Be a Supporter!
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 4 days ago Reply

At 7/18/14 08:29 PM, Auz wrote: I was hoping for a sort of live-action Neon Genesis Evangelion.

This reminds me of those rumors of Michael Bay about a month ago saying he'd like to direct an Evangelion movie. The End of Evangelion is my favorite movie, so that's well up there on my list of worst things that can ever happen.

I actually saw Transformers 4 a little while ago. I'd only ever seen the first one, I was about 11 at the time and thought it was passable, as a Transformers movie at least. I think I complained about the length of 4 in this thread but I always thought the hate for Bay and Transformers was just an overblown bandwagon.

It's not though. I saw several reviews saying this was easily the best of the four, and it's easily one of the shittiest films I've ever sat through.

Transformers and TMNT are a shame, but they're just fairly dumb cartoons to begin with, regardless of how much they mean to people. Evangelion on the other hand is such a genuinely thoughtful and unique experience for any age group and I'd just hate to see its name be synonymous with something on the level of Transformers fucking 4. It's probably just a rumor that wont go anywhere, but I'd lose my mind if it did.

last.fm / letterboxd / backloggery / mal / follow me if you think you can handle it

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 3 days ago Reply

I'd KILL to see Michael Bay do Evangelion.

Turning dopey kids cartoons into terrible action blockbuster trash isn't a huge leap, but turning NGE into it would be fascinating.

PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature
Piggler
Piggler
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 33
Artist

I decide to watch Schizopolis a couple days ago.

I really loved the first half hour. The mirror scene was what got me reeled in for good, but I seriously fucking loved the generic greeting exchange. At that point I had a grin on my face and I was looking forward to the rest of the movie, but it kinda just failed to deliver. There were some mildly funny bits and there was a sufficent plot, but I honestly didn't feel as engaged in the movie in parts 2 and 3.

One thing I failed to understand was the significance of the exterminator guy. Okay, I lied, there were plenty of things I didn't really get and I know at the beginning Soderbergh says to watch the film over and over again until I get it, but I'm just not that good at picking up on more subtle themes in movies.

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 56
Movie Buff

Watched Bottle Rocket yesterday, the first film of Wes Anderson.

Definitely not Wes Anderson's best, but it's still a good comedy film in my opinion. It reminded me a lot of Clerks and Mallrats for some reason. You see these small-time criminals in completely mundane situations, but the quick and witty dialogues between the characters makes it entertaining.

I recommend this if you're a fan of Kevin Smith films.

At 7/21/14 08:39 PM, Jackho wrote:
At 7/18/14 08:29 PM, Auz wrote: I was hoping for a sort of live-action Neon Genesis Evangelion.
This reminds me of those rumors of Michael Bay about a month ago saying he'd like to direct an Evangelion movie.

For real? I really hope he doesn't. It'd be such a shame if NGE is reduced to two-and-a-half hours of poorly directed action sequences. And if he screws it up like that, we're probably never going to see another live-action NGE again.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 12 July 2014)

BBS Signature
Dr-Worm
Dr-Worm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2 days ago Reply

@Piggler is picking this week's movie. Yaay @Piggler!

At 7/22/14 01:01 AM, Piggler wrote: At that point I had a grin on my face and I was looking forward to the rest of the movie, but it kinda just failed to deliver. There were some mildly funny bits and there was a sufficent plot, but I honestly didn't feel as engaged in the movie in parts 2 and 3.

I dunno man, Dr. Korchek's love letter to Attractive Woman #2 is one my favorite parts of the whole movie.

NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: O Lucky Man! (Anderson, 1973, UK) | Letterboxd | Last.fm

BBS Signature
Piggler
Piggler
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 33
Artist

At 7/22/14 10:18 PM, Dr-Worm wrote: @Piggler is picking this week's movie. Yaay @Piggler!

After some careful deliberation, I've decided.

This week's movie is O Lucky Man! (1973), an allegorical film about life in capitalist society. The film stars Malcolm McDowell returning as the character Mick Travis, whom he had previously played in the movie If.... (1968) and would later play again in Britannia Hospital (1982). All three movies were directed by Lindsay Anderson and several cast members are seen in each of the movies so it's kinda fun when you notice certain similarities between them.

If you find that you enjoyed watching O Lucky Man! and you'd like to start at the beginning of the Mick Travis movies, you can find the full version of If.... on YouTube here. I suppose this also works as a replacement for O Lucky Man! for someone who doesn't want to pay to rent the movie.

Feel free to review and watch one or both movies.

Cinema Club

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer

Looks like I'll be watching some Hitchcock this weekend then. That box set arrived and I was pretty paranoid that the case would arrive cracked, especially when I saw it was being delivered by Yodel. It's by no means a flimsy plastic casing but definitely looks like it'd be easily cracked if it was thrown around in transit. Thankfully, arrived in one piece and a really cool looking set. Wonder how many were made as this is number 1353.

Anyway, I'm probably going to watch through these in chronological order. Quite surprised to see a couple of these have an age rating of 18+. Never expect that with older films. Hopefully should be a refreshing change from the rest of my blu-rays regardless.

BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature
Dr-Worm
Dr-Worm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 1 day ago Reply

At 7/23/14 12:45 AM, Piggler wrote: After some careful deliberation, I've decided.

Since the pick was posted on Wednesday, we'll run it through next week. If people are having trouble finding O Lucky Man! this weekend/are generally not enthused about it, we'll just make If... the MotW instead. Sound good?

Great pick, though. I was actually considering choosing If... as my last MotW pick, too!

Also, folks should be forewarned that this movie is three hours long, so you should plan accordingly. Thanks for setting the precedent for long movies, though, because at some point in the future I do plan on picking Edward Yang's 4 hour long A Brighter Summer Day.

NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: O Lucky Man! (Anderson, 1973, UK) | Letterboxd | Last.fm

BBS Signature
Dr-Worm
Dr-Worm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 1 day ago Reply

Oh, also @Piggler, if you like If... I'd strongly encourage you to check out the short-lived French director Jean Vigo's 1933 short Zero for Conduct, which was a huge influence on the movie and has a similar boarding school rebellion story structure (though it's much more innocent), plus it's just one of my all-time favorites.

BBS Signature
HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Melancholy
Response to Cinema Club 20 hours ago Reply

I was just watching some of Cinema Sins' most recent videos on YouTube, and a specific element of the narrator's linguistic expressions hit me. I've heard him use it a few times before but never payed it much attention. I knew what it meant, but never gave it much thought as to what the specific meaning of the expression was when it came to cinema, television and movies.

The narrator often uses the "Ex Machina" from the expression "Deus Ex Machina", but he always uses it in combination with other words that he uses to replace the word Deus. Like in his video about the first TMNT movie he used it as "Telepathy Ex Machina" to mock the fact that at some point in the movie, somehow... Leonardo is able to be reached by Splinter telepathically when the latest is in danger of death, even though this power never was mentioned before and was never explained afterward.

And it made me wonder if you guys have any kind of interest for finding or discovering these things in movies, and if any of you had some specific examples of "Deus Ex Machina" events happening in movies and if you wanted to share them with me and other users who might be interested in this.

I could start things off with one of my personal favorites, which is basically the whole plot of the movie "Knowing" with Nicolas Cage. But for the sake of the discussion, I won't explain in details how this movie broke my soul in pieces, and I'll just focus on one of the aspects of the movie: The list of tragic events that will happen before the Earth is cleansed from mankind. If you guys didn't watch the movie, there is a list written by a little girl in the 1950's that predict very important catastrophic events that will happen in the future and that will kill a lot of humans. Somewhere during the movie, or maybe after the movie, you might start to ask yourself what is the intrinsic use of the list. And my answer to this is, well... nothing, it only serves the purpose of pushing Nicolas Cage's character into trying to understand the important events that will lead up to the end of the human race. But at no point is his participation ever required, and since these events are in someway linked to rational entities (who are apparently some kind of Aryan Angels), there is no kind of reason why the list should have ever been created. It only serves the function to make the movie plot move.

Anyway! If you guys are interested, feel free to share yours!

SithCorduroy
SithCorduroy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Art Lover
Response to Cinema Club 4 hours ago Reply

A complete, high quality copy of Expendables 3 has leaked onto the internet.

LOL. What a clusterfuck.

I remember when X-Men Origins: Wolverine leaked, but that was a workprint with some missing effects. This is the actual complete movie.

Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 3 hours ago Reply

Just watched Saboteur. Was alright but nothing special as far as I'm concerned. The ending went in a different direction to how I thought it would. Basically a man's friend dies, finds out he was actually killed and is then accused of being the killer. He goes off trying to hunt down the real killer and in the process uncovers a bigger conspiracy that the killer is a part of, meeting the more major people behind it along the way. Then as the film gets closer to the end he tracks down the person who killed his friend and the plot shifts away from the conspiracy stuff and back to catching the one guy who killed his friend. Then just kind of ended abruptly without any real closure on what happens in the grander scheme of things.

As a whole though, a decent enough film. I watched it all the way through without ever thinking it was boring and found myself wanting to know more about the conspiracy stuff. Just a shame that part of the plot didn't get proper closure.

Will watch Shadow of a Doubt tomorrow.

BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 10 minutes ago Reply

I watched two films.

The Secret of Kells

A nice Western animation film that is quite different from typical Disney and Pixar films. The artwork is inspired by Celtic drawings which gives some very pretty looking scenes. I like the voice-acting as well. I read complaints that it is flat and bland, but somehow it sounds more natural to me than what I usually hear in American animation films. One thing I didn't like about the film is the pacing of the story. Many scenes just fly by quickly while there are moments where the film should have slowed down to let the drama hit the viewer.

Hitchcock's North By Northwest

I can see why this is considered a classic. Somehow it felt like a very modern Hollywood film to me, even though it's 55 years old. I guess it's been very influential to later films within the same genre. Anyway, I liked it a lot although it's probably not my favourite Hitchcock film.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 12 July 2014)

BBS Signature