00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

KermittTheGr8 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

New Voting System?

40,982 Views | 578 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-22 02:19:35

good idea i agree we should have a thums up thums down system keep up da good work

New Voting System?

Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-22 02:43:32

GO for it

Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-22 03:02:28

I think that thumbs up thumbs down is a good idea but it also sort of limits the voting because if some one has to choose that it is a thumbs down but really its in the middle then theres mistakes

i think there should be a
10% 20% 30% 40% 50% 60% 70% 80% 90% 100% scale because it gives a better understanding of what each user thinks of the flash game/movie.

Grounds Gold Ideas
It would be cool if there was a bar that goes along with my scale that shows how many votes you made under the certain percentage...

Well those are my thoughts
Oik

Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-22 03:07:57

If you could get this to work it will be awesome. But you have to plan it really well. You dont want to get almost done and end up figuring out that it just won't work.

I have a question about this though, how long will the switching of formats take? I hate missing a day of depositing my points.

you don't know if i'm joking or not

Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-22 05:30:48

3 options, 2 Thumbs up, 2 thumbs down, and 1 thumb each way...

Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-22 05:36:33

yup, go ahead, sounds okay. *being as I'm a lazy bastard and all* Can't be havin' with all these button-type things anyway.

Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-22 06:14:15

At 8/20/01 01:28 AM, TomFulp wrote:

" I have some crazy ideas for the site that I might implement over the next few months........."

There should still be some emphasis on a neutral
rating. Sure a lot of people vote high or low
however there is still a bunch of stuff that
doesn't completely blow yet isn't godlike either.
I've seen games..animations and submissions where
the idea is good however the actual animation lacks
something..or the idea is flawed but the overall
quality is good.
In those cases, where there is something that makes
the submission a 2, 3 or 4 there should be a way of
recognizing that.

New Voting System?

Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-22 06:23:50

I think that would be a great idea! IT would be heaps easier to figure out what the overall percentage of a movie/game is.
From BloodRunner.
PS.Keep up the great work on the site.

Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-22 07:02:46

Indeed it would be a good idea, it would save me having to decide whether or not movie should be a '2' or a '3', for example.

Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-22 07:40:57

At 8/20/01 01:28 AM, TomFulp wrote: "What we've noticed is that a lot of users vote either 0 or 5 on movies, because they want to either raise or lower the score. People are igoring 1-4 because there are so many voters and you need to be extreme to make a difference in a movies score.

"Sooo... What if we ditched the 0-5 system for a thumbs up / thumbs down system? Basically it would be a yay or nay, and we would calculate a score based on how many thumbs up for how many total votes. For example, if a movie has 10 votes, 6 being a thumbs up, it would have a score of 60%.

"It would simplify the voting process and the results might actually end up being better... We could still track light and dark users based on their vote vs. the score... So if a movie has an 80% and someone votes against it, that would still count towards making them a darker user."
I think that while it is a great idea, it should not be used. Implementing it would probably be too late to do. Would all of the movies that are in the top 50 of All time be ranked the same as the Turd of the Week right after this was applied? I think so.

Not only is that something that is going against it, but there is another thing: the way Tom thought about is that we use only TWO buttons. If we are gonna use this system, Mr. Fulp, we are gonna need THREE buttons; one for 'hell yeah this rules', one for 'who the flying fuck does this guy think he is?', and one for 'oh my god, this guy called all jews gay and I'm a jew'. (No, I am not jewish, but I am just using that as an example.)
If you can make sure nothing on the Portal moves, and you use 3 buttons instead of 2, its fine by me. But otherwise, this idea should not be used. E-mail me at downeyfelix@hotmail.com if you want to directly bring something to my attention.

Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-22 08:16:09

At 8/20/01 01:28 AM, TomFulp wrote: I have some crazy ideas for the site that I might implement over the next few months, but one involves changing the current voting system. I thought it would be good to get some feedback!

What we've noticed is that a lot of users vote either 0 or 5 on movies, because they want to either raise or lower the score. People are igoring 1-4 because there are so many voters and you need to be extreme to make a difference in a movies score.

Sooo... What if we ditched the 0-5 system for a thumbs up / thumbs down system? Basically it would be a yay or nay, and we would calculate a score based on how many thumbs up for how many total votes. For example, if a movie has 10 votes, 6 being a thumbs up, it would have a score of 60%.

It would simplify the voting process and the results might actually end up being better... We could still track light and dark users based on their vote vs. the score... So if a movie has an 80% and someone votes against it, that would still count towards making them a darker user.

What does everyone think of this?

I presonally like the current rating system and I usually dont use 5 or 0 but 1-4 I really like the current rating system

Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-22 08:29:48

The fact that I frequently see posts that say things such as "vote X, this movie sucks" proves that people are the problem and not the system. Everyone should know that "X" is reserved only for racist, stolen, or ridiculously offensive movies and that the only difference between it and "0" is that it notifies the NG staff. Because, there are too damn many idiots that don't know how to rate a movie, doesn't mean you should change the system.

