Respond to this Topic
Sanity-of-Insanity
Sanity-of-Insanity
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Artist
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-06 22:48:31 Reply

It is an all right idea I say even though I have changed my name so many times I think it may help out with the people who have that habit.

BBS Signature
scott8588
scott8588
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-06 22:50:25 Reply

I like my username and don't want to change it anyways. The problem you bring up is difficult, but another problem is if people copy somones name and ruin them that way. I've had that happen before in stick arena where a hacker changed his name to be like mine and was claiming I was the imposter (although his colour was yellow and I was red). The lockdown of a username will be helpfull to stop if somone who has many usernames then could blam or protect something by using all of their accounts.

Dopefish
Dopefish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 54
Reader
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-06 22:52:43 Reply

Hmm, wow uhh anyone who knows me should know this could be a problem. I've changed names so many times it's beyond ridiculous. Having a lockdown seems kind of unfair, but if it's REALLY necessary, then I guess I could deal with it. I do like the name I have, but I can't deny that there is at least one name I would rather have and was already denied for good reason.

In the end tho it's up to you Tom. People may bitch about a change, but if it's something that needs to be done, then so be it.

Have a lot of time on your hands? Want to help some starving children eat for free? Visit Free Rice and start playing today. Each correct answer donates 20 grains of rice!

BBS Signature
Brushfire22
Brushfire22
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-06 23:00:46 Reply

Lockdown the usernames if it will make things easier.

People will get over it.

Brushfire

SlipperyMooseCakes
SlipperyMooseCakes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-06 23:02:04 Reply

Why not make our pages with our User ID then?

like mine would be:

847924.newgrounds.com

But do what myspace does. Each use has an ID like "847924" but you can still cover it up and make it like www.myspace.com/ohsnapyourface instead of www.myspace.com/847924

Ya know?

Ethereal
Ethereal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-06 23:03:00 Reply

If you must.

I'm happy with my name, but when I first signed up, I was some queer "xmettalicax" shit.

I feel bad for those people who won't realize how awful their alias is, and get locked down into eternal faggotry.

Dopefish
Dopefish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 54
Reader
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-06 23:05:39 Reply

At 11/6/06 10:05 PM, WadeFulp wrote: I personally never cared for name changing. The only time I changed my name is when I went from NG Fan to NG employee. I decided to drop "RedDakota" (which was dumb anyway) and go with WadeFulp. I haven't changed since.

I've always wondered why your name isn't just Wade instead of WadeFulp, or why TomFulp isn't just Tom instead. It would look a lot better in my opinion.

Anyway, I like the idea that some have mentioned about having a set url name and a separate, changeable screen name. That may be a bit confusing, but it would solve the problem of name changing.

Have a lot of time on your hands? Want to help some starving children eat for free? Visit Free Rice and start playing today. Each correct answer donates 20 grains of rice!

BBS Signature
Latecks
Latecks
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-06 23:06:28 Reply

I still want to be able to change mine. :( Actually, I wanted to be just plain Rubber, but that was taken. -Rubber- would have looked pretty good, but the hyphen rules made that impossible. So I went with Rubberr for a short time, but then changed it to what it is now.

Still, I'd like to be able to change it for no reason whatsoever, should I come up with something brilliant and desperatly want to change.

NOTE: if you're not seeing the image like this in the forums, then it is because your browser is caching the image

BBS Signature
Rudy
Rudy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-06 23:10:29 Reply

here's what i gotta say..
Tom Fulp ate my kids...

BBS Signature
Earfetish
Earfetish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Melancholy
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-06 23:18:42 Reply

You could be stuck with your first url but still free to change your username.

AndersonCouncil
AndersonCouncil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-06 23:27:23 Reply

I'm for being able to not change your name. Remember people a lot easier. You should probably add a warning for when people sign up that this will be there permanent name forever (if you actually follow through)

"What is a joke exactly?"

BBS Signature
ViceFullbuster
ViceFullbuster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Melancholy
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-06 23:38:10 Reply

At 11/6/06 08:26 PM, TomFulp wrote:
I get this bad feeling that people will totally freak out at the thought of not being able to change their names. Plenty of sites already don't allow you to change your name, but people are accustomed to the option here on NG. Then again, are name changes really necessary or is it a feature that people abuse in the first place?

Perfect saying there Tom,never once i've seen a site where you could change your username and still have the account,i always thought it was cool but knew it could be easily abused.

If it's the best for Newgrounds then i'm all up for no more namechanging.

Consider this post a sort of heads up... There's a chance your name might go on lockdown, so be sure it's the name you want to have. This is also a chance for everyone to share their opinions concerning this course of action. Go for it.

Well i gave my two cents in but i'm probably gonna stick with the name i got since i'm not very creative.

NOW IS WHEN YOU RAM HAPPY WITH LIFE SAUCE. PSN Screenname - Mooglejoke Wii U Network ID - Mooglejoke - Nintendo 3DS Friend Code 4768-8871-1657

BBS Signature
BOZARTH187
BOZARTH187
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-06 23:39:50 Reply

Go ahead. I'm never gunna change my name.

