Respond to this Topic
Gabe
Gabe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 7th, 2006 @ 07:02 PM Reply

Blah, it's only a concern for the whiny 12 year olds who insert 30 numbers in their usernames

WarSyndicate
WarSyndicate
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Animator
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 7th, 2006 @ 07:19 PM Reply

At 11/7/06 07:03 PM, KemCab wrote: I think that there should be a system in which every account is alloted one free page to do what they want. The URL for their username (user.newgrounds.com) will be reserved for that user. If he does not want that URL, he will ask for a different one to do whatever he pleases.

And more user pages can be purchased for a small fee if needed.

e.
I don't think anyone would be convinced for more pages if there was a fee, but your other ideas, however, are good.

Geohunter
Geohunter
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 7th, 2006 @ 07:32 PM Reply

Maybe it could be made so that the url automatically changes when the name changes

BBS Signature
Kyothine
Kyothine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 7th, 2006 @ 07:58 PM Reply

Maybe we should put a form:

NG USERNAME (Still changeable)

NG URL: (Insert random phrase here)

BBS Signature
TVs-Tom-Selleck
TVs-Tom-Selleck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 7th, 2006 @ 07:58 PM Reply

TV's Tom Selleck here, I just popped by this thread on break from shooting my new movie, "My Baby Daddy Ghostride His Caddy" to ask you a question Tom Fulp. We have a part for you in the movie and if you agree we can have you on location by Friday. You'll be playing the guy who can ghostride your whip better than anyone in the bay area (you've been known to turf dance on the hood while the car still rollin' 40 MPH in the movie). Hope to hear from you soon!

\/ stache factor \/

BBS Signature
SoulDrug
SoulDrug
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 7th, 2006 @ 08:01 PM Reply

Aww...Don't take away the ability to change names :(

I<3weed

BBS Signature
HanziDrown
HanziDrown
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 7th, 2006 @ 08:14 PM Reply

If you don't already have a commitment to atleast one name you go bye, nick name or user name then you my friend.... are sad. If you can't think of one name that will stick with you throughout the span of using this website....then you kinda lack the neccesary imagination to create and or enjoy creations of newgrounds.com caliber.... Thus all you who constantly change your name = PWNED!

Dopefish
Dopefish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 54
Reader
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 7th, 2006 @ 08:27 PM Reply

At 11/7/06 08:14 PM, HanziDrown wrote:

:Thus all you who constantly change your name = PWNED!

Most name changes are based on inside jokes or holiday themes. Also, a lot of good names are taken so people have to choose crappy alternatives instead.

But yeah, name changing can get annoying and isn't needed for the most part, although it is nice to have the option.

Have a lot of time on your hands? Want to help some starving children eat for free? Visit Free Rice and start playing today. Each correct answer donates 20 grains of rice!

BBS Signature
ZagmenO
ZagmenO
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Melancholy
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 7th, 2006 @ 08:28 PM Reply

Would changing your password do any harm?

I laugh at your sigs!

Ciph3rzer0
Ciph3rzer0
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 7th, 2006 @ 08:30 PM Reply

Your name should be dynamic untill you create a user page, and then after you do that, what ever your name is then becomes perminant.

But then, after you finalize your name, you can have 'pseudo names.' Just have the actual name somewhere else on the post but not as prominant as your pseudo name.

So like, lets say I join NG as Cipherzero. Then I decide to change my name to Ciph3rzer0, so I do. Then I find out about these cool ng user pages you can make, and it says to make sure that the name I currently have is the name I wish to be stuck with. So I say yes and I make my user page :)

I would really like to see the user pages be something distinguished. But It would probably be more functional if available to everyone.

Like people can have their alpha and beta files up there. So then when you're going through old threads the links will still exist.

But ultimately i think it would be a good way to promote flash authors. You can have a page that has the top 50 for BA and for popularity and stuff. Author info and stuff, I can see it now, it's going to be a great thing!

Do you think maybe we could earn partial ad revenue from our user pages? Like if we have a good BA and get alot of hits to the NG page or something.

I would probably just have a redirect to my page anyways...

I dont know why I posted, its not like anyone will see this on page whatever this is.

TimeGames.net - It's about time.

