Respond to this Topic
Killer-Ninja-Bunny
Killer-Ninja-Bunny
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 15:51:00 Reply

we should do it. if you arent willing to change the links, then GET OFF YOUR LAZY ASS AND GO FUCK A DOORKNOB!!

B1gR3dC4t
B1gR3dC4t
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 15:51:32 Reply

I don't care either way. Had this name since day one and don't plan on changing it in the future. So the change won't effect me.

DeviantART | Youtube
Check em out

JimmyWorld
JimmyWorld
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 15:57:28 Reply

i dont need to change my name and I dont really understand why u would want to change ur name it represents u on newgrounds unless ur AN ASS then I geuss that would be a dilema

EvilJesus
EvilJesus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 15:58:25 Reply

i like mine but im still not sure if i want to change, i might want to change but it wont bother me if you do a loakdown

I be down with Mozart mother fucker! I've been banging out jives since I was a dickworm
Slags and hoes.
Oh shit king kong what are you going

BBS Signature
donkeychum
donkeychum
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 16:29:36 Reply

fine with me. i will never change my name

Joe-Milionare
Joe-Milionare
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 16:35:12 Reply

joe-milionare.newgrounds.com that cool plus i luv my name!!!! :)

Username Lockdown?

GO BROWNS
GO BUCKS
AND GO EAGLES LMAO

Inglor
Inglor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 16:40:35 Reply

just do what other sites do and seperate usernames from names that appear

HeckXX
HeckXX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Musician
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 16:43:36 Reply

:This is also a chance for everyone to share their opinions concerning this course of action. Go for it.

I think it's a good idea. That way no one will make a shitty animation, then be like: 'OMG I'M KRINKELS/TOM/HECKXX LOLOL".

That-Is-Bull
That-Is-Bull
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 16:44:49 Reply

Have username.newgrounds.com redirect to userid.newgrounds.com?

BBS Signature
Rammer
Rammer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Programmer
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 17:07:49 Reply

At 11/7/06 04:44 PM, That-Is-Bull wrote: Have username.newgrounds.com redirect to userid.newgrounds.com?

that's what i was thinking. i have a simple ID to remember (537071. it rolls off the tongue nicely :P) but since not all IDs are easy to remember, especially for the newer users with more digits, i think that is the best idea.

either that, or the idea MuyBurrito suggested on the first page, to have an account name that your page is set to, and a display name that everyone else sees. but personally, i like the username -> userid dealio.

snyggys

Pilot-Doofy
Pilot-Doofy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Musician
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 17:19:55 Reply

Here is an excellent solution in my opinion. Allow users two options.

1. Select the URL matching your username (i.e. pilot-doofy.newgrounds.com)
2. Select another URL which DOESN'T EXIST AS A USERNAME (i.e. totallyrandomname.newgrounds.com)

In addition, make the URLs permanat like Myspace does. You cannot change them once you've selected, but you can still change your alias. For example, my display name on Myspace is "Dan - Ampfusion.com" but my url is still myspace.com/pilotdoofy.

KaynSlamdyke
KaynSlamdyke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Melancholy
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 17:20:11 Reply

At 11/7/06 05:07 PM, Rammer wrote: that's what i was thinking. i have a simple ID to remember (537071. it rolls off the tongue nicely :P) but since not all IDs are easy to remember, especially for the newer users with more digits, i think that is the best idea.

I personally think kaynslamdyke.newgrounds.com would be easier to remember than 892646.newgrounds.com... and redirects eat up bandwidth.

So long as I'm never forced to change User Names, I'm happy

BBS Signature
Rammer
Rammer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Programmer
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 17:23:32 Reply

At 11/7/06 05:20 PM, KaynSlamdyke wrote: I personally think kaynslamdyke.newgrounds.com would be easier to remember than 892646.newgrounds.com... and redirects eat up bandwidth.

maybe instead of redirecting, the php scripts could search the username database, grab the userid from the name given in the URL, and then get the data with a WHERE condition? i dunno if that'll be slow, or bandwidth consuming or not, though.

snyggys

Pilot-Doofy
Pilot-Doofy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Musician
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 17:23:35 Reply

At 11/7/06 04:44 PM, That-Is-Bull wrote: Have username.newgrounds.com redirect to userid.newgrounds.com?

That won't work. Suppose my user name is Pilot-Doofy, which of course it is. Normally, pilot-doofy.newgrounds.com would forward to 618472.newgrounds.com since that is my user ID.

Well, when I change my username (if I actually did) to DanLindsey and my URL changed to danlindsey.newgrounds.com then Pilot-Doofy or pilotdoofy.newgrounds.com would no longer exist in the database.

When it searches for the old URL (pilot-doofy.newgrounds.com) then it can't find a user with pilot-doofy as the user name. So no, that just runs us around in circles.

TSCom
TSCom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 17:37:35 Reply

Tom, you may be forgetting something very fundemental to web links. All you have to do is link to the page on your site without including the first part of the URL...

