New Topic Respond to this Topic
positively-negative
positively-negative
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Reader
Post-Punk Appreciation Society Mar. 17th, 2008 @ 10:41 PM Reply

This is a crew developed for those who are fans of the Post-Punk musical genre (or direct spin-offs and relatives,) to come and discuss the music, or for those who may be interested in learning more about the genre to ask questions.

Basic information can be found here

RULESKIS:

1. Try to stay on the topic of post-punk or relative to post punk.

2. No flaming - Sure if you don't like a band, you can say you don't like them and why, but don't attack the person purely because your taste doesn't match his, because at the end of the day opinions are not facts.

3. If you are making a hypothetical claim, try to back it up with some form of evidence, be it factual or circumstantial.

4. If you are unsure of something, ask a question, not only will most people try to do their damnest to answer correctly, it could avoid potential embarassment. e.g. If you think a band is post punk but aren't sure, ask "is (insert band name here) post punk or not?"

5. Take someone's opinion seriously unless it is purely pathetic trolling. You are not the be all and end all of musical knowledge, comprehende?

Anyways, to join:

List your favourite post punk band and why.

Myself, I am an Echo and the Bunnymen guy. The talent of all four of the classic members (Ian McCulloch, Will Sergent, Les Pattinson and the late, great Pete de Frietas,) made songs like "The Killing Moon" (off their masterpiece album "Ocean Rain,) literally timeless and as beautiful today as back in the early 1980's.

ZeroAsALimit
ZeroAsALimit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Melancholy
Response to Post-Punk Appreciation Society Mar. 18th, 2008 @ 12:32 AM Reply

O dear.

My favourite Post-Punk band is Swans, due to the fact that I could relate to many of the songs and Michael Gira has an ear for beautiful arrangements.

Sadly, I bet you knew I was going to mention an Industrial band instead of my beloved Cure or Depeche Mode.

Sic semper amicitia!!!
Ambient Music Club.
Sig by Illicit, thankies ^_^

BBS Signature
positively-negative
positively-negative
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Reader
Response to Post-Punk Appreciation Society Mar. 18th, 2008 @ 04:03 AM Reply

At 3/18/08 12:32 AM, ZeroAsALimit wrote: Sadly, I bet you knew I was going to mention an Industrial band instead of my beloved Cure or Depeche Mode.

I suspected much, but since Swans have elements of Post Punk and you name dropped Smith and the gang and the Mode, I forgive you.

Lochie
Lochie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Response to Post-Punk Appreciation Society Mar. 18th, 2008 @ 05:19 AM Reply

Bloc Party. <3

asdfg

BBS Signature
positively-negative
positively-negative
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Reader
Response to Post-Punk Appreciation Society Mar. 18th, 2008 @ 05:32 AM Reply

At 3/18/08 05:19 AM, Night-Mare wrote: Bloc Party. <3

I also like whys. They are a good way to start discussion.

positively-negative
positively-negative
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Reader
Response to Post-Punk Appreciation Society Mar. 19th, 2008 @ 06:46 AM Reply

Right, membership drive time! We need a list of NG users who like Post-Punk and are cool, then this loveable society can grow.

GO!

Mr-Pope
Mr-Pope
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Post-Punk Appreciation Society Mar. 20th, 2008 @ 03:48 PM Reply

People should read Rip It Up And Start Again by Simon Reynolds, not only is it a treasure trove of info on post-punk but it's also one of THE great music books by the greatest music journalist of his generation.

positively-negative
positively-negative
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Reader
Response to Post-Punk Appreciation Society Mar. 20th, 2008 @ 11:28 PM Reply

At 3/20/08 03:48 PM, Mr-Pope wrote: People should read Rip It Up And Start Again by Simon Reynolds, not only is it a treasure trove of info on post-punk but it's also one of THE great music books by the greatest music journalist of his generation.

I will have a look for it in the Uni book store next time I'm there.

