00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Dream Theater Crew

101,162 Views | 1,520 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2009-09-04 05:41:14

At 9/1/09 07:47 PM, Nev wrote: I'll answer tomorrow or something, I'm gonna do it my way though, 2 70min albums :).

That's way more complicated though. :P

So much so, we're still waiting. :D

Make war, not love.

BBS Signature

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2009-09-04 16:42:00

At 9/4/09 05:41 AM, AniMetal wrote: That's way more complicated though. :P

Not really. Just make a playlist in iTunes :). Does the numbers for ya :).

So much so, we're still waiting. :D

Yeah, I couldn't be bothered looking for the topic :P. I'll do it now.
In the order I think would be best for listening too (which has been tested of course :)).
Sadly songs like Scarred and The Glass Prison had to be missed out in order to have some diversity of era.
Disc two is particucarly difficult to order as the last three songs are all capable of ending an album.

Disc 1:
1. A Fortune in Lies
2. Stream of Consciousness
3. In the Presence of the Enemies, Pt. 1
4. A Mind Beside Itself: II. Voices
5. In the Presence of the Enemies, Pt. 2
6. Wait for Sleep
7. Scene Seven: I. The Dance of Eternity
8. Learning to Live
Running Time: 1:12:13

Disc 2:
1. Metropolis, Pt. 1: The Miracle and the Sleeper
2. Octavarium
3. Scene Nine: Finally Free
4. A Change of Seasons
5. Space-Dye Vest
Running Time: 1:16:09

Metal Hell ## Guitarists ## Stand Up Comedy

PSN: Look-a-Hill

Somewhere Over the Rainbow

BBS Signature

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2009-09-05 07:31:11

At 9/4/09 04:42 PM, Nev wrote: I'll do it now. In the order I think would be best for listening too (which has been tested of course :)).

I'll have to test out your album when i have 2 and a half hours free :)

Nice song choices.

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2009-09-05 18:28:11

At 9/5/09 07:31 AM, Life-Stream wrote: I'll have to test out your album when i have 2 and a half hours free :)

Let the session begin!

Dream Theater Crew

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2009-09-05 18:31:08

At 9/5/09 06:28 PM, Life-Stream wrote: Let the session begin!

Sweet :).

I listened to it all yesterday. I thought it worked well on the whole. Octavarium to Finally Free isn't a great transition but if you look at it with an encore mentality I think its okay :).

BBS Signature

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2009-09-05 18:58:06

At 9/5/09 06:31 PM, Nev wrote: I listened to it all yesterday. I thought it worked well on the whole. Octavarium to Finally Free isn't a great transition but if you look at it with an encore mentality I think its okay :).

They're both awesome songs, so it's all good! I think if FF was on a best of album they'd have to edit it and cut it to just the actual song though, as if it's not listened to on Scenes from a memory, the sound parts don't really make any sense.....if you know what i mean.

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2009-09-05 19:05:27

At 9/5/09 06:58 PM, Life-Stream wrote: They're both awesome songs, so it's all good! I think if FF was on a best of album they'd have to edit it and cut it to just the actual song though, as if it's not listened to on Scenes from a memory, the sound parts don't really make any sense.....if you know what i mean.

I do. But if you don't know what the sound parts mean then you don't deserve to be listening to my creation :).
Greatest Hits shouldn't be a cheap way of making new fans by selling out your current ones by dumbing it down.

BBS Signature

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2009-09-05 21:02:59

At 9/5/09 07:05 PM, Nev wrote: Greatest Hits shouldn't be a cheap way of making new fans by selling out your current ones by dumbing it down.

I wouldn't say it's dumbing it down. Just think of it as making precious album time. You could probably cut down FFs sound bits and squeeze in Vacant instead. I'd much prefer listen to vacant. Especially right before SoC, they merge so well :)

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2009-09-15 10:35:59

Dream Theater have released a new EP all of sudden for digital stores and there are only two words to describe it:

UTTER DISAPPOINTMENT

This is the track list for the Wither EP:

01. Wither (Album Version) (5:25)
02. Wither (Piano Version) (5:07)
03. Wither (John Petrucci Vocal Demo) (5:24)
04. The Best of Times (Mike Portnoy Vocal Demo) (13:04)

So just alternative versions of Wither and The Best of Times? Goddamn, considering how awesome A Change of Seasons was, I'd have expected a second EP of theirs to be also great with actual new tracks to listen to, not this.

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2009-09-15 16:52:39

At 9/15/09 10:35 AM, Bahamut wrote: So just alternative versions of Wither and The Best of Times? Goddamn, considering how awesome A Change of Seasons was, I'd have expected a second EP of theirs to be also great with actual new tracks to listen to, not this.

Plus I don't really want to hear Mike and John singing.
James is bad enough, so they can't be much better :P.

