PsychoGoldfish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 6th, 2006 @ 08:59 PM Reply

what about having a display name and a user name

the user name is what you log in with, the display name is what appears in the bbs, portal, profile, etc.... kinda like an addition to your 'real name' and no need for formatting restrictions.

When first implemented you could just make all the default values equal to the username.

Arch-Angel likes this sig!

BBS Signature
Heinrich
Heinrich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Movie Buff
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 6th, 2006 @ 09:00 PM Reply

At 11/6/06 08:26 PM, TomFulp wrote: Consider this post a sort of heads up... There's a chance your name might go on lockdown, so be sure it's the name you want to have. This is also a chance for everyone to share their opinions concerning this course of action. Go for it.

Well, if that's going to be the case then I better hurry up and decide whether to change my alias or not.

BBS Signature
Doodler
Doodler
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 6th, 2006 @ 09:01 PM Reply

At 11/6/06 08:46 PM, OldGust wrote: Have two names, a user name and a display name:

username.newgrounds.com
www.newgrounds.com/?target=displayname

That seems like the most logical solution to me...

TommyGun
TommyGun
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 6th, 2006 @ 09:02 PM Reply

if this were like myspace, couldn't my page be like "clickingheremakesyouafaggot.newgrounds.com"
then have my username for flash submissions and etc interchangable

"It isn't that democrats are ignorant. Far from it. it's just that they know so much that just isn't so"
Ronald Reagan
Proud supporter of the Dinosaur Conspiracy Theory

BBS Signature
Ryan
Ryan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 51
Voice Actor
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 6th, 2006 @ 09:04 PM Reply

Well I wouldn't have a problem with it seeing as I love my username. Maybe people would have to ask you to change it for them?

DavidOrr
DavidOrr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Musician
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 6th, 2006 @ 09:04 PM Reply

I think the best option is to use a similar method that some sites (Myspace for one) use. Have a changeable display name people use on the forums and such, and then have a userpage url that has the user's id in it (849127.newgrounds.com, or the like). I don't see why it's really necessary to have the user name in the url. If someone knows of a user and wants to find their page, they could simply search for them under a user search, much like the title and author search already on the site.

I think this method would take the best of both worlds, and keep everyone happy.

BBS Signature
SilentSoldier
SilentSoldier
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 6th, 2006 @ 09:05 PM Reply

I personally don't really mind it... Yet I do enjoy my account freedom!!!

My tax dollars go to pay for a war that I and most of America dont even want. Yet I can't even afford Health insurance for my family. Hmmm..... Sig Pic by madknt

BBS Signature
Frenzy
Frenzy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 6th, 2006 @ 09:05 PM Reply

Hmm... that sounds like a problem. Maybe we could make it so that the URL has to beupdated to by the user ofif they want to change their name...

blingboy09
blingboy09
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 6th, 2006 @ 09:07 PM Reply

what are you guyz talking about im new here.

InsulinpumpClock
InsulinpumpClock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 6th, 2006 @ 09:10 PM Reply

Forgive me if this has already been mentioned. I'm to lazy to read through all of this.

Anyway this doesn't effect me cause I like the names on my accounts but just a suggestion, maybe allow users the abbility to change their names up unto the point in which they decide to create this umm special page/blog/feature mystery thing.

Heinrich
Heinrich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Movie Buff
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 6th, 2006 @ 09:11 PM Reply

At 11/6/06 09:07 PM, blingboy09 wrote: what are you guyz talking about im new here.

Generaly, we are discussing about wether we should be able to change our names or not.

BBS Signature
RyanKajito
RyanKajito
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 6th, 2006 @ 09:12 PM Reply

I honestly think it's good idea to not be able to change your name. Because I hate when people change their name and you're all the sudden like, "Where'd so-and-so go?" or, "Who's this guy with 10,000 posts that I've heard of," when there was only a name change.

Signature

BBS Signature
Jimtopia
Jimtopia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Animator
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 6th, 2006 @ 09:12 PM Reply

Cool, jimtopia.newgrounds.com, that rox.

Pyro
Pyro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 6th, 2006 @ 09:14 PM Reply

I have no problem. I'm fairly lucky to have "Pyro" and don't think I'll ever change it for fear of name squatters.

:)

BBS Signature
Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 6th, 2006 @ 09:15 PM Reply

lock it down, people will get over it. Its all in the name of growth, the site has to evolve just like any other site.

-L

None

• Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 6th, 2006 @ 09:16 PM Reply

hmm. I say perminant names. or having username and display name two different things...like already suggested. i think thats a deacent solution. But perminant if anything.

BBS Signature
EtchASketchClock
EtchASketchClock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Gamer
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 6th, 2006 @ 09:19 PM Reply

At 11/6/06 08:44 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 11/6/06 08:39 PM, MrMonopoly wrote: You should make it so the user must PM you to request an alias change.
Wouldn't that be wonderful. :)

It isn't liek your PM box would be filled daily...
;)

That was a great post. Right Zach?