ZeroAsALimit
ZeroAsALimit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Melancholy
Response to Post-Punk Appreciation Society Mar. 21st, 2008 @ 10:12 AM Reply

At 3/20/08 02:25 PM, MickTheChampion wrote: I'm quite a big fan of post-punk, so you can count me in.

I love Joy Division, I like Echo & the Bunnymen and I've recently been getting into Public Image Ltd.

I see someone mentioned Bloc Party, who are fucking terrible in my opinion, but I suppose of this kind of "Post-punk Revival" thing the only band who have interested me are "Editors". Their debut album is definitely worth a listen.

I'm so-so with Bloc Party. I dislike many of their songs, but Banquet and Flux are like a hyperactive Wire given a tacky keyboard?

Public Image Ltd. are far better than The Sex Pistols and I'm very glad to see another listener. :)

People who like Post-Punk. Well, 0peth and Gendo love it. Heck, they tried to make a Goth club before. :)

Sic semper amicitia!!!
Ambient Music Club.

BBS Signature
ZeroAsALimit
ZeroAsALimit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Melancholy
Response to Post-Punk Appreciation Society Mar. 21st, 2008 @ 10:22 AM Reply

At 3/21/08 10:19 AM, MickTheChampion wrote: Debatable.

>:(

I nearly cracked someone for saying Joy Division and Echo & The Bunnymen were goth bands, none of that patter in here!

The term Goth was coined by Joy Divisions' manager to describe his band and many Goth groups did borrow from them and love them. It's a bit like the statement "The Stooges are a Punk band", for example.

Sic semper amicitia!!!
Ambient Music Club.

BBS Signature
ZeroAsALimit
ZeroAsALimit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Melancholy
Response to Post-Punk Appreciation Society Mar. 21st, 2008 @ 10:33 AM Reply

At 3/21/08 10:28 AM, MickTheChampion wrote:
At 3/21/08 10:22 AM, ZeroAsALimit wrote:
The term Goth was coined by Joy Divisions' manager to describe his band and many Goth groups did borrow from them and love them. It's a bit like the statement "The Stooges are a Punk band", for example.
Tony Wilson was a well educated cunt, the context he was using it in didn't mean he was creating the gothic rock genre, which Joy Division doesn't sound like at all.

Joy Division sounds similar to Sister Of Mercy. A Goth Rock band. Seriously, spin something like Day Of The Lords or Disorder. DOTL could be Bauhaus.

Even the baritone is often copied.

Sic semper amicitia!!!
Ambient Music Club.

BBS Signature
ZeroAsALimit
ZeroAsALimit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Melancholy
Response to Post-Punk Appreciation Society Mar. 21st, 2008 @ 10:52 AM Reply

At 3/21/08 10:37 AM, MickTheChampion wrote: Right. Then wouldn't it make sense to say that Sister of Mercy had a post-punk sound?

No, that would be gibberish, there is no defining sound of Post-Punk. Wire have nothing in common with Throbbing Gristle sonically.

I mean let's look at the musical direction New Order went in during the 80s, shall we? Lots of gothic rock there. Oh wait hang on, no there isn't.

That's because. Get this: they changed musical direction after Curtis killed himself.

A quote from allmusic.com "The godfathers of goth-rock were British post-punkers Joy Division, whose bleak, remote, obsessively introspective music and lyrics laid the initial foundation for goth". Gee, look at that.

Are you new to Post-Punk?

Sic semper amicitia!!!
Ambient Music Club.

BBS Signature
ZeroAsALimit
ZeroAsALimit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Melancholy
Response to Post-Punk Appreciation Society Mar. 21st, 2008 @ 12:25 PM Reply

At 3/21/08 11:03 AM, MickTheChampion wrote: I'd say that a defining sound of Post-Punk would be retaining musical elements of punk rock with more experimentation - which is why the movement spawned off many other genres, many of them being shit.