BBS Signature
Some-Stupid-Idiot
Some-Stupid-Idiot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 7th, 2006 @ 08:32 PM Reply

Cool. I already like my name. I pretty much had it since I really got into NG.

phrostbyte666
phrostbyte666
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 7th, 2006 @ 08:33 PM Reply

i personnaly don't care. i like my name and im willing to stick with it

jenova-absolute
jenova-absolute
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 7th, 2006 @ 08:40 PM Reply

if it's name changes or personal pages, personal pages all the way.

BBS Signature
Nicko9y
Nicko9y
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 7th, 2006 @ 09:03 PM Reply

I liked the username freedom, but having a user page is defiantly worth it.

Ever wonder if your mom kissed you goodnight after she gave your dad a blowjob? Well, you do now.

BBS Signature
Matzerath
Matzerath
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Game Developer
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 7th, 2006 @ 09:06 PM Reply

Well, if you want to get all technical about it, if you shell out money for an actual Url, you'll be wanting to stick with the name you pick (or have to compromise into); having to keep a name doesn't seem like such a bad thing -- I mean, when you have different names in real-life that usually means you're a serial-killer or a date raper or the like. And we aren't those, are we guys?
(I gave it up years ago)
But of course, in my case, like many others taking this side of the argument, I have the profile-name I want, of course.

Crag
Crag
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 7th, 2006 @ 09:09 PM Reply

I seemed to have found the perfect name for myself so I have no desire to change it, but I do have another question, will it come bundled with the new layout?

Awesome post great job!

Raped
Raped
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 7th, 2006 @ 09:17 PM Reply

Well I like my name so if you lock it down, I personally would be happy because no one can steal my name. However, locking down names will piss off a lot of people.

You have been warned Tom.

Cambodian People for the win!
Asian users club

BBS Signature
strumpy
strumpy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
s1nt3ch
s1nt3ch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 7th, 2006 @ 09:42 PM Reply

do like myspace you're allowed to change your alias as much as you want, but you always have the same url. Just make it so you can change the usernames, but not the urls, like they do

BBS Signature
Spootnik
Spootnik
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 7th, 2006 @ 09:54 PM Reply

i really dont give a HOOT! but if you have to, go ahead. im probably sticking to my name anyway. although maybe i would change it once in a while idk. i also kinda like the idea some other people said about being able to change your username/display name, but have only one certain domain name. idk just an idea???

liljim
liljim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 7th, 2006 @ 09:55 PM Reply

Alright, I haven't said my piece here and I guess it's time to do that.

For all of those of you who're saying "Do what [other sites] do", you're blind as to WHY they're doing that. That's basically a band aid on a poor username implementation system.

Luckily, the only thing we've ever had to alter with respect to usernames in the past 7 years of user accounts on Newgrounds is the restriction of underscores (_) from usernames, and that's largely down to Ross' foresight, when he created the user accounts system years ago.

As for going ahead with the "user name/display name" situation. What a crock... Most of the people who're going for this argument have actually complained in the past about not being able to get their desired username. So, if you have a "username" that's unique and then a "display name" that's also unique (and is assigned to every new user), then you also have to check (when signing up a new user), whether: a) the username is taken and THEN b) whether the display name is taken.

Imagine how many people (like you who have requested unique usernames (that were previously taken) for a long time) would feel, given those peoples' situation.

With regards to those who have given input about meta-redirects, header redirects, etc - thanks, but, with respect, those sort of situations should only ever arise after actual data (as in posts to the bbs) has been sent to the script, rather than relatively insignificant handle comparisons.

Let's not forget what a user page is supposed to be. It's supposed to be a user's page.

Changing usernames just for the sake of holidays doesn't cut it with me, change your image in your profile or in your bbs signature instead. Sorry.

DFox
DFox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 7th, 2006 @ 10:03 PM Reply

At 11/7/06 09:55 PM, liljim wrote: Changing usernames just for the sake of holidays doesn't cut it with me, change your image in your profile or in your bbs signature instead. Sorry.

OK, if that doesn't cut it, what about people who come here when they're little kids and make names like zeldadude6969 or in my case, GamesCool. If they become an active member of the community, and they're not 13 anymore, they may not want to carry that babyish name with them. Just a thought.

BBS Signature
wismty
wismty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Movie Buff
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 7th, 2006 @ 10:04 PM Reply

At 11/7/06 09:55 PM, liljim wrote: Changing usernames just for the sake of holidays doesn't cut it with me.

