00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Destiny2Lover2 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Stand Up Comedy Crew

20,785 Views | 293 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-04-23 15:45:39

This crew is for fans of stand up comedy (as the name implies).
So obviously discussion and whatnot will mainly consist of stand up talk, stand up easily being one of the better forms of humour. And its theres good stuff on both sides of the Atlanica, so everybodies happy :).

There really isn't much to say to appease the mods... its different to other types of comedy...? Its not necessarily British... or Satirical... and even if it is, stand up doesn't get talked about there.

So join, talk and be merry :).

Naturally standard NG rules apply blah, blah, blah, but why wouldn't they?

Metal Hell ## Guitarists ## Stand Up Comedy

PSN: Look-a-Hill

Somewhere Over the Rainbow

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-04-24 16:19:24

bah humbug YOur working throuogh christmas

and stand up comedy is stupid

"They might forget what you said, but never how you made them feel"

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-04-24 17:20:49

At 4/24/08 04:19 PM, LakeWonder wrote: bah humbug YOur working throuogh christmas

and stand up comedy is stupid

You're watching the wrong stand up comedy then.

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-04-24 19:58:01

Gotta say I'm a big fan of stand up comedians such as Eddie Izzard, Bill Bailey (his fusion of music and comedy is brilliant), Dylan Moran (classic angry Irishman), and of course, Billy Connolly.

My friend showed me a DVD of a Robin Williams standup one time, and I have to say I couldn't really get into it. Maybe I just wasn't in the right mood, I dunno.

So yeah, I'll definitely join, sounds like much of the funs are to be had here. :)

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-04-24 20:08:52

At 4/24/08 07:58 PM, NEVR wrote: Gotta say I'm a big fan of stand up comedians such as Eddie Izzard, Bill Bailey (his fusion of music and comedy is brilliant), Dylan Moran (classic angry Irishman), and of course, Billy Connolly.

I love Bill Bailey, his DVDs are incredible.
I saw him live last November but as it was a big arena (in Glasgow) its difficult to be overwhelmed with laughter, naturally on TV the performer is much closer.
I want to see more Dylan Moran too, I've only seen snippets :(. But he seems like he'd be good live.

My friend showed me a DVD of a Robin Williams standup one time, and I have to say I couldn't really get into it. Maybe I just wasn't in the right mood, I dunno.

I've not liked what I've seen.
But I wouldn't say I'm into his style of comedy in the first place.

So yeah, I'll definitely join, sounds like much of the funs are to be had here. :)

W00t :).

I've realised I've not mentioned my favourite stand ups, so here goes:
Stewart Lee
Ross Noble
Bill Bailey
Ricky Gervais
George Carlin
Bill Hicks

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-04-24 20:20:59

At 4/24/08 08:08 PM, Nev wrote: I love Bill Bailey, his DVDs are incredible.

Absolutely... I bought one of my friends his Part Troll DVD for his 18th birthday a few years ago. Now I wish I'd bought it for myself, as every time I go into HMV they don't have a copy.

I saw him live last November but as it was a big arena (in Glasgow) its difficult to be overwhelmed with laughter, naturally on TV the performer is much closer.

Yeah, kinda ironic that. I've been to some gigs where the experience has been similar.

I want to see more Dylan Moran too, I've only seen snippets :(. But he seems like he'd be good live.

I have his Monster stand up on my iTunes (audio only, sadly), but it's a great set, I highly recommend it. I've listened to it many many times and it still makes me laugh. I've also seen that particular stand up on TV a few times.

I've not liked what I've seen.
But I wouldn't say I'm into his style of comedy in the first place.

No... it's just a bit weird. Not my thing, TBH. But hey, to each their own and all that.

I've realised I've not mentioned my favourite stand ups, so here goes:
Ross Noble

I quite like the noble-meister. First stand up of his I saw was a late-night TV spot during a lads night... we were all pretty drunk (and I suspect so was Noble, or maybe it was just the act), but it was hilarious.

Ricky Gervais

Gervais is the ONLY stand up act I've ever seen live. He was brilliant though, I literally ached from laughter after that show. *Nostalgia*

And I've just noticed... that my alias is spookily similar to yours... O_O

Together, with our similar aliases, we shall pioneer this club ;P

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-04-24 20:54:33

At 4/24/08 08:20 PM, NEVR wrote: I have his Monster stand up on my iTunes (audio only, sadly), but it's a great set, I highly recommend it.

I don't mind audio tracks... *wink, wink, wink*.
I've got all the podcasts of the Ricky Gervais Show and they're brilliant to listen to :).