That's not a sound per se and you know it.

Well, get this. Although Ian Curtis was the lyricist for Joy Division, the music was written as a joint effort among all members of the band,

I know that, but once he died, they changed direction. Now I've heard people guess that due to the synth-bonk of Love Will Tear Us Apart, they would go on to Synth-Pop eventually.

YOu seem to imply that a band sticks to one style throughout their lifetime.

A quote from spunkbank.com "Just because they laid the foundation for an inferior genre of music doesn't make them a part of said genre, early gothic rock was tolerable but it eventually evolved into a pulsating pile of shite."
Gee, look at that.

Have you even fucking listened to a Joy Division CD and then a Bauhaus CD? There are sonic similarities. They ARE part of said genre.

Are you new to patronising people?

You started it, like you always do, with speaking down to me with your "point" about New Order.

If your point about New Order is correct (and it's just a gaping logical fallicy), then The Human League don't make Synth-Pop, because The Future sure as heck didn't.

Sic semper amicitia!!!
Ambient Music Club.

BBS Signature
ZeroAsALimit
ZeroAsALimit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Melancholy
Response to Post-Punk Appreciation Society Mar. 21st, 2008 @ 01:10 PM Reply

At 3/21/08 01:02 PM, MickTheChampion wrote: Oh for fuck's sake, let's nitpick until the cows come home then, shall we?

It's a huge difference, at least I think it is.

Okay, it's not a sound - it's an easily identifiable characteristic.

Yeah. Although Industrial fits uneasily into every deifnition of Post-Punk I've ever read, they were more inflenced by what journalists call Proto-Punk.

Well gee, you'd think that their biggest single and then the musical direction the band when it would all imply that, wouldn't you?

It matters not one iota, Unknown Pleasures sounds like a Goth Rock record.

Not really. Have you read something wrong?

No, you used New Order as an argument about Joy Division.

Joy Division are not a gothic rock band. You can say they are all you like, it doesn't make anymore true. Early music in the genre may have picked up on some features of Joy Division, but that doesn't mean Joy Division should be pidgeonholed in with a shitey genre that they're miles above.

No genre is shit, you just don't want to call them what they are because you think it an insult. By your standards, no-one ever has the right to call The Stooges a Punk band. The genre, early and late, lapped up Joy Division.

Oh man, you even put that into inverted commas, someone means business!

Because it wasn't a point.

I was only pointing out that Joy Division would've been more likely to experiment with different genres like New Order got around to doing - you can tell this with the massive difference between the early stuff they recorded as Warsaw and then the last things recorded prior to Curtis' death.

I don't doubt that. Most bands experiment and the difference between the Unknown Pleasures album and the Love Will Tear Us Apart single is huge.

Joy Division were not, and would not have become, just another gothic rock band. I don't care what you insist - you're not changing my opinion.

And you're not changing my opinion either, because they sounds just like many of the early Goth Rock bands.

Sic semper amicitia!!!
Ambient Music Club.

BBS Signature
positively-negative
positively-negative
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Reader
Response to Post-Punk Appreciation Society Mar. 21st, 2008 @ 09:53 PM Reply

At 3/21/08 10:29 AM, MickTheChampion wrote: Also, can we restart this club and not use the wee gay face? It really does my head in.

Hey, it was either that or the kissing one.

And you two are like Morrissey and Robert Smith with the way you are at each other.

positively-negative
positively-negative
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Reader
Response to Post-Punk Appreciation Society Mar. 22nd, 2008 @ 10:13 PM Reply

At 3/22/08 08:31 AM, MickTheChampion wrote: Can't we be cooler musicians?

Error: Cannot compute possibility of there being two cooler musicians.

positively-negative
positively-negative
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Reader
Response to Post-Punk Appreciation Society Mar. 23rd, 2008 @ 08:24 PM Reply

At 3/23/08 05:38 PM, MickTheChampion wrote: Robert Smith is kind of cool, but Morrissey is a massive fucking wanker. Fair enough, I like some of The Smiths tunes, but you couldn't pay me to take one of the cunts' solo albums.

