Respond to this Topic
s1nt3ch
s1nt3ch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 7th, 2006 @ 10:58 PM Reply

actually it would be a good idea to just restrict it, i mean if i really wanna change my user name, I'll just create a new account.Not that i have changed it in all the years I've been here. well once when i accidentally put in a wrong email address when i was changing the password, and back then you had to confirm through the email or something wierd, and i was never able to login. By the way if there's anyway to fix that , it would be kinda cool to have my original user name

"sintech" you can pm me if it's possible to open that again <wink wink>

that and i have 1 alt account

BBS Signature
MisterSambert
MisterSambert
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Melancholy
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 7th, 2006 @ 11:10 PM Reply

At 11/6/06 08:26 PM, TomFulp wrote: Consider this post a sort of heads up... There's a chance your name might go on lockdown, so be sure it's the name you want to have. This is also a chance for everyone to share their opinions concerning this course of action. Go for it.

I support the name lock down.

WOOT WOOT WOOT WOOT

BBS Signature
lupedog
lupedog
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 7th, 2006 @ 11:12 PM Reply

Well Tom I definitely don’t have a problem with the user name change locking but I have a question. If you guys are managing the sit on a database with a web interface cant you make something else the primary key in the database? I mean if you’re using a relational database we can be given a user ID and create a relationship to that ID. Like on myspace.com my user name is Lupedog but my myspace site is myspace.com/webmasterluke, it was not set up that way I chose it. If we were given that same choice as to chose our site front name then have to stick to that name then we could still change our alias freely.

Just a question?

DFox
DFox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 7th, 2006 @ 11:21 PM Reply

At 11/7/06 11:12 PM, lupedog wrote: Just a question?

I'm not Tom, but I am a programmer. You're pretty much over complicating the problem. On your MySpace, webmasterluke is associated with your user id, OK, fine. But if that relational username or address or whatever you'd like to call it changes, then that old name is not pointing or relating to your user id any longer because it either doesn't exist in the address table or is occupied and relating to another user id, because only the new name is. Sure, you can store every old name and keep the relation for each to the user id, but that would be absurd being you could have a ton of names and they would become to scarce.

BBS Signature
FUNKbrs
FUNKbrs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 7th, 2006 @ 11:25 PM Reply

But tom.....

What about BantaClaus?

Username Lockdown?

My band Sin City ScoundrelsOur song Vixen of Doom
HATE.
Because 2,000 years of "For God so loved the world" doesn't trump 1.2 million years of "Survival of the Fittest."

madman57
madman57
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 7th, 2006 @ 11:40 PM Reply

Changing your name is a bonus to newground users everywhere but if its just going to cause a big problem with the urls then don't allow it.

Frank
Frank
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 8th, 2006 @ 12:19 AM Reply

My user name is awesome.

butch-flowers
butch-flowers
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 8th, 2006 @ 12:24 AM Reply

if you gave people enough warning i think it would be okay but that is a great feature on newgrounds to be able to change your name but it is not crucial the benifits of the new system probably outway the ability to change your name. im sure there is some clever way to solve this problem but none are going to work to well there ias probably going to be a whole lot of mess if you try to do both with either broken links or too many "this page has moved pages" and that will just suck.
no name change= a okay

Tancrisism
Tancrisism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 8th, 2006 @ 12:25 AM Reply

I really haven't got a problem with it.

Fancy Signature

Dopefish
Dopefish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 54
Reader
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 8th, 2006 @ 12:25 AM Reply

I guess ultimately I agree with a lockdown because I realize how annoying/pointless name changes are. I still still can't help to think that I could potentially have a better name (which is Dopefish btw... it holds a lot of sentimental value :P) if the opportunity arose.

Whatever happens in the end, I think that people will support it. I love Newgrounds too much to bitch and moan about necessary changes. I'm also a bit drunk at the moment, but all that aside, I support whatever happens and I'm seriously looking forward to this update. Good luck sorting things out you guys.

Have a lot of time on your hands? Want to help some starving children eat for free? Visit Free Rice and start playing today. Each correct answer donates 20 grains of rice!

BBS Signature
neogeo0823
neogeo0823
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 8th, 2006 @ 12:50 AM Reply

wait a minute... you mean to tell me we could always change our names?!?!? 0.o

why wasnt i ever informed of this? ah well... its not like i wanna change my name anyway. i have history with this name on this site. its the first site i ever joined and the only name ive ever used on any other site ever. i couldnt change it even if i wanted to cause it also has symbolic newgrounds history. its like a statue of a long dead king! you just cant change it!

lupedog
lupedog
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 8th, 2006 @ 01:12 AM Reply

All I’m saying is that almost every user on NG has an industry name, you do, "Orange Fox Games", and I do, "Timothy Lane Studios." I think that since Tom is thinking in the direction of dynamic user pages, I think that he could make them less dependant on the user names and more dependent on a subsidiary site name that we can pick, and that would have to bee locked, not necessarily the username.

