Respond to this Topic
RupeeClock
RupeeClock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Animator
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 12:11:25 Reply

At 11/7/06 06:17 AM, Wonchop wrote: I reccomend asking people like Channel Cat (creator of Sheezyart) about how to handle this kind of thing.
Also I see you're not dead. Always good.

You fell for that?

III-D
III-D
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 12:13:25 Reply

I wouldn't mind either way because I like my username but might change it in the future

Jovatov
Jovatov
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 12:14:25 Reply

Just have a 'username' and a 'nickname' a user name with the url (tomfulp.newgrounds.com|) and a nickname to use on the forums. IF you really want to change it that is.

mhb
mhb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Musician
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 12:25:35 Reply

just link the urls to the user id# instead of the name. it's just as easy to type in numbers and to link to 'em as well as letters. and if people don't like it then lock the names. i've had my username since i signed up here years ago on newgrounds and to me personally, the changin' of usernames is pointless and considerably childish. if a person doesn't have a name that they'd like to be known as on here permanently after bein' a member for awhile then they're probably to emo for themselves and need to get a life. sure it's a cool feature to be able to change your username on a whim but there's really no point too. hopefully i'm not the only one that feels this way. oh and tom if you need any maintenence or security people don't hesitate to pm me. i'll work at a very reasonable rate of pay. newgrounds deserves to be able to have everything that a big business deserves considering the fact that newgrounds.com is one of the biggest and mostg visited websites on the entire internet.

my youtube.
click it.

BBS Signature
N-Antichrist
N-Antichrist
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 12:48:43 Reply

At 11/7/06 04:44 AM, squeakytoad wrote:
At 11/7/06 04:34 AM, RupeeClock wrote:
That's fine for small artists who don't have anything worthwhile in their profiles dude, if we wanted a namechange on here, it would mean making a new account and abandoning flash, music, portal awards, exp, b/p points, forum posts and more.
My main point was, millions upon millions of DeviantART users suffice with only one unchangeable name. Why can't the NG users?

HE JUST EXPLAINED.

Deviantart is almost nothing like Newgrounds!

We NGers build up stats, and we like to be creative in what we do - sigs, profile pics, profiles, names.
Newgrounds has a good formula, you only have to take away a couple of minor features and it ruins everything.

dumbass.

I hardly ever come here anymore....

BBS Signature
SmegmaOnACheesycock
SmegmaOnACheesycock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 12:49:55 Reply

How about instead of making the url state their username, how about making it state the persons actual name, then in their page they can change their alias if they wish, but their name stays the same?

cheezychicken
cheezychicken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 12:50:59 Reply

now i would just like to point out that i only just grasped that but...
why dont you make it so that then you have your own unique number linked to ur account, not ur name so that then even if u change ur username ur account(ie:pms secrets etc)are kept the same as a link but all the other info is changed.

just a thought

and also to waste time lol :)

the line below is the truth
the line above is a lie
sig by jay11

BBS Signature
ZeroAsALimit
ZeroAsALimit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Melancholy
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 12:57:19 Reply

I'm actually quite happy about this, a lot of users change their names and it means that I lose track of which user is which quite easily.

Sic semper amicitia!!!
Ambient Music Club.
Sig by Illicit, thankies ^_^

BBS Signature
Black-Flame
Black-Flame
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 13:01:15 Reply

Well, I dont really mind the change to much seeing as I like my username but I wont like it forever and I'd still like to the chance to change it.

Gamertag: BlackFlameNG Xbox 360 Club
Gamerscore: 25,275- last updated 23/February/09
Steam ID: BlackFlameNG

BBS Signature
Mr-Eulogy
Mr-Eulogy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 13:02:55 Reply

Perhaps have a permanent username for purposes of userpage, e.g. mr-eulogy.newgrounds.com but also have an alias for Forum use that is attached to this account, but can be changed at will.

So I could be 'mr-eulogy.newgrounds.com' but have a little box where I can select my forum name, which would perhaps be the same by default or anything else if I so desired.

Fixed username, variable forum name! Thimple, thurely.

Narusegawa
Narusegawa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Movie Buff
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 13:09:35 Reply

I'm quite afraid of commitment.

~¥%¥%+oint##so soft ¤%% ++-%¥-~-^->

BBS Signature
yam
yam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 13:11:37 Reply

Do it.
No one needs a different username, It just confuses me.
Like a reg is JoJoNuts, then HardCock, And Im like WHO THE FUCK IS HARDCOCK
An there like JoJoNuts, And Im like no wai.
Then they change it to DoubleBrow, AND IM WTF LOL
Basically your username is what people no you by.