So, if you wanted to link to the "Info" page, you would just use "Text here" instead of including the beginning TSCom.newgrouns.com.

Thank you.

TSCom
TSCom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 17:39:41 Reply

Oh, sorry, just read that post again. I am mistaken.

Anyway, you should just abolish the name change feature. Having the same name makes the user more identifiable.

2k-rammerizkool
2k-rammerizkool
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 17:43:19 Reply

At 11/7/06 05:39 PM, TSCom wrote: Oh, sorry, just read that post again. I am mistaken.

Anyway, you should just abolish the name change feature. Having the same name makes the user more identifiable.

sometimes, we might not want to be identifiable. like Bizarro said on the first page, sometimes shit happens and you need to change your 'internet identity' to stop what's happening.

again, like Johnny said, we regs sometimes change our names to make them more holiday-ish.

taking away our ability to change our names would be a horrible idea \:

TSCom
TSCom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 17:48:57 Reply

I'm sure if enough people cared they could easily find out it is you. I doubt a name change will fool anyone who cares enough.

Icyflamez
Icyflamez
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 17:49:52 Reply

If you CAN change your name. Then say 'bob' changes his name to 'joe' then couldn't a sam then become joe? Think what could happen. Just thinking ahead.

Metal-Dart
Metal-Dart
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 17:50:50 Reply

Okay, it makes sence.

Your site, your rules.

TSCom
TSCom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 17:51:06 Reply

Exactly. Name changes are a nightmare.

Spectacle
Spectacle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 17:59:25 Reply

I like the unique ID thing. The big thing that makes newgrounds different to other forums is you can change your name. If you take that away then you take away a big thing about newgrounds. Also I never thought the spectacle.newgrounds.com thing was good anyway. I like the profiles how they are with unique IDs.

f

BBS Signature
2k-rammerizkool
2k-rammerizkool
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 18:02:57 Reply

At 11/7/06 05:59 PM, Spectacle wrote: I like the unique ID thing. The big thing that makes newgrounds different to other forums is you can change your name. If you take that away then you take away a big thing about newgrounds. Also I never thought the spectacle.newgrounds.com thing was good anyway. I like the profiles how they are with unique IDs.

says the guy whose ID is 1555558! :D

really though, i do like the IDs. maybe a way to have two ways to get to one's userpage? their id, and their current username?

like, rammer.newgrounds.com or 537071.newgrounds.com?

Lalo
Lalo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 17
Animator
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 18:09:15 Reply

At 11/6/06 08:35 PM, FIGMENTUM wrote:
At 11/6/06 08:31 PM, MuyBurrito wrote: Would it be possible to give users a "Display Name" that can be changed as the username is changed under the current system, while locking down an official "Account Name" which is tied directly to user pages?
Wouldn't it be simpler to have the users choose what their domain name would be, and keep everything else as is? Kinda like how myspace does it.

i totally agree with that idea, having the current alias change system and add this new URL system asking users to give a permanent name to their page.

i like that idea tom, and it doesnt have noticeable cons... so i think you should go with it

Novelty
Novelty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 18:18:14 Reply

People should just put more time when picking their usernames when they create their accounts. I know people taste and idea change, they should pick something that isn't influced by a fad they'll probably grow out. It's not a name that makes a great user, its what they do.

FatherTime89
FatherTime89
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 18:21:39 Reply

Here's something that comes from a different site that is almost abandoned now. It is pretty much what someone said before of having display names but with a twist, you have on permanent screenname which is used to display your profile you also have reserved names (and you can add more at any time) basically what this means is that at any point while browsing the forums or leaving reviews you can give yourself that name and that will be the dsiplayed name, basically its like having a list of aliases and sometimes people change their sigs whenever they change aliases to further give themselves new identities (kind of) however they can still beidentified by their post count.

eggatron
eggatron
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 18:24:22 Reply

At 11/7/06 12:08 PM, Archile wrote:
I'm ok with the lockdown, but what will the porr Tanner do? (I remember he used to change his alias 30 times a week)

Tanner's still alive?

BBS Signature
Reyals
Reyals
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 18:30:42 Reply

I like my name, and I changed it once after a year, cutting off "TheSlayer", so i don't mind.

But it's fun on Halloween to change it.

ReyalsTehYiffy.

Damn straight.

A Bedtime Tale | 1 | 2 | 3 |

BBS Signature
Ocelot
Ocelot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Writer
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 18:49:14 Reply

At 11/6/06 08:28 PM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote: I really really like my username freedom. To change it for special moments and such. Please don't take that away from me, Tom.

This is a big dilemna, but I agree with BananaBreadMuffin.

Another-Ryan
Another-Ryan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? 2006-11-07 18:59:48 Reply

I think that your URL name should stay constant while you still have the ability to change your username. I thnk that you should have to choose your URL during the process of setting up your profile.

BBS Signature