NemoX
NemoX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 8th, 2006 @ 01:13 AM Reply

I won't have a problem because I never change mine, but for those who do, could it be optional to have the profile page in the old format where it was lnked to their ID and not their username?

lupedog
lupedog
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 8th, 2006 @ 01:35 AM Reply

Thank you someone gets what I’m trying to say, having the ID our primary key not the username. If the primary key is nonvolatile then everything else came relate in the rest of the database. If you know anything about databases you can create a ID that would control the record, the name that could be changed would liked to that ID, and after that the sub site could also be linked to the ID not the name.

DFox
DFox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 8th, 2006 @ 01:49 AM Reply

At 11/8/06 01:35 AM, lupedog wrote: Thank you someone gets what I’m trying to say, having the ID our primary key not the username. If the primary key is nonvolatile then everything else came relate in the rest of the database. If you know anything about databases you can create a ID that would control the record, the name that could be changed would liked to that ID, and after that the sub site could also be linked to the ID not the name.

You're talking about database structuring 101, but you're not addressing the issue. If I understand what you're saying, you're saying have two URLs, like 590188.newgrounds.com and dfox.newgrounds.com... That would work, but what if I plaster the link dfox.newgrounds.com all over the internet? Also, no one wants their user id as their URL, as you can't remember it.

BBS Signature
lupedog
lupedog
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 8th, 2006 @ 02:15 AM Reply

That’s not what I’m saying, I’m saying like myspace.com you pick your sub site "myspace.com/webmasterluke," my username is not webmasterluke, its lupedog. After I had my name established I created a sub site and that sub site name is linked to my user ID and my user ID is linked to my username. So ultimately my page would not be, "24875.newgrounds.com" or "lupedog.newgrounds.com" but in fact "Timothylanestudios.newgrounds.com." Now on that note I am done arguing with DFox.

Just think about this, you could keep your username as Dfox but our personal sub site could be, "orangefoxgames.newgrounds.com"

Jack-sik
Jack-sik
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 8th, 2006 @ 02:48 AM Reply

DO WAT YOU WANT ITS YOUR SITE PEOPLE WILL LIKE IT NO MATTER WAT HAPPENS

W-A-C
W-A-C
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 8th, 2006 @ 02:59 AM Reply

I really don't want to loose the ability. It has come really handy in the past and it beats making a new username because an old username sucks.

I added the "2008 Kucinich" thing to my sig less than 24 hours before he dropped out of the race and has been too lazy to change it. <_<

BBS Signature
ELFERRETO
ELFERRETO
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 8th, 2006 @ 03:02 AM Reply

you should make a request link on the site so people can ask for their username to be changed, so you can change it manually and like do a page fowarder or something.... but maybe that wont work, you do whatever you feel like, personally i dont really think we need our own username adresses but if you want

Error
Error
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 8th, 2006 @ 03:10 AM Reply

At 11/6/06 08:26 PM, TomFulp wrote: We've been faced with a dilemma for a while now that doesn't have any great solution. With the eventual introduction of user pages, user URLs will become much more prominent destinations. For example, I'm hoping lots of people will check out tomfulp.newgrounds.com once it comes into existence. :)

The question is... Do we allow users to change their names at this point? If you change your name, you are essentially changing your URL, meaning all existing links to your page will become dead links.

It has never been a problem in the past because the profile URL is based on your unique ID #. Since user pages will be tied to your name, the only option is to make your name a permanent identifier, otherwise users could create dead links at will and it would make the site a lot less organized over time.

I get this bad feeling that people will totally freak out at the thought of not being able to change their names. Plenty of sites already don't allow you to change your name, but people are accustomed to the option here on NG. Then again, are name changes really necessary or is it a feature that people abuse in the first place?

Consider this post a sort of heads up... There's a chance your name might go on lockdown, so be sure it's the name you want to have. This is also a chance for everyone to share their opinions concerning this course of action. Go for it.

I personally think this whole idea is stupid.

Newgrounds is a site based solely on undiscovered flash authors been given the chance to showcase their flash to a web audience of thousands, you're wanting to turn it into some kind of fucked up myspace dude.