BBS Signature

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2009-09-15 19:06:32

At 9/15/09 10:35 AM, Bahamut wrote: So just alternative versions of Wither and The Best of Times? Goddamn, considering how awesome A Change of Seasons was, I'd have expected a second EP of theirs to be also great with actual new tracks to listen to, not this.

Of all the tracks to make 2 new versions of, i wouldn't have chosen wither. I wouldn't mind hearing the John vocal version though - just to see how he does it compared to James.

Have you heard it yet Bahamut?

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2009-09-20 08:28:05

So i've just come across this awesome video. I think it works pretty well....what do you guys think?

Also, i've been listening to the count of Tuscany quite alot lately, and i damn love it. I just read that John Petrucci wrote that song from a personal experience he had. Sounds like an awesome story, but quite scary - I mean, to be frightened for your life it had to be kinda scary for him.

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2009-09-20 09:58:11

At 9/15/09 07:06 PM, Life-Stream wrote: Have you heard it yet Bahamut?

Nah, the EP's not worth my purchase. If it had at least one actual new track, I would have considered getting it. However, since it doesn't, I'll pass.

At 9/20/09 08:28 AM, Life-Stream wrote: So i've just come across this awesome video. I think it works pretty well....what do you guys think?

The original thing was awesome enough already but this is also great to hear.

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2009-09-20 11:14:43

At 9/20/09 09:58 AM, Bahamut wrote: Nah, the EP's not worth my purchase. If it had at least one actual new track, I would have considered getting it. However, since it doesn't, I'll pass.

Yeah, even though Petrucci does an okay job on vocals, and Rudess and LaBrie do a quite soothing piano version, i don't think it's worth it.

The original thing was awesome enough already but this is also great to hear.

I don't think there are covers or different versions of DT songs that are actually better than the originals, but i thought that was pretty damn awesome.

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2009-11-24 17:08:35

Hey guys! I've been a Dream Theater fan for years thanks to my older brother, and I've seen them live several times in the Dallas area.

Go ahead and personalize your own variation of a sig I compiled a year or so ago. Ytse jam!

Dream Theater Crew

-Formerly known as Phobotech-

Voice Actor / Pre-Production Animator / Illustrator / T-Shirt Designer / Author

"I sail through a golden nexus. By tanks with armor that glisten. I watch and I play with creations, and what I'm not reading, I listen." <-

BBS Signature

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2009-11-24 17:11:39

At 11/24/09 05:08 PM, Phobotech wrote: Hey guys! I've been a Dream Theater fan for years thanks to my older brother, and I've seen them live several times in the Dallas area.

Go ahead and personalize your own variation of a sig I compiled a year or so ago. Ytse jam!

Wow someone who isn't Lifestream, Bahamut or myself.
Welcome :).

Theres been plenty of lists like 'Favourite Songs' 'Albums in order of preference', etc, etc. So indulge us :P.

BBS Signature

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2009-11-27 05:10:01

At 11/24/09 05:11 PM, Nev wrote:
Wow someone who isn't Lifestream, Bahamut or myself.
Welcome :).

Thanks!

Theres been plenty of lists like 'Favourite Songs' 'Albums in order of preference', etc, etc. So indulge us :P.

Oh jeez...Favorite songs? Hmm...Off the top of my head, either "Endless Sacrifice" or "Lie"

(I prefer their heavy stuff, but I still like songs like "I Walk Beside You" and "Another Day" and the likes.)

Albums? Very first album I ever heard of theirs was "A Change of Seasons" and it's because of the nostalgia from hearing it, that puts it on top of everything else. "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulance" was brilliant and so were most of the orchestral covers from that album in Score XOX, but from there on out, I can't play favorites. :D

"I sail through a golden nexus. By tanks with armor that glisten. I watch and I play with creations, and what I'm not reading, I listen." <-

BBS Signature

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2009-11-27 16:07:51

At 11/27/09 05:10 AM, Phobotech wrote: Oh jeez...Favorite songs? Hmm...Off the top of my head, either "Endless Sacrifice" or "Lie"

Thats a new response :P.
Endless Sacrifice is a nice song for live shows.
And Lie is off Awake so it has nothing but love from me.

Kinda rare choices though. But to each their own :).

Albums? Very first album I ever heard of theirs was "A Change of Seasons" and it's because of the nostalgia from hearing it, that puts it on top of everything else.

A fine choice, good sir.
I don't care for the album though. The covers are meh in my opinion. So in terms of an album it loses points there. Song wise A Change of Seasons is untoppable.

"Six Degrees of Inner Turbulance" was brilliant and so were most of the orchestral covers from that album in Score XOX, but from there on out, I can't play favorites. :D

I'm not fond of 6DOIT. But Bahamut will like you.
What albums of theirs do you have?

