Respond to this Topic
cicla
cicla
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 8th, 2006 @ 07:38 AM Reply

maybe you can lock down the personal names and not the user names. like my name is eduardo but my user name is cicla, so whatever nick i pick my link will always be eduardo.newgrounds.com and if theres another eduardo them it can get a number like eduardo123.newgrounds.com

JohnnyWang
JohnnyWang
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 8th, 2006 @ 09:35 AM Reply

Thanks for the heads up. This means return to my old username.

I don't take revenue from my profile.
TV Tropes Wiki

BBS Signature
JohnnyWang
JohnnyWang
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 8th, 2006 @ 09:37 AM Reply

At 11/8/06 03:10 AM, Error wrote: Newgrounds is a site based solely on undiscovered flash authors been given the chance to showcase their flash to a web audience of thousands, you're wanting to turn it into some kind of fucked up myspace dude.

You do realise that MySpace has lead to the rise to mainstream of many artists/bands, Arctic Monkeys, for one.

I don't take revenue from my profile.
TV Tropes Wiki

BBS Signature
RayRay28576
RayRay28576
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 8th, 2006 @ 09:58 AM Reply

Go for it. Sounds fine to me. Also, I never understood why people would want to change their names in the first place. Don't make no sense.

Quickbeam
Quickbeam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 8th, 2006 @ 10:54 AM Reply

At 11/8/06 09:58 AM, RayRay28576 wrote: Go for it. Sounds fine to me. Also, I never understood why people would want to change their names in the first place. Don't make no sense.

Because people want to commit to a special ocassion. Like their birthday, christmas time, easter, to join a club of some sort and sometimes just because they grow out of their username. When i first started on newgrounds my name was: 0ne_Eye_Blind. It was a shit name i know but at that time i thought it sounded pretty cool. But then 2 months later i changed it to: Saint-Anger. Then 2 more months later i got bored with that and changed it to: Erroll. Then after 2 weeks it got bored with that and changed it to McFox. Then after 5 days i got bored with that and changed it to what it is now. So as you see i have a long history of name changing, but if they lockdown the names i would only ever like with the name 'Errol". But unfortunately it is taken. So if you could change my name to 'Errol' Tom then i will agree with the lockdown and be happy to help with it in any way i can.

phyconinja
phyconinja
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 8th, 2006 @ 11:13 AM Reply

At 11/8/06 07:38 AM, cicla wrote: maybe you can lock down the personal names and not the user names. like my name is eduardo but my user name is cicla, so whatever nick i pick my link will always be eduardo.newgrounds.com and if theres another eduardo them it can get a number like eduardo123.newgrounds.com

and what if your link would be john1795.newgrounds.com?
not a site I want!
and I personally wouldn't like that cuz I don't like my name. and I don't want people on the internett to know!

Fishslap
Fishslap
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 8th, 2006 @ 11:15 AM Reply

I'd much rather have the names changable, I think I'd rather the page URL as the individual ID # and you can change your name as much as you want.

CrustClock
CrustClock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 8th, 2006 @ 11:16 AM Reply

I personally don't have an issue with it either. My name has been permanent for a long time, if I ever grow sick of my alias (god forbid) then i'd probably just create a fresh account rather than keeping all my baggage. The userpages sound like a cool idea!

CrustClock
CrustClock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 8th, 2006 @ 11:17 AM Reply

At 11/8/06 11:15 AM, Fishslap wrote: I'd much rather have the names changable, I think I'd rather the page URL as the individual ID # and you can change your name as much as you want.

The problem with this being: "645322.newgrounds.com" doesn't exactey stick in the mind.

Fishslap
Fishslap
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 8th, 2006 @ 11:24 AM Reply

At 11/8/06 11:17 AM, CrustClock wrote:
At 11/8/06 11:15 AM, Fishslap wrote: I'd much rather have the names changable, I think I'd rather the page URL as the individual ID # and you can change your name as much as you want.
The problem with this being: "645322.newgrounds.com" doesn't exactey stick in the mind.

Mine would be 1305454.newgrounds.com, if my sources are correct. I could live with that; all I have to do to reach it is bookmark it, or login and click on a button that'll probably be put on the site. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to remember it too, and anyway, it's only the url.

liam
liam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 8th, 2006 @ 11:58 AM Reply

On the forum you could have a command like '<a href="@myarea">Come to my area!</a>' and that links to the users homepage dynamically (rather than when the post is submitted as would be easiest). All links to the users home page not linked to from here are their own responsibility.. tough shit if they can't keep track of it ;)

Sup, bitches :)

BBS Signature
NemoX
NemoX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 8th, 2006 @ 12:26 PM Reply

At 11/8/06 03:10 AM, Error wrote: I personally think this whole idea is stupid.

Newgrounds is a site based solely on undiscovered flash authors been given the chance to showcase their flash to a web audience of thousands, you're wanting to turn it into some kind of fucked up myspace dude.

Newgrounds is original, that's why it prospered, myspace was also original, i just think this idea of users having their personal spaces is kind of stupid and defeats the point of ng.

Having this system can actually be beneficial for flash artists. You can look at their profiles, previous works, expanded or more detailed comments about their flashes. Kind of like the profiles at ocremixes, you have author's submissions, and a profile page to know them more in depth.

EvilAnimator
EvilAnimator
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Animator
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 8th, 2006 @ 01:16 PM Reply

I like my username, and if anyone doesnt like theres, why the hell would you put it to that. Thats there problem.

BurningRiverStudio
BurningRiverStudio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Programmer
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 8th, 2006 @ 01:18 PM Reply

At 11/7/06 09:55 PM, liljim wrote:
Let's not forget what a user page is supposed to be. It's supposed to be a user's page.