Twerpo
Twerpo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-06 23:40:09 Reply

I don't think that many people change their name. After all, you can always make an alt if you want a different name.

BBS Signature
Fox
Fox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-06 23:55:33 Reply

I think the username lockdown will piss off users at first, but with time, they will be able to get used to it. Maybe users could have the option to change their username only once. after that, they will need to create a new account if they don't like their alias anymore.

</my two cents>

Sigs are overrated.

PaulStetich
PaulStetich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-06 23:58:52 Reply

Wait, what if one of us wants to hide, you know you pissed some people off and you want to hide by changing your name for a few days . . . just to get away from it all.

Personally I think you should leave it as is, but its up to you Tom.

SpeedMetalSandwich
SpeedMetalSandwich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 00:07:02 Reply

meh im not really phased by this i guess...

jmtb02
jmtb02
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Game Developer
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 00:11:33 Reply

Locking down names is probably a good idea. It makes so much more sense if people are quoting each other in the forums. If you go back into older posts, you'll find that half of the quoting doesn't make sense, because the names don't match up anymore.

Flexibilty compromised for consistancy may be a better idea.

Hi there!

BBS Signature
squeakytoad
squeakytoad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 00:17:36 Reply

squeakytoad.newgrounds.com would be awesome.
Numbers and crap would be kinda lame.
I'm fine with having the name locked down.

However, considering there are a few people who aren't, perhaps that display name and account name idea someone propsed earlier?

DariusR
DariusR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Animator
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 00:18:33 Reply

You could always make a seperate display name and a user url name. That way, people can still get their name changed, but have an original url, kinda like myspace

Kill a man, you're a murderer, kill many, you're a conqueror, kill 'em all, and you're a god!

BBS Signature
Leigh
Leigh
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 00:21:12 Reply

At 11/6/06 08:59 PM, PsychoGoldfish wrote: what about having a display name and a user name

the user name is what you log in with, the display name is what appears in the bbs, portal, profile, etc.... kinda like an addition to your 'real name' and no need for formatting restrictions.

When first implemented you could just make all the default values equal to the username.

UMM... I TOTALLY ALREADY SAID THAT, YOU'RE JUST COPYING ME

STOP IT GET YOUR OWN IDEAS JERK

Bluemidgetguy
Bluemidgetguy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 00:21:35 Reply

I think it's a great idea. Anyone who doesn't agree is a tool and a slimey piece of bloody vagina fart.

Miigga
Miigga
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 00:29:22 Reply

I don't know why people have such a hurry to change their names. I use this name everywhere and I am fine with it ;)

Engalde
Engalde
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 00:30:36 Reply

What about people with illegal characters in there names? Like * ( ) ^ &$% stuff like that don't work on uniform resource locators.

Unblock Newgrounds at school or work.

JoS
JoS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 00:33:18 Reply

The only problem I see with locking down urls but not BBS names is that if someoen signs up for an account using your url name (because you chanegd your username so its technically free) they cant get a url in their own name. Also that means if someoen wants to sign-up with your username, but that url is free then again theya re screwed. one accoutn is taking up two names.

I say all or nothing.

Bellum omnium contra omnes

BBS Signature
Phantom
Phantom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 00:33:56 Reply

I've been meaning to have "Phantom" ever since I signed up in 2004, but it was always taken, until you lent a helping hand of course. So I personally wouldn't mind the user name lockdown but it could upset other users, because changing the user name in a specific way is a tradition like the muffin club...I'm positive some users will be against it, but I'm not since I look out for myself, and I'm doing just fine.

Elite Guard Barracks Former 3IC
NG Dept. of Defense Chief Sup. Commander/Ball buster.
I live in Israel:...Whooptie-fucking-doo.

BBS Signature
Lost-Thought
Lost-Thought
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 00:34:35 Reply

well i like my name and i doubt i will change it again

Did you just put your balls on my sandwich?
Metal Hell

BBS Signature
JDTV
JDTV
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 00:36:21 Reply

Just a suggestion, I don't know if it has already been said:

Many other forums have a custom text above user avatars which users can edit. Maybe have usernames unchangeable and this small text customisable to users.

In my opinion the idea above seems pretty useless, but hey, it's a compromise.

alexsmolik
alexsmolik
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 01:17:45 Reply

Don't take my nickname away from me, Tom !! :(
So yeah... mine has been, is, and will be the same. For ever.

I play lottery. I always lose.
LOOK at my CAR VIDEOS on YouTUBE !!

BBS Signature
ShortMonkey
ShortMonkey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 01:23:30 Reply

Hmm... the user ID is a good idea, but so is the link idea.

Hmmm:

shortmonkey.newgrounds.com

Ok, if someone was looking for a username, they just type in

tomfulp.newgrounds.com

But they could just use the search bar with the flash author search, or post author search. If they're not on either, they just do nothing on NG.

I VOTE FOR USER ID NUMBERS

BBS Signature