BBS Signature

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2009-11-27 22:53:17

At 11/27/09 04:07 PM, Nev wrote:
What albums of theirs do you have?

6DOIT? If my assumptions are right in that they're the guys that performed with DT in Score XOX, then nothing but.

BBS Signature

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2009-11-28 19:42:29

At 11/27/09 10:53 PM, Phobotech wrote: 6DOIT? If my assumptions are right in that they're the guys that performed with DT in Score XOX, then nothing but.

6DOIT = Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence.

BBS Signature

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2009-11-29 21:17:59

At 11/28/09 07:42 PM, Nev wrote:
At 11/27/09 10:53 PM, Phobotech wrote: 6DOIT? If my assumptions are right in that they're the guys that performed with DT in Score XOX, then nothing but.
6DOIT = Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence.

Ahh.

I lost my copy of Awake way before I got my own computer, but I have

-A Change of Seasons
-Falling Into Infinity
-Images and Words
-Octavarium
-Scenes from a Memory
-The three disc Score:XOX
-2-disc Six Degrees of Inner Turbulance
-Systematic Chaos
-Train of Thought

and somewhere I have Black Clouds and Silver Linings...I just haven't synced it up yet.

Dream Theater Crew

BBS Signature

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2009-11-29 21:55:14

At 11/29/09 09:17 PM, Phobotech wrote: I lost my copy of Awake way before I got my own computer, but I have

You definately need Awake back :P.
Can't complain about the rest though :).

To compare with that little picture I have:
29 albums (although iTunes counts each disc as a seperate one... I have 18 counting my CD rack).
238 songs.
1 day, 7 hours, 18 minutes and 35 seconds of music.

BBS Signature

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2009-11-29 23:48:39

At 11/24/09 05:11 PM, Nev wrote: Wow someone who isn't Lifestream, Bahamut or myself.

Apparently I don't exist.

Make war, not love.

BBS Signature

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2009-11-30 11:25:51

At 11/29/09 11:48 PM, AniMetal wrote: Apparently I don't exist.

You exist, I just forgot about you :P.

BBS Signature

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2009-11-30 13:56:52

At 11/27/09 04:07 PM, Nev wrote: I don't care for the album though. The covers are meh in my opinion. So in terms of an album it loses points there. Song wise A Change of Seasons is untoppable.

At least the covers were something new unlike alternative versions of tracks they had for Wither so I take it for granted. Infact, I find them to be a nice bonus to the EP when they could have put just ACOS on there and nothing else.

"Six Degrees of Inner Turbulance" was brilliant and so were most of the orchestral covers from that album in Score XOX, but from there on out, I can't play favorites. :D

Got that right. :D

Do we know you? XP

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2009-11-30 15:13:30

At 11/30/09 11:25 AM, Nev wrote:
You exist, I just forgot about you :P.

WAY TO ADORE ME, ABUSE ME AND THEN IGNORE ME!

Make war, not love.

BBS Signature

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2010-02-01 02:27:13

Fuck yeah, I'll join.
I saw Dream Theater in December.

Thanks to QuikFox for the sig.

BBS Signature

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2010-02-18 18:57:27

At 11/29/09 09:17 PM, Phobotech wrote: and somewhere I have Black Clouds and Silver Linings...I just haven't synced it up yet.

Welcome dude. Good to see a new face around here :)

IN OTHER NEWS, Mike Portnoy will drum Avenged Sevenfolds next album. Like them or not, I think it's quite noble of him.
The Last quote was quite touching :)

Also, my pic.

It's in Spanish, but that's 20 albums, 190 songs, 25 hours.

Dream Theater Crew

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2010-02-19 07:00:52

At 2/18/10 06:57 PM, Life-Stream wrote: IN OTHER NEWS, Mike Portnoy will drum Avenged Sevenfolds next album. Like them or not, I think it's quite noble of him.

I think the band should just disband personally. :P

The Last quote was quite touching :)

I lol'd.

It's in Spanish, but that's 20 albums, 190 songs, 25 hours.

Holy fuck.

I don't listen to much DT anymore.

Occasionally I listen to Awake, Images, WDADU or ACOS but that's pretty much it.

Everything else Dream Theater has made after those has been sort of souless, boring, etc.

Like I can only listen to one - three songs per album.

The rest is unbearable most of the time.

Make war, not love.

BBS Signature

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2010-02-19 07:17:56

At 2/19/10 07:00 AM, AniMetal wrote: I think the band should just disband personally. :P

Well, if the rest of the band are still able and willing to play, and enjoy it, why should they?

Like I can only listen to one - three songs per album.
The rest is unbearable most of the time.

To be honest, i don't listen to them as much as i once did, but i still do love some of those epic songs. There's atleast 1 amazing song on each album.