Newgrounds is original, that's why it prospered, myspace was also original, i just think this idea of users having their personal spaces is kind of stupid and defeats the point of ng.

Afro-Ninja
Afro-Ninja
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Game Developer
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 8th, 2006 @ 03:45 AM Reply

At 11/8/06 02:15 AM, lupedog wrote: That’s not what I’m saying, I’m saying like myspace.com you pick your sub site "myspace.com/webmasterluke," my username is not webmasterluke, its lupedog. After I had my name established I created a sub site and that sub site name is linked to my user ID and my user ID is linked to my username. So ultimately my page would not be, "24875.newgrounds.com" or "lupedog.newgrounds.com" but in fact "Timothylanestudios.newgrounds.com." Now on that note I am done arguing with DFox.

Just think about this, you could keep your username as Dfox but our personal sub site could be, "orangefoxgames.newgrounds.com"

Newgrounds is one of the largest sites on the internet, to think that they created a database with the PK set as a username and not an id is crazy. Of course that's the way it is, haven't you viewed our profile pages before?

Anyway what you're saying is certainly possible, but as James replied, is it really going to be worth the effort? You now have two names to associate with one id, when someone wants to change their name or sign up both names have to be checked to make they don't conflict with every one else's double names. And for what? so you can add 'lol' in your name for a couple weeks?

BBS Signature
Afro-Ninja
Afro-Ninja
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Game Developer
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 8th, 2006 @ 03:48 AM Reply

At 11/8/06 03:10 AM, Error wrote: I personally think this whole idea is stupid.

Newgrounds is a site based solely on undiscovered flash authors been given the chance to showcase their flash to a web audience of thousands, you're wanting to turn it into some kind of fucked up myspace dude.

Newgrounds is original, that's why it prospered, myspace was also original, i just think this idea of users having their personal spaces is kind of stupid and defeats the point of ng.

What better way for those artists to get discovered than to have a comprehensive page that lists all of their creations? Our profile pages are a sort of 'personal page.' So just think of it as a greatly enhanced profile. That make it better?

BBS Signature
<deleted>
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 8th, 2006 @ 04:30 AM Reply

At 11/8/06 03:48 AM, Afro-Ninja wrote: What better way for those artists to get discovered than to have a comprehensive page that lists all of their creations? Our profile pages are a sort of 'personal page.' So just think of it as a greatly enhanced profile.

As long as people won't be allowed to flood it with pictures of their cat, I'm all for it.

Turd-Of-The-Week
Turd-Of-The-Week
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 8th, 2006 @ 04:42 AM Reply

I wonder Why tom's trying to change newgrounds into myspace......

when in doubt.... punch HAMZ10 IN THE FUCKING FANNY!

BBS Signature
TommyGun
TommyGun
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 8th, 2006 @ 04:52 AM Reply

At 11/8/06 04:42 AM, zach9311 wrote: I wonder Why tom's trying to change newgrounds into myspace......

Well, with FOX buying MySpace and Google buying YouTube maybe he's trying to get a quick buck....

"It isn't that democrats are ignorant. Far from it. it's just that they know so much that just isn't so"
Ronald Reagan
Proud supporter of the Dinosaur Conspiracy Theory

BBS Signature
Raulkill
Raulkill
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 8th, 2006 @ 05:13 AM Reply

Changing mine.....o.O

Signatures are for sissy men

Error
Error
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 8th, 2006 @ 05:49 AM Reply

At 11/8/06 04:52 AM, TommyTheMachineGunn wrote:
At 11/8/06 04:42 AM, zach9311 wrote: I wonder Why tom's trying to change newgrounds into myspace......
Well, with FOX buying MySpace and Google buying YouTube maybe he's trying to get a quick buck....

Doubt it when ebaumsworld offered to buy this site for millions

Acerbic
Acerbic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 8th, 2006 @ 06:26 AM Reply

Names help identify people, if everyone changes them how the fuck to you know when its them or not?

Lockdown is a good idea!

Laos101
Laos101
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 8th, 2006 @ 06:40 AM Reply

At 11/7/06 09:53 AM, Idocreating wrote: The only problem i would have is if i wanted to join a crew or club like the Clock crew.

Wouldn't be able to change my name then. Unless a feature for crews was added in the user profile but i doubt that's gonna happen.

like a tag?

really your name hasnt changed with a tag, only it has a small clan ( or crew in this case) Marker of its initials ( or CLOCK) at the beginning or end, it shouldn't change the URL

iv-n
iv-n
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Username Lockdown? Nov. 8th, 2006 @ 07:22 AM Reply