I quite like the noble-meister. First stand up of his I saw was a late-night TV spot during a lads night... we were all pretty drunk (and I suspect so was Noble, or maybe it was just the act), but it was hilarious.

I think he's just a bit weird.
Amazing performer, given that its like 90% improvisation. I'd kill to see him live.
I have Randomist and a show from Regent Park. Both brilliant :).

Gervais is the ONLY stand up act I've ever seen live. He was brilliant though, I literally ached from laughter after that show. *Nostalgia*

My flatmate saw him on his Fame tour, and he agreed with me about what I said about Bill Bailey live.

Its much nicer in smaller environments, I saw Stewart Lee last thursday (who I assume you either don't know or don't like... if its the former youtube him, he's a god) and being like 5 feet from him was much nicer. I ached after that show :).

And I've just noticed... that my alias is spookily similar to yours... O_O
Together, with our similar aliases, we shall pioneer this club ;P

I saw that as well and I hoped people didn't think you were an alt of mine to give the (failed) illusion of company :P.

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-04-24 20:57:36

I'll join.

My favorites are George Carlin and Chris Rock.

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-04-24 20:59:39

At 4/24/08 08:57 PM, Jaketheclonetrooper wrote: I'll join.

My favorites are George Carlin and Chris Rock.

I watched Carlin's 'Life is Worth Losing' today :).
Its all on Google Video, which is convinient :).

A lot of his stuff is actually, its a good site for finding stand up shows.

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-04-24 21:57:35

Flight of the Concords
Bill Hicks
Lewis Black
Demetri Martin
Bill Bailey
Ian Hislop
Jimmy Carr
Andrew Lawrence
Katt Williams
Chris Rock

Etc.

Here I am, bored with everything.

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-04-24 22:26:43

At 4/24/08 09:57 PM, Idiosyncratic wrote: ...
Etc.

How very discussive :P.

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-04-24 23:28:05

At 4/24/08 10:26 PM, Nev wrote:
At 4/24/08 09:57 PM, Idiosyncratic wrote: ...
Etc.
How very discussive :P.

I suppose I got past the "joining process" then, right?

Is anyone a big fan of Mitch Hedberg? I want to know what is his best material for me to get.

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-04-25 08:24:30

At 4/24/08 11:28 PM, Idiosyncratic wrote: I suppose I got past the "joining process" then, right?

I wouldn't say there is a joining process.
You either like stand up comedy or you don't. Its not like the Metal Hell where you need to examine the interests to see whos worthy.

Is anyone a big fan of Mitch Hedberg? I want to know what is his best material for me to get.

Unfortunately no.
I've only seen a couple of clips :(.

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-04-25 08:34:15

At 4/25/08 08:24 AM, Nev wrote: I wouldn't say there is a joining process.
You either like stand up comedy or you don't. Its not like the Metal Hell where you need to examine the interests to see whos worthy.

Now that I thought about it, a joining process wouldn't make sense. Silly me.

Unfortunately no.
I've only seen a couple of clips :(.

Same with me. Comedy Central plays his special about twice a year, unfortunately, I don't know when it's on.

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-04-25 08:51:50

At 4/25/08 08:34 AM, Idiosyncratic wrote: Same with me. Comedy Central plays his special about twice a year, unfortunately, I don't know when it's on.

Theres a few 20 minute videos on Google Video, Comedy Central Special is one of them... although I'm not sure if they're meant to be longer than that or whether thats right.

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-04-25 13:07:56

I've seen Jimmy Carr, Bill Bailey, and Frank Skinner live. I can't help but think I've forgotten someone, but I think that's it, apart from Derren Brown, who you can't really class as stand up or a comedian, and the stand-up I've seen at Leeds/Reading.
All of them were brilliant though. I know what you mean about Bill Bailey's being slightly impersonal, but I was quite close at Jimmy Carr, and Frank Skinner was quite a nice small venue.

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-04-25 13:56:43

At 4/25/08 01:07 PM, HeartbreakHoldout wrote: I've seen Jimmy Carr, Bill Bailey, and Frank Skinner live.

My sister is going to see Jimmy Carr. She's really into his brand of comedy. I personally think he's good, and does have some very funny moments, but I get the feeling that sometimes he's just trying a bit hard. Maybe that's just me.

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-04-25 13:59:42

Also, do any of you actually find Dane Cook the least bit funny? He is possible the most unfunny comedian to ever exist, in my opinion.

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-04-25 17:10:23

Uhh I hate to bring bad news, but I have already made a stand up comedy club. If you wish to discuss it please go here So yeah...

