM Reply

Why do we even have to have user pages in the first place? THIS ISN'T GODDAMN MYSPACE!

~¥%¥%+oint##so soft ¤%% ++-%¥-~-^->

BBS Signature
TelaFerrum
TelaFerrum
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 6th, 2006 @ 09:53 PM Reply

I doubt I would need to change my name, but I think it's a great feature that you should try to keep if possible. On other sites, there are people who delete their accounts simply to change their user name, but Newgrounds gives users the flexibility of changing their names whenever they like.

What exactly worries you about the dead links? The problem would be when users themselves post links to their userpages on forums, reviews, author's comments, or other similar things. But if users can do that for other websites as well, and when those websites change the link becomes a dead link. It's to be expected whenever you allow user input on the site.

If you're worried about Newgrounds having problems when you make links to the user pages, that wouldn't be a problem. You already allow us to have signatures for forum posts, and whenever those area changed, they're changed across the entire site. You could do the same with user pages.

I reccomend putting a warning when people change their name though. Something like, WARNING: The URL of your user page will also change to match your new user name. If you have posted a link to your user page on the forums, in comments, your own personal site, or the like, these links will become un-functional. Maybe not a prompt though. That might annoy people.

Perhaps you could make user pages that have the user name in them optional, or make the user name user pages redirect to one that uses a number. It would give people a little more flexibility.

Good luck finding a solution to this dilemma, Tom.

cheesebizkit
cheesebizkit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 6th, 2006 @ 09:55 PM Reply

meh, whatever i dont ever change my name

BBS Signature
KupaMan
KupaMan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 6th, 2006 @ 09:56 PM Reply

Name changing on the drop of a dime has always been a kind of neat thing to do on NG, but it's really nothing that's worth it, and doesn't actually help in any way, especially if it's going to cause problems for the developement of the new system. I say go ahead with a lockdown. If anything, it will be missed for less than a month.

I suck.

HippyHoppyHobo
HippyHoppyHobo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Art Lover
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 6th, 2006 @ 09:58 PM Reply

At 11/6/06 08:29 PM, ZekeySpaceyIizard wrote: well tom its all up to you, i in my own opinion don't care, i like my name:D

You obviously don't reilize how much that is on his shoulders.

wooooooooooooo

Underload
Underload
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 6th, 2006 @ 10:00 PM Reply

im fine with it personally. and i think you should lockdown. give people a heads up a few days (weeks) before making the urls. its like a last change scramble.

Wii: Super Smash Bros. Brawl FC - 5413-2791-7953

Da Smash. | Youtube Channel

BBS Signature
SubKutz
SubKutz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 6th, 2006 @ 10:00 PM Reply

I've change my name once in 4 years. I think it was from -Subkutz-, so it doesn't really bother me.

Personal pages? I never knew about that.

Blaze
Blaze
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Programmer
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 6th, 2006 @ 10:01 PM Reply

Just tell me one thing please Tom.

Tell me this isn't becoming EmoGrounds and being like myspace. You won't let us customize our pages, right?

RIGHT :'(
Engalde
Engalde
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 6th, 2006 @ 10:01 PM Reply

hmm, well sometime in the future I might change my username. To my real name. Thats if I ever were to become a popular artist is only proffesional to let your fans know your real name right?

Unblock Newgrounds at school or work.

WadeFulp
WadeFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 30
Animator
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 6th, 2006 @ 10:05 PM Reply

I personally never cared for name changing. The only time I changed my name is when I went from NG Fan to NG employee. I decided to drop "RedDakota" (which was dumb anyway) and go with WadeFulp. I haven't changed since.

The problem with people who do change their name is, they always have alt accounts to hold their favorite name. So while they are using a different name there is another account (or accounts) hold their other names. Maybe if people couldn't change their name they wouldn't make alt accounts to hold their primary name while they use another. However, if someone doesn't like their name they will be forced to start a new account.

Name changes always makes our job more difficult, even when the mods do it. If someone is like "This Mod JoJoNuts banned me" I'm like "Who is JoJoNuts?" and then I look and no mods are called "JoJoNuts" and I'm at a loss. BTW, I just made up JoJoNuts. It will now become the greatest alias ever if someone decides to use it.

Follow me on Twitter! TWITTER
Be my Facebook friend! FACEBOOK
Google+ Profile

BBS Signature
orb
orb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 6th, 2006 @ 10:10 PM Reply

Why don't you just have the URLs done by number as well? like 510270.newgrounds.com instead of orb.newgrounds.com?

No more animated sigs. :(

BBS Signature
fudgefalcon
fudgefalcon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 6th, 2006 @ 10:12 PM Reply

i personnally wouldnt care. i love my name.

BBS Signature
Latecks
Latecks
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 6th, 2006 @ 10:13 PM Reply

Awww! I like username freedom!

Seriously, I like this name, but I'll probably get tired of it eventually. That happens with me. I'd still be LemonAxe if I hadn't gotten tired of that one.