Hmm.

*Looks at CD collection, sees five solo Morrissey albums, says nothing.*

ZeroAsALimit
ZeroAsALimit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Melancholy
Response to Post-Punk Appreciation Society Mar. 30th, 2008 @ 07:42 PM Reply

At 3/24/08 09:12 AM, MickTheChampion wrote:
At 3/23/08 08:24 PM, positively-negative wrote:
Hmm.

*Looks at CD collection, sees five solo Morrissey albums, says nothing.*
*Looks at CD collection... Why do I have an Aswad album?*

*Looks at CD collection*

Why DON'T I have an Aswad album or any Morrissey albums? Sure, I have a compilation with an Aswad song and a Morrissey single, but no albums. D=

Also: Can we talk about New Wave too, or is that a big no-no?

Sic semper amicitia!!!
Ambient Music Club.

BBS Signature
positively-negative
positively-negative
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Reader
Response to Post-Punk Appreciation Society Mar. 30th, 2008 @ 08:09 PM Reply

At 3/30/08 07:42 PM, ZeroAsALimit wrote: Why DON'T I have an Aswad album or any Morrissey albums? Sure, I have a compilation with an Aswad song and a Morrissey single, but no albums. D=

Morrissey albums are often very cheap. The one that was most expensive for me was "Ringleader of the Tormentors" and that is purely because it was released only the day before I got it.

Also: Can we talk about New Wave too, or is that a big no-no?

I don't mind, just as long as you can link it back to the broad genre of post punk in less than five steps.

ZeroAsALimit
ZeroAsALimit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Melancholy
Response to Post-Punk Appreciation Society Mar. 31st, 2008 @ 04:46 AM Reply

At 3/30/08 08:09 PM, positively-negative wrote: Morrissey albums are often very cheap. The one that was most expensive for me was "Ringleader of the Tormentors" and that is purely because it was released only the day before I got it.

Yeah, i can has no moneys though.

I don't mind, just as long as you can link it back to the broad genre of post punk in less than five steps.

Well I just figured that as the tag was stuck to the artier Punk bands. I mean, some Talking Heads discussioin wouldn't go amiss here I would think.

I don't tend to seperate Post-Punk and New Wave, but I guess I should, I mean, what's out there about Synth-Pop? :o

Sic semper amicitia!!!
Ambient Music Club.

BBS Signature
Kuro
Kuro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Post-Punk Appreciation Society Mar. 31st, 2008 @ 06:22 AM Reply

About the only post-punk band I listen to are Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, who have elements of post punk, supposedly.

I don't understand these 'post' genres.

Actually, I don't understand most genre names.

Kuro - Puting the 'Kur' back in 'inkurable disease.'

BBS Signature
positively-negative
positively-negative
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Reader
Response to Post-Punk Appreciation Society Apr. 1st, 2008 @ 06:14 AM Reply

At 3/31/08 04:46 AM, ZeroAsALimit wrote: I don't tend to seperate Post-Punk and New Wave, but I guess I should, I mean, what's out there about Synth-Pop? :o

Well, many popular music "historians" for want of a better word, consider Post-Punk a darker branch of New-Wave anyway so your non-differentiation is understandable. And really the only major difference other than that is basically most of the founding Post-Punk bands were British in origins whilst the New-Wave ones were American.

So thus through this I have come to the conclusion that New Wave is a perfectly allowable topic of discussion. That and the fact that I heard "Mexican Radio" by Wall of Voodoo being played on the radio for once.

And Kuro, once whilst me and some other musically knowledgable friends were drunk at a party we drew this epic tree diagram on the walls (note use of the plural,) of my mate's flat that explained all the major genre relative links when it came to popular music, pity the writing on it was barely legible and that none of us had a camera cause it would be a really useful as a tool.