Russ3ll
Russ3ll
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Melancholy
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 13:21:12 Reply

I say go for the lockdown. It isn't really necesary for users to change their name.

IT WAS ALL A DREAM.
Thank you CagedSilhoutte for the sexy ass sig!

BBS Signature
blingboy09
blingboy09
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 13:36:36 Reply

what r ya talking about

disingenuous
disingenuous
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 13:41:02 Reply

i can see why people wouldn't want to have their name permanently, but i haven't changed mine in the past four years so it doesn't bother me either way.

looking good and dressing well is a necessity. having a purpose in life is not.

BBS Signature
cheezychicken
cheezychicken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 13:44:21 Reply

At 11/7/06 01:36 PM, blingboy09 wrote: what r ya talking about

this is quite clearly spam and a way or getting +1 post count

anyhoo either go with my plan (see page 9) or do a fixed name for the link and another for show that u can change...

ill go with the flow...

the line below is the truth
the line above is a lie
sig by jay11

BBS Signature
FGIJonC
FGIJonC
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Filmmaker
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 13:46:39 Reply

At 11/6/06 08:44 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 11/6/06 08:39 PM, MrMonopoly wrote: You should make it so the user must PM you to request an alias change.
Wouldn't that be wonderful. :)

When I first heard about teh name changes or whatever, I thought that is what you had to do. So, thats what I did and wondered why I had never got a reply back, haha. (prolly because of mass messages in inbox).

Hm...This is neat that we're going to have our own individual pages now. I must ask, are we still going to have the pop up profiles or not? Like, what if a username on the site is one that represents the creators of a project as a whole(TLG Media, etc) therefore meaning it'll just be a business page then? Like, on the page could they have it where it'll link to their individual profiles if they have them? You click a name, and a popup profile page opens?

Also, what if someone just creates audio for the audio portal and doesn't make flash animations or games. Would their page look different than others? Would that have a player that would sample their creations? Would flash animators be able to put in an html tag that'll have a streaming player with their flash movie(s) on it? Same with those who solely create games. What if someone just programs for people and stuff, would they have a "special" page also?

I'm not saying all that stuff, as if its going to be another Myspace or some crap. In fact, I know it wont be myspace for sure, Newgrounds doesn't crash like every ten minutes - /sarcasm - like Myspace does. Those of Newgrounds actually know how to keep a high traffic site up kept.

I say you should make username locking. It'll eliminate a lot of hassle, and if users don't like it, well I think they'll get over it. They should understand that you're adding the new features for them/us anyway and that'll it will make the experience better in the long run.

Hi I'm Jon.

thefjk
thefjk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 14:04:38 Reply

K.... first of all I wanna say... GO FOR IT! Its an utter waste of time to rename your account, I mean whats the point?

If we're gonna get something better for it, then I dont see the problem!

Cybex
Cybex
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 14:31:16 Reply

Isn't it possible to make the actual user URLs be userID.newgrounds.com (eg 3774859.newgrounds.com), which will be permenant, and then have re-directs. Eg, if the user 000001 has the alias John, then john.newgrounds.com will be redirected to 000001.newgrounds.com (By redirect, i mean, so that it displays 000001.newgrounds.com, but the URL displayed at the top still sayd john.newgrounds.com.

Alternitively, how about you can change your alias, but your URL doesn't change with it. It just remains the same as what it was at the turnover. Although that may get confusing.

I wouldn't mind never being able to change my alias. People would get used to it. I didn't even know it was possible to change my alias for the first few months of my NG life.

Surely it's possible to make the links change to fit the alias as the alias changes though? I'm not great with PHP, but their must be a function which retrieves the URL of the current page. Would it not be possible to use PHP to base all links on the part of the URL, rather than the username.

So if it's john.newgrounds.com, you create a string which is the john part using some function which can get the URL, and then in all links, where you would usually have john, replace it with $name, or whatever the vairable is.

Possible?

MarcusRaven
MarcusRaven
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 14:38:09 Reply

At 11/6/06 08:26 PM, TomFulp wrote: We've been faced with a dilemma for a while now that doesn't have any great solution. With the eventual introduction of user pages, user URLs will become much more prominent destinations. For example, I'm hoping lots of people will check out tomfulp.newgrounds.com once it comes into existence. :)

The question is... Do we allow users to change their names at this point? If you change your name, you are essentially changing your URL, meaning all existing links to your page will become dead links.

It has never been a problem in the past because the profile URL is based on your unique ID #. Since user pages will be tied to your name, the only option is to make your name a permanent identifier, otherwise users could create dead links at will and it would make the site a lot less organized over time.

I get this bad feeling that people will totally freak out at the thought of not being able to change their names. Plenty of sites already don't allow you to change your name, but people are accustomed to the option here on NG. Then again, are name changes really necessary or is it a feature that people abuse in the first place?