Wait, do you want us tu bribe you?

*Hands liljim 5 bucks

Ok, we didn't talk.

Need help on beating Alkie Kong 2, brutal mode? click here.

liljim
liljim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 7th, 2006 @ 10:11 PM Reply

At 11/7/06 10:03 PM, DFox wrote: OK, if that doesn't cut it, what about people who come here when they're little kids and make names like zeldadude6969 or in my case, GamesCool. If they become an active member of the community, and they're not 13 anymore, they may not want to carry that babyish name with them. Just a thought.

In my opinion, GamesCool is better than DFox. People remember you (I'm talking about the hundreds of thousands who DON'T voice their opinions, either way) by your initial username. You might have lost fans (or at least their association with who you are) by changing names.

Doki
Doki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Animator
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 7th, 2006 @ 10:21 PM Reply

Well on myspace and youtube you can change your url whenever you want. Surely their coding isn't that advanced? If not why not just set up a deadline day where people have to have stick with thier names after that? I'm it won't bother too many people, and of course there'll be complaints on the forums but that's all forums are anyway, complaints. Do it Tom, userpages would really kick ass. It would be so much better than linking people to a search result that doesn't always work. Also while I'm here would it be too much to ask for some way of sorting people's flashes by the date they were made? It's always nice to see how an animator has progressed.

DFox
DFox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 7th, 2006 @ 10:26 PM Reply

At 11/7/06 10:11 PM, liljim wrote: In my opinion, GamesCool is better than DFox. People remember you (I'm talkig about the hundreds of thousands who DON'T voice their opinions, either way) by your initial username. You might have lost fans (or at least their association with you are) by changing names.

Oops (didn't know I had fans) :) Maybe I made a mistake, but it's too late to turn back, and personally I prefer DFox. It's short, and like my real name.

Anyway, about people being know by their initial usernames, I'll take your word for it as you know better than be. Hopefully the people who outgrow names and want to change will be the minority. I mean I think you're defined more by who you are on this BBS rather than your name, which is the way it should be, so I guess changing the name you made when you were younger isn't a biggie.

Either way, I'm sure the coolness of user pages will greatly outweigh not being able to change your username. Personally, I can't wait. I despise MySpace, so having a user page on one of my favorite sites will be awesome.

At 11/7/06 10:21 PM, Doki wrote: Well on myspace and youtube you can change your url whenever you want. Surely their coding isn't that advanced? If not why not just set up a deadline day where people have to have stick with thier names after that?

I highly doubt coding is the issue. The only issue is the change in URLs would throw off people and links that were previously created before the name change. Also, looking at what MySpace does is just pointless as it's such a poorly designed site.

BBS Signature
Nemo
Nemo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Game Developer
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 7th, 2006 @ 10:30 PM Reply

I think you should just give us a 30 day deadline or something to change names. If that be the case then, can we take dibs on the names that inactive users have?

BBS Signature
liljim
liljim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 7th, 2006 @ 10:39 PM Reply

At 11/7/06 10:30 PM, AtomicSponge wrote: I think you should just give us a 30 day deadline or something to change names. If that be the case then, can we take dibs on the names that inactive users have?

You're a bit late there.

Vegeton
Vegeton
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Artist
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 7th, 2006 @ 10:48 PM Reply

It's obvious by now that many users don't like the idea of a username lockdown. But personally, it doesn't bother me in the slightest since my username has pretty much always remained the same and is the same for any site I goto and makes me more recognizeable that way since people see "Vegeton" and know that it's me and not someone else. I support all your decisions through and through Tom, even if at times they shake the foundations of NG.

XBOX LIVE /// KevRS

BBS Signature
s1nt3ch
s1nt3ch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 7th, 2006 @ 10:58 PM Reply

actually it would be a good idea to just restrict it, i mean if i really wanna change my user name, I'll just create a new account.Not that i have changed it in all the years I've been here. well once when i accidentally put in a wrong email address when i was changing the password, and back then you had to confirm through the email or something wierd, and i was never able to login. By the way if there's anyway to fix that , it would be kinda cool to have my original user name

"sintech" you can pm me if it's possible to open that again <wink wink>

that and i have 1 alt account

BBS Signature