BBS Signature
GoryBlizzard
GoryBlizzard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 55
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 6th, 2006 @ 09:22 PM Reply

Considering that I've been using this username for years on all the sites I visit, I wouldn't be pissed if the ability to change our aliases gets taken away. A lot of people would be though, so it probably makes more sense to have our profile ID's in our URL as others have suggested.

'Cause you're feeding the fire within me...
Twitter | NYC Meet 2010 | NYC Meet 2011

BBS Signature
Fat-and-Proud
Fat-and-Proud
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 6th, 2006 @ 09:24 PM Reply

I've got no problem Tom. I'd say I'll be fat and proud for awhile.

scott28280
scott28280
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 6th, 2006 @ 09:26 PM Reply

Name changes arent essential, i have been a member since july 2004 and havent changed my name once, people sign up and choose a name and they should really keep that chosen name, i think a lockdown would make user locating easier too.

BBS Signature
POOPTURTLE
POOPTURTLE
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 6th, 2006 @ 09:27 PM Reply

At 11/6/06 08:26 PM, TomFulp wrote: I get this bad feeling that people will totally freak out at the thought of not being able to change their names.

What?? How do I changed name? (stupid meme ref, but serious)

FUCK THE CLOCK CREW
YIFF IN HELL FURFGAS YIFF IN HELL FURFGAS YIFF IN HELL FURFGAS YIFF IN HELL FURFGAS

DarkMana
DarkMana
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 6th, 2006 @ 09:28 PM Reply

I enjoy the freedom we get now, but I wouldn't die if I was locked to this username. Although, I really think profile URLs should use our user ID, as long as there was a user search.

Asus P5Q PRO, Intel E8400 @ 3.60 GHz, 4GB DDR2-1000, ATI HD4850

BBS Signature
WarSyndicate
WarSyndicate
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Animator
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 6th, 2006 @ 09:28 PM Reply

What about redirects?
like joeschmoe.newgrounds.com(old) redirects to jayiscool.newgrounds.com, like how newgrounds.com/samurai redirects to its portal page?

Aksumka
Aksumka
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Melancholy
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 6th, 2006 @ 09:29 PM Reply

I was thinking about changing my name at one point. But I can't come up with anything better and I already have the domain registered. I know that's not a big deal, but still.

I was only concidering changing my name because it fails to reflect my life. Most user names don't have to worry about that, but mine is just one of those names that make people assume the wrong things.

|| AK || Play TF2 @ AK's ||
NG Archive - The Problems of the Past, Today!

BBS Signature
BleeBlap
BleeBlap
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 6th, 2006 @ 09:36 PM Reply

I think I have an idea for how to fix this (although I'm no expert on the matter). Do you dynamically generate the the user page every time it is accessed or is it saved as a static page after each time the user updates something? Would people update their pages more often or would people access them more often anyway?

If it's saved as a static page you could let the user create as many names with associated pages as they want without have to store them in a database. The only thing you would need stored is their username and id which are already there. The way I think it would work is in a comment or something in the static html page (or a seperate .txt with only the variables if each user has a folder with several pages) that the referer page check to see if it matches the current username associated with the id. If it does then it doesn't do anything, if it doesn't it deletes everything and replaces it with a header(Location: /path/correctUsername.html). Now if nobody takes the name it simply redirects to the correct one. If somebody takes the same name it will overwrite the redirect and old links will point to the new user, but there will be no broken links. I understand that this requires a certain amount of overhead, but as far as database intensity it's really just a single database query each time somebody accesses a username.newgrounds.com page which is minimal compared to the number of queries for the forum.

If they are dynamically generated each time then I'm pretty stumped. After writing this post and giving it some thought I'm pretty sure they must be or the pros would have figured this out. Oh well, it's all typed I'll post it anyway.

Blaze
Blaze
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Programmer
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 6th, 2006 @ 09:38 PM Reply

Isn't there a way to make the profiles be yourid.newgrounds.com, and then redirect the ID to your newgrounds' current name? It would be a bit messier, but it would still allow changing names and whatnot.

Most people (around the flash forum, thats all i can talk of) like to change their names for set seasons. EG. Christmas, Halloween, etc. And it would be rather sad if you took down the feature. :'(

Please take my idea into account.

Oqurw
Oqurw
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 6th, 2006 @ 09:39 PM Reply

Whoa... i never knew i could change my name in the first place... but hey that is a good idea i vote yes with tom on this.

a blown up guy (already?!)
Oqurw, I dont Make flash i just watch it

blueberrymuffin
blueberrymuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 6th, 2006 @ 09:41 PM Reply

At 11/6/06 08:29 PM, ZekeySpaceyIizard wrote: well tom its all up to you, i in my own opinion don't care, i like my name:D

me to

Lagatag
Lagatag
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 6th, 2006 @ 09:44 PM Reply

I'm fine with it, I've got my name.

bro at me come

BBS Signature