Consider this post a sort of heads up... There's a chance your name might go on lockdown, so be sure it's the name you want to have. This is also a chance for everyone to share their opinions concerning this course of action. Go for it.

I don't know if this had been said yet, but make it like this: Username is the name that defines the URL, and Display Name is what the author is displayed as. So if my user name is MarcusRaven, and I decide for my display name to be something else, the username stays the same, but all my author listings will be what i want. (Like my real name or something.) That way people still have the option to change their auther name.

Time is priceless, waste it wisely...

DigDugz
DigDugz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 14:39:54 Reply

For gods sake tom, don't do it!

DigDugz, fighting communism and idiocy since 1991.
Sig By ExtraTim.

BBS Signature
thelordofcheese
thelordofcheese
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 14:41:25 Reply

Hey, you could always do this:
1) Give a URL for a username
2) If a username is changed it would metaredirect (if you are using SSI) or URL forward (could be done with PHP or the like) to the new username
3) If an old username [that redirects to a new username] is reestablished (by the old user or a new user) then it would point to the current user instead of redirecting

I know that might be a little intensive, and who knows what it would do to a serverload. Of coarse, if a username was reestablished to a new user then the link to that page would be out of context and irrelevant.

Of course, having a userpage like the current profiles (except ID# as the prefix instead of the folder) or even a larger page version of the current profiles are also options.

I think having the option to change your name while retaining your account is an attractive ability.

Loki
Loki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Writer
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 14:52:48 Reply

I always have had the same username so it's not really a problem for me... But I like seeing people change their names time by time and it'd be sad if this feature was lost :(

Maybe a dead link moderator would do the job?

Loki
Loki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Writer
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 14:53:59 Reply

At 11/7/06 02:52 PM, FBIpolux wrote: I always have had the same username so it's not really a problem for me... But I like seeing people change their names time by time and it'd be sad if this feature was lost :(

Maybe a dead link moderator would do the job?

And an actually cool down on the username change (a couple of days) so you can't spam Newgrounds by changing your username and making new URLs...

Sorry for double post :(

Patcoola
Patcoola
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Animator
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 15:10:05 Reply

By users page you mean some sort of enhanced pubic profile or like a myspace or something?
Or Is it like a my yahoo homepage?

thats great but you have to options:
1. user ID numbers as URLS
2. only provide users the option to have a users page by activation, which the user most agree that the user may not be able to change there users name from that point on.

Sirockalot
Sirockalot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 15:10:29 Reply

I like my name, but it does feel constricting, not being able to change your name. I have a feeling that this will create a lot more alts here at NG.

Pre.Crew.Club - Get help making a club or crew.
Un.fr.gv.bl
Not really around much anymore

BBS Signature
SideWalker
SideWalker
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 15:11:48 Reply

I can't see it becoming a serious problem, i mean they can ask you if they are really really desprate to change their names!

BBS Signature
Sirockalot
Sirockalot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 15:14:26 Reply

I saw people bringing up the idea of broken-link mods, and I think that is a good idea. I would volunteer for it, seeing how much it would help, and still allow people to change their aliases.

Pre.Crew.Club - Get help making a club or crew.
Un.fr.gv.bl
Not really around much anymore

BBS Signature
Fire
Fire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Programmer
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 15:22:42 Reply

Why don't you just redirect the old names to a single user page URL with your ID.

Example:

http://www.newgrounds.com/users/page.php?id=1 234567 will be the link to you user page

Your current username will redirect to your user page
http://fire.newgrounds.com

If you change your name, your old name will still redirect to your new page until someone takes your old name. At that point, a message would appear at the top of the new user's profile with the message "One other person has used this name in the past. For his new username, please go here."

That should solve it.

Stealth-Emergence
Stealth-Emergence
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 15:41:02 Reply

Well I'm happy with my username Stealth-Annihilator and I won't be too pissed if I get locked down with that, I may one day wish to change my name, but it's no biggie to me

I'm wondering like others have suggested about, still keeping the ability to change usenames at will, and link to a page with a number instead, so that way if people want to check out your profile page, then they can either click wherever they see your username listed (username becoming a link to profile page) or people can just perform a search for a particular username, and then click from the list of names that get displayed

Though Tom would it not be possible to have 2 names stored in 2 fields of the database, one of which being changeable, whilst the other one perhaps becoming the key field in that database and remaining the same

either way I'm not fussed if a lockdown does occur, but I love the fact that NG has the function there, unlike any other site

So do whatever is possible, I'm all for the evolution of Newgrounds

Audio Artists required for Charity Album: Read further information here The charity is Jambange

BBS Signature