"Quotation is a serviceable substitute for wit. "

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-04-25 17:21:08

At 4/25/08 05:10 PM, Odinman wrote: Uhh I hate to bring bad news, but I have already made a stand up comedy club. If you wish to discuss it please go here So yeah...

It's been inactive as of November last year, so I believe it's acceptable to make another one. Besides, this one hasn't been locked yet, so meh. I'll keep posting here for now.

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-04-26 10:57:37

At 4/25/08 05:10 PM, Odinman wrote: Uhh I hate to bring bad news, but I have already made a stand up comedy club. If you wish to discuss it please go here So yeah...

And no one knows about it anymore (just like NEVR said).
Times change, life moves on, etc, etc... deal with it... and join us!

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-04-26 12:10:02

my current favorites:

Demetri Martin
Billy Connolly
Patton Oswalt
Mike Birbiglia

my comedy CDs:

Demetri Martin - These Are Jokes
Jim Gaffigan - Doin' my Time
Patton Oswalt - Werewolves and Lollipops
Mike Birbiglia - Two Drink Mike
Mitch Fatel - Super Retardo
Mitch Hedberg - Mitch All Together
Daniel Tosh - True Stories I Made Up

my comedy videos:

Billy Connolly - Was it Something I Said?
Demetri Martin - Person
Comedy Central Presents: Demetri Martin (on the DVD that comes with These Are Jokes)
Jim Gaffigan - Beyond the Pale
Eddie Murphy - Delirious
Eddie Murphy - Raw
Dave Chapelle - Killin' 'Em Softly

And I think there's a couple of other vids I have that I can't recall.

I've been looking for any CDs by Jimmy Carr and by Billy Connolly to daolnwod. I've got nothing so far.

Also, I think I should add more standup to my Netflix queue. I have Rowan Atkinson's DVD on there and that's it.

Did anybody see John Oliver's performance on Comedy Central? I thought it was pretty good. It cracked me up.

At 4/24/08 11:28 PM, Idiosyncratic wrote: Is anyone a big fan of Mitch Hedberg? I want to know what is his best material for me to get.

Mitch is great. I don't know what his best would be, though. All I have is Mitch All Together. I had another one, but I don't have it anymore and I don't remember it.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-04-26 12:13:08

At 4/26/08 12:10 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: my current favorites:

Demetri Martin
Billy Connolly
Patton Oswalt
Mike Birbiglia

I left out a favorite. Louis C.K.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-04-27 10:20:13

Hey Nev! This sounds like a great idea!

Being Australian, I am quite impartial to Australian stand up. We have a great scene over here, with people like Charlie Pickering, Cameron Knight, Sam Simmons, Michael Chamberlin, legendary Steady Eddy, Dave Hughes, Wil Anderson, Adam Spencer and my favourite Aussie comedian Sam Bowring.

I'm not too educated in the people you're talking about... Bill Bailey for instance. Though as far as Americans go Eddy Murphy's films have always been some of my favourites.

I like Ross Noble though, i'll tell you that.

Well, i'm sure you guys can educate me on your favourite stand up comedians, and I hope I can bring some Aussie guys to your attention.

Permission to come aboard Nev!

Metal Hell.

Pill pop a dope a well run general hash pump a gonna led.

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-04-27 10:30:06

At 4/27/08 10:20 AM, PenisClown wrote: I like Ross Noble though, i'll tell you that.

He's married to an Aussie and lives there doesn't he? So I imagine his reputation is pretty good.
He's brilliant :).

Daniel Kitson's done well over in Oz too I believe.

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-04-27 10:31:51

At 4/27/08 10:30 AM, Nev wrote: He's married to an Aussie and lives there doesn't he? So I imagine his reputation is pretty good.
He's brilliant :).

Man, that's a real change of scene. From Newcastle to Australia.

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-04-27 10:33:32

Sam Bowring

Not the best, but alright.

"I'm going to skullfuck you to death without any legal consequences."

Metal Hell.

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-04-27 10:39:00

At 4/27/08 10:31 AM, HeartbreakHoldout wrote: Man, that's a real change of scene. From Newcastle to Australia.

Its a change of scene from Newcastle to anywhere. No one rivals them for incomprehensibility.
You've totally stole my rainbow uniqueness >:(!

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-04-27 10:42:07

We're all pretty rainbowy.... Though i'm more potatoey.

Metal Hell.

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-04-27 10:42:08

At 4/27/08 10:39 AM, Nev wrote: Its a change of scene from Newcastle to anywhere. No one rivals them for incomprehensibility.

There's parts of Ireland that probably would. And they'd probably have just as miserable weather.

You've totally stole my rainbow uniqueness >:(!

I can't remember whether I stole the concept from you or not...