I understand why you are thinking about changing it. I also understand that you are trying to make up for the people who seem too imbecilic to understand the X-5 system. I don't think it will work, although.

Also, (I know this was proposed before and it is a good idea) when someone votes "X," they should have to fill out a form explaining why the movie is offensive.

Perhaps, the 0-5 system should stay for early movies and be replaced by the thumbs up/down system once a movie has attained a few hundred votes. That is when 1-4 becomes a bit useless.

Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-22 08:58:06

You HAVE to have something for inbetween though man, what about having flix graded on more than one standard and their score being based on an average of the different scores?

t 8/20/01 01:28 AM, TomFulp wrote:

I have some crazy ideas for the site that I might implement over the next few months, but one involves changing the current voting system. I thought it would be good to get some feedback!

What we've noticed is that a lot of users vote either 0 or 5 on movies, because they want to either raise or lower the score. People are igoring 1-4 because there are so many voters and you need to be extreme to make a difference in a movies score.

Sooo... What if we ditched the 0-5 system for a thumbs up / thumbs down system? Basically it would be a yay or nay, and we would calculate a score based on how many thumbs up for how many total votes. For example, if a movie has 10 votes, 6 being a thumbs up, it would have a score of 60%.

It would simplify the voting process and the results might actually end up being better... We could still track light and dark users based on their vote vs. the score... So if a movie has an 80% and someone votes against it, that would still count towards making them a darker user.

Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-22 09:31:21

I agree with the guy that said there should be a neutral... and i don't know if i like the percentage idea but it could be better or worse depending on how it works... But very few people use 1-4 so it should have some sort of change. Maybe you should lower the whole scale so there would be 0 (thumbs down) .5 (neutral) and 1 (thumbs up) may make it easier for people to see...then avg that over amt of votes to get the score... well Tom you figure it out =)
Seth

New Voting System?

Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-22 10:11:13

RE: I think this would be a great idea. Like you said, so many people don't use 1-4 (I know I don't) And this would make it much easier...but we would lose the Pico face!!!!

Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-22 10:39:02

I think it's an awsome idea dude, you guys should go for it.

Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-22 12:30:24

yes or no voting would make it more of a "personal taste" issue rather than a qualatative issue but... i think it would be cool.oh...
P.S.
you guys are the bomb... I love this site... this is information and entertainment dissemination
and freedom at its finest. Keep up the great work.
hats off to ya.... cheers!

-ernest

Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-22 13:32:23

At 8/20/01 01:28 AM, TomFulp wrote: I have some crazy ideas for the site that I might implement over the next few months, but one involves changing the current voting system. I thought it would be good to get some feedback!

I'm not exactly crazy about that idea, I somewhat enjoy the current numerical system; I generally don't vote a X or 5 just because I want to lower a score, if I give an X it's because I think that movie deserves an X. I would personally prefer to see more numbers added to the current system, rather than the 'slash and burn' method you are suggesting.

New Voting System?

Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-22 14:18:26

THIS IDEA SUCKS!

Tom, almost EVERYBODY wants a middle button. So Thats?

Good
Ok
Bad

With a middle button I just dont see the point in changing it at all. Isnt that was voting 2-4 is? An ok movie.

The idea blows, and I think everybody is just sucking up...I'm just trying to give and HONEST opinion.

Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-22 16:09:06

At 8/20/01 01:28 AM, TomFulp wrote:

This would work only if there was a neutral stance as well. then you can have "suck" "whatever" and "neat"

Its all about the qualitative analysis, yo.

- 0 -

Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-22 16:51:00

i think that we instead of making it yay or nan should just shorten in make the system 1-4 because that i knoq of noone wants to take anything off permanatly or say it's just ok its either god or it isnt but there are levels of each maybe a 1-10 system where you just grade it yourself like if you think its good but not great you give it a 7.3 and if you dont like it but you dont hate it you give it a 4.7

Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-22 17:30:59

New voting sys sounds good to me.

Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-22 18:19:58

YESS! I totally agree (in fact i was thinking that except Thumbs up, and Leg being ripped of and thrown on the cat) But yours is better.

Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-22 18:34:26

Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-22 18:44:36

Yes! I have got it! Buttered Toast is Thumbs up Toast is Nuetral And bread is thumbs down
and Moldy bread is not obeying rules :O
HAHAHAHAAAaaa..... ??

Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-22 18:57:26

my idea:
every time u gaign a level, u gaign 1 blam vote.
u can apply this blam vote on a movie u dislike, when a movie reach 100 blam votes, its blammed, and all user intrested noticed. this kind of blam should be noticed in a blam page...

New Voting System?

Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-22 18:58:51

I think that's a great idea. Then there would be a clear way of determining the score, as opposed to the 1-5 system.

Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-22 20:09:20

That is a great idea.

Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-22 20:37:48

Why ruin a great thing? I think it's much harder to decide between just two choices then rank it according to what it deserves.

Leave it as it is please.

New Voting System?

Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-22 21:23:17

Awsome it's awsome don't dare change a dam thing! about the music PERFECT PERFECT PERFECT!!!

New Voting System?