ZeroAsALimit
ZeroAsALimit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Melancholy
Response to Post-Punk Appreciation Society Apr. 1st, 2008 @ 10:26 AM Reply

Spinning a live rendition of Vengence by new Model Army.

Also been spinnin' Foetus Interruptus, Skullflower, Rammstein. David Bowie and The Fall/ :D

Sic semper amicitia!!!
Ambient Music Club.

BBS Signature
positively-negative
positively-negative
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Reader
Response to Post-Punk Appreciation Society Apr. 1st, 2008 @ 07:40 PM Reply

At 4/1/08 10:26 AM, ZeroAsALimit wrote: Spinning a live rendition of Vengence by new Model Army.

Also been spinnin' Foetus Interruptus, Skullflower, Rammstein. David Bowie and The Fall/ :D

Yeah, I've been spinning The Yardbirds and The Blues Brothers. A shining example of a post punk/new wave fan I am...

positively-negative
positively-negative
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Reader
Response to Post-Punk Appreciation Society Apr. 2nd, 2008 @ 07:42 AM Reply

At 4/2/08 07:31 AM, MickTheChampion wrote: Ian McCulloch is getting his memoirs published, apparently.

Oh god, I have to buy it. If only to see how many people he rips into.

I still love what he said about U2's "I Will Follow":
"I Will Lead' is the song I would've written"

Pure ego that would make most gangsta rappers jealous with envy.

ZeroAsALimit
ZeroAsALimit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Melancholy
Response to Post-Punk Appreciation Society Apr. 2nd, 2008 @ 08:26 PM Reply

At 4/2/08 02:30 PM, MickTheChampion wrote: Is anyone here in a band?

Not quite. I have been in 3 so to speak: a college band that I had to be in to pass, which disintegrated as soon as it was over (Arena Rock, Blues, Industrial and Hardcore Punk don't blend, or at least we couldn't do it and most of us were too arrogant to do anything else), another which was to be called Analicious Allan & The Asslickers. That second one was the idea of someone in school who I think might have hung about with me to mock me. In any case, after a few rehearsals, it became clear to them that not only was I not creative, but I didn't want to play what i called Pop.

Then there is my Noise band. But that's on haiatus, because I have some better ideas.

I've played one gig with my college band and that was it. There was a CD of the night, but the sound engineer didn't like synths, so he made sure only to record everyone elses mike.

Seriously, pick up a microKORG and play the chords to hey Joe. Sen-fucking=sational!

Sic semper amicitia!!!
Ambient Music Club.

BBS Signature
positively-negative
positively-negative
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Reader
Response to Post-Punk Appreciation Society Apr. 2nd, 2008 @ 08:41 PM Reply

At 4/2/08 02:30 PM, MickTheChampion wrote: Is anyone here in a band?

I have been in quite a few over time playing rythmn guitar or bass mostly, but none of them really got out of the practice rooms as we were more interested in playing for ourselves than others, plus the lineups changed week by week.

But I'm trying to find a line-up for an epic funky rythmn and blues band with a horn section. Cause I'm thinking it's time to give all the local Ska bands a run for their money in terms of horn power.

Randominator
Randominator
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Post-Punk Appreciation Society Apr. 5th, 2008 @ 01:34 PM Reply

Killing Joke>all

down on the upside

ZeroAsALimit
ZeroAsALimit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Melancholy
Response to Post-Punk Appreciation Society Apr. 18th, 2008 @ 08:08 PM Reply

At 4/5/08 01:34 PM, Randominator wrote: Killing Joke>all

Have you forsaken Trent for Coleman? =3

I......I have such a strong urge to splurge hundreds of pounds on New Wave records, but I am such a pauper. :(

Sic semper amicitia!!!
Ambient Music Club.

BBS Signature
positively-negative
positively-negative
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Reader