NOTE: if you're not seeing the image like this in the forums, then it is because your browser is caching the image

BBS Signature
JoJoNuts
JoJoNuts
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 6th, 2006 @ 10:13 PM Reply

At 11/6/06 10:05 PM, WadeFulp wrote: BTW, I just made up JoJoNuts. It will now become the greatest alias ever if someone decides to use it.

Gotcha Wade.

The best alternative would be to use the method MuyBurrito posted about; this would make some people happy and no one angry. However, with username lockdown, some users are angry and some don't care.

TrueDarkness
TrueDarkness
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 6th, 2006 @ 10:14 PM Reply

Hmm... I don't think it's such a great idea. While there are those who don't care and say "Do what you can to make NG better!" or "Yeah, doesn't matter to me", there are still the people who say "Hmm, I think this alias is a little bit too dull and stupid, maybe I should make it more efficient and nicer"

It's pretty much half and half. So the choice is up to you. I personally don't see much of a point in having your own username page for NG, although it would be really neat to see done, and easy to view profiles. However..... if it's going to be so much of a hassle where you think people will panic over it, then why risk it?

I don't know enough coding of internet languages to be able to help, so I wouldn't know how to solve the dilemna.

Half and half. Either fix it or count up some votes. It's election day tomorrow ;p

AbsurdRandomness
AbsurdRandomness
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Writer
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 6th, 2006 @ 10:14 PM Reply

Trust me, I'll always love my screenname.

ENFP
7w6
If you understand what that means, you're cool.

Maus
Maus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 6th, 2006 @ 10:17 PM Reply

lol, what a coincidental topic!

It may sound odd, as I've changed my name temporarily, but I wouldn't oppose a username lockdown.

Just give us warning, so we don't get stuck with a weird name. :P

JoJoNuts
JoJoNuts
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 6th, 2006 @ 10:17 PM Reply

At 11/6/06 10:14 PM, C41um wrote:
At 11/6/06 10:05 PM, WadeFulp wrote: BTW, I just made up JoJoNuts. It will now become the greatest alias ever if someone decides to use it.
Damn, it was already registered in '04 :(

Heh, if you actually want it, I can change the alias back to Morgan-Webb.

JoS
JoS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 6th, 2006 @ 10:19 PM Reply

At 11/6/06 10:13 PM, JoJoNuts wrote:
Gotcha Wade.

That didnt take long.

I think user names shoudl be locked down. Really, does it make that big of a difference not being able to change names? Sure people will bitch and whine, but in the ned how many people will leave the site ebcause they lose the ability to chaneg their name for a week then chaneg it back.

Bellum omnium contra omnes

BBS Signature
Fluffington
Fluffington
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 6th, 2006 @ 10:24 PM Reply

I like my username.

You know what would be really neat? These things actually being noticeable.

BBS Signature
Tystarr
Tystarr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 6th, 2006 @ 10:26 PM Reply

I'm good..my name is already searchable on google..our usernames in the url will just b better 4 me. Viva la Newgrounds

If you're not reading Twisted Comix what is your life about?
I'm published on NG! Buy "One Shot"!

BBS Signature
Snype
Snype
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 6th, 2006 @ 10:27 PM Reply

At 11/6/06 08:28 PM, Dejanus wrote: I personally dont have a problem with it, I like my name and have only changed it as a temporary joke.

Same. Snype (or different versions of it) is practically my alias all over the Net. I love my name.

BBS Signature
Evan
Evan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 6th, 2006 @ 10:28 PM Reply

My name is my real name, so I'm perfectly content with it. Everyone knows me as this anyway.

Darkagentx
Darkagentx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 6th, 2006 @ 10:32 PM Reply

I'm good with my username; the only change I've ever made was capitalisation, which I won't be changing back.

Go for it.

Quebecboy
Quebecboy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 6th, 2006 @ 10:34 PM Reply

That's a problem for certain

example,if somebody want to become a clock,and he want to change his account name,what will he do to know that he is a clock now?

I love ya all!!

BBS Signature
ViolentAJ
ViolentAJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Game Developer
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 6th, 2006 @ 10:35 PM Reply

Maybe set up a time limit once per year or so for everyone that wants to change their names to do so. If they miss the time limit, then too bad for them.

That is, if you can automate the changing of the links...

"Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery"

Steve84
Steve84
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Gamer
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 6th, 2006 @ 10:35 PM Reply

Tom if my name is looked down I'll keep it forever id does not bother me on bit

Advent-Sinner
Advent-Sinner
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 6th, 2006 @ 10:36 PM Reply

Do you really need to put the usernames on lockdown? Maybe someone already suggested it, but couldn't you make the names variables that you can replace in that spot of the code that defines our user sites on Newgrounds? I'm not exactly sure what your whole 'code structure' looks like, but it seems that you could easily make the usernames (that are being used for the url of our profile sites) a variable that can be replaced and easily changed. I'm not claiming that it will fix the problem because who knows how your coding is done, but I think that would be quite the easy thing to do. Come on Tom, all that brain but nothing as simple as this resting in it? For shame.

skittles

BBS Signature