Questions: Does this pending user's page replace the personal profile page that currently
exists? If it's something that is in addition to the personal profile page, will users have the
option of *not* having a personalized user's page here on NG, or is it going to be some
sort of auto-generated boiler-plate page which users can later modify?

If folks have the option of holding off on creating a user page until they're comfortable
with locking themselves into a particular nym/URL that might be a good thing. Also, folks
with a net presence elsewhere might not particularly want yet-another-page-to-maintain
here at NG.

You're right that names have a stickiness to them and that people are slow to learn to
associate new names with people, and certainly it's in the interests of the popular artist to
keep the name he/she is best known by, but for folks who have a fan base that can be
counted on one hand with some digits left over (like me), i would think it better to have the
option of re-making one's own image. People also tend to expect certain things from artists
based on their names, so sometimes being able to change the name helps the potentially
interested audience find the flash it would be interested in watching/playing with.

"They are an inquisitive race, always anxious to pry into other mens' lives, but never ready to correct their own." -Augustine of Hippo

BBS Signature
Nikelt
Nikelt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 8th, 2006 @ 02:21 PM Reply

WRONG !!!!

Flashweaver
Flashweaver
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 8th, 2006 @ 02:27 PM Reply

This website is already one of the most advanced thing I've ever seen. I'm sure you can find a way to the links "remember" the page it's linked to so it canautomatically adjust itself, should the page URL change.

wesdood
wesdood
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 8th, 2006 @ 02:37 PM Reply

we should be able to choose them, but they stay permanant.

BobbyJenkins
BobbyJenkins
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Musician
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 8th, 2006 @ 03:31 PM Reply

To be honest I was never sure why we were allowed to change names in the first place. It just confuses me.

BBS Signature
NorthDakota
NorthDakota
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 8th, 2006 @ 03:34 PM Reply

I dunno... I don't like it...

sup

ScrunchMuppet
ScrunchMuppet
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 8th, 2006 @ 03:54 PM Reply

Being a member since 2001, I've never changed my user name and only considered it for the first time last week. Figures that his feature is being revoked at roughly the same time as I'm thinking about using it.

SenorPresidente
SenorPresidente
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 8th, 2006 @ 04:07 PM Reply

i strongly am against this

BBS Signature
TheScyth
TheScyth
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 8th, 2006 @ 04:08 PM Reply

I'm not about to read all of the posts here, so this might of already been suggested...
It seems quite simple to me. There are many sollutions to this that I see. Here they are:

1. Let them change their name, but worn them to change all of their links to fit their user name.
2. Have the members choose a specific ID for the first part of their URL, not having it as their user name.
3. Make it where all NewGrounds users have an ID handle, then a display handle (Like a nickname...)

Well, those are my 3 suggestions. Hope I was of some help.

ArabFreak
ArabFreak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 8th, 2006 @ 04:22 PM Reply

Seriously though, I think you're lessening the freedom every user has with hopes of making up for it with something that doesn't look too appealing.

First the underscores and dashes, and now this. What next?

Del-Toro
Del-Toro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 8th, 2006 @ 05:33 PM Reply

The only fair answer is to set a deadline for people to change their names, after that, the names will be Permanent, with no ability to change, but the ability to make several accounts on one email address, therefore allowing someone to use a different allias while abandoning the old one. The other choice is to keep a list of all the aliases for each profile, but then you would likely have to hire a whole new staff just for record keeping.

"Your job is not do die for your country, your job is to see to it that the other son of a bitch dies for HIS country" -General George S. Patton

BBS Signature
Tonkpils666
Tonkpils666
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 8th, 2006 @ 05:42 PM Reply

It doesnt really bother me i have had this name for a while and i plan on keeping it

Grim-The-Unholy
Grim-The-Unholy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 8th, 2006 @ 06:22 PM Reply

Hey,

At 11/8/06 01:16 PM, EvilAnimator wrote: I like my username, and if anyone doesnt like theres, why the hell would you put it to that. Thats there problem.

Yeah, well when i first joined, i was Knux (short for knuckles), and i thought that was pretty neat, but soon after my internet name became The Grim Reaper®™©, so i changed my name to Grim-The-Unholy, and Grim and The-Grim-Reaper were not available. i'm sure that most people want to change their usernames sometimes... you that don't and feel you never will, you might just discover a better name , and then if it's locked down, you will be stuck with the one that you don't really want anymore. there's a good point to that, but i do like the idea of the login-name being different to the user-name, with mods having the ability to change people's login-names.
-Grim- \,,/

KKyuubi
KKyuubi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 8th, 2006 @ 06:46 PM Reply

I've got an idea:

We setup 2 usernames - the username (unchangable, used for urls, login and all that), and our changable Display Name (actually used for branding your account, could be perfect for Clocks and all that)

RULE 10 RULE 10 RULE 10 RULE 10 RULE 10 RULE 10 RULE 10 RULE 10 RULE 10 RULE 10 RULE 10 RULE 10

AngryFaic
AngryFaic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 8th, 2006 @ 07:25 PM Reply

I think the user pages are an awesome idea.

Keep the names permanent, I declare!

NickScott
NickScott
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Melancholy
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 8th, 2006 @ 08:02 PM Reply

Goodbye Newgrounds.

[ Soundcloud | HarryJarry.com | Last.fm | Kongregate | Real life? none]

BBS Signature
ZagmenO
ZagmenO
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Melancholy
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 8th, 2006 @ 08:03 PM Reply

HEY!!!!! CHECK IT OUT!!! If you type in tomfulp.newgrounds.com in the little bar thingy up top, it takes you straight to the main site! I even tried it with my username and it works too!!! Try it out.

KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLER!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I laugh at your sigs!