00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Jmurr12 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Username Lockdown?

50,472 Views | 404 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-10 14:19:10

I say go ahead. I mean, why not?

Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-10 14:28:49

YEA!!! The more I think about it, the cooler it sounds. It could be like a myspace account except better!

I laugh at your sigs!

Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-11 00:33:30

At 11/10/06 01:29 PM, palindration wrote: My name is my name.

I like it, so I have no problemo if you do have the lockdown or not.

I'd agree. I mean, who'd come up with a user name they don't like and register it? If somebody did, it makes no sense to me.

I"m really not on the forums enough too have a good signature. Bonus points may be awarded to those who find the typo in the previous sentence.

Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-11 12:16:28

i have changed it once a year or maybe months ago so is this going to stop happening anytime soon or has it been fixed as of yet?

Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-11 19:50:26

If someone signs up with a username they later don’t like, they will make a new account with the new name they want. Meaning loads of account that no one will ever use again.

See what I am getting at?

Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-11 23:23:12

Change our names since when. i've never thought of the idea. although making them unchangable is a great idea

Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-12 02:04:00

I've have changed my name about five or six times already and Ithink I'll keep this name since its one of my online names, but to be honest I really think you should keep the name changing thing here on newgrounds. Come on Tom, having it is what makes newgrounds unique and popular sometimes, besides what people might not like their original user names and what to change it?

Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-12 11:27:15

Go for lockdown, changing their names is something that in more cases than not, is abused here.
Besides, why would you need to change your username? All the good flash createors stick with their origional name anyways.

Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-12 13:43:19

What you should do is:
Have to fields, one for Username, and one for Display Name.
Make the UserName, permanent, and what you login with, this is what your custom page will be linked as.
Then the display name, what everyone sees you as, on the forums and stuff. This will be changable.

Hope you read this, may take a lot of coding though.

Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-12 13:52:09

Whatever happens... well, happens. I like my username just fine.

Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-12 15:53:21

wow it does sound like a dilema that is bad right?

Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-12 20:40:52

Just lock the names, I've yet to see anyone list a reason for having to have name changes other than "I like to be contrary/idiotic at times" which is fair too insignificant a reason to base userpages around IDs that no one remembers versus a superior scheme that actually has rememberable value for most people (the names themselves). Make them choose something and stick with it.

Chrono Trigger Unglued - A Flash Retelling of Chrono Trigger that knows just how important your Ether is.

Work-Study - Squirrel Armies, Code Red, Elite Booze Agents, & More!

Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-12 23:20:57

I don't really want to read all 15 pages of this so this may be a little redundant ( and possibly repetitive) but:

Why not have the user make thier page (with a perma-username) when they choose, so like have a link in your account options that explains it all and that after it is made you cannot change the URL.

This would also make it so people who dont use their accounts anymore dont have a page

Also, it would give people a chance to figure out a good name before making their page.

and what would you do about people who make tons of pages wiht different accounts and then never use them?
It seems like this would be a bigger problem with pages than with how they are now..

Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-13 17:00:32

I'm happy with my name.

Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-13 22:59:11

I have no problem with a username lockdown :)

BBS Signature

Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-14 06:22:03

There is a solution: Everyone can change ther nickname, but they can choose only ONCE ther homepage name... for example: voldy.newgrounds.com and it never change again... Simple and Easy

Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-14 14:32:09

lock em down good

like anyone who has any importance to this site wants to change there name now. legendaryfrog will always be legendaryfrog

Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-14 19:26:58

what?

Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-14 19:30:07

We have the option to change our names right now? wow, where have I Been...

Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-14 20:15:32

I personally don't care about changing my name, I like it.

Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-14 20:23:57

personally, I don't mind. what's the pint of changing names? just pick a name you like, and stick with it

Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-16 06:06:33

You can lock it down Tom. I had this name since day one, it's never changing.

BBS Signature

Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-17 00:09:07

At 11/10/06 09:25 AM, NinoGrounds wrote: My Solution:
1) Let users to change their Usernames.
2) URLs would be : username.newgrounds.com and #id.newgrounds,com

So if they change their username - the first url would be screwed, but the second one wouldn't be, since you can't change your ID.

For security reasons, I will swap my username to NinoGrounds, though.

My solution would be similar, but I would only have the user id number as the url. It'd be similar to how flashes are given a location; by number, not by name. Unless the flashes are also getting their own url. Couldn't a simple search feature be included to locate users?

Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-18 02:16:36

I dont have any problems with no being able to change my name and i think u should do what needs to be done for the good of the site. Some users might not like it but the will get over it.

Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-18 07:37:09

Simple, just have a "permanent" name and a "temporary" name. The permanent name is the one used for the profile site and the temporary can change at the users will, but should generally be the same as the permanent name to make it easier for people to remember your profile name.

Then people can change their temp name for certain occasions.

Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-18 13:10:19

so its gonna be like a myspace bonus?
tom ur a genius!

Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-21 01:33:13

You could just make it so they can change names, but the URL never changes. because, some people make up little production groups, pretend ones, like that they create, and need to change it.

I wont have to, but some people will. And if anyone joins like the Locks, or Clocks, or a gang of some sort, they will need to change the name to like MartinClock, etc. And I think you should be able to change it, as thats a unique thing about here, and one main thing on NG is, the amazing groups, which makes it unique also.

But its all up to the staff, in the long run.

Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-22 03:09:41

hmm
i was wondering
was mine the only account that got deleted?
my old username was X_x
and i had for the longest time
and then
poof

now that i tried to log in, its gone :[
can i have it back? </3

Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-22 03:17:01

There are so many complaints about deleted accounts now, email one of the webmasters, maybe there is a problem with the main server -.-

Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-23 09:25:32

At 11/22/06 03:09 AM, voLumez wrote: hmm
i was wondering
was mine the only account that got deleted?
my old username was X_x
and i had for the longest time
and then
poof

now that i tried to log in, its gone :[
can i have it back? </3

try X-x

GO BROWNS

GO BUCKS

AND